Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Problem description: I build a custom PC this week and finally got to play the new Doom (its awesome btw). However, while playing there was a bugcheck (the new name for BSOD) because of drivers (I assume graphic, but w/e). After the status progress got to 100% and remained there for a while (enough time to take a break and make coffee), I got impatient and pressed hw reset button.

Actual problems start here.

The PC "turns" on, that is case, CPU and GPU fans (and GPU LEDs :v:) turn on, but it stops there. That is, motherboard doesn't power USB slots (so no USB keyboard) and there is no video output.

Attempted fixes:
  • Double checked that I plugged in CPU power connector.
  • Double checked that I plugged in GPU power connector.
  • Took out the GPU.
  • Took out one memory stick.

Recent changes: The whole PC is ~3 days old, so...

--

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Also a quick question, can I lift the motherboard with CPU fan still on? I have weird MB thats supposedly ATX, but judging by the holes not really and I wanted to double check risers, but gently caress redoing paste unless necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried using the onboard video temporarily?

Xarn posted:

Also a quick question, can I lift the motherboard with CPU fan still on?

Yes.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Zogo posted:

Have you tried using the onboard video temporarily?

Yup, spent the whole afternoon yesterday loving around with the PC, so I also tried using both of the mem sticks separately in various slots, checked under the motherboard for riser in the wrong place, replugged everything, cleared cmos, etc.

Asrock: If you make motherboard without at least a beeper (or LEDs, hex display, something...), you and your entire design team should be put against the wall and shot.
I haven't seen case with case speaker in ages and Id be really surprised if the cheapest speaker costs even a buck, so just throw one into the goddamn package.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Asrock is the cheap brand of motherboards, if you want something good buy Asus, or at least MSI. Similarly, when you get under $150 you're gonna find all sorts of corners being cut.

• Locked thread