Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Unless there's some unheard-of benign tumor that spreads to other organs, my mom has Stage IV pancreatic cancer. Yes, that is a mix of denial and hope that I'm expressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is a happy moment OK in this thread?

GWBBQ posted:

Unless there's some unheard-of benign tumor that spreads to other organs, my mom has Stage IV pancreatic cancer. Yes, that is a mix of denial and hope that I'm expressing.
Just under 5 months later, mom has been under the care of a great Oncologist, had a checkup appointment with a doctor who's the #1 guy in the world for pancreatic cancer, and her tumor markers are down from over 1000 to 142 (0-37 is normal range) as of last week. We took the train into NYC a few weeks ago to see Dr. Abou-Alfa at MSK (the guy I linked above for those on mobile) and she was able to walk 13 blocks from Grand Central there and back.

I think she's going to be OK.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Yeah, he was a massive knob and it was loving humiliating. He got poo poo canned a few months back though thankfully, which is the only reason I actually bothered to try to take on this job.

But now this position has its own stresses that are driving me nuts and filling me with anxiety. I've noticed that as I am getting older, my fear of failure is getting more excruciating. This is probably due to the fact that I realize I'm running out of time and have accomplished basically none of my life goals. This isn't even a field I want to be a part of, but I feel like I need to stick this out as much as I can so I can at least get some financial support so I can do being a total loving loser.
I've never started a job with more than a vague idea of what I'm doing. Learn as you go, read up on what you're doing in your downtime, and explain to your coworkers that you're changing fields and might need help. Most reasonable people will be glad to help out someone new with what they know and you shouldn't be afraid to ask.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

$400 for a car cleaning lolwut. For $200 you could buy a steam cleaner AND a shop vac and do it all by yourself in 20 minutes. Nobody "has" to get a car cleaning. Are you entertaining diplimats or something?
Not sure where they live, but $400 for a thorough cleaning and detailing is on the high side but believable in my area. Steam cleaner, shop vac, air compressor to blow stuff out of vents, claybar for the exterior, ozone generator to get rid of any residual smells, plus taking a full day to do it all because you're not used to doing it for a living, it all really adds up.

fizzymercy posted:

Jeza you were right, no paranoia needed. You probably saved my drat life dude. Not going into specifics, but once I read your post I realized I was loving up and went to the ER. I'm in the ICU and doing better. My job is even giving me time with pay!

I can't believe I'm dumb enough to think I was going to work like that. Goddamn US working conditions had me seriously convinced risking horrible death was worth trying to show up anyway.
Moral of the story: if you hit your head hard, get checked out because you might not be thinking completely clearly. Glad to hear you're being treated and doing better.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

local scumbag found not guilty
http://connecticut.news12.com/story/39904486/fairfield-teacher-accused-of-exposing-himself-found-not-guilty

Picnic Princess posted:

It's -25C and my furnace stopped working. :toot:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression from the post your picture thread was that you're 150% Canadian and unable to feel cold.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

From experience, that's a good skill to have. I learned the hard way how to fix ours as it aged and ended up replacing it myself because lol at the idea of having an "emergency fund" for anything, nevermind $10000 for a new furnace, especially when you're supporting family with serious illness.

Regarding that "family member with serious illness" bit, I'll quote my first post in this thread from 2017

GWBBQ posted:

Her cancer is in remission and her doctors have her on what they expect to be one last round of chemo before surgery.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A good friends' mom was found on the floor at work yesterday and brought to the local hospital where they found a brain aneurysm. She was operated on there, then transferred to Yale New Haven for another surgery today. I've heard no updates other than that she was still unresponsive after the first surgery. Her mother just died a few months ago and that's fresh in everyone's minds, she's only in her 50s and was doing well when I saw her two weeks ago. "Life isn't fair" doesn't even begin to describe it. The whole family are literally the nicest people in the world, and even they can't catch a break.

Mikl posted:

I'm so loving tired, y'all.

My mum had surgery for cancer. Everything went fine, she's ok, and doctors expect her to make a full recovery. But for a while she can't do any physical work.

This means that for the past two weeks I've been taking care of her, cleaning her house, cooking, and doing housework, on top of doing the same for my house, and work. My dad's no help since he's absolutely useless when it comes to cleaning or cooking or the like. My sister would help but she lives a thousand miles away. The only thing that relaxes me is running and that's also tiring. Plus I'm transitioning and it's sapping my strength, so there's that.

I don't mean to complain, I'm happy to do it and I do it willingly. I'm just... Venting a bit, because I'm just so tired.
:glomp:

fizzymercy posted:

My Dad forgot who I was today. He thought I was his sister, who passed away from complications of Down Syndrome when I was 12. He was just so happy to see her and so excited to talk to her and you can't break the delusion so I had to pretend to be her. I don't care much for Alzheimer's, thank you very much. He's SEVENTY. I don't understand why people believe in a benevolent God when my perfect Dad has to be like this.

Why.
8 new posts in and I'm tearing up because I know how you all feel.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

A good friends' mom was found on the floor at work yesterday and brought to the local hospital where they found a brain aneurysm. She was operated on there, then transferred to Yale New Haven for another surgery today. I've heard no updates other than that she was still unresponsive after the first surgery. Her mother just died a few months ago and that's fresh in everyone's minds, she's only in her 50s and was doing well when I saw her two weeks ago. "Life isn't fair" doesn't even begin to describe it. The whole family are literally the nicest people in the world, and even they can't catch a break.
They had to pull the plug the other day.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I had my first hypoglycemic attack yesterday and took hours to recover. Now I'm at home and paranoid that every little "off" feeling is another one coming on and I'm taking my blood sugar constantly.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

She made it three years, that was a pretty good run. She went peacefully in her sleep this afternoon.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Another driver sideswiped me yesterday on the highway. That's what insurance is for, I'm fine and it wasn't enough of an impact to cause any serious injuries. But he panicked, floored it to get ahead of me, and ended up in a really bad crash. His passenger didn't make it. And now people are being exactly the kind of assholes you expect from local news comments with no respect for the completely innocent person who died. I'm not angry about the accident, people do stupid things when they panic. I just wish people would have some respect for the deceased passenger.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Today I encountered bees. They mostly went for my head. I counted 60+ stings to my scalp before running and screaming to my brother that, "Bees! Get the hose and soak me from head to toe until I tell you to stop!"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cleaned up my room today and bagged a whole lot of empty containers of liquor and wine that I had stuck in various inconspicuous places before I quit drinking for good. Went out tonight and got pizza, matched with someone on Tinder, and agreed to meet at a local bar (I was just going to get myself a soda). I was just standing around the local bar where we were going to meet, and was trying to disappear into the sidewalk while the cop who had been tailing me stared through my loving soul (I was nervous as hell because I don't trust cops even though I haven't had anything to drink in around a month). It became apparent that I had been stood up, so I stuck around until that cop drove off and I just stood around trying not to seem like a weirdo while I hoped in vain that my date was just running late. Meanwhile, my brother, who has been awesome regarding helping me stay sober, got back from a brewery trip and saw the bag of stuff I had cleaned up and kept calling me and semi-drunkenly yelled "You're full of poo poo!" over and over while refusing to believe that I didn't drink anything since the garbage bag of empty containers was right there.

I hope he'll be a bit more rational tomorrow and believe me. I'll take a blood test if I need to, I'm committed to not drinking and regardless of what he thinks, I'm going to keep on my straight and narrow path. I understand why he would be suspicious, but quitting drinking has been a huge positive change in my life recently and It's really upsetting to be called a liar when I've made that change and am sticking with it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have depression, anxiety, and severe insomnia, and I'm getting heat because it's affecting my performance at work. It's not helping that I have recurring nightmares since August when another driver hit me and tried to run but didn't make it far, and after I (and a bunch of other people) ran over to see if we could help, I could do nothing but stand by helplessly as the passenger choked to death on her own blood.

Garrand posted:

no money
I'm finally doing OK financially and nobody should have to go through that. PM me if you're OK with accepting help from some guy from the internet.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

do sinus infections cause massive thick yellow mucus tubes to constantly fill up your nose and sinuses

I remember having that happen a long long time ago, my head would be completely clogged and I'd blow my nose after waking up and like, these horrific yellow mucus "molds" of my nostrils and sinuses would end up on the tissue, just long connected tubes of mucus that looked kinda like flattened rigatoni or something. it was a bad time. to this day I have no idea what it was or what caused it.
That's one of the clearest symptoms. I get them once or twice a year with raging ear infections that feel like the utter fuckery of Dwarf Fortress is happening inside my head and not only do I get those "molds" you describe, it's typically the consistency of Silly Putty and I have to snort it back because I end up with lumps of it that are, no exaggeration, the size of golf balls. Feels much better once they're gone, though.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I am making GBS threads at work right now and there is someone in the stall next to me playing music on a speaker. Loudly.

I can't decide whether this is good or not but it is a first.
Either sing along or ask Google/Siri what song it is.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A friend went quiet and didn't respond to messages starting a couple of weeks ago. I assumed he was just really busy or on a work or vacation trip.

Another friend shared his obituary this morning. I don't know any details but I know what it usually means when they just say someone who's only 40 years old "passed away at home."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My blood sugar dropped to 52 and my right leg completely fell asleep.while I was sitting on the toilet.

I attempted to stand up, hit my head, had no feeling or control in my right leg from the knee down), and cartoonishly fell and fortunately did not hit my head.

I drove to CVS to get an ankle brace and comically wandered the aisles and spent 20 minutes looking for the one listed as In Stock until an employee asked if I needed help and informed me that it was on an endcap.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Biplane posted:

Holy gently caress I feel like I'm detoxing off heroin over here, can't sleep, sweating like mad, angry as hell. Why is nicotine even a thing. Why did I ever start? Well I know why I started, to look cool at parties LMAO. Good call idiot!
This and the post quoted below got me thinking, and I just 2ant to give yome encouragement.

Captain Invictus posted:

I swear there was a goon here who used an ultra pro card binder(for holding baseball/magic cards in 3x3 sleeve pages) and would put the cash he'd spend on cigarettes in a sleeve every time he resisted going to buy a pack or carton. by the time he considered himself totally free of their pull, he'd amassed something like eight grand in there.

but yeah, also just consider how much longer you'll likely live to enjoy time with your son in his lifetime if you stop smoking/chewing/whatevering tobacco products.
If I had done that, I would have quit drinking far before I did because when I looked back at my bank account and credit cards, I realized I was spending almost $7000-9000 a year on alcohol. On an average day I was drinking an entire 3L Bota Box of wine, 8-10 shots of 100 proof liquor, and 4-6 cans of heavy beer. I wasn't drinking because I enjoyed it, I was drinking to prevent withdrawal symptoms and when I stopped I had a seizure. I was lucky enough to have insurance that covered 10 days in rehab because I sure as hell couldn't afford the $17,000 it cost for that plus more than $16,000 for a year-long outpatient program.

My liver enzyme levels are down to the normal range after previously having been at 3x the ALT/AST ratio of alcoholic liver disease, I've lost 80 pounds, am still overweight but below the body fat percentage that's considered obese, and my hemoglobin A1C has dropped from 8.7 to 5.2 and while I have to keep with a low glycemic index diet, I beat the 'beetus.

I'm saying this because overcoming addiction is really, really hard, but you can do it. When you do, you'll look back and be happy that you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

After 4 weeks in a row of losing a family member or close friend, please give me a week to mentally process it all.