Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cleretic posted:

I remember having a Chiko Roll as a kid and really hating it, but I have no memory of what it actually tasted like.

On the other hand, I can vividly remember slightly light-bleached ads for Chiko Rolls hanging in multiple locally-owned fish and chip shops, all of which were basically just pinups. I'm okay with that being my memory of Chiko Rolls.

Chiko roll posters that look like they've been hanging there since the 80s and a faded chart of Australian seafood are how you tell if a fish and chip shop is any good :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is The Drum still accepting contributions? They'd probably take it, I think a goon (JR Hennesy iirc) got some stuff published there

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A staffer for Turnbull government frontbencher Christopher Pyne is among the nine Australians jailed in Malaysia after stripping at a formula one race.

Jack Walker, a policy adviser to Mr Pyne, and eight friends were arrested in Sepang on Sunday afternoon after stripping down to their underwear, which featured the Malaysian flag.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Birmingham: Tony Abbott has told right-wing allies in Britain that he believes he has a reasonable chance of becoming prime minister again, Fairfax Media has learned.

The revelation confirms the former leader is hoping to emulate Kevin Rudd's 2013 success in returning to the Lodge after being booted out by his own party in 2010 despite his public assurances that his leadership is "dead, buried and cremated" and that "the Abbott era is over."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Is anyone remotely surprised by this revelation? I think we all just assumed it was already the case.

I can't wait for Abbot to "Keven Rudd" Turnbull out of the office before losing the next election himself. It would be perfect.

Also after he regains PM but before the election is lost, if the lack of pairing could cause more significant public embarrassment that would be great. TIA Abbot.

Especially if he's scrambling trying to respond to GFC II: China edition and block SSM in a fractured lower house while all that is going down

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The Age seems have a bit of a hate-on for using greyhounds for medical research, where exactly do they think a large amount of modern medicine comes from if not animal studies?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

This will end will I'm sure... hopefully after I've got into somewhat secure employment like a graduate program or restructuring though because I hate to think what it will do to our economy

quote:

After a relative lull last year, house prices across major Chinese cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen have experienced tearaway growth of some 30 to 40 per cent in 2016, despite already boasting the world's most expensive homes on a price-to-income basis.

In China, real estate prices are typically quoted on a per square-metre basis. Prices in central Beijing conservatively start at 80,000 yuan [about $16,000] per square metre, making even a nondescript, 100-square-metre, two-bedroom, previously owned apartment $1.6 million. New off-the-plan apartments within the city's fourth ring road sold in August for an average 15 million yuan, or close to $3 million, according to Chinese media reports. Across the country, prices rose in 64 of 70 major cities that month, according to official government data.

That heady growth has prompted warnings of a rapidly reinflating property price bubble from the central bank, senior Bank of China economists, and China's richest man, property tycoon Wang Jianlin.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/beijing-shanghai-shenzhen-the-cities-where-house-prices-rose-by-30-to-40-per-cent-20161003-grtwe6.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ora Tzo posted:

The free market shall replace him.

he'll call the next cat von mises or something

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The suicide prevention service Lifeline Top End has closed its shopfront service after the Northern Territory government refused its request for further funding, the head of the service has said.

Lifeline Top End had provided face to face counselling and community engagement for the past decade but on Monday closed the doors on its Darwin-based service. Callers to the hotline will still go through to the national call centre.

Lifeline had approached government “for the final time” in the past few weeks and learned there would be no increase on current funding level of $200,000 a year, Andrew Warton, chair of the Lifeline Top End board, told ABC radio.

The organisation, which had 35 trained volunteer counsellors, was seeking $450,000 a year to answer about 700 monthly calls.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lid posted:

Huess the author

lol
Did he catch neurosyphilis or something or was he always this bad?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

:yikes:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

NSW Govt reverses greyhound ban. ABC reporting Baird was threatened with leadership spill if he didnt.

I wonder if ICAC will turn up any cozy deals with the gambling lobby in the wake of all this

aejix posted:

Like with that bullshit about Carmichael Mine being voted a state-critical piece of infrastructure, I wonder if that gives ministers or government planning authorities special powers to ram through approvals?

I don't know if there are any additional powers to override regulations but it speeds the process up, I guess by putting it on the top of the pile of things that need approval

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Like in Tasmania, where one Labor candidate went from fourth place to sixth because of some bullshit parachuting. The order was overturned through BTL voting.

that demoted senator must have been smug af in the next party meeting

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Starshark posted:

How can she sue for that - don't we have a 'best defence against defamation is truth' thing in Australia?

It's probably not so much to win and more just to be a huge pain in the arse so no one else thinks of doing it

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

You can tell that politicians have never been to a footy game or music festival or any other large gathering of people because they always loving suggest wireles is the answer to broadband issues.

not only that, if you dont have the loving WIRES IN THE GROUND FEEDING THE TOWERS, you are hosed from the get go.

i don't think they really care as long as the nice suburbs and marginal seats have decent internet

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Guess I need to put together my Rainbow Bob Katter costume.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Members of Victoria's Chinese community have been circulating thousands of flyers accusing the Safe Schools program of stealing their children's culture, in a Liberal-aligned campaign aimed at curtailing the anti-bullying program.

The incendiary flyer urges the Chinese community to "Stop UnSafe Schools", and accuses the program of promoting "homosexual ideas and practice" and "stealing our children from our own culture".

Chinese Liberal Party member, Dan Xie, said he was behind the 15,000 flyers, which have been handed out on streets, in public libraries and railway stations over the past two months.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Tony Abbott has defended Donald Trump and taken a swipe at Hillary Clinton, saying the Republican nominee's positions are "reasonable enough" and his supporters are "not deplorables" but voters simply seeking change in America.

Mr Abbott's intervention in the United States election comes as Hillary Clinton's lead over Mr Trump widened to double-digits following the release of numerous historical tapes in which Mr Trump brags that he can get away with grabbing women by the pussy because he is a star.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

surely he can't keep his job after that

Remember when the Australian led the campaign to get a cartoon pulled because it showed a jewish bloke enjoying palastinians getting bombed?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Spewing I didnt catch the scum who dumped this in my letterbox to give it back to them with an absolute mouthful of abuse to help it down their throat.

Cos the Plebicite was never going to incite hatred against the gay community, was it. We've already had our town plastered with stickers saying "Its Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve"

someone needs to invent halal glitter for sending to people like that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Halal glitter would be a pretty good euphemism for white powder but I don't want asio rocking up on my doorstep for incitement either.

ordinary glitter would probably work fine but just include a label saying it's halal and the person who opened it, their desk and the carpet are all property of allah/mohammed (may peace be upon him)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

The government's top legal adviser says he will ignore a "radical" directive from Attorney-General George Brandis that prevents him giving advice directly to ministers and government departments, in the latest front in an escalating war between the country's two most senior lawyers.

At a fiery Senate inquiry on Friday, Solicitor-General Justin Gleeson, SC, said a direction issued by Senator Brandis requiring ministers to obtain his written permission before seeking advice from Mr Gleeson was "unlawful".

These are four of the major points of conflict between the nation's first and second law officers.
He said if the Governor-General or Prime Minister came to him directly for advice he would consider it his legal duty to make a "conscientious decision" to flout the direction and provide them with advice.

"It is a radical change," Mr Gleeson said of the direction issued by Senator Brandis in May.

"Do I lie awake at night worrying about it? I have every night since 5 May, trying to determine how this could have come about and what is the correct way to try and respond to and remedy this situation."

Legal experts have expressed concern the direction could see Mr Gleeson, who holds a statutory office and gives independent advice, "frozen out" from advising the government.

Mr Gleeson revealed on Friday that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull had sought his advice in confidence in January "on a matter which I won't mention". Senator Brandis was not privy to the request.

He said that, "read literally", the new direction would prevent him providing that advice "and yet I consider it's my duty to do that under the Law Officers Act".

The Senate's legal and constitutional affairs references committee is examining allegations Senator Brandis misled Parliament by claiming Mr Gleeson was consulted about the legally-binding direction.

Appearing after Mr Gleeson, Senator Brandis said the direction was nothing more than "administrative housekeeping" and was consistent with the law and historical practice. He stood by "every word of every statement" he had made.

He said it was an "insult" to suggest, as former Commonwealth solicitor-general Gavan Griffith, QC, has claimed, that the direction was akin to keeping "a dog on a lead" because all barristers had an obligation to give frank and fearless advice.

He said the dispute with Mr Gleeson boiled down to a difference of opinion about the meaning of the word "consultation". His understanding of the word was consistent with the Oxford English Dictionary definition but Mr Gleeson took a "narrower" view.

Senator Brandis conceded he did not raise the prospect of a binding legal direction with Mr Gleeson at a meeting on November 30 last year, saying he had not yet decided on that course of action.

However, he said his legal obligation to consult did not require it to be done "in some specific fashion" and there was consultation on the general "subject matter".

Senator Brandis took aim at Mr Gleeson for having a conversation with shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus in June in which he denied he was consulted about the direction and said he did not agree with it.

He said Mr Gleeson "ought to have" told him about the conversation with one of the government's "principal political enemies" during the election campaign and he was "shocked" he did not.

But Mr Gleeson said he considered it his duty to answer Mr Dreyfus' questions and he was "also the shadow attorney-general, with responsibilities for these matters in the caretaker period".

Mr Dreyfus said on Friday Senator Brandis had not put forward "the slightest justification" for the new direction.

"He was putting himself between the Governor-General and the Solicitor-General, he was putting himself between the Prime Minister and the Solicitor-General, he was putting himself between every secretary of a Commonwealth Department, every head of a Commonwealth agency," he said.

Mr Dreyfus repeated his call for Senator Brandis to resign over the affair.
holy lol what a shitstorm
Brandis sounds like a loving buffoon

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

Edward, who lives near Mt Macedon about an hour northwest of Melbourne, said he feels 'very connected' to Britain and that's where he sees himself ending up.
thank gently caress for that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

Australia's richest woman Gina Rinehart has started new litigation against her children's trust fund to prevent it from receiving millions of dollars in royalties from a Rio Tinto joint venture.

Mrs Rinehart, whose wealth was recently estimated at $6 billion, filed the fresh salvo against the trust that manages the inheritance of her four children – John Hancock, Bianca Rinehart, Hope Welker and Ginia Rinehart – late last month in the Federal Court.

The legal action comes as Mrs Rinehart hit the headlines again this week with a bid for Australia's largest cattle station from Kidman & Co for $365 million.

It also comes as Hancock Prospecting ramps up production at the Roy Hill iron ore mine in the Pilbara.

Under the new claim Mrs Rinehart is seeking to stop her children's trust receiving distributions from the royalties Hancock Prospecting receives in two key mining areas through their special cumulative shares in Hancock Prospecting.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Holy poo poo! My mum probably taught the gobshite in primary school. I'm going to have to see if she recognises him.

pretty easy face to remember

reminds me of that dude from family guy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/casey-council-mosque-decision-draws-protest-and-hostility-in-melbournes-south-east-20161015-gs31u4.html

quote:

Local council elections have traditionally revolved around the three Rs: rates, roads and rubbish.

But for Casey Council, a rapidly expanding and multicultural municipality in Melbourne's south-east, a new R appears to be taking centre stage: religion.

It came to a head in April.

With police officers stationed at the door, a ban on public questions and photographs, the air rippled with tension at Narre Warren's council chamber the night the mosque was rejected.

What was supposed to be a straightforward planning matter had become so much bigger.

More than 1000 objections to the mosque had been received. The council chamber was so full that dozens of residents and anti-racism protesters had to waitoutside.

Inside the chamber, the mosque's proponents, the Saarban Islamic Trust, were not given time to speak. But the mayor, Sam Aziz, used his address to slam the group.

Cr Aziz told the group that their response to a planning report on the mosque was unacceptable and the group had not endeared themselves to anyone.

"For you to claim that you are now shocked by the content of the planning report, is either at best mischievous or at worst malicious – either way it is unacceptable," Cr Aziz said.

The mayor said the council would fight any appeal to its decision to reject the mosque with "every resource required".
That Aziz guy sounds like a bit of a fuckwit

quote:

Although he said he voted based on planning issues alone, Cr Aziz has aligned himself with the "Stop the Mosque in Narre Warren" group, which rallies against the "Islamisation" of Australia.

He has posted on its Facebook page thanking his "friends" for their support, following a story in Fairfax Media where he accused local doctor Belal Haniffa, who joined the "Casey Against Racism" Facebook page, of dressing up "to look like a terrorist in his spare time". Dr Haniffa's profile picture was taken on a hunting trip.

also there's some good poo poo doing the rounds up in queensland

quote:

Queensland paramedics fear a mysterious new drug that causes severe hallucinations may be handed around at the annual schoolies celebrations.

Paramedics were called to treat seven patients in Surfers Paradise and one in Labrador on Saturday night, in what became the second round of cases.

A Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) spokesman said the patients were all suffering the same symptoms, including hallucinations, and paramedics were "very concerned" about the unknown product.

At least one of the patients had to be sedated before being taken to hospital.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

i could afford a house if the industry i spent 5 years at uni studying to work in didn't crash as a result of the GFC

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Or

Less $20 brunches

I can't remember the last $20 brunch I had
might have been a huge pile of macca's from the drive through as I was heading home the morning after a big night on the piss

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But all of this is mere ephemera. It gets worse. I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more. I can afford to eat this for lunch because I am middle-aged and have raised my family. But how can young people afford to eat like this? Shouldn't they be economising by eating at home? How often are they eating out? Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house.

you could buy a weeks worth of mi goreng for $22

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The federal government has defended its approach to tacking welfare following the release of new research showing nearly 3 million Australians are living below the poverty line.

A new Australian Council of Social Service (Acoss) report says this figure includes 731,000 children – a 2% increase in the past decade.

The chief executive of Acoss, Cassandra Goldie, said the alarming results should act as an urgent appeal to senators to reject further cuts to family payments, currently before the upper house.

The assistant minister for social services, Zed Seselja, said the government was very committed to finding ways to encourage people to look after themselves and get people off welfare if they didn’t need to be on it.

“Our opponents on the left have pushed, I think, a welfare mentality in this country,” Seselja told Sky News on Sunday. “We simply can’t go on assuming huge numbers of Australians welfare will just become the norm.”

He said the government is committed to an “investment-led approach” which could result in more training, more mentoring and more opportunities for internships.

Labor’s spokeswoman for families and social services, Jenny Macklin, responded by saying that the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, had failed to show leadership on tackling poverty and inequality.

“Instead, Mr Turnbull wants to make cruel budget cuts that will hurt vulnerable Australians even more,” she said in a statement.

But Dr Goldie is becoming increasingly frustrated with such debates.

“We frame it as if it’s the fault of the individual, you’re either lazy, not working hard enough, not retraining hard enough, but the basic numbers are there,” she told ABC television.

“One job available for every five people conservatively is the estimate looking for paid work.”

She said former Labor prime minister Bob Hawke reduced child poverty by a third after setting it as a core goal of his government.

“But over the last 10 years we’ve seen no change in the level of poverty among the Australian population as a whole – but children are really at risk,” Goldie said.

She said the cuts stripping another $60 a week from single parent families and the proposal to withhold Newstart support for young people for up to four weeks would likely lead to increased poverty.

Goldie said the overall picture from the past decade was one of persistent and entrenched poverty across the community with an increase in child poverty, which she described as a national shame.

Those most at risk were children in lone parent families who are three times more likely to be living in poverty than those from couple families,

Goldie said those doing it toughest were overwhelmingly people living on the $38 a day Newstart payment, 55% of whom were in poverty.

That was followed by families on the parenting payment (51.5%), the majority of whom were lone parents with children.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Agreed, this is only notable because the owner is a Senator. Countless other builders strip the assets, declare bankruptcy, gently caress the subbies and phoenix ABC Pty Ltd into DEF Pty Ltd.

:capitalism:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I read that he had provided personal guarantees for his business loans, so probably yeah.

he's gonna lose his house

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

At least four Liberal MPs thrown out by voters at the July federal election have picked up plum jobs as taxpayer-funded advisers to their former colleagues.

Senate President Stephen Parry revealed in Senate estimates hearings on Monday that he had hired his former Tasmanian colleague, Eric Hutchinson, for a newly-created role in his office.

President of the Senate Stephen Parry reveals a government position has been created and filled by a Liberal member who lost his seat at the last election.
Mr Hutchinson could be paid up to $160,000 a year including superannuation, depending on his grading.

Fairfax Media can also reveal that Matt Williams and Karen McNamara, who were both defeated at the July poll, have been employed as advisers by their former colleagues.

Mr Williams, who held the seat of Hindmarsh, is working as a policy adviser to fellow South Australian Simon Birmingham, the Minister for Education.

Ms McNamara, the former member for Dobell on the NSW Central Coast, is working as a part-time adviser to NSW senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, the Minister for International Development and the Pacific.

A spokeswoman for Senator Fierravanti-Wells said Ms McNamara, a former lawyer, was advising the minister on seasonal worker policy.

Former Eden Monaro MP Peter Hendy was hired by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull as his chief economist after losing the marginal seat.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

how long before millennials are a big enough chunk of the electorate for governments to start pandering to them and exacting revenge on the boomer?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

Is it possible that the Coalition is increasing debt on purpose to make it a timebomb that'll blow up under Labor giving future LNP leaders 10 thousand years of Tory Rule?

Hanlon's Razor says no

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

good to see The Age is still dedicated to quality journalism in this day and age

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

you aren't supposed to eat those, you'll get sick

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Vindicator posted:

Did politicians bang on about mandates to this extent before? It feels new. Well, new in the sense that I don't remember it prior to the 2013 Libs. I'm pretty much over it already. If they had a mandate, they'd have a majority in both houses. It just seems to be their stock response while they do absolutely nothing, instead of actually engaging in negotiation.

it might be because they haven't in fact been able to pass legislation easily so banging on about a mandate has been the go-to tactic for trying to strongarm a hostile cross bench into agreement

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Spudd posted:

I love reading that underemployment is becoming more and more of a thing. Because I'm one of them and I have no idea if I'll ever get more than 3 days a week of work.

Don't demonise part-time employment. You should support it and applaud it because it does represent a good choice for so many people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The government is sitting on hundreds of pages of evidence and scores of submissions about housing affordability it is unable to use because it let its inquiry into the subject lapse.

News of the quashed inquiry emerged as Treasurer Scott Morrison delivered a speech in which he declared housing affordability to be an "important policy focus" of the Turnbull government in the new parliamentary term.

Housing affordability is being hindered by the states' land use regulations, asserts Treasurer Scott Morrison. Courtesy ABC News 24.
The inquiry was initiated by Morrison's predecessor, Joe Hockey, in April last year. Undertaken by the House of Representatives economics committee and chaired by Liberal backbencher John Alexander, it took evidence from the Treasury, the Reserve Bank, ANZ Bank, the Law Society and housing economists.

Mr Alexander said at the time it painted a picture of a nation turning from a "commonwealth", with huge home ownership, into a "kingdom" made up of landlords and serfs. One of the ideas considered by the committee was a winding back of capital gains submissions.

• Locked thread