Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Golden Battler posted:

I have no idea how KS works but is it still possible to pledge/get backer rewards? That 4-pack for 90bucks would be a real money saver.

Check out Larian's website. Many kickstarters for games have website purchase portals once the kickstarter itself is closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some information from a Eurogamer interview

• Larian is in talks to do voice acting for the full game, but there's no guarantee that they'll actually do it.

The only reason I'd want Larian to do full voice acting is because it would cut down on their rambling writing and force them to, hopefully, be more concise. Jesus, for all the praise their writers give each other, they need to chill the heck out and edit their poo poo.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 13, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Elias_Maluco posted:

IDK I really like their writing

I just began playing Pillars of Eternity again, right after finishing D:OS, and PoE writing seems so bland and unimaginative while at the same time taking itself so seriously. D:OS writing at the other hand manages to be fun, interesting and very creative, while not taking itself seriously

I do agree that there a little too much of it, though

As much poo poo as I give Divinity OS for its writing, you and I feel exactly the same way regarding whatever poo poo Obsidian put out with PoE. It was almost like a kick in the nuts, given that I paid full price for PoE. :argh: It really put me off Obsidian game from here on out (unless they make Alpha Protocol 2, though :ohdear:).

I always felt PoE had better combat gameplay and artwork, but DoS kicked its rear end in every other category. DoS combat felt a little repetitive and slow.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 14, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Someone report him.

He's just been...sassassinated.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Slashrat posted:

I ended up prefering D:OS' turn-based combat over real-time with pause as well. It felt more satisfying tactical than the chaotic mess that combat in PoE and infinity engine games usually devolved into for me.

I thought PoE had great rtwp options. It was able to play almost just like synchronous turn-based, which is awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Divinity 2 was kinda cool and I'm sure I'm nostalgia-ing over it, but back when I played it it was *just enough*. Like, there was dialog, but it didn't go overboard, and it was kinda dry humor and not too tryhard and at times even clever. DoS at times felt like a writer's attempt at improv, like the dude wrote a few lines and then was all

and that cycle repeated for the entire project.

I'm kinda keeping an eye on DOS 2 and so far you guys make it sound like it'll be worth checking out.

Phlegmish posted:

I really liked my naked Cypher main character. Get in an opening crit with your crossbow, then start casting. PoE had a lot of interesting mechanics and ideas, even though not all of them worked that well or were fully realized. I feel like if they ever make a sequel and learn from the first game in an iterative way, it's going to be amazing.

As for the story and dialogue, the game had a dry tone and the overarching metaphysical theme really didn't do it for me, but I never found it to be badly written. Unengaging at worst.

I believe, Obsidian's new game, Tyrant, which uses the PoE engine (I'm almost certain) will probably iteratively improve upon PoE's already pretty solid gameplay. Unless they're toning down the combat mechanics, but that would be silly.

When I say the writing was bad I mean two things. One, that it was exceptionally unengaging. Half of the poo poo the characters were saying would have been better suited for an ingame encyclopedia (wasn't there already an encyclopedia? :laugh:), it was just bland exposition and repetitive scenery building. The second certainly adds to the first, which is that the story felt shoddily edited, as though a bunch of people wrote a few bits of dialog/scenes and pasted them together without any further editing so it feels slapdash and cluttered and inconsistent.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I like that idea, but I think it would encourage savescumming unless they could somehow safeguard against that.

Any saves made within the last ten minutes of that opened chest all get immediately seeded with that chest's destroyed item, and is creation timestamped and hashed, so you can't copy a savegame outside the savefolder and replace it. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

savescumming a game back to the beginning because a chest 10 hrs in doesnt have what you want?

You literally just described the smallest, but most vocal, playerbase of an rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

orcane posted:

Unless you tell players "your breaking the lock destroyed the +5 Sword of Power"

This would be amazing. :allears: