Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

The Red Cross sends me apparel with the slogan "Heroes for Babies" on it because apparently my blood is for babby. I wore some out today and 2 separate people tried to strike up a conversation about the anti-abortion cause with me while I was buying groceries.

"I'm pro abortion. Ensuring that babies who aren't able to be fully loved and supported aren't born into this world makes me a hero"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cw: medical poo poo involving newborns here so skip if you don't want to read that.

This is more by proxy but last weekend at work my partner got the joy of holding the amputated leg of a newborn baby. It's really disconcerting to hold a giant ball of tumour with the foot of a 1 day old kid sticking out of it. The leg was amputated after it was decided that there could be a chance that the kid would live. Today they confirmed out that the tumours had spread everywhere and that it's just palliative care now.

She's pretty beat up about dealing with this one and I can't blame her at all. It's not something I think I could ever deal with.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

US healthcare cluster-gently caress aside the key term to use (at least the one in Australia I've been told to use because it sets doctors in the right mindset) is that you 'present well'. ymmv obviously and I can't speak to the way things work over there but it may at least be worth a shot when you can see someone.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

In the middle of cooking dinner something decided to keep tripping the fuse for the lights. This meant finishing cooking by the torch on my phone which was less than ideal.

Having a bit of a look around didn't prove very useful as to what was causing the problem. If I can't find it tomorrow easy enough it's going to be an expensive day getting an electrician out.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cowslips Warren posted:

Turns out my battery is three years old, and the top got super corroded. The tow truck dude was loving nice and cleaned it for me, got it to start up a few tries later, and made sure I got home okay. I still need a new battery and a negative battery cable, so keeping the appointment at the mechanic tomorrow just in case it's more than that.

:gbsmith:

ps thanks for the starter info everyone. Know what to look out for if it ever comes up in my life and can now look like a wizard.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The thought of going back to work on Tuesday is stressing me out. I really need to get out of this drat job.

E:A huge amount of the stress is having to wake up at 245 every day to start at 4. It’s impossible to sleep properly on this schedule. Sleeping for night shift is easier than this.

Can you try a split sleeping pattern? Say sleep 20:45 - 2:45 and then have a nap for a few hours in the early afternoon. This way you're still going to bed at a somewhat less stupid hour and still getting your 8 in. I've found this to help me personally with having to work late when I can never sleep past 5am.

Obviously this doesn't fix the hours problem but at least it may allow you to have dinner with the people in your house.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I applied for a job last week, the day after I got an email from the manager to set up a call. It's been over a week and I haven't heard back to actually setup the call.

I can't stand my current job but I hate job hunting even more.

Send a follow up email or maybe even try calling them if you have a number. Clawing your way out of a poo poo job is a world of suck.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bargearse posted:

Got really drunk the other night, posted some really stupid poo poo that I got quite rightly called out for, then my doctor told me my blood pressure was "terrifyingly high" and if I don't make some lifestyle changes I can expect my first heart attack some time around my 45th birthday.

On the plus side, I finally gave up the booze, changed my diet and started going to the gym again. All my muscles hurt but it's been so long I'm practically starting again.

Out with the old Bargearse

In with the new

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My new supervisor is an rear end who seems hellbent on pissing off the freight company we have a security contract with. On the one hand I've been there long enough that when the torches and pitchforks happen the crosshairs will absolutely not be on me; on the other hand there's a non-zero chance of the company just going "gently caress it" and terminate the contract, in which case I'm probably out of a job because 'weekend overnight guard' is all I know how to do.

Can you go over their head to someone else? Sounds like the people up the top might be interested to know they're going to lose a contract thanks to this muppet.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Left my running belt in the gym with my ID and $50 in it. Hopefully who ever took it shows up on cctv but still pretty mad at myself for being so stupid.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jesus loving Christ dude how many Gods have you pissed off? Stay safe Invictus family.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I don't think it is legal and will be reporting you to the authorities

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Phy posted:

Been on my first bout of covid for a week, this morning I almost felt well enough to return to work until I popped a fever and elevated heart rate bad enough to call an ambulance about it, hooray

gently caress that sucks. Hope you're doing better now.

My partner had their first day back at work in nearly a month after popping hot and made it 2 hours before messaging me to come get them. Going from running 10k's to being too winded to thank someone for welcoming them back to work because talking is too hard isn't normal sickness poo poo. I'm probably gonna hulk out at anyone who says "it's just the flu" in my vicinity.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Posting on the nice page to say I haven't slept in ages thanks to a dog that has decided to not hold down food. Still interested in eating and lively otherwise so not likely to be something major wrong but cleaning up puke at 2am wasn't on my chore list until about 2:01.

:69snypa:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Wow OP you’re a big jerk

Sorry you had trouble getting the pizza you ordered.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Can you not then sue the doctors surgery for false / misleading information? Seems like lying about that should be grounds to shake them down in your capitalist dystopia.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Biplane posted:

Had an extremely long and convoluted nightmare about being trapped in a reality show thing where we were forced to kill zombies in an arena over and over until we all died. Sean Bean was there. Eventually four of us, out of a group of 20, managed to bust out of there only to find ourselves in a large hotel for round two, but the hotel was actually a palace overlooking a really weird "Hyde Park" in London. So Sean Bean, some guy, me and my girlfriend are clambering over rooftops to escape this shitshow and get into this park at ground level where Sean Bean has an uber waiting for us. Then there's like a movie timeskip to weeks later where my "character", who is apparently a catburglar, gets tricked into breaking into what turns out to be the zombie hotel for round two, at which point I wake up extremely rattled and shook. This is notable to me as I almost never have nightmares, and not this long and hosed up; It was all very detailed and coherent, and I remember it all, and I have been unable to get back to sleep for hours now. gently caress you brain!

You met Sean Bean? Cool!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

The thing is, it's been there a month. I don't think they've just been hanging on to it for a month waiting for someone to ask about it. So if I call... there's only one outcome where I can get the game, but many outcomes where I don't, and many of those outcomes might involve being lied to. It's just not worth it at this point; I'm almost certainly not getting the game back and contacting the people at the address I think will lead to me just being angrier.

At least complain to kickstarter. If you complain at them there is a real chance they'll get you a new copy sent to the correct address.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Greatbacon posted:

I loving hate technical interviews for software development.

Oh yeah, I've been doing this professionally for ten years; I excel in cloud infrastructure, project planning, and discovery & integration with 3rd party systems.

Oh, you want me to... implement a merge algorithm?

I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A DECADE I'M NOT A loving KID FRESH OUT OF COLLEGE THIS IS NOT WHAT THE JOB IS OR EVER WILL BE I KNOW I'VE BEEN IN THE loving KITCHEN!!!

Unfortunately more than 50% of the 'qualified' people going for this position right now will have made it to the interview stage and still fail at this hurdle. Just use the interview process to suss out if you can vibe with the team there too and let it wash over you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Currently under a tree playing chicken with lightning because the alternative is getting cold cocked by hail. This would be a lovely summer storm if it wasn't winter.

update: didn't die, didn't make it home dry though.

Inceltown has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Aug 30, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Put a 13kg pack on and go walk that hill again and see how you feel. That kind of hill would destroy me and I run regular marathons (but in flat areas so no real hill training to speak of)

Your achievements already are nothing to be ashamed of.

If you've been enjoying your hiking and can readily get to hills like that you can absolutely dominate things just by hiking up hills on the regular. That will really help you put on some muscle which is a lot denser than fat is and even if you've hit your goal weight will start making you look leaner.

Don't let this discourage you and instead use it to motivate you to keep pushing yourself along on this journey.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Got to go to kmart and buy some clothes for my friends grandfather because he's ended up in the hospital dementia ward with only a pair of crocs. So now shopping for clothes needs to be done so he can be flown interstate so they can get better care for him near them. We can't go to his place to get him clothes because all the locks were recently changed because his carer was stealing from him.

So I guess I'm not having anywhere near as bad a day as my friends are but it's still a pretty grim situation to be involved in.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My understanding was the difference is a fracture is like a crack in a coffee cup; it's visibly hosed, but still in one piece, and a break is when that crack is deep/severe enough for a chunk to come off completely.

My ex is mad at me for not remembering something from, like, 7 years ago. Ma'am, I had more friends back then, I didn't have as much attention to focus on you alone; I'm sorry I don't remember what job you had at the time.
"Why are you still talking to your ex?" Because we were best friends before dating, and except for this going back to being friends had been relatively painless.

She wants you to remember stuff from the pre covid era? That's asking too much. Some people alive today weren't even born then.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

At least she held off until they got home and could say goodbye

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My boss' boss continues to make me hate him just a little more every time I hear his name. The brain genius has decided that chairs will no longer be allowed in any Fed-Ex Freight guard shacks. Y'know, where the guards are on duty for 8 hour shifts, sometimes 12 or 16 at a time because the same knuckledragger keeps firing people and having difficulty finding replacements.
Chances of people (including me) just sitting on the drat floor: High.

That seems like it's probably illegal. Talk to your union guys.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This sounds like a problem that will solve itself soon enough

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

So mom's record of "every disease imaginable, every malady conceivable, has fallen at least a hundred times and been in deadly car accidents, and yet has still never broken a bone in her life" record remains intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Detheros posted:

No one in the manufacturing industry wants to hire me despite my 13 years in said industry

"No one wants to work!" lmao

The whole statement is "No one wants to work for the less than poverty wages I want to offer" but they leave the end off for some reason. Probably to save ink and keep paying people extra because they saved money there.