Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Abbott's slavish Anglophilia is fascinating. He grew up in the '60s and '70s for gently caress's sake, the sun had well and truly set on the Empire. Where does he get it from?

The whole "we can have BETTER TRADE with the COMMONWEALTH" is my favourite Brexiteer attitude though. A bunch of sad beer-gutted old fucks on the Tory backbenches who seem to forget that other countries actually have their own concerns and interests, and that Canada and Australia would toss the UK overboard like a Big Mac wrapper before jeopardising their relationship with the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A deal like that would never work out, you can't have prosperous countries enter into a freedom-of-movement deal with poorer countries that have larger populations.

Australia and Canada would be swamped with British migrants.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BBJoey posted:

for almost a century now. we like to whinge a lot but I think Australia genuinely has one of if not the best voting systems in the world.

I concur. We are still the only developed country that uses preferential voting for all elections and in 2016 that just boggles my loving mind.

Fun fact: I remember reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy as a teenager and amongst all the endless appendices he has a copy of his imaginary Martian constitution, for this perfect society he's dreamt up, and pretty much everything to do with elections is modelled on "the Australian ballot system." So noted utopian futurist Kim Stanley Robinson at least agrees that we're on the money.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NalThWdU3M

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Huh. Had this pegged as Razer. Although as I went on it became clear it was an argument she would never make (hers I imagine would be, "everyone sucks but Gen X").

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also the funny thing about Salt's article was that it was clearly a bit of tongue in cheek pot-stirring. I'm pretty sure he was referencing the fact that he knows full well forgoing smashed avo won't make up for housing prices, but still has a boomer-esque kneejerk reaction every time he sees young people having the stylish lifestyle that was unavailable (and not because they were all saving their money) when he and his cohorts were young.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Something that just occurred to me: why the gently caress did Leyonhjelm get re-elected and Muir not?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Muir got elected on how many votes again?

I thought Leyonjhelm's party only got in because they had the word Liberal in their name and confused people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The young-ish guy who's either buff or overweight, can't quite tell, but his business shirt is straining at the seams. The worst kind of baldness as well where he has a sort of weird front crown? And he just looks angry all the time.

• Locked thread