Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
This thread is for sharing stories and takes on The 5-Second-Rule. If you've got a take, or if you have just eaten something of the floor, or have an old story about something noteworthy that you've eaten of a floor; let's hear it. The 5-Second-Rule is also open to a lot of intrepretations, so if you feel like you've got a unique spin or take on it, let's hear it.

Most people are probably familiar with the 5-Second-Rule, or some variant of it, but let's be sure that we're on the same page. The 5-Second-Rule is a rule in cooking, which allows you to eat food that has been dropped on the floor, or to use an ingredient that has been dropped on the floor, if you manage to do so within 5 seconds. The 5-Second-Rule is more of a guideline than a rule, as some of these commonly used exemptions & extensions shows:

Did anyone see? Technically, the 5-Second-Rule is a social rule, and if nobody saw you drop the food, you can just eat it.

What kind of floors do you have? Most important is whether your floors are clean, but tiled or wooden floors may give you a time-bonus, whereas carpeted floors may incur penalty

How easy is the food to replace? How solid is the food? How badly did you want the food? - There is a near endless variety in circumstance that makes discussing the 5-Second-Rule interesting, so please, post your stories as they happen.

Here is my first story. I'm going to use a basic template that may make it easier for people to post their own stories, but don't feel like you have to restrict yourself to this format

The Food: A piece of hard candy, dropped from my hand & not in wrapper
The Floor: Beautiful & clean, hard wooden floor
The Time: Less than 5 Seconds
Did anyone see? No

All-in-all, an uncontroversial use of the 5-Second-Rule, I feel, allowing me to easily eat the piece of hard candy despite it having touched the floor. Another win for 5SR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
The Food: A single skittle
The Floor: Laminate? Floor in freshman (HS) Biology lab
The Time: During school
Did anyone see? Yes, it was a dare and I made $5

*also noteworthy, the skittle had been there for an unknown amount of time, definitely not within the 5 second time frame.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Peddle2thaMetal posted:

The Food: A single skittle
The Floor: Laminate? Floor in freshman (HS) Biology lab
The Time: During school
Did anyone see? Yes, it was a dare and I made $5

*also noteworthy, the skittle had been there for an unknown amount of time, definitely not within the 5 second time frame.

:pwn:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Betting is a huge possible exemption to the 5SR that I hadn't thought of. Clever.

Anyway, I haven't dropped any food on the ground and eaten it since the hard candy just earlier. Not trying to brag, but I don't drop food on the floor that often, but I'm hoping that all of the cooking goons in here aren't too proud to share their 5SR related stories in here, because I think that everyone would like to hear about what kind of food people eat of the floor.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
While backpacking I made bannock. While trying to get it unstuck from its pot, it ended up on the forest floor. So I picked it up and ate around the dirt and pine needles, It was the majority of my dinner and I didn't have anything else to make.

• Locked thread