Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao

Any of you guys run games and want to share stories?

I just started a roll20 5e campaign with a mix of irl and internet friends. I'm really impressed with how powerful the whole deal is. Having the core books integrated into the system, all the cool macro stuff, the soundcloud and tabletop audio integration, it's so flexible. I just started incorporating a monster manual which will macro out each mob's abilities, resistances, saving throws, anything that would be necessary to put encounters together on the fly.

Anyone got good resources to improve one's dm skills? I'm still very new to this system, so any advice or tips are appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce

I always just wing it and I usually get drunk too

FactsAreUseless

tao of lmao posted:

Anyone got good resources to improve one's dm skills? I'm still very new to this system, so any advice or tips are appreciated.
Run a system you actually enjoy. Be flexible. Plan things out ahead of time, but not in a railroady way. Have a sense of what your players might interact with, but if they don't, be prepared to re-use your ideas elsewhere. I reskinned a lot of encounters in 4e so that I could keep my planned battle but in a way that made sense for what was happening.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

tao of lmao posted:

:same:

Just started a 5e campaign last month, i am the DM and we are in the Flannaes/Greyhawk world as that was what we played in growing up and seemed to be about the only thing we would all feel familiar with. Thanks to everyone being super busy we aren't going to be able to play very often and its been decades since any of us played so this is good because i am somewhat baffled by all the rule changes since i last played.

Very interested to hear what current players of 5e think of the system and if anyone who used to play 1st and 2nd editions has any opinions on 5e.

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
I've never played in a small game though I've always wanted to. My RL friends were never into nerdy stuff like this so I never had anyone to share it with. One day I discovered New World of Darkness had a pretty big online roleplaying community and so I played on a few chat sites here and there. I quit years ago though because those people were just filled with drama. One PC couldn't disagree with another PC with out some one trying to call in admins and get some one banned over it.

I'm really interested in hearing about small games where people are chill and just joke around.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MrWillsauce

Dungeon World is very good

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FactsAreUseless posted:

Run a system you actually enjoy. Be flexible. Plan things out ahead of time, but not in a railroady way. Have a sense of what your players might interact with, but if they don't, be prepared to re-use your ideas elsewhere. I reskinned a lot of encounters in 4e so that I could keep my planned battle but in a way that made sense for what was happening.

Ya i am not a fan of the premade modules, though i do have fond memories of the classics from the 80s. My issue right now is understanding what seems to be a completely new and kind of hosed up combat system.

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Pre-made modules are boring if you have an experienced group who knows how to play a table top game. If you got people you're only just trying to get into the hobby it can be useful to showcase a game in a quick adventure that doesn't take weeks of commitment just to see if you'll like the game or not.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Also: am i the only one here who played in greyhawk and thought it was the best world?

tao of lmao

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah I prepare almost entirely in bullet points. I ran a 4e game years ago and learned my lessons on overplanning and railroading. Basically my pre-pro consists of me designing 3 or 4 encounters along with a handful of Witcher 3 style job board posts. This is very much a feeling-out period where I'm seeing how this group wants to play. Eventually one of these job postings will spin off into a fully fledged arc but I'm waiting for a few more sessions to fully establish the PC's both within the world and with each other. When I get home I'll post some of my various resources.

I also recommend watching Critical Role of you haven't. Not only is it super funny and awesome and great, you'll pick up a large portion of the 5e rules just from osmosis. Just keep in mind the crit role system is homebrewed a bit. Not all their systens will work strictly with 5e.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I have been playing tabletops for about 5 years.
Systems (amount of experience): 3.5 (2 sessions, didn't have my own book so I was going off of the DM's VERY light skimming of the players handbook) 4e (played once a week for a couple of months in a roll 20 group, had my own book this time) pathfinder (once a week for about 6 months in person, had my own books) deadlands (1/w for about 8 months, in person, pdf on my laptop) d20 modern (played once a week for 5 months, then 2 years later ran a game once a week for 3 months before switching to 5e) savage worlds (1/w for about a year, in person, used roommates book and pdfs, 2 seperate campaigns) a hosed up home brew mix of savage worlds and shadowrun (ran this game twice a month, for about 4 months. This is the first set of games I ran) FATE (3 sessions, nobody liked it except the DM) "Nuclear Nomads" (1 session, it was a friend's lovely clone of the fallout series) Deadlands Hell On Earth (1/week for 6 months, this is the last campaign I played with that DM and I managed to kill his story arc much to my pleasure) and finally, 5e (have my own books, been playing anywhere from once to four times a week for the past year and a half, I am running two games and playing in two others currently)

The only system I have played where we weren't playing a home brew setting and story is 5e, and I've found the books help me immensely as I am a terrible planner and terrible at coming up with character names, and the book provides names, locations, motivations, and other very useful tools. My players are saying they enjoy it but I guess it doesn't hurt that all but one of my them are new to gaming and have been introduced to the games I run through either myself or my girlfriend. The player that is not new has been playing as long as I have, but aggressively doesn't care about the games. We just recently started the Out of the Abyss book and I've finally convinced her that she needs to write down the weapons she plans on using and also write down what to roll and what to add to the roll. I don't know why she keeps coming but she doesn't disrupt the games so I don't mind it.

Oh I've also played some Call of Cthulhu (1/week for a total of a year. 2 seperate campaigns) but I have gotten so sick of horror themed gaming that I've blocked out those sessions for the most part. I only remember some stories that infuriated me from it.

I Was The Fury fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 22, 2016

loquacius

I used to have a play-by-post group of Internet buddies I played a bunch of games with, but they'd always flake out on actually playing games after a few weeks. I think they mostly just liked rolling up characters. We did D&D 3.5e, 4e, Eberron 3.5e, the Firefly RPG, the ASOIAF RPG, World of Darkness, both CoC and a Lovecraftian D20 Modern game... that might be it? None of them lasted long but they were all super fun while they lasted.

An IRL 3.5e group that broke up when one member moved away is trying to put something together in 5e using Roll20 and a rotating DM setup, but I've never DMed before and I'm nervous about my turn.

POWERBALL

by zen death robot
I want to learn to play d&d but I'm a single woman in my late twenties and am afraid of going to the game store so I'm upset you didn't invite me to this.

tao of lmao

I hate play by post formats. Tried it a couple times and there's nothing more immersion breaking than posting and having to wait for an undetermined amount of time.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

tao of lmao posted:

I hate play by post formats. Tried it a couple times and there's nothing more immersion breaking than posting and having to wait for an undetermined amount of time.

Yeah i've never tried play by post but from the ones I've lurked they seem very different than actually sitting around with people and playing, i assume it can work though because so many people seem to do it.

The last campaign i really played was with people i met in college and it was fueled by booze and buds and sometimes went for like 10-12 hours. Kind of tapered off when we tried it on shrooms though, and was actually the last time i ever shroomed, i was the DM and i ended up curled in a little ball on my bed waiting to come down.

I Was The Fury

POWERBALL posted:

I want to learn to play d&d but I'm a single woman in my late twenties and am afraid of going to the game store so I'm upset you didn't invite me to this.

Try and find an Internet group to play with. There's a few choices for virtual tabletops these days, like Roll20. You won't even have to leave your house and you can learn it all, and then teach it to interested friends who you can trust not to be like the dudes at a game store

loquacius

tao of lmao posted:

I like it because roleplaying is super easy if you have all the time you need to type up a post and can narrate yourself and don't have to worry about doing voices or whatever. I think out of the three ways I've tried (PbP, in person, and over voice chat w/ Roll20) I like voice chat and Roll20 the least. Roll20 is great and all, it's just that text chat doesn't have the advantage of PbP that lets you act in paragraphs rather than sentences and I hate voice chat because of lag.

POWERBALL posted:

Get your nerdier friends into it. They'll have fun. The only downside is you probably need at least one person with experience to DM.

loquacius

RE playing D&D on substances: y'know what's really hard is when you're playing a CHA-heavy rogue who is the "face" of the group, and the DM doesn't drink

because obviously all the players are gonna be drinking beer all drat day, and by the end of the day you're gonna be super tipsy and still have to "win" conversations with your sober friend

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

loquacius posted:

RE playing D&D on substances: y'know what's really hard is when you're playing a CHA-heavy rogue who is the "face" of the group, and the DM doesn't drink

because obviously all the players are gonna be drinking beer all drat day, and by the end of the day you're gonna be super tipsy and still have to "win" conversations with your sober friend

yeah we had some sessions where a few hours in i'd be explaining a situation/room/passageway and most people would be taking it in and thinking about it and then one guy would just kinda look up in a daze and say, "roll initiative right?"

I Was The Fury

Okay I've got a story. It's the introduction of Mike, a guy who will probably show up in further stories. At this point I have been playing with my current group for about 4 or 5 months, and we are starting to try out Deadlands, which is a system that mixes the wild west with eldritch magic and Sci fi technology that runs on basically magical uranium.

Anyways Mike shows up in the second session of our Deadlands game, invited by my at the time girlfriend and approved by the DM. He rolls up a sniper character that uses dynamite at short range, which is fine. Then he proceeds to be the most socially maladjusted individual, and not just in character. He decides he wants to use an accent. A British accent. Mike is not good at accents so his attempt at sophisticated noble comes across as chav with no teeth. However, he is an absolute damage monster due to the way the system allows you to build characters. His first and only suggested solution to any problem was to fire at it until it is not a problem. Obviously this causes some conflict in the town we are in. In an attempt to appease them and be liked more, Mike decides to join me and another player in our attempt to rescue some people from a burning building. Mike does not remove the dynamite he has strapped loosely to his legs (for quick easy access, you see). Mike proceeds to blow the gently caress up, and instead of rolling one set of damage, the DM rolls damage individually, causing me to lose a leg (I was our mobile twin revolvers death machine), the other player who ran in to become severely injured and suffer severe burn scars that made him ugly (he was our face), and causing Mike to pass out and be otherwise unharmed. Then, to add insult to injury, when we woke up in a hospital, our healer spends her 2 healing spells making sure Mike doesn't have any exhaustion. I proceed to try and murder him from my hospital bed by throwing anything I can reach. Nick, the other guy who ran in, just sits there sadly staring at his haracter sheet because he wasn't as sexy anymore. Thus began my vendetta

Knowing that his character is unliked by everyone including the NPCs, and telling us that his character blames the big bossman, Mike decides to carry out a plan that he assumes will commit suicide. He is going to build a duster jacket attached to eight revolvers lining the jacket that will fire straight forward when he whips open the front of his stupid chest fedora. Of course the DM isn't stupid so the big boss man has a reflection field emanating from his belt (a mid level gadget, and it something Mike was planning to build before he gave up on his character), which reflects all the bullets back at Mike and he goes down, much like he wanted. But our DM does not allow voluntary death, so Mikes character wakes up the next week lobotomized. His accent was forbidden, his own power to make his own decisions was forbidden, and he was supposed to just follow us around and kill what we pointed him at. The worst part of it all was that I was no longer allowed to hold my vendetta because "that was the old Leland. This one doesn't even know how to begin pissing you off"

Mike continued to be a pain, though for the rest of Deadlands he was only responsible for my capture by enemy forces one time, so that's not that horrible I guess.

I Was The Fury

Luvcow posted:

yeah we had some sessions where a few hours in i'd be explaining a situation/room/passageway and most people would be taking it in and thinking about it and then one guy would just kinda look up in a daze and say, "roll initiative right?"

My old DM forbade specifically me from drinking during his games because I would get bored during a 3 hour party split and start loudly talking to the other people who had been waiting to play. The more alcohol I had, the louder I got, and the more annoyed he would get.

He encouraged me to smoke weed while playing though, so that was good.

Sophy Wackles

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This isn't DnD, but I have a story about non-nerds trying to play a real life role-playing murder mystery game.

I had agreed to play Gamemaster for a murder mystery game with 15 or so 20-something adults. None of whom were nerdy types or had played a game like that before. Each person was supposed to role play as a character at a party where someone was murdered. They all had cards that had some info about their character, clues, etc. Then the game was to role play and talk to other party guests (as their characters) and figure out "who done it" at the end of the time.

I explained the game, the rules, what "role-playing" is, and I set the scene in character. Then I began the game. What do these people do? All loving 15 of them gather and stand in a big circle. Then they start reading their loving character cards and clues in turn, so as a group they can figure out who did it. :sigh:

I had to stop the game, and literally break/assign them into pairs or groups of 3 and tell them to role play in character and talk to other characters for clues, etc.

Turned out alright in the end, but drat they tried their hardest to ruin the game.

loquacius

I did one of those murder-mystery dinner games with a bunch of friends in college who were nerdy enough to at least grasp the concept, but everybody was super awkward and nervously recited their assigned conversational gambits near word-for-word from their cards

In particular, one girl who usually only ever wore jeans and hoodies got cajoled by her roommates into playing a femme fatale character and wearing a slinky dress to dinner. She basically never stopped blushing the whole time.

RE the Mike story: I really like the "oh no looks like you've been lobotomized, time to shut up forever" tactic but it seems pretty harsh to use on someone you like even if they're an idiot in-game

Scaly Haylie

tao of lmao posted:

Any of you guys run games and want to share stories?

I just started a roll20 5e campaign with a mix of irl and internet friends. I'm really impressed with how powerful the whole deal is. Having the core books integrated into the system, all the cool macro stuff, the soundcloud and tabletop audio integration, it's so flexible. I just started incorporating a monster manual which will macro out each mob's abilities, resistances, saving throws, anything that would be necessary to put encounters together on the fly.

I don't DM but I play in a Pathfinder group via Roll20 and what's this about Soundcloud?

tao of lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLI-oAyHFaA

This guy tangents way too much, but all his macro text is in the video description. It's going to be super handy once I get a good routine going.

tao of lmao

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't DM but I play in a Pathfinder group via Roll20 and what's this about Soundcloud?

DM's have the ability to search and pull in soundcloud files for music or sound effects. It's pretty great.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

Also: am i the only one here who played in greyhawk and thought it was the best world?

dragonlance ftw

----------------

I Was The Fury

loquacius posted:

I did one of those murder-mystery dinner games with a bunch of friends in college who were nerdy enough to at least grasp the concept, but everybody was super awkward and nervously recited their assigned conversational gambits near word-for-word from their cards

In particular, one girl who usually only ever wore jeans and hoodies got cajoled by her roommates into playing a femme fatale character and wearing a slinky dress to dinner. She basically never stopped blushing the whole time.

RE the Mike story: I really like the "oh no looks like you've been lobotomized, time to shut up forever" tactic but it seems pretty harsh to use on someone you like even if they're an idiot in-game

This DM was always harsh, hence the Texas ranger losing a leg and the group face losing most of his face. But it seemed like nobody really liked Mike, the opinion of him, depending on who you asked, ranged from neutral but awkward guy to creepy guy who i dont want to be around. One thing sort of in his favor is that I have never met anyone who will more vehemently defend the sanctity of book rules. He would get very mad at DM rulings that went against what he read in the book. Because of his devotion to the written word, he also knew the rules like the back of his hand, and could spend an hour making an optimized party of four characters that could tear down any reasonable encounter.

I'm pretty sure the only reason he didn't quit the shadowrun/savage worlds game I ran was because I let basically everyone build their idealized vision of a scifi badass. Whether that meant swarms of drones with syringe launchers full of sodium pentathol loaded needles, or a driver who has a riot tank but can drift it through an urban jungle, to Mikes war crime of a man in battle armor with a huge gently caress off sniper rifle, as well as twin machine pistols modified to fire explosive armor shredding rounds.

It was not a balanced game, but they enjoyed the hell out of it. Framing the Chippies (a hacker gang that produces and sells BTL chips) for the slaughter of a warehouse full of Road Heads (a Portland based biker gang that is starting to branch out to other mega cities).

Dropping a large fridge full of scrap metal on a freeway while moving at high speeds and flinging shrapnel everywhere to cause a traffic jam, just so the sniper can get a clean shot on the driver of a cargo truck.

Talking with a slave driver they've been hired to kill and pretending to want to buy a slave, then actually paying for said slave and hoping they receive it, then killing the slave driver, leaving mounds of evidence including camera evidence of their faces, and then still hoping their slave is on the way.

Abducting a hobo because they couldn't get their slave them implanting two cranial bombs in his skull, just in case one didn't convince him to comply.

I Was The Fury

Lizard Wizard posted:

What crazy hijinks has your group gotten into?

symbolic

some friends and i are hoping to start a Dresden Files campaign soon, if that counts

my character is Vanilla Ice :3:

tao of lmao

All tabletop rpgs are welcome to be discussed :)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Did anyone ever play Car Wars back in the 80s?

I Was The Fury

Luvcow posted:

Did anyone ever play Car Wars back in the 80s?

I bought the new car wars for my old roommate because he loves cars and said he was interested in one day running a tabletop game. As far as I know he made it a few pages into the small rulebook and gave up on it. It's a bummer, I really wanted to play.

loquacius

making a mental note of deadlands btw, sounds cool as h*ck

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I played Car Wars, Paranoia!, G.U.R.P.S., I started playing D&D when I was in the 9th grade back in 1980. I still play. I'm 51. YES I'M OLD.

The best advice I can give anyone is if you want to be a hero to your players, listen to them and react accordingly. What do they want to do? If you have a player in the group who's playing in character and has a reasonably clear vision for what he or she wants to play for a character, promote it and encourage it. It adds flavor to the game and makes it fun, and the other characters will generally follow suit and get into character as well. If you were planning for things to unfold a certain way but the players seem to want the game to go in another direction, try to accomodate and see where it goes. It's a group effort, after all.

Expect all your hard work and effort that you put into planning a campaign to go out the window as soon as they start playing, players will do that to you. You'll detail the hell out of the first 3 levels of a dungeon and they figure out a way to blast a hole in the floor that takes them straight to the treasure room, and all your hard work and planning are for naught. Having said that, proof your dungeon and try to avoid that kind of pitfall with a sort of dry run.

Plan the campaign, but just enough to keep the game flowing, and not so much as to be a chore. Keep it fun for you, too!

Killing off your players shouldn't be an objective, my playing style incorporates the concept that a player character is the main character in a book. George RR Martin aside, most authors try to keep their main characters alive, and in the limelight- but at the same time there's a need for risk and realism, or it becomes very 2-dimensional. You want to hurt a player? Take away their Sword of Ultimate Destruction for awhile in the form of a thieving band of kobolds when the party is resting.

Be descriptive! Describe the room, the weather, the smells, the food. Sure, the group is sitting in the living room covered in Cheeto dust in the real world, but they should be experiencing the musty dampness of the forest they're hanging out in, the smell of the campfire and the smell of the elk the party hunted down while it's roasting, the red eyes blinking on and off just outside of the light of the fire- these are the things that immerse the player and make them want to participate.

There's a line between being a "Monty Hall" DM, where you hand out prizes and give players whatever they want, and being a hardass DM where the rules are paramount and are followed to the letter. Find that happy medium, and you'll be golden.

Above all, have fun!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

I Was The Fury

symbolic posted:

some friends and i are hoping to start a Dresden Files campaign soon, if that counts

my character is Vanilla Ice :3:

As much as I recognize that the Dresden Files are pulpy trash novels, I love the heck out of the audiobooks and have listened to like half the series in about two months. I think it's an excellent setting for ttg, and have wanted to play in a modern urban fantasy setting for a long time. Unfortunately the people I know who run games either prefer horror (any era) or medieval tech fantasy (good old fashioned D&D)

Speaking of horror, let me tell you guys why I have grown to hate horror games. I earlier mentioned my strict DM who loves to give permanent punishments out to characters. Well for a long time, he was the only DM. Nobody else wanted to run games, and it's because despite being a ruthless rear end in a top hat sometimes. Andrew was a good writer, and knew how to build a setting and story arc. However, he also liked a lot of crap that is stereotypically liked by dumb nerds, like dr. Who, MLP, supernatural, sherlock, etc. Basically if it was produced by the BBC, is a relatively new cartoon show, or his girlfriend wanted to watch it, he ate it up. His favorite by far though was eldritch horror. Dude loved him some Lovecraft. Because of this, every campaign would have us facing an unknowable horror of unattainable power from an unintelligible civilization that died an unimaginable length of time ago. And it's starting to awaken.

For one game, we were playing Savage Worlds, as self inserts. Literally playing characters modeled after ourselves, and the stats were based on the rest of the group voting on where you stand in each stat. This is a bad idea because inevitably someone will be pissed when they realize everyone thinks they are weak. One of our players got offended because she was voted as the lowest constitution score possible, and only relented when Andrew reminded her that she skips every few weeks because she feels too sick, and has to lie down several hours into the game when she actually is there because, again, she feels faint and can't sit up anymore.

In addition to playing ourselves, we were told to submit 3-5 settings that we would like to play in, so that we definitely encounter something we want. I was joking around and submitted dumb poo poo like "village where purchasing power is based on how high you are" or "the realm of skatepark-world land" but included the real suggestion of "comic book superheroes". We will come back to this later.

Anyways, the story is that everyone gathers around the table on a typical Monday night to play some dnd, and suddenly a magical rift opens up, suckling us in and depositing us in a foreign jungle with only one item of our choice. We begin adventuring and realize we are in a dnd world. Game continues, people get magical powers while I opt to get a job in this new city, which ends up granting me some cool magic stones. Things are fun and going somewhat well. Then the rift happens again, and tears us away to a hosed up island in the sky, where the party gets permanently seperated for real time months. Then several of us get teleported to Wonderland, as in Alice in Wonderland. Just when I was thinking it could be fun, we come across a clearing, strewn with blood, and several card guards cut in half or torn to shreds. Now obviously this is not normal for AiW, so Alison, who submitted the setting because it's her favorite, gets mad. Andrew provides the explanation that we can probably get to the bottom of this. Fast forward, and I am now green-skinned and 3 feet tall, and strapped to a torture table. Alison manages to talk the torturer into flipping a switch he was told not to, which kills his friend, sends him into a rage, and ends in me getting bludgeoned to death while strapped to a table. Oh but wait I'm not dead and I wake up naked in the forest with no memory of how I got there. Fast forward, and now we are standing in front of a portal that leaves Wonderland. We are not leaving it in a better condition than we found it, and there's apparently some strange thing hunting us. So we go through the portal and end up in Silent Hill. So since I'm playing myself, and I happen to be a little bit familiar with silent hill, I immediately point out how hosed we are. Andrew says that I don't know where we are. I manage to argue the position that if I were in this situation, I would absolutely recognize all of the telltale signs he is giving us and also I've died like 4 times now so maybe I'm a little more accepting of reality falling apart. He says fine, I'm allowed to know that it's silent hill. Fast forward another few sessions and we are wandering the coal mines beneath silent Hill and then I fall down an elevator shafter and die again. Oh but wait I'm not dead I just lost an eye. And the coal mines were the way for us to reconnect with the group that split away back on hosed up floating island. So now the whole party is back together! And we go to a water treatment plant and end up fighting these strange black tentacles made of a substance we aren't familiar with that is extremely sharp but also gelatinous at the same time. And then we go through another rift and end up in a world based on a horror-fantastical version of 1920s london. Jack the Ripper is a threat, but so are vampires and werewolves and our group has been drafted to fight these horrors. I had already been turned into a werewolf against my will so now I'm worried they will kill me. I voice my concern and they immediately turn on me and I have to run, leading me outside where there happens to be a full moon so I transform and run off without any input from me. I wake up in a forest naked and lost, but this time it's an English forest so it's different. The campaign sputtered out shortly after that

All in all, as soon as we left the DnD town it turned into a horror campaign that led to 5 of my characters deaths, which all ended up just being some stupid deformity or handicap. Nobody else died a single time. One person was "crippled" by losing their hand for half a session, but then they got a bionic hand that was twice as strong as before. Meanwhile I lost an eye, one kidney, my roguish good looks, my humanity in general, and developed an addiction to a magic drug after one hit that caused withdrawals for 3 in game months afterwards. The only one of these that got solved was the addiction, in that he forgot about it and I stopped applying the penalty.

Next I will tell stories about Blake Johnson and the mystical choice that is not a choice.

I Was The Fury fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 22, 2016

Scaly Haylie

I Was The Fury posted:

What crazy hijinks has your group gotten into?

Once, our priest set up a simple trap and when he checked it, the DM said it contained only regrets. I immediately said "I take the regrets" and ended up with the physical embodiment of regret.

Later, we had to stop a religious monk frok executing someone, so as a last-ditch effort...

Me: "Hey, does this look corrupted to you?"
DM: "He takes the regrets. What would you like him to regret?"
Me: "uhhhh gimme a minute. Idunno, his life choices?"
DM: "...oh boy."

As it turns out, this monk was a Samsaran, a race that remembers all of their past lives. It was spectacular.

I Was The Fury

Lizard Wizard posted:

Once, our priest set up a simple trap and when he checked it, the DM said it contained only regrets. I immediately said "I take the regrets" and ended up with the physical embodiment of regret.

Later, we had to stop a religious monk frok executing someone, so as a last-ditch effort...

Me: "Hey, does this look corrupted to you?"
DM: "He takes the regrets. What would you like him to regret?"
Me: "uhhhh gimme a minute. Idunno, his life choices?"
DM: "...oh boy."

As it turns out, this monk was a Samsaran, a race that remembers all of their past lives. It was spectacular.

You see this is the kind of fun and whimsy I like in the games I play. You have a good DM

I Was The Fury

loquacius posted:

making a mental note of deadlands btw, sounds cool as h*ck

It is. And if you don't want wild west they also have hell on earth, which is a post apocalyptic deadlands, and deadlands noir, which is, as it sounds, a noir themed deadlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

On sunday my party, who for whatever reason more or less refuse to trust anyone, found the guy they were supposed to save guarded by a couple goblins. They dispatch the enemies quickly, then proceed to interrogate the prisoner. "What makes you so special they'd spare your life" blah blah. The npc, exhausted, shellshocked, has no idea how to respond, so our rogue assassin just fuckin shanks the guy. Everyone else panics. The barbarian is blocking the vision of an evaluator sent as part of their initiation into their adventurers guild while the cleric desperately feeds the prisoner a health pot.

Now, the assassin said that he was doing this jokingly but I wanted my players to take things slightly more seriously. For a first session it was funny to give their joking actions some consequences, which will hopefully inform decisions they make later on.

All week I had flashes in my head of the party hypothetically playing Weekend at Bernie's with the prisoner turning in the quest and just cracking myself up.

• Locked thread