Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

kxZyle posted:

I was originally supposed to only play this with my brother on weekends, but reading the hundreds of posts this thread gets each day inspired me to start an SP profile and do a solo playthrough.

I ended up playing until 5 AM so I guess this game is p addictive

I just left (then immediately, for loot, went back into) Fort Joy. Now every guard is dead :allears: I've got Lone Wolf Red Prince and Beast in the party specced for pure elemental magic. It's great fun.

To me, the greatest moment so far was the escape quest with the Aerothurge skillbooks guy. Gawin I think? I went to the alcove, teleported him down so I could keep the gloves, and he ran away alone angrily. I later got to the jail area through the fire slug cave, and not only did the dwarf in the cell where the original hole lead mention him, but I also ended up finding his corpse in the torture chamber. That's some amazing attention to detail.

Oh that's neat. Unfortunately, they didn't think of every detail. Even ones I specifically pointed out. In my case, I teleported him across like he wanted, then used Cloak of Shadows to teleport MYSELF across, and he didn't react, he was still talking at where I was. So before he finished, I went behind and pickpocketed him. That bugged out his script and he forgot to keep running after he gave up looking for the thief.

I reloaded and this time after I teleported across, I followed and waited until he was in combat, then I pickpocketed a bunch of gold and a couple skillbooks off him while he was in combat. His body still had the Teleport skillbook he was selling on it when I came back a little later.

Almost every guard in Fort Joy is dead now. I still have several in front of the prison and in the main chamber. I did pop out earlier for a moment just to complete the cat thing, but since I already killed all the guards who would be most annoying, it didn't matter much.

PirateBob posted:

Why do I only get 75% or 83% chance to hit while using a spear? It only requires Finesse 10 to use.

Is it a level above your character level? I think that higher level weapons have a -20% penalty to hit per level above yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Skuzal posted:

Compared to Divinity Original Sin 1, mages would start to fall off around level 10, but for this game, it feels like mages started the game off being similar to terms of damage and then past level 4, physical damage dealers just start scaling infinitely better. To the point where even if an enemy only has 600 magic armor and 2.5k physical armor, I wouldn't even bother attempting to do magic damage and instead just blow through that enemies physical armor seeing as how my 2 handed fighter can use 2 cooldowns and do 1500 points of burst damage to a single target meanwhile the mage struggles to do more than 600 damage in 2 turns.

Magic armour is easier to target via environment effects, so comparing direct damage dealt isn't really equivalent.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is it a level above your character level? I think that higher level weapons have a -20% penalty to hit per level above yours.

It was, yes. Thank you. :)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

am I missing something obvious

why am I losing out an attribute point when choosing pre-built Knight instead of Metamorph, considering I can just switch the points around anyway

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

frajaq posted:

am I missing something

why am I losing out an attribute point when choosing pre-built Knight instead of Metamorph, considering I can just switch the skills anyway

polymorph gives a bonus attribute point iirc

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

frajaq posted:

am I missing something obvious

why am I losing out an attribute point when choosing pre-built Knight instead of Metamorph, considering I can just switch the points around anyway

Points spent in Poly add stat points.

e: beaten

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress I feel dumb now, welp time to make a polymorph character for sure!

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Harrow posted:

Intelligence doesn't affect your summons, but you can use it to cast damage spells.

Staves can get bonuses from the Two-Handed ability and whatever elemental magic ability corresponds to the staff's element (like Pyrokinetic for a fire damage staff).

My favorite utility spells are in Aerotheurge (mostly teleportation spells) and they don't need your stats at all, or even very many points in Aerotheurge (2 points total for Teleport, Nether Swap, and Uncanny Evasion). A few points in Geomancer and Hydrotheurge will let you restore physical and magical armor easily, which can be helpful if you want the character to use summons for damage and then cast support spells otherwise (and Intelligence only affects magical damage, not healing or recovery, so you wouldn't even need to have much Intelligence if you plan to go full utility/support spells). For damage, Pyrokinetic is going to give you the best attack spells, but be careful that you don't set yourself on fire too much.

Because Summoning doesn't care about your stats, though, you could also do a physical build and use blood summons to deal physical damage with them, too. Summoning really works with anything as long as you're willing to put a lot of combat ability points into it.

good ideas, but how should i be distributing my skill points? what is the max i'd want in summoning before leaving it? i'm going to re-spec since I just hit act 2, but I'm not sure what the ideal distribution would be for max damage summons, plus some nuking and util spells from other schools, and maybe melee too??

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I'm one small push away from buying this since everything I've seen just oozes character and playfulness, but I have to ask:

Does this have as much fiddly inventory management as the first Original Sin? I enjoyed the gameplay and atmosphere a lot but after a while juggling items/backpacks really started to grate on me.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 20, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Act 1 final fight was pretty fun. For me the drillworm appeared on round 2, which was hilarious. Apparently when it appears is random, and for some it appears after you take care of most of the magisters, which makes it significantly easier.

It was also funny because Alexander said "you fool, do you see what monsters your magic is attracting???" even though I never used Source magic in the fight.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the 'best' outcome to the Migo situation?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Harrow posted:

Something that I haven't really tried yet but that seems like a no-brainer: cheesing respecs for civil abilities. I mentioned it earlier, but here are some ways I want to try it:

Do you not lose all your skills every time you respec anymore like you did in D:OS1?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

PirateBob posted:

Pickpocketing his amazing ring back from Yarrow after the peaceful resolution.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Clever Spambot posted:

Sounds good. But what of his armor? :ninja:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mzbundifund posted:

Do you not lose all your skills every time you respec anymore like you did in D:OS1?

Nope

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Clever Spambot posted:

How do you actually manage to do this? In my game the two are standing in such a way that you can't pickpocket Yarrow without Migo noticing because he's looking right at her and I don't think you can turn him around with another PC talking to him.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PirateBob posted:

Killing him and then killing Yarrow for being a dirty Magister

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

Why pickpocket when you can kill them both for a bit more exp as well as additional loot you can sell?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
They reaaallyyyyvneed to add a 2-3 turn cool down to totems and make them more interesting (auras that buff/debuff maybe). As-is a Summoner should always be summoning a totem every single turn, which is both powerful and boring as hell... kind of the death kiss for a tactical game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Larian made pickpocketing waaaay too easy to the point where it completely trivializes the game. I know player freedom is an important aspect in Divinity games but there should be serious consequences for committing crimes.

For example, it would be great if stealing poo poo from people in Fort Joy resulted in groups of Magisters patrolling the streets and performing pat-downs on people, including the player. Or if merchants had high-level guards with line of sight to all the valuables in their shops.

I also don't like how easy it is to get away with murder. After completing the arena I also killed the arena master and her group, and there were zero consequences for it. It would be great if the girl above ground (the one that originally suggests you should go down to the arena heard the commotion and alerted the guards.

Oh well, maybe in Divinity Original Sin 3 we'll get an actually realistic game world.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I don't think the magisters give a gently caress about you and what you do in Fort Joy. Sorry this isn't the state pen or county jail.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nephrite posted:

How do you actually manage to do this? In my game the two are standing in such a way that you can't pickpocket Yarrow without Migo noticing because he's looking right at her and I don't think you can turn him around with another PC talking to him.

I think it can be done if you follow her when she runs to see him. At first Migo will have his back turned to her.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

enraged_camel posted:

Larian made pickpocketing waaaay too easy to the point where it completely trivializes the game. I know player freedom is an important aspect in Divinity games but there should be serious consequences for committing crimes.

For example, it would be great if stealing poo poo from people in Fort Joy resulted in groups of Magisters patrolling the streets and performing pat-downs on people, including the player. Or if merchants had high-level guards with line of sight to all the valuables in their shops.

I also don't like how easy it is to get away with murder. After completing the arena I also killed the arena master and her group, and there were zero consequences for it. It would be great if the girl above ground (the one that originally suggests you should go down to the arena heard the commotion and alerted the guards.

Oh well, maybe in Divinity Original Sin 3 we'll get an actually realistic game world.

I agree about murder being largely consequence free but stealing is a constant hassle of patdowns and questioning for me and my group so i don't know how they could make it worse without the game being unplayable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

I don't think the magisters give a gently caress about you and what you do in Fort Joy. Sorry this isn't the state pen or county jail.

Do things get better in Driftwood and later?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Do things get better in Driftwood and later?

You can do stupid poo poo like TP vendors out of guards LOS and pickpocket them, so no not really. I don't really like the concept of infinite gold, so on my first playthrough I am opting out of using thievery at all(on classic mode at least, I feel like I were playing tactician I would use as much cheese as possible)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I guess? If anyone sees you fighting they will attack you. I'm not sure what sort of experience you are looking for. There isn't some king with town guard rolling around. There are multiple factions that control a bit of the world and they are all vying for power as well as trying to deal with the voidwoken scourge. They are sorta preoccupied. You get hassled by magisters for a writ of passage sometimes and other times you need to talk/fight your way out of a situation. You shouldn't expect the police to come knocking on your door with DNA evidence that you stole a ring off of Sally in the busy marketplace.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Am I the only one who just instantly used the teleport pyramids to re-unite everyone in the breaker caves when your party just got separated?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't know if the difficulty is high enough to need to respec and min/max like that. My buddy and I are blowing through the game on tactician co-op pretty easily with the premade characters. Difficulty might ramp up eventually tho, and we are grabbing every available quest for the XP.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Reporting back on the glass cannon tank (maxed out health char with glass cannon to draw AI aggro), I really feel like it is a winning combination. You don't get nearly as CC'd as you'd expect with it, even being the receiving end of every single CC in the first round. Enemies will frontload all the CC spells on the glass cannon and will stack bleeding, burning, entangled, crippled, knockdown all at once, effectively wasting them. DOT statuses don't do poo poo to a maxed out CON char. It even works when he gets charmed because his damage output, at least, for now, is severely lower than the rest of the team so he can't really do much damage to your own team. And yeah, he never, ever, ever dies. And in the off chance he does, morning person just makes the enemies have to do it all over again.

On the utility side, he holds like 30 resurrection scrolls and always has 6AP, so he can resurrect two chars per turn, which is usually way more than level appropriate enemies can kill (also everyone has morning person). He has all of the level 1-2 CC spells on warfare and polymorph. With skin graft, you're able to be the sole source of CC to a phys armor drained char every turn, forever. He has the shackles of pain helmet on him as well.

Another good char that plays well with this tank is a maxed out leadership char. I put all my leadership boosting items on him for a whopping 16 leadership. With that and items, all my chars (except the leadership one) have 60-70% resists in everything. Leadership is also bugged in that it gives you the same amount of dodge as it does resist, unlike what it says on the tooltip.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Spoiler: Stealing is always overpowered in any RPG, Larian just removed the tedious bullshit savescumming that has traditionally accompanied, and thus discouraged, it.

See also: Armors instead of arbitrary % chance to resist or, god help us, the worst mechanic this side of THAC0, saving throws.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah all of my guys ended up in what seems to be the least optimal places for their builds. I'll just tackle this one tomorrow I think.

Haste and Polymorph (for the wings) absolutely wreck this puzzle. Wings actually wrecks a lot of things in general.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

no_funeral posted:

good ideas, but how should i be distributing my skill points? what is the max i'd want in summoning before leaving it? i'm going to re-spec since I just hit act 2, but I'm not sure what the ideal distribution would be for max damage summons, plus some nuking and util spells from other schools, and maybe melee too??

You want as much Summoning as possible. Your summons' stats scale with your Summoning ability and your level, and nothing else, so pump Summoning as high as possible.

Early on, all you need is 2 or 3 in most abilities to use all the skills or spells you'll be able to find up to act 2. Increasing them further is obviously good for damage, but so is Intelligence, and with Lone Wolf you're getting a big bonus to both your ability and attribute scores so that helps a lot.

Mzbundifund posted:

Nope, not at all. You keep everything. It's pretty convenient.

nerdz posted:

Reporting back on the glass cannon tank (maxed out health char with glass cannon to draw AI aggro), I really feel like it is a winning combination.

Well poo poo, that sounds like it owns extremely hard. I'm going to have to give that a try.

It's weird to think that Glass Cannon is an awesome tank talent but, well, this is Divinity and Divinity is special :v:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Harrow posted:

Laser Ray is maybe the most damaging attack spell I know of.
Where can I get laser ray? Playing with friends, and we just finished a timed battle on a big boat where we had to survive. I haven't seen it yet, and am doing a lot of impalement + fireball combo. I like the idea of lasering people.

Also, that boat battle was no joke on tactician. I think the only reason why we didn't lose was teleporting the big guys up onto platforms while their teleport was on cooldown. If they were hitting Malady the whole time, I think we would have lot.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
can you have more than one summon up at a time? of different or same spell?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PerilPastry posted:

I'm one small push away from buying this since everything I've seen just oozes character and playfulness, but I have to ask:

Does this have as much fiddly inventory management as the first Original Sin? I enjoyed the gameplay and atmosphere a lot but after a while juggling items/backpacks really started to grate on me.
It's way better. Everyone's inventory appears in one panel now and there's easy auto sorting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

no_funeral posted:

can you have more than one summon up at a time? of different or same spell?

No, they will overwrite each other. Every character can have exactly 1 summon at any given time.

Totems do not count for this though.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Filthy Monkey posted:

Where can I get laser ray? Playing with friends, and we just finished a timed battle on a big boat where we had to survive. I haven't seen it yet, and am doing a lot of impalement + fireball combo. I like the idea of lasering people.

Also, that boat battle was no joke on tactician. I think the only reason why we didn't lose was teleporting the big guys up onto platforms while their teleport was on cooldown. If they were hitting Malady the whole time, I think we would have lot.

From any pyro vendor as long as you are high enough level. There is one in driftwood. Supernova hits harder than laser ray. Probably the hardest hitting non-source fire spell.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't know if the difficulty is high enough to need to respec and min/max like that. My buddy and I are blowing through the game on tactician co-op pretty easily with the premade characters. Difficulty might ramp up eventually tho, and we are grabbing every available quest for the XP.
My opinion on Tactician is that it's really the mode for Explorers more than anything. Gear makes a big difference so whatever you do to maximize that is more gainful than anything else. I've read of people just max'ing out lucky charm and feeling like they busted the game that way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I welcome thievery in this game because that's hours of me not picking up every single little scrap to buy 300 gold books each and upgrading gear.

More actual playing of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KyloWinter posted:

From any pyro vendor as long as you are high enough level. There is one in driftwood. Supernova hits harder than laser ray. Probably the hardest hitting non-source fire spell.

Yes, this is true. Laser Ray is the best ranged one, but Supernova hits harder if you're in range.