Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Fort Halcycon
The Down Below

The lift doors slide open, emptying out into the Equites headquarters for the planet located in the mine complex of The Down Below. Your summons had been an urgent one, your previous duties were close to civilized land, which made your group an ideal one for rapid response assignments when Equite command didn't have time to get a courier out to a field group. Along the walls are several recruitment posters and paraphernalia to bring in new recruits. A timid looking squire manning the front desk asks for identification before pointing our group though the large double doors: ”You’re going to go down this hallway for about 200 meters and take a left at the armory doors. You want the.. ahhh... first office on the right from there I think.” A breeze of forced air into the mine combined with the significant depth of the mine changes the balmy topside weather to a nearly perfectly climate controlled chill of 12℃ year round. The squire himself nurses a warm cup of recaff in his gloved to stave off the chill in the air.

The hallway takes you through a section of the jail. Several people in ratty clothing jeer and yell as you pass, probably all they could do to distract themselves from their situation. A droning servitor shuffles past you going the other way, carrying trays of grey-brown gruel and plastic cups of water, no doubt tasked to feed the prisoners. The gallows awaited almost all of them, but the victims of their crimes would not be recompensed if they were allowed to starve to death before they hung.

Marshal Frederick McLacey meets you at the armory, it’s obvious he’s antsy and waiting for you. It's obvious that he's not much for small talk and idle banter. You merely share brief pleasantries as he leads you to the operations room. Further down the large hallway several PDF troopers can be seen in the distance of the mine hauling an oversized wheeled cannon into a storage rack.

The Marshal looks like his life had been a hard one. His face and arms are pock marked with bullet scars and his right hand is missing a thumb, pointer, and middle finger; having been replaced with some rough looking cybernetics that occasionally convulse and clink against his will. The revolver strapped to his side is so large one might think it would fit the hand of an Ogryn had they the manual dexterity to use one. The very stark, plain ops room is in an area bordering the Equites and PDF areas of the mine and is used by both forces in relative equal measure. He formally addresses you as you all sit down at the table.

”Thank you for taking the time to meet. I don’t want to waste any of your time, so I’ll make it short. I’ve got something I need you to look into, or should I say someone.” He says as he slides a dossier to the group. Upon opening it up, you see two pictures and what looks like a series of courier correspondence.

The Marshal continues ”The first image is William Margo, Sheriff of Red Rock Post and my former partner in the Equites. After our retirement from the field he got his post there as the sheriff and I got sent here. He’s been sheriff of Red Rock for two years now and near as I can tell it’s been fairly quiet. We’ve kept in correspondence not only because of our friendship, but also because of his charge. Meet Bernard Quigly.” he says, motioning you to turn the page to the next image

”Bernard went to Red Rock with William. Now if the name sounds familiar, it’s because Bernard is the son of Johann Quigly, a Marquis up in Hightower. Bernard is a wannabe-playboy and can at best be described as a high grade fuckup. He has bombed out of everything his father has assigned for him. He was sent away from the Hightower in an attempt to harden him and give him perspective on how good his life is. It was determined that Margo was a good role model to model Bernard after. So our brat was sent off to deputy under Margo under the assumption that Margo could keep him out of trouble and scare some discipline into him.“

“The problem is that we haven’t heard back from them in a while now. Margo had been sending updates via courier every two terran weeks, but the outpost has gone black and we haven’t heard from them in the last month and a half. Now it could be nothing, Margo has missed updates from time to time, but not for this long in a stretch. This is getting the Marquis all bent out of shape and is breathing down my neck for answers. Margo is harder than a trail biscuit and meaner than a pit viper when angered so I’m not too worried about him, but the Marquis would have my head if I didn’t do my due diligence to check after his beloved son. More than likely it’s probably going to be a milk run, but take no chances. Find Bernard and bring back proof of what happened to them in the last two months ”

The marshal stands up again and continues,“Your horses are being loaded on the Gamma-3 rail line, you unload at the Pale Dunes station and head due north, you’re looking at about two days ride, and you’ve got a courier outpost located a couple hours out from Pale Dunes along the road. You need to be topside in an hour to catch your train, until then, let me know if you have any questions.”

pre:
Mission Objectives
-Head to Red Rock Post and find the whereabouts of the Marquis’ son Bernard.
-Bring back proof of life (or death, barring the worst) to the Marshal in The Down Below.

Secondary Objectives
-Link up with Sheriff Margo to find out why the courier messages have stopped.
-If something unfound has happened to Bernard, root out the culprit and see them brought to justice.

Tertiary Objectives
-Minimize innocent Casualties
-If you encounter resistance, deal with it in however manner you see fit
-------

Feel free to ask McLacey any questions you may have. Eveyone check in here and we’ll get this show on the road.

Think of the Marquis as an advisor to the governor, a mid-to-higher level noble with enough push to make people’s lives unpleasant if he doesn’t get his way.

Out of Character thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790573&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Fort Halcyon
The Down Below

The marshal starts with the questions on the region, "There's not a lot of material wealth to be had at Red Rock. Geological surveys found mostly sandstone with only just enough iron throughout to rust out the landscape, nothing approaching viable resource gathering. Grox hearding is important to the area - it's away from the main rail lines that drive the calves and their mommas berserk, and the bandits generally don't like dealing with the odious fuckers because they require special equipment to pen up and counterfeit papers to sell to processing plants. One or two go missing every so often, usually found butchered a few clicks away and as much meat as could be carried drug off. Not in any amounts to qualify for a good black market haul mind you, and without refrigerated facilities or significant preservation techniques it won't last more than a couple of days before spoiling. Some entrepreneurial sorts in the city have also bred an edible starchy cactus and began scaling up some farms for it. Some stills were set up to take advantage of the farming and they now make cactus hooch from the pulp of the plant. Truly horrendous stuff, Margo sent me a bottle with a note that 'it makes a great gift for someone you hate'. I haven't found someone I dislike enough who's also willing to drink the swill" His hardened features soften as he chuckles softly to himself before he puts his stone face back on.

"Most of the bandits in the region stay nearer to the rail lines, hoping for people to wander away from the relative safety of the station towns with the larger outfits even trying to knock off a bank or train. Margo hasn't had trouble at Red Rock; there's just not a lot of money to be made by banditry on undrinkable cactus hooch and grox alone without mineral, technological, or financial wealth. Crime reports have been fairly vanilla, mostly drunken disorderly and property dispute dickwaving, nothing Margo wouldn't be able to handle with his deputies. One civvie got his heckles up and drew a gun on one of Margo's Deputies about 4 months ago, and he wound up hanging for that. Settin' an example and all that. All in all about as quiet as you can hope for from a sheriff's standpoint."

DeLacey takes a pull on a flask of recaff before continuing, I doubt you could find anything incriminating about the Marquis, I think he is allergic to anything remotely resembling fun. The man has a stick so far up his rear end he can probably taste hickory. If the Marquis has enemies, I don't know because he seems to treat his associates well enough. He's prim and proper to a fault but he has an honor code for his son's failures. If Bernard racked up gambling debts, Johann would pay it off with interest. If Bernard laid insult to a holy man, Johann made sure his son did his proper repentance. For all the kid's faults, I gotta hand it to Margo that he was able to scare some sense into him. Kid was apparently on the up and up, eased back on the drinking and stopped the womanizing and started picking up on some of Margo's wilderness training. Kid apparently idolized Margo, something about the sheriff did something for Bernard that the years of tutors and banquets couldn't. Bernard is there under an assumed identity; instead of being Bernard Quigly, son of a Marquis, he's Bernard Smith, illegitimate child of the Sheriff. Until we know otherwise, assume his cover hasn't been compromised."

"Aside from the sheriff's correspondence on the state of the kid and the town, the only other official correspondence comes from the town foreman every three terran months. Since this whole mess with his son started, the Marquis let me look at the last handful of correspondence and nothing looked out of sorts. Just information on monthly tithes and the due dates for the next grox drive. The last of the Foreman's letters came before the Sheriff went dark. The cogboys claim they are too busy to put more vox relay satellites into orbit and the PDF has determined these smaller towns to be non-critical for communications, so courier deliveries are the only way we have to keep in contact with them, and you in the field, might I add. Just more bureaucratic horseshit we have to contend with to do our jobs. No matter, we do what we must."

The Marshal fishes around in one of his pockets, "There's one more thing," He adds as he pulls out a steel disk about 3 centimeters in radius. The Disk itself is featureless and rather unremarkable save for the single penetrating bullet hole through the center of it. "If the worst has happened and Margo survived, he'll have gone to ground. Margo was former PDF scout before the equites, and during his duty he was trained to not only survive, but to thrive out in the wilds. Drop him on a cave on the moon with a pocket knife and the clothes on his back and he could dig in like a tick for a month. Back before the vox relay satellites, the PDF trained their scouts to set up a dead drop spot out in the wild where they would receive their orders. Margo knows that if he doesn't check in for too long I'm going to send someone out to look for him, and will probably do something similar. If it comes down to finding him expect clues in plain sight. If you see rocks arranged in unnatural ways or cut to smooth flat surface, it's probably him. He'll want to be found, but only by the 'right' people and he can and will misdirect anyone else. If you find his dead drop, he'll recognize this coin and know I sent you. Hopefully he'll try to reach out to you."

"Now if that's all, I believe you have a train to catch. Don't forget to swing buy the armory if you need provisions, though don't expect too much. PDF holds the purse strings and they've been getting stingy with the hand-me-downs."

-----

Upon leaving the office, you return the way you came until you hit the major crossroad, opting this time to proceed into the armory. A servo skull scans your badges as you enter and makes a doo-wop sound, alerting a bald, greasy ratling to your visit. He walks up to the service window and slides it open. "You lot must be the ones DeLacey told me bout, what'chya guys needin'?"

----

Everyone's checked in, yay! I'll let everyone make two requisition rolls at logistics rating 25. Bolt, Plasma, Melta, Power, and heavy weapons are forbidden. Less lethal (shock weapons, utility grenades) are +25, special ammo, other grenades, and weapon upgrades/customization are at +15 (treat all customization as being Average availability). Specialty tools and wargear will also be +10 though signal ops (Vox casters, signal jammers, and the like) are currently prohibited by the PDF due to restraints on the vox system. The metal density in the planet's crust interferes with traditional long range Vox relays and the only way to get signals out over longer distances is to bounce signal off of a limited number of satellite relays, the majority of which deal with air traffic control in the port cities and PDF comms between bases.

Go ahead and make the request and do the roll, I'll handle what you get depending on degrees of success/failure. I'm not going to completely stiff people because they roll bad, but they might not get exactly what they want.

Edit: For weapon upgrades and customization reqs assume that the quartermaster can install them for you with no extra skill roll.

Edit 2: Use Single Regiment for availability modifiers on page 163 of OW Core rulebook and +-0 for front/war conditions.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 27, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Eh, 41 is close enough, I'll let you have that since everyone else got at least one thing.

----------

Fort Halcyon
The Down Below

The quarter master sighs, The tools I use for gripping weapons got jacked by the PDF and the coggers say new ones on backorder for a couple of weeks. I won't be able to do handles, sorry. I'll see what I've got for the rest of you...

For Silas, the ratling pulls out the tension springs and the retention latch on his lasgun, running dry graphite lubrication along the points of contact and replacing the springs with a heavier gauge ones. "A-careful you don't jostle your gun around too much, your charge pack isn't in there as snug anymore and may pop loose if you strike the side too hard. Hit the pack release button and it should fly clear now, letting you get a new one in there quicker."

For Hale The armorer taker her spear into the back and runs it a drill press toward the base of the spear, away from the electrical prod. In each of the holes he threads a thin plasteel chain upon which both ecclesiastical symbols and the Hale family crest are set to dangle. The new additions jingle slightly as he walks back to the window and hands it back. "I made sure Father Preston up topside blessed it, just let me know if the chain snaps, I've got extras."

For Everett, the quartermaster takes a fair spot longer to find the supplies he needs. Sorry, last one we have in stock. he says as he puts a box up in the window labeled 'designated marksman barrel'. The speed at which he does a field teardown of the lasgun is really something, and from there it's a threaded screw and the longer barrel was in place. "Now you may need to re-align your sights, but you should know enough to do that in the field."

Finally, the ratling disappears to grab the other items. When he comes back, he's carrying a flakboard box and upturns it sloppily in the window. He hurridly passes out the stun and blind grenades to Cassamir and Silas and very gingerly slides a glass decanter over to Dr. Renton "I don't have Stimm in pre-prepared injectors, but you should have some empty syringes in your medikit to prepare your own. My extra sutures just got raided by the PDF to cover training accidents so I don't have any at the moment, sorry"

Finally, the Quartermaster gets a devilish look on his face "I uhh... may have something else for ya" he says, as he swings a leather satchel off his back. PDF put in an administrative order for more frag grenades for line infantry, but the administratum screwed it up and gave them these instead. The PDF can't use these with their grenade launchers and they aren't regulation for the demo teams, so they passed them to us. Check it out! He opens the satchel to several long tubes packed in silica sleeves. The instructions are written in neat script: Twist cap and pull to arm, detonates in 5 seconds. WARNING: Do not expose to water.

The quartermaster just handed you a satchel bag of dynamite.

----------

Hightower Rail Yard
Mid-Morning

The morning sun bears down on the rail yard, multiple reflections and glints off polished surfaces hit your eyes as you find your train. Around you several workers toil, mostly manning large cranes and other machines loading and unloading physical good off the rails and loading them on haulers to one of the many warehouses in the outskirts of the city. A single tech-priest is seen overseeing a small cadre of servitors as they buzz about, throwing switches to control which rail tracks are going where.

After getting topside, you all have just enough time to board the train before the last call. You are set up in an otherwise empty PDF bunk car located behind the regular passengers but before the cargo, right next to the car containing the horses. The beasts though unaccustomed to the train ride, seem to ease up when they see you show up. As you get settled in you all look at the enlarged map taking a section of the car's interior. By the looks of things, you should be at Pale Dunes by early afternoon and able to ride out to the courier outpost before nightfall. You should be able to hit Red Rock later in the evening tomorrow.

----------

Lol everyone failed custom grip rolls, but everyone got at least one req so it all works out.

Silas got his standard kit grenades, 2 blinds, 2 stuns.

Cassamir got 4 stun grenades.

Renton gets a 3 dose vial of stimm

Weapon customizations have been gotten if you passed the req roll and also as described above.

In addition, the quartermaster has given you a satchel full of tube charges. They are very specifically un-grenade like and cannot be used with traditional grenade launchers. There's enough in the satchel that everyone can have 1, or one person can just take all 5 if you want. These can be used like smaller, weaker demolition charges in a trap, you can throw them like grenades, and with an easy (+10) tech use roll multiples of them can be tied to one fuse, adding 2 damage and blast (1) for every charge added this way
(Throwing | 3d10x | Pen 0 | 2xSTR range | Blast (4)) - if you tie them all together, you're looking at 3d10 + 8 with Blast 8.

This is a stopgap update, you can go ahead and converse and do In-Character posts if you want, otherwise I'll write the other half of the update tomorrow.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 28, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Update is on hold until tonight or possibly tomorrow. Had an employee open a cryptolocker email and now we are scrambling to restore backups and FDisk employee computers.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Pale Dunes
Disembarkation

A hot breeze blows in from the south as the train rolls to a stop and the group gathers their things to roll out. The rail station here is significantly slower and more low-key compared to the hustle around the Hightower, most of the operations here by sleepy eyed attendants, not use to large amounts of cargo exchange outside of the occasional grox drives. It only takes a minute or two to get the horses off the rail car with Esteban and Espirit - both fussy in large parts during the trip - especially relieved to be away from the loud chug of the train cars. The main drag of the city is stark and bare bones, only suited to support the skeleton crew working this small rail line. In the doorway of the general store an older woman with a glass eye peers at you warily with he one good eye as you travel north on the way out of town.

The trail to Red Rock is fairly well walked. The beaten path is partially filled in with gravel with clear road markers along the way. This trail gets used fairly regularly during the grox drives but goes neglected for long stretches outside of that, getting partially reclaimed by nature little by little.

-----
Early Evening

The trail is a lonesome place, save for each other's company. You see not a soul until you get on approach to a sizable canyon. The trail rounds a series of jagged, needle like rock protrusions and as the bridge itself comes into view, you notice the distinct shapes of a cluster of people milling about the bridge. You all think nothing of the group at first, until Everett's well honed eyes catches the unmistakable glint of weapons hanging off of them. It's hard to tell at this distance what their game is. They don't seem to have noticed you, so it's possible for you to go off the trail and navigate your own way through the canyon, though it more than likely means camping in the canyon for the night.

------
I'm going to let you guys decide how you want to handle this, you can approach the group at the bridge directly which keeps you on schedule to get to Red Rock, or you can go off the road and navigate your own way though the canyon which will delay you by a couple of hours and means you're camping out away from the relative safety of the courier post

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Planning
On the Road to the courier outpost

After the group exchanges some words, Everett dismounts and circles wide, putting the sun to his back as he approaches the group camped out on the bridge. He uses the glare of the sun to mask his approach and gets positioned laying down behind a stone some 40 meters from the near end of the bridge. From his position and with the help of the scope on his rifle. he's able to see that the group is 6 strong, 3 on either side of the bridge, all male. Most are toting a smattering of lasrifles of varying patterns and conditions. One of the men on the far side is sporting what looks to be a sniper rifle under all the caked on grime, Everett wonder if the thing is even capable of shooting with all the filth it's seen. All the men have red bandannas tied around them on them, either around their belts, arms, or necks The leader of the men on the near side appears to have a pistol and a grox whip and judging by the body language has had just about enough of his men for the day.

One of his subordinates on the near side starts whining out loud not long after you get set up.'... don't understand why Hammerstein has us out here, we haven't seen a bloody thing for three days now. Not like this road gets any use outside the grox drives."

"Shut your face, ya eejit" barks the leader of the group, "If Hammerstein wants us out here, then we're going to be out here as long as it takes to get a haul. An if ya don't like it, then I can send ya off to the bottom of the canyon the quick way." he says as he starts shoving the weedy complainer toward the handrails of the bridge. The smaller man, now past complaining and now turned to indistinct shouting is silenced by the third man on the near side of the bridge speaking up to inform the others that people are coming as the rest of the equites make their approach.

The leader quickly drops whatever annoyance he had with his complaining compatriot and walks to head off the equites. He yells out as soon as you get in earshot, "Well now, aren't you all a sight, I was beginning to think we wouldn't see anybody today." He stops a couple of paces away, and pulls his coat back, revealing his pistol holster and whip coiled to either side of him. "You see here, there's a toll for crossing this bridge here." From this distance, you can see that he's missing a few teeth and his skin is pocked with scabs and lesions, he's probably riddled with scurvy.

The smaller man from before walks up from behind the leader, tugging at his coat, "Boss? We got a-"

The leader quickly spins on his heels and slaps the man bothering him, shouting "SHUT YER YAP MICK, THE ADULTS ARE TALKING," before turning back to the group. " Now we don't want to give you any trouble, but we'll need either your food, one of your horses, or one of your women. We promise to take real good care of whatever you decide to part with." he says, inciting mixed chuckles from among the non-slapped companions.

Before he can continue though, the smaller companion still doubled over shouts out loud to break his leader's speech "THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE" as he points out to Everett's position

The bridge guards all appear to visibly jump as they all start fumbling for their weapons.

---

Welcome to the 'getting to know your capabilities' newbie combat. Sorry about the creeper list of demands, but I wanted to make absolutely clear you should do terrible things to these guys and not feel bad.

The bad guys except for the smaller guy are all off balance at the ambush. Effectively you guys all have a surprise round. Go ahead and roll initiative with your next post.

Everett gets a 77 on his stealth roll, 1 degree of failure due to circumstances. He stealths up to the camp and sets up in a favorable position, but he is spotted at the last minute. He'll have the benefit of a full round aim on whatever he opts to shoot at during the surprise round. He's about 30 meters out from the others toward the canyon wall on the west side of the bridge. If he can't post between now and the next update he'll probably shoot someone on the far side of the bridge.

On the near side, the leader has a revolver and a groxwhip, the weedy guy has a lascarbine with a bayonet, and the third guy has a shotgun. Far side one has a poor quality sniper rifle, one has a laslock, and one has a m36 lasgun.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 4, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LGD posted:

Do you have a preferred combat stat block format we should be using?

It's convenient but not necessary.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The Charge of the Equites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKStpvGGDM

At the yelling of the weedy bandit, the equites jump into action. First in the fray is Cassamir who, through either righteous might or furious indignation comes crashing down upon the weedy kid, his chainsword revved up upon impact. The kid's surprise turns into shock as the chainsword catches in him across the belly and Saint crashes into him. The force of the blow knocks the kid backwards into the railing of the bridge, snapping his back and splitting the kid cleanly in half. His torso sprays gore as it topples down into the canyon below while his legs, no longer beholden to the rest of his body, take a ragged step or two before toppling to the ground. As the priest made his charge, Dr. Renton pulls her revolver into hand and takes aim at the shotgun bandit, putting a round into his left shoulder, the expander round tumbling in the wound and blowing a 3 cm hole out the other side. The man screams in pain as he finally brings his shotgun from off his back.

Silas, through rigorous training and muscle memory, has his rifle in his hands and fires a blast of lasfire off at the leader, who was cocking back his whip arm at Cassamir, no doubt to try and literally tie the old preacher up. His shots hit true, the first burning a hole in his right leg, the second lands right between the eyes and the third blows his right arm off his body and sets his clothing alight. The leader topples over, very dead.

Everett, once it was made clear that his position had been made, takes a shot at the man wielding the sniper rifle, no doubt currently the biggest threat to him. The shot burns the side of the sniper's face, not clean enough to kill, but he'll be feeling that for a while. The sniper screams in frustration and kneels down, gripping at the smoldering flesh that use to be his cheek.

Finally, Sunny takes charge, galloping full speed across the bridge with her shock lance in hand. She lands center mass on the lasgun wielding henchman and the shock discharger goes off. Sunny can hear the very audiable crack of the mans ribs as he is launched backwards into the dirt, no longer moving save for shallow breaths.

The Survivors of the initial onslaught start finding their footing however, and are prepared to return violence in kind.

----------

Surprise round of combat down. Weedy guy and the leader are very, very dead. Lasgun guy in the back is at critical damage and between the mounted charge strength check that he failed very badly, the shock that he failed by 1 degree of failure, and the critical impact 2 to the body he suffered he is straight up out of the fight, unconscious. Shotgun Guy and Sniper Guy are still standing, but will start taking critical damage when they get hit again.

Sunny's opposed strength check for mounted charge: http://orokos.com/roll/443466 Sunny Succeeds by a lot.
Badguy's shock toughness check: http://orokos.com/roll/443465 Badguy fails by 1 DOF, is stunned and fatigued.

BADGUY INITIATIVE, Ordered from Weedy, Leader, Shotgun, Sniper, Laslock, lasgun: http://orokos.com/roll/443436

Next Rounds turn order:
Cassamir/Renton
Weedy GuyDEAD
Lasgun Guy UNCONSCIOUS
Silas
Sniper Guy
Leader Guy DEAD
Laslock guy
Shotgun Guy
Everett
Sunny

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 7, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
On the road to the Courier outpost

The scuffle continues on between the bandits and the lawmen. The shotgun bandit readies his shotgun and levels it at Dr. Renton's direction, but she beats him to the punch she sends another round the bandit's direction, spiraling into his left leg. The bullet doesn't really shatter his kneecap so much as it explodes, sending a spray of arterial blood and bone fragments across both herself and Esteban. He falls to the ground and utters several screams of agony before expiring, his blood quickly being soaked up into the sand.

Cassamir on the other hand, doesn't have as much luck as his first attack. His mighty charge is foiled at the last moment - The priest's target, seeing how he handled his previous victim, tucks and rolls at the last minute, causing the priests swing to go wide and avoiding the hooves of his horse.

Silas takes aim at the grubby sniper, but his target is able to duck behind a cactus at the last moment. His cover sparks into flame as las bolts slam into it.

The sniper swings around from behind his now flaming cover, popping off a quick shot at Everett's direction, trying to get him back for his previous injury. Everett, dodges the shot by sheer dumb luck by adjusting his position due to an insect sting, causing the shot to whiz past the scout's ear and making the sniper swear in frustration.

Everett , having saved his face by mere happenstance, returns fire on the sniper. The shot ignites the sniper's face and hair - He screams in agony as he impulsively takes off running. The former sniper trips off a large stone and tumbles flaming face first down the canyon wall, coming to rest a couple meters down on a rocky outcropping. His face, no longer aflame, smolders as the sniper breathes his last.

Sunny, thinking she has the laslock bandit dead to rights takes charge. Unfortunately he bulk of Cassamir's horse coupled with the bucking of her own causes her swing to go wide.

The final standing bandit, smartly understanding he is now hopelessly outmanned and unable to run, drops his gun at his feet. He raises his arms to his head as he shouts "I give up, I didn't even like those guys anyway!"

-----

Combat ends as quick as it began. Laslock guy surrendered. With him and the unconscious lasgun guy you can choose to kill him here, take him with you to the courier outpost to turn them in to local law enforcement, question him, let him go, or any combination of the above

Two successful dodges from the badguys. The sniper guy gets 2 degrees of success on his dodge roll, negating both of Silas' hits. Cassamir's target also dodges the charge.

Sniper guy takes a half turn aim shot at Everett. Base 30 bs +10 range +10 single shot +20 half action aim w/accurate -20 (target prone) gets 2 degrees of success. Since Everett is laying down, he's at -20 to dodge and -20 for untrained dodge putting his dodge target at 6, which is normally a problem if he didn't roll a 4 on the roll, basically avoiding the shot through sheer dumb luck.

Sunny gets a +10 bonus to the attack due to double team, At base WS of 41 +20 (charge) + 10 (good quality + custom Grip) +10 (double team) +5 (close quarter drill) puts your target at 86, meaning you missed by 3. Close but not quite

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
On the road to the courier outpost

The now-captive bandit stammers to try and spit out an answer for the Equites. "I don't know man, they don't tell me poo poo. The only one of us that got to meet with the big boss was him" He says as he meekly points at the still burning corpse of the leader of the group. "Zane said that the boss keeps it compartmentalized or some poo poo. All I know is that up until recently we operated closer to pale dunes until he got the word to clear out, didn't say why, just that there was something in the works. Normally we'd be giving him a tribute, but with this last order he told us to keep our head down and that he wouldn't need anything from us 'till he called next. When we were in town we ran some black market - mostly drugs for the locals. It was Zane's idea to try and bump over caravans while we were on the down low, the stupid fucker. As far as any other groups go, like I said, the boss keeps this poo poo compartmentalized by design. I couldn't tell you another outfit due to having never met anyone from another outfit."

Elenor approaches the unconscious man, kicking his lasgun into the canyon before seeing to the prone bandit. With one hand on her revolver she uses her other to flip the man around, his shirt is torn and he groans in pain for obvious reason - the impact wasn't immediately lethal, but the star shaped bruise and the swelling indicated he probably has significant internal bleeding. It would be a tossup on if he could survive this without proper medical care.

Everett takes a glance down into the canyon. The man had not fallen far, he settled on a lip about 4 meters down. His gun had shook loose in the fall and landed about half a meter away from where the body landed. Everett calls his horse back to him and with a length of rope tied to the end of an extra horseshoe he is able to snag the strap of the gun and pull it back up to him. The gun somehow looks even grungier than it was through the sight of his scope, it looks like it was pulled out of a mud hole and not even bothered to be wiped off. While the mud and grime could easily be cleaned out with a field stripping, there is still enough spots of rust to potentially catch the action of the gun until hecan get it to a proper armorer to get the bolt replaced.

-----

The bandit you caught is basically just a stooge and the one that could give you a more detailed answer has a few too many holes in him to warrant being alive anymore. He'll generally try to be as helpful as he can out of fear of getting chainsawed in half, but he doesn't have any idea about the larger picture. The other one will basically be too busy being unconscious or in constant misery to be of any use, though his answers would of basically been the same.

Werix fishes a rifle out of the canyon and acquires a Poor Quality Sniper Rifle with the Unreliable Quality. You only have the ammunition that's in the standard magazine minus the one bullet that was shot at you. Since this is not part of your kit, you will need to track ammo for it. Once you get back to the armorer he'll be able to replace any bad parts, upgrading it to Common Quality again. Any of the other weapons are up for grabs, though I'm assuming the Shotgun is going to be the only thing of interest if Renton or someone wants it. The shotgun is common quality and comes with a full magazine and an extra 5 shells.

Let me know if you guys want to take the captives with you to the courier outpost to pass them off to local law, kill them where they stand, or let them go and we'll continue on. If anyone else wants one of the weapons just speak up.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 18, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
On the road to the courier outpost

The lone bandit stutters and stammers to find his words. He starts to belt out "I... i don't know wha-" but is shocked into silence as Hale rides over to the injured man, pulls out her revolver and puts a pair of slugs into his dying companion, finishing him off. The bandit softly swears under his breath, closes his eyes and points his face toward the sky. It's hard to tell if he's trying to avoid the nausea of seeing his friend executed in real time or if he's praying to get right with his maker. He wobbles slightly, looking as though he were about to pass out before he makes to speak again. "We were told to leave town in a hurry, no time for horses. We were hoping to knock over some couriers and take their horses." He barely gets to the end of his sentence before the color goes out of his face and he passes out, laid out face first on the desert sand.

It takes not but a few minutes to kick the corpses into the canyon and for Sunny to stow the shotgun in her pack. The bodies will have long been claimed for the desert by the time anyone found them and by her reckoning they probably would be missed by few. The survivor is hog tied and layed over the hind section of Dr Renton's horse. The man's weak constitution made for a quiet trip, he didn't regain consciousness until they arrived at their destination.

-----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksUGtB2KWW4
Courier outpost Bravo 3

Upon walking into the walled courier's outpost you are greeted by the outpost sergeant. A small, slender man weathered by age. He takes the hogtied prisoner from you, citing they'll ride him back to Pale Dunes in the morning and invites you to stay inside the dormitory for the night, a courtesy common in most courier outposts for equite travellers. Your horses are moved to the stables where they'll be fed and freshened for the morning. The courier post was manned by a skeleton crew, the couriers themselves being a fairly transient sort who go where needed, this outpost won't pick up in numbers until the next grox drive, still many months out. As a result the dorms are rather pleasant and well maintained, though still bearing the scars of the hustle and bustle of previous grox drives.

In the morning you'll set off again, you are still about half a day's ride out from Red Rock outpost, but your goal is proverbially within sight after the motion and the fury of the day.

-----

Half update for now, you can post reactions if you want, will try to post the other half tomorrow and get you in the town proper.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Red Rock Outpost - Midday

The rest of your journey to Red Rock was mostly uneventful. On your way through the outlaying areas you were able to catch the occasional whiff of the nearby Grox ranches. As you cross over a hill, you come into sight of what looks to be the distilling operation that the Marshal had mentioned in his briefing. The facility is belching out a heavy cloud of steam that, when the wind picks up in just the right way, makes you catch a whiff of what smells like unlaundered socks. It could be simply part of the distillation process, or it could be a poor first impression of what the town considers their local specialty, either way it's not leaving anyone feeling good about the prospect of drinking the stuff.

As you get to the edge of the city proper, you can see the hustle and bustle of some of the locals. From the distance you spot a couple of people in overalls mill about the town square chatting about who-knows-what. A stockade and gallows are set up not far from the chatting people. The stockade currently is holding one man in shackles, he rustles about and looks to be agitated, as you would expect any person in his current situation to be. The Gallows sits currently unoccupied, though you can see a man posting a sign in front of it. You can't read either from this distance.

-----

Alright, you guys are off the leash, you are free to follow your own tract for how you want to investigate. If you want to split up to cover more ground you can. If you want suggestions, you can check out the inn/tavern to secure stables/lodging and/or try to pick up on local rumors, try and talk to local citizens, try and find the sheriff's office, or do your own thing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Sheriff's Office
Red Rock Outpost

Sunny, Cassamir, and Everett make their way down the main drag of the city until they reach the Sheriff's building, obvious for what it was due to the extra fortification and heavier duty masonry to better withstand jailbreaks. The steel door echos readily when you knock on it, though nobody answers and the large padlock on it indicated that nobody was currently manning the station, which seems unusual. You ponder the situation when an old toothless man on a wooden rocking chair some 10 meters away speaks up in a harsh croak. "Nobody's there at the moment, the new sheriff just left on patrol. He'll be back in a couple 'a hours."

----------

Town Square
Dr. Renton and Silas make their way over to the stockades. A gaunt man fuzzy blonde hair is in shackles here, apparently long enough that he's mostly catatonic and unresponsive though still clearly alive. A note is scribbled in thick black ink and nailed to the stockades just under the man's chin: Erick Rimmler has been found guilty of Grox rustling and is sentenced to two weeks in the stockades before banishment from the city. All his possessions have been claimed by the municipality of Red Ridge and belongs to the Holy Emperor - Long May He Reign.

A pair of children run by too hastily as one runs head on into Renton's horse, bouncing off of the beast and landing on his butt. He grimaces and turns to face the pair of equites. Once he realizes they are strangers he starts trying to chat them up in a rapid barrage. "Hey you guys are ner around here arenchya? You ever see someone is stockades? Betchya they weren't as goody looking as this guy here. My daddy was sayin that he got 'rrested fer mindin his own grox, but don't tell anyone - " he leans in and give a sheepish grin "-it's a secret" The child puts a finger up to his mouth as the second child, realizing that his friend had fallen behind, came back and shoves the first one, causing the both of them to tear off running again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
We're not dead, I promise, I just had a week long election based existential hole I needed to climb out of is all.

Red Rock Outpost
Sheriff's Office

The old geezer hacks a couple of times before turning his head and spitting onto the ground. "You folks didn't hear? The old sheriff ran for the hills when his son lost his marbles. The way they are saying it, the kid shot and killed one of the other deputies and the Sheriff couldn't stand to see his own blood in chains. The old Sheriff's third in command - Deputy Winslow - is assuming the position until Hightower sends us a new sheriff. I don't think one's coming though, Winslow's been in the position almost a month now., though he said he sent a courier out when this first happened."

The old geezer chuckles softly at Sunny's question as his shaky hands fumbled around his pockets for a lho stick and then a lighter. "Do I look fit enough to be a lawman there, missy? I don't think anyone in this town would trust me with a set of keys. Anymore I just sit in my chair here and watch the world go by. "

Town Square

Dr. Renton gives the man in the stockades a couple of pulls from her waterskin to try and get him responsive, but is otherwise unable to coax any answers from him. It seems as though his time in his punishment as rendered him mad. His head lolls to the side and he doesn't seem to acknowledge any stimuli. His eyes, when they do wander, seem to pass over you as though you don't exist. As much as it pains you, even if he were to recover, the trauma he suffered might leave him invalid the rest of his life.

----------
If the Sheriff's office group has any more questions for your new toothless friend keep em coming. Team Town Square has gotten just about any useful information they can get from here, time to move on however way you see fit.

• Locked thread