Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I'm sure everyone missed my terrible tank driving in the last games but I'm back! I noticed you guys didn't have any spares in the signup thread so I figured I'd join on incase you need someone to step in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Generation Internet posted:

You're right on time because we actually just lost a tank commander on this side!

Oh poo poo! Someone want to let me know which ones would fall under my command then? I noticed the T-64's seem to be under company command so that appears to leave the Abrams and the BMs.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Ah poo poo, I just got home, sorry. If I'm not horribly late, pair my Abrams and BM with the two from the other platoon and do whatever Barracuda said to do with the T-64 for now. Otherwise I guess I'll find out where my dudes went.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
1st Armored Ad hoc

Looks like these fine fellows are going to get out of our way so maintain current orders and get up that road.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, from the looks of it appears as though Chunky Monkey's tanks are literally within yards of getting LoS on that T-90. If they can draw the T-90's fire or disable it themselves, that'll greatly help in buying time for 1st Company to divert from their current route.

This is what I had in mind, the T-64 clone is probably poo poo and wont see anything but the Abrams can wreck a T-90 easy. Anyone have a good view from ground level there? I'm thinking the Abrams can pull off to the right as soon as it would have LoS on those positions, and the T-64 clone can continue up a ways until it can actually see anything.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Oldest Man posted:

That's actually my T64. Yours is on the other side of the map.

Ed: or do you mean the Bulat?

I mean the Bulat. I forgot the name and it's a T-64 clone so I just called it that, sorry for the confusion!

This is what I had in mind, the left most red circle is what I believe to be the Abrams, it should move up to the pink line, should have LoS from there. The other red circle is the Bulat, which should move along the Pink arrow to the tree (the green circle, it's a tree it's just hidden on the screenshot), and setup hull down under the tree if possible.

The other T-64 of mine can keep following Barracuda's orders.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Willie Tomg posted:

I can't testify to the optics, but the gun is literally the same gun on the T-90 currently pushing 1st Co's poo poo in right now.

It's a loving tank on a side that is otherwise equipped with turreted trucks. Don't sell yourself short.

True, I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge. I tried looking up the real stats for the vehicle and it looks like the max effective range is 2500m, which is probably about how far away that T-90 is. I had originally thought it was one of the 1980's modernizations of the T-64 but it was actually done in the 2000's so it might turn out decent.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I can keep these guys busy here for now denying them from getting at our squishy innards if that's what's needed. Also keep in mind that my T-64 is detached and working with 2Co to flank.

Edit: I'd like to move after the next 2 turn cycle though. While we are worrying about using mortars on a T-90, I expect the Russians to be a bit more liberal with their artillery, especially considering what they saw coming out of there.

Chunky Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 16, 2016

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Bacarruda posted:

Good hunting.

If they've managed to get T-90s up this far, I'd expect to see some mech infantry coming up behind them to dismount near MSR Eagle to protect their tanks' flanks.

It's like you're some kind of time wizard.

If anyone has any new requests for armor, let me know, otherwise I think I can get away with another 2 turns standing pat (well moving the Abrams out from behind that smoke, but besides that).

Orders:

Bulat can stay where it is. Abrams should reverse along pink and then push up into the trees there. T-64 can continue with 2co.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

dtkozl posted:

In CM the victory goes to the guy that got in position first.

For the same reason Chunkey I'd be more comfortable if you just left that tank along, moving that much is giving a free spot to those t-90s.
Forgive me if this is clear to everyone else but doesn't that smoke mean my Abrams can't see poo poo for a couple minutes until it dissipates?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I'm thinking I'll hold position overlooking X-ray for now, if no one has any objections (excluding the t-64 that is either going to get it's poo poo pushed in, or push in some Russkie poo poo).

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
The Russians seem scared, they must think we have much greater numbers than we actually do.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Willie Tomg posted:

To whom it may concern: For the love of gently caress before deploying the apaches please drone recon the russian spawn and confirm there isn't a tunguska or shilka in the theater and if there is I nominate that fucker to receive our first guided artillery shell.

Yeah using our drone to spot Russian AAA is probably for the best before we go calling in murderchoppers that are just going to die. Because that has never happened before.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

ro5s posted:

It looked like that tank on Eagle moved aside to clear the road last turn, so something might be coming our way.

I would agree with this sentiment, it looks like something will be coming down that road, possibly the retreated troops from FOD?

Also, I think they are going to artillery right between my two tanks on MSR Trump, which kinda cuts my Bulat off from falling back but they have armor overlooking that and haven't shot at it so I'm wondering if they even know it's there.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Can we call in the helo then cancel it later if the drone gets filled with holes? If so, I'd say we make the call now. Also is it time based? Like you call it in for X amount of time and then it's gone for 20 minutes to refuel? Or is it a one time thing and it sticks around until we win or it dies?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Oldest Man posted:

We must deny use of X Ray to the enemy.

Well I have this covered anyway.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I feel like someone should scout our alt exit, just to see if the Russians have pushed into it, you know, before we send the trucks there to die. Maybe one of those units that is sitting at the back not getting orders? Or possibly one of the BTR's that unloaded/are unloading could go back and pick up that bogged HQ unit and do it?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
1st Armored Ad-hoc

I'm posting actual orders, I know, it's crazy.

Abrams should HUNT forward to the edge of the forest along PINK.

Bulat should reverse HUNT (keep front to Russians) along RED. Then HUNT forward along PINK to the tree line at the junction.

Apparently you can't reverse hunt. Just reverse is fine then.

Chunky Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 4, 2016

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

dtkozl posted:

Chunky I need you to ignore the crossroads and move quick up to where first company is. The AT4s can cover what you are covering, your tanks are redundant.

I'm not concerned about who's covering the crossroads, I'm concerned about getting shot.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

dtkozl posted:

You are moving in a way that is far more likely to get you shot my man. Just reverse to the west then quick move up to 1co once you are behind the cover of the trees on the western side of junction. What you are doing now is walking right into the engagement area of tanks on the other side of junction!

Something like this:

I understand B tank might be dicey so if you just want to leave him there doing nothing fine, but A will have no problems getting up there. Did you lose your third tank? Why isnt he in the fight?

Does this better suit your request?

Bulat to QUICK along yellow, then QUICK along Pink and poke through the trees overlooking that valley.

Abrams to QUICK along green, then QUICK along pink after the Bulat, unless the Bulat gets shot at, then seek nearest cover.

fake edit: good lord that picture is huge

real edit: Also, yes, my T-64BV is playing anti armor asset for 2Co at the moment.

Chunky Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 5, 2016

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

dtkozl posted:

He could drive into fist and help out A company/BAT grenade launchers there, he could drive behind a CO 1st plt and either poke his nose north through the tree line or continue and help out the other set of BATT grenade launchers and take a shot at that infantry we see and mill around and maybe support them. He could power up to 1co and help recon take out those BTRs. Lots of options and things seem relatively safe, there are lots of infantry to hide behind where he can still get a shot or two off at targets.

I would support poking out into the road to see if there's anything worth shooting, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to override Bacarruda's orders for my T-64. I'd be happy to take command back over though if he feels that it is no longer useful to 2co.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I'm thinking of moving the Abrams up here:

Also I am planning to push the Bulat up to the top of the hill.

Thoughts?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
ah gently caress this election screwed up my timing. Hopefully the smoke holds a couple more turns.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The smoke or the tank :ohdear:

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
1st Armored Adhoc

Bulat should MOVE to the top of the hill just out of sight, then HUNT to peek over to see what can be seen.

Abrams should QUICK along yellow to back up the Bulat. Provisional order to move somewhere safe if 1Co gets overrun before it arrives.

T-64BV can continue to follow Bacarruda's orders.

Someone let me know where I can be to better help 1Co if needed.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Bacarruda posted:

If we have that F-15, now is the time to call it.

GI, is it here yet?

I think it's at the 30 min mark (5 mins out), along with an Abrams, some Bradleys, and some Hummers with Stingers. We still need to decide who owns those.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Random thoughts:

I assume that was my T-64BV that died?
Also, exactly how hosed is 1Co? I don't really want to send the Abrams up there with it looking like that, and I'm considering pulling out the Bulat if it's just going to get rushed by infantry that probably can kill it with RPG's.

On the topic of the reinforcements, the Abrams should probably fall under armored command, the Bradley's are a tossup, and the Stryker teams can probably go with the weapons team.

Thoughts on the weapons platoon and the mortar teams. At some point both those groups are probably going to want to get a move on to the exit (you don't want to leave our mortar dudes to fight Putin alone do you?).

Last, at the moment it looks like we are going to have a tough time holding the amount of ground we are currently covering. I think we need to try to consolidate closer to the exit so we can better concentrate our firepower. Once this turn's reinforcements arrive, we are waiting on nothing else from the front, so there is no sense trying to hold the line any longer than is needed to get those trucks through. Once the trucks are out we can get the hell outta dodge.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
How does this look?

Bulat to push up 150 ft (about where dtkozl suggested) and face NNW. Target (brief? light? not sure which) the tree line with the machine gun if we can't see anyone at that point.

Abrams to quick as fast as possible along green (go around the convoy), and down into the low ground, then move up the hill until it can see the field from a hull down position.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
1st Armored Ad hoc

Bulat move forward 150ft (as dtkozl suggested) and face NNW. Target light the area where that Russkie that killed all those dudes was.

Abrams can continue previous orders. Provisional: If the Bulat and 1Co take significant casualties in the first minute, pull back somewhere safe.

Also if I remember correctly from previous games, the reinforcements are on a slightly random timer, so they can come in a couple minutes early or late, right? If they show up early, consider this some provisional orders to move them up out of spawn a bit so they aren't just sitting back for a turn or two. Somewhere safe though.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Merry Marauder posted:

I mean, it seems reasonable that it's just a blocking force preventing us from driving around their defense and turning up on their flank.

I would probably have tried to accomplish that with a scout team down here and then armor somewhere more likely to be useful that could, you know, move to intercept, but then I am a big dumb dummy.

It's possible that they have literally so many T-90's that it was easy to spare one for over there. It would be like it was in the last Combat Mission goon game I was in where we had so many Abrams it was insane.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

dtkozl posted:

Chunky I want your tanks in the woods providing close support. Only do so slightly behind allied infantry though (--THIS IS IMPORTANT) Currently your one tank is too far forward and the other too far back. Set them up in the woods slightly behind our own infantry in order to stiffen the line. Right now there isn't much there but I will be moving a poo poo load of machine guns in the next few turns along with grenade launchers and recoilless rifles so keep your tanks safe but advance with the infantry. Try and set them up so you are ambushing their armor that is moving forward, do not try and move to engage unless their tank is already clearly engaging another target.

The Bulat is a little ahead of where you suggested putting it, and the Abrams is still driving. How does this positioning look? I'm concerned that I wont be able to get any closer with how thick the forest is there.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Ikasuhito posted:

We may have a small problem coming up. Just recently we got some Intel on the Russians through a combination of a prisoner and getting hold of a dead HQ group. They dont have any prisoners but they do (or will) have Brakeless's HQ, so they may be getting their own little hint in a turn or two.

If it looks like he's going to surrender maybe we should :commissar: him?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
1st armored adhoc

Unless someone wants otherwise we will be continuing previous orders.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Oldest Man posted:

2nd armored whatever

Oplot move up to the indicated position, stay on the road if at all possible.

Are you taking the new Abrams since you lost your T-64?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

pthighs posted:

Where specifically are you talking about? Here's where the UAV can see. Moving it will take at least two minutes.

Not the UAV, the American mortar carriers that can be on target within a minute. I second this, it'll be bad enough if tanks push through there let alone a horde of infantry with ATGMs and RPGs.

Edit: Also, move the trucks over to the Ukrainian mortar teams so they can be unloading ammo while they are waiting for us to call them in again (which we should do, maybe on those tanks up north?)

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Bacarruda posted:

The tank is yours!

Hey wait, that's my tank. If you don't want it anymore I'll resume control.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Oldest Man posted:

I'll shove you down and take your lunch money too. Also I don't think you ever had command of that M1A2 since it just came on-board.

I'm talking about the T-64, maybe there's a miscommunication here...

1st Armored Adhoc

Keep on keepin on, except have the Bulat turn to better face the enemy instead of sitting side on like an idiot.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Still here!

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Pretty quiet in here.

Well, I think we have to face the hard truth that unless the Apache is prioritizing targets correctly (ha, ha), we're going to have to push around the southwest corner with the Abrams(es) and just manfight the Russian overwatch. I can't get eyes on them with a scout team, they get outspotted 20m inside the treeline, so I think we'd have to make that call on the intel we have.

I think it needs to be done, and there's no point in waiting, at least not any longer than it takes to get a mating pair lined up on the start line.

Mortars? Also, where did the UAV go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Willie Tomg posted:

Speaking as someone with no command authority whatsoever but is, for some reason, awake at this godforsaken hour: yea. gently caress it. We're dead, and you can't even see the things that are gonna kill us. But we've spent all our AT killing BTRs so learn from our example and spend your TOWs and autocannon rounds and infantry AT doing some good on the motherfuckers who will prevent us from doing our job which is getting the convoy off the map in good order.

You have two tanks behind you, plus some various and sundry AT guns. I'd say we haven't spent even close to all of our AT yet. The biggest problem right now is that no one can see them.

Also GI Did my order to rotate my Bulat get in? It was/is sitting sideways on to Russian armor and AT like a dumbass.

• Locked thread