Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Today is my first day having this IV drug which I will apparently need for the rest of my life. The first infusion takes three hours.

I'm bored out of my gourd. I've partially (mostly) completed seven nytimes crosswords already. They have lovely wifi but there is no cell service.

What is a six letter word for "freshman's topper" ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Beanie.

Do you have an ordinary catheter port in your arm like they'd give any other hospital patient, or did they give you like one of those permanent/semi-permanent ports on your upper-arm/chest/groin?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Beanie

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
What is a beanie idgi.

It is a normal cath. At first I have to get this again in two weeks and then I think three, but after that it is every eight weeks.

My bp is 101 over 66????

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
oh beanie is the crossword answer i get it now. thanks.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Why do you have to do drugs habitually?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
There is a TV but it only has four channels:

twc news
hgtv
food network
discovery channel

I didn't know such lovely cable packages existed. I bet it's still $79 a month.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

hth posted:

Why do you have to do drugs habitually?

Crohn's. I was taking a pill for it but it gave me pancreatitis which is painful as gently caress and obviously bad for you. Now that I can't take the easy pill these infusion things are apparently the only other viable option.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This drug costs something stupid like several thousand dollars a dose but my killer health insurance is paying for it all. The American health care system is totally fuckef but if you happen to be one of the lucky ones with nice insurance it appears to work well. Neat for me.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Ouch. Are you one of those people that got Crohns from poorly tested but FDA certified acne medication?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
whats on foot network right now?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Smash it Smash hit posted:

whats on foot network right now?

a fat old lady making a pie???

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That sounds like a lovely deal. Good thing about your insurance at least. HGTV is probably your best bet out of those four options, it's a decent channel to kill time with.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ouch. Are you one of those people that got Crohns from poorly tested but FDA certified acne medication?

um, not that i know of. I did take an acne med when i was a teen. acutain or something. who do i sue????

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

That sounds like a lovely deal. Good thing about your insurance at least. HGTV is probably your best bet out of those four options, it's a decent channel to kill time with.

i can't relate to these trust funders looking for a house with a half a million dollar budget

i want to watch some guy doing small favors for the local mob to make rent. what channel is that on

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

other people posted:

a fat old lady making a pie???

wow rude.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i need an eleven letter word for "subversive group". may contain a t, h, l, an a u.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

hit on some male nurses op

post the results

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

other people posted:

um, not that i know of. I did take an acne med when i was a teen. acutain or something. who do i sue????

Yup. Acutane has been linked to the development of Crohn's disease.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

other people posted:

It is a normal cath. At first I have to get this again in two weeks and then I think three, but after that it is every eight weeks.

My bp is 101 over 66????

Ah ok. Good. Permacatheters are not like, some horrible thing but you still wouldn't want to be in the circumstances that'd necessitate one.

101/66 isn't that crazy depending on the circumstances. Meds cause crazy fluctuations. From my limited hospital experience ears won't start twitching unless your bottom number is above 100 or below 40, or if your top number is over 180.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

other people posted:

i need an eleven letter word for "subversive group". may contain a t, h, l, an a u.

FifthColumn

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

you're amazing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

MA-Horus posted:

Yup. Acutane has been linked to the development of Crohn's disease.

holy poo poo. i am going to google this and then sue somebody. this is awesome. the wikipedia article on Crohn's never mentioned this >:(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The nurses have to jerk you off if you put your request in writing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Dumb question, but have you done elimination diets? Does that have any help whatsoever? A more reasonable question is will you ever be able to administer at home or could you have a pump installed?

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

other people posted:

This drug costs something stupid like several thousand dollars a dose but my killer health insurance is paying for it all. The American health care system is totally fuckef but if you happen to be one of the lucky ones with nice insurance it appears to work well. Neat for me.

Real talk

I had four remicade infusions done in 2001.

I haven't had a crohns symptom since, and I don't take any maintenance medications or follow any sort of strict diet.

My father has not been so lucky with crohns.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

I also took accutane...interesting

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
good luck with your tract!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Oscar Wild posted:

Dumb question, but have you done elimination diets? Does that have any help whatsoever? A more reasonable question is will you ever be able to administer at home or could you have a pump installed?

My understanding is that Crohn's is caused by the immune system overreacting for an unknown reason and attacking the digestive system. So while some diets or foods may be easier to digest, diet has no direct effect on the activity of the immune system which is causing all the inflammation.

Having said that, I've gone crazy over the past months trying to pin down what foods cause pain and nothing has ever panned out for me. I no longer drinkor consume caffeine, and I rarely eat meat. I've been tested for celiac's and an negative. I've lost a ton of weight though! 5'11" and just under 160 lbs now... with no end in sight! gently caress I hope this infusion poo poo works.

All done for the day now, obviously. I go back again in two weeks.

Oh, and I don't think I could give myself an IV at home. Nor would I want to.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I was in the ER with an IV on Friday because I got e. coli, but that's probably not going to be a regular thing. You'll find things to do, I'm sure. Maybe get a kindle.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Read The Stand. Read it in a hospital. See how long it takes for coughs to start freaking you out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I took Accutane too, is this going to happen to me? Sorry about it though, seriously. I'd hate to have to go through that.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
I was in the hospital overnight with an IV for a kidney stone recently. I got morphine and it's something that's gonna pass so it's way better than your circumstances OP

anyway sorry about your broken rear end hope you find something to do. being bored in the hospital is the worst. food network is generally pretty alright. chopped and cutthroat kitchen are great.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
get a 3DS bro

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Figure out a posting gimmick and run amok on the forums for 3 hours

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I kind of feel your pain. I have UC but from what my GI doc says it's very mild. I only take 2 Lialda pills a day but before I was diagnosed I was making GBS threads blood and mucous on the reg. I'm in remission now so I wish you luck.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat dude. Just had a Reuben and took a huge poo poo. You can vibe off me. :munch:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah. Use it as a good excuse to bring a book and get some real reading done. Bring some light paperwork.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my nigga have you tried LSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Turns out it all could be just some bacteria, yeast and fungus in your gut triggering it!

http://mbio.asm.org/content/7/5/e01250-16

• Locked thread