Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think we'd probably do pretty well out of a deal like that. We'd get all their educated people escaping low wages and drizzle, and they'd buy all our agricultural produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.aec.gov.au/elections/australian_electoral_history/reform.htm

AEC has a timeline.

If you do get offered reform be sure not to vote against it like the UK.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It destroyed Gillard's political career, if he could do the same to Turnbull I'm sure that would be reward enough.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Howard was still in when the first iPhone came out.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

So controversial in this case means he's too liberal?

[EDIT: Apparently it does http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...4979e9df4e92333
https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/interviews/553382-the-sheikh-who-lifted-the-veil ]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 5, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There goes the car industry.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I thought emergency services were a state issue?

https://www.communications.gov.au/sites/g/files/net301/f/triple-zero-review.pdf

open24hours fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/victoria-p-plate-inquiry-into-lowering-driver-age/7908208
Victoria's P-plate drivers are urging the State Government to allow them to get behind the wheel a year earlier.

In Victoria, drivers must be 18 years old before they can receive their probationary licence and drive without supervision — a year older than most places in Australia.

A parliamentary inquiry has now begun across Victoria to allow students, employers and members of the community to share their views on lowering the Victorian P-plate age.

A public hearing in Wodonga, being conducted by the Law Reform, Road and Community Safety Committee, has been told many employers prefer workers who are able to drive.

A survey was presented as evidence by the Wodonga Chamber of Commerce that showed more than 40 per cent of its members would be more likely to hire an employee with a driver's licence.

The licence age gap is a difficulty for employers and job hunters on the Victoria-New South Wales border.

Chamber business manager Bernie Squire said the licence age gap had been a cross-border anomaly that had been causing problems for years.

"Some of the feedback that we received around tradespeople and young people with apprenticeships is they would be more valuable to their employer if, [at] 17 to 18, they were able to drive trades vehicles or do some of the running around during the day," he said.

Mr Squire said many Victorian young people resorted to lying about their address to get behind the wheel at 17.

"A Wodonga boy or girl can claim to be living at an Albury address to get their licence a year earlier, and I know that actually happens, so this committee might be able to close that loophole by bringing both states into line with the age kids can get their licence," he said.

Students from Wodonga Senior Secondary College have told the inquiry they are disadvantaged when it comes to competing with Albury and New South Wales candidates for a job, because they have to wait longer to drive.

Jack Beer is one of those students, and desperately wants to enter the workforce.

Instead, he is still at school and missed out on his dream job because he cannot drive.

"I've done a lot of work experience and grown up on a farm, always been driving, and I did work experience and they said 'Look mate you can have the job, but you need your licence'," he said.

"I couldn't have the job so I'm just at school.

The Victorian inquiry will also consider the adequacy of current transport infrastructure and services available to young Victorians, particularly in regional and rural areas.

Strategies have been considered to help remove some of the barriers to work and study Victorian teenagers face as a result of the higher P-plate age, including introducing a special licence for young apprentices and employees.

But Wodonga's Young Citizen of the Year Jacob Mildren said it was important to give all young people in Victoria the same independence as other 17-year-olds in Australia.

"Students want to be independent from their parents, and those inhibitors of getting work, getting jobs and getting involved in the community," he said.

Jacob said some employers and parents were worried about seeing younger people behind the wheel, but too many young Victorians were missing out on vital opportunities and mobility.

"When we look at the rest of Australia, with Victoria being the only state at 18, and Albury across the border, those kids over there are getting those opportunities for work because they can drive," he said.

And here I was thinking NSW had the dumbest P plater rules with their 80km/h and power to weight limits.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 6, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think the L plate age being lowered had something to do with teaching Road Ready or whatever it was called in school. I wasted a term of SOSE classes learning about that stuff in year 10.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder what will happen to the factories. Get decommissioned and sold for scrap I guess?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Unfortunately, Ford can't really be blamed on Abbott. They announced they were closing months before he was elected.
http://www.ford.com.au/about/newsroom-result?article=1249024395989

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is Baird going to gently caress it up?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I thought our gang problem was bikies.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I spin my tobacco out with weed to make it last longer.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/785589975072976896

I've never seen a more empty threat.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ixnay on the Omelet posted:

I still don't get what the big deal over live baiting is. Animals eat each other all the time. It's what they do. Cats slaughter wildlife on the reg but we don't outlaw them.

Empathy is what separates us from the animals. Besides, cats are outlawed in a lot of new housing developments.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/stephanieando/status/785690107206443008

:lol: what a shitshow

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No, but you can level the exact same criticisms at the Liberal party.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...a35489c34c500d2
The federal government is preparing the next step in its mammoth welfare overhaul after receiving early proof that its stricter rules on payments are ­delivering results, with a confidential report showing reductions in alcohol-fuelled violence and other social gains from the new ­approach.

The government will act on the new findings by extending the use of its controversial Healthy Welfare card despite the prospect of a clash with Labor, the Greens and social services groups over the ­future of welfare.

The Australian can reveal that a detailed study of the government’s pilot schemes shows a 20 per cent fall in ambulance call-outs and a 28 per cent reduction in alcohol-related calls to authorities in the East Kimberley where welfare payments are made to debit cards rather than in cash.

The data report on the Healthy Welfare test sites, obtained by The Australian at the midpoint of the government’s trials, also shows fewer people going to detox centres and a fall in spending on gambling.

Poker machine revenue in the Ceduna region was 6 per cent lower in August than 12 months previously, with almost $30,000 less going through machines in the region, the data report shows.

In Kununurra, there has been a 41 per cent reduction in the number of people being referred to the town’s sobering-up centre and a 36 per cent reduction in the number of alcohol-related pick-ups by the town’s community patrol, down from 524 in April to 335 in August. With legislation essential to advance the reforms, advocates for the card, including a key adviser, businessman Andrew Forrest, met Senate crossbenchers this week to argue for an expansion of the schemes to­ disadvantaged communities based on success demonstrated by early ­results.

Crossbench senators Jacqui Lambie and Pauline Hanson, along with independent MP Bob Katter, met Mr Forrest and a group of community leaders on Tuesday night to discuss results of the trial, which quarantines 80 per cent of recipients’ welfare payment to cashless debit cards.

Human Services Minister Alan Tudge rejected claims the ­approach hurt welfare recipients, declaring he wanted to protect the “human rights of women to be safe and children to be fed” rather than see taxpayer funds spent on ­alcohol and ­gambling.

“These results are very promising and if they continue to deliver good outcomes then of course we would be seeking to roll it out more broadly,” he told The Australian. “I am very concerned about the amount of violence in some communities, fuelled by alcohol which is almost all paid for by welfare cash, and all of us have to be serious about confronting this.”

Mr Tudge said other communities had expressed interest in the card, who would likely be next in line for its rollout should trials continue to report success over the last six months of the program.

He has also flagged that young unemployed people could be targeted for cashless welfare, based on a New Zealand model that gives those under the age of 18 just $50 a week cash.

The new data from the trials came as Mr Forrest yesterday slammed “heartless academics” and the “lazy thinking” of critics of the card, saying opponents were perpetuating an “inane logic of human rights” that was consigning vulnerable children to harm.

“What about the rights of a child? What about their right to a future? Is that not a far greater priority?’’ he said. “You are casting that child’s future to the dustbin with your kindness and your actual heartlessness.”

Ceduna Mayor Allan Suter said the results of the card in his community were “very encouraging” and urged other places to take up the card, regardless of critics of the cashless scheme.

“Any community that has the facts before it and which is prepared to acknowledge a problem would be silly not to trial the card,” he said. “There is a small group of protesters who are entitled to be heard, but don’t necessarily deserve much sympathy.”

Ian Trust, Kununurra-based chairman of Wunan Foundation which has overseen trials in the East Kimberley, said his community had embraced the card because “enough was enough”.

He pointed to high rates of foetal alcohol syndrome and the suicide of children as young as 10 years old as reasons for challenging the status quo. “It is just not acceptable,” he said.

Jean O’Reeri, director of the Ngnowar Aerwah Aboriginal Corporation, said there had been a ­noticeable reduction in alcohol-related hospital admissions in her community of Wyndham. “It has really improved, and people are starting to say kids are coming to school and people are surprised that they are saving money.”

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm glad I got to live through the era of the postmodern meme.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 13, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think Abbott's just trolling. Abbott and Trump are both fuckwits, but they're completely different kinds of fuckwits.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Depends how you think about conservatism. It's like liberalism in that the word can mean almost whatever you want it to mean.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/ct-editorial/its-time-to-decide-tram-or-no-tram-20161013-gs1vhh.html
Saturday's ACT election is effectively a referendum on light rail, as it's seemed it would be for at least the past two years.

Elect Labor, or a Labor/Greens coalition, and construction of the $939-million, 12-kilometre tram line between Gungahlin and the city will proceed.

A decisive vote for the Canberra Liberals would bring the project to a grinding halt, the tearing up of contracts estimated to cost at least $220 million.

This huge project has split Canberrans into the camps of those who view it as visionary and transformative and those who think it an expensive folly.

But decisions on election of a government should be about more than just one policy or project.

This has not been an Assembly without achievement for Labor. It approved historic marriage equality laws in 2013. It acted, albeit belatedly, on the Mr Fluffy asbestos crisis.

It also leads the nation in its response to climate change, with its target of 100 per cent renewables by 2020 and zero net emissions by 2050. It has bravely continued to reduce its reliance on punitive stamp duty charges, sticking with its 20-year tax reform plan that will see household rates increase significantly to take up the shortfall.

But on the other side of the ledger, this has also been a government bedevilled by errors of judgment, competency and arrogance.

The poor performance of one of the government's key ministers, Joy Burch, across a range of portfolios, including education, policing and gaming, reflected poorly on the leadership of the Chief Minister.

And Chief Minister Andrew Barr will be judged by some voters on his leadership more broadly, and on Labor's approach to planning, development and transparency.

Under his watch Labor has shown a willingness to entertain major development proposals without engaging the community in any meaningful way, or measuring such proposals against its own long-term objectives. This alone has left many Canberrans feeling their government couldn't care less about their views.

The pre-election political manoeuvre of hiring opposition Treasury spokesman Brendan Smyth to a plum new role, without even advertising the position, was nothing more than a cynical play to damage an opponent's electoral chances.

So what of the alternative, the Canberra Liberals? Like oppositions before them, they have been guilty of carping and populism and while they have been remarkably unified this term, the conservatism of some members will worry progressive Canberrans.

But under Mr Hanson the Liberals have put forward a very solid alternative to light rail, an enhanced bus system that could be used by far more Canberrans in the short to medium term.

They have landed policy blows on health and hospitals. In the main they have presented a more credible alternative to Labor than has been seen for some time.

Saturday's election is arguably the most significant since Canberrans elected their first government in 1989.

Whatever the Assembly's make-up, and whoever takes government, it clearly needs to perform better than the administration of the past four years.

After 15 years, Labor looks too long in government – complacent, at times lost and increasingly hard of hearing. There is an alternative that seems more willing to listen to Canberrans.

The Canberra Times, therefore, supports the election of a Canberra Liberals-led government in Saturday's historic poll.

Shameful stuff.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think the Greens are going to have a hard time increasing their vote by much as long as ACT Labor keeps governing in a reasonably competent and progressive way. A lot of the reasons for voting Greens instead of Labor at state and federal levels just aren't there in the ACT.

That the tram will be built is a huge relief and finally, after two elections on light rail, the city can get on with developing its transport infrastructure.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

One of the main benefits is that it provides some structure for future development. Building car based suburbs and retrofitting them with public transport is just about impossible. Building the transport first and then developing around it goes some way to preventing the same mistakes from being made again.

You could do more or less the same thing with BRT for a lot less money, but people hate buses and you can't trust the government not to change all the routes at the drop of a hat.

Also trams are cool.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con
This article was posted years ago in LF, and talks about how some conservative organisations are more interested in getting rich by fleecing idiots than they are in politics.

Does this kind of thing happen in Australia too? I assume it does. Would explain the proliferation of conservative organisations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.loveaustraliaorleave.com.au/store/c3/MENS_T-SHIRTS.html

Pretty considerate to censor their model.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Suckers working for $160k, they could get many times that in the private sector.

Speaking of which, the Private Eye podcast did a thing on this kind of soft corruption recently. It's from a British perspective (obviously), but it's still worth a listen.
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/eyeplayer/play-326

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Surely Leyonhjelm could ask for more than overturning the import ban on the Adler. I'd assume it'd just be banned again as soon as the ABCC legislation gets through anyway, they wouldn't need his support to do that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's no way the Nauruan government wrote that. It came straight from the immigration department.

It's also dumb as poo poo. Nauruan schools aren't good enough for Nauruan children.

I mean their own statement on literacy from their census report is full of errors.

http://www.spc.int/nmdi/nmdi_documents/2011_NAURU_CENSUS_REPORT.pdf

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm amazed they don't just amend the law so that lever actions are treated the same way as pump actions. Labor would presumably support it and gun rights aren't a vote winner in this country anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They've already reneged on the deal to lift the import ban. If they're willing to do that I can't see how tightening up the law so this doesn't have to be done in an ad hoc way everytime a new gun comes on the market would make it any worse.

[EDIT: Apparently they are going to reclassify it.
Mr Turnbull accused the Opposition of creating a distraction from the Government's industrial relations reforms.

He said the ban would remain in place until such time as there was a satisfactory reclassification of these guns by the COAG committee.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 18, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's representative government for you.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No, keep focusing on the shotgun. That's the dangerous part of this equation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/oct/19/nationals-call-for-import-of-rapid-fire-adler-with-restrictions-politics-live
Labor’s early education spokeswoman, Kate Ellis, is speaking at the National Press Club.

She has suggested the government should consider abandoning the current childcare subsidy system in favour of alternatives including universal childcare or the government directly purchasing places.

Ellis said the problem with the current “fee and subsidy system” is the government has no “levers of control” over the costs and availability of places.

If the government directly purchased places, it would see how many places are required in a particular area and tender for their delivery.

Done correctly this could place downward pressure on costs by introducing competitive tendering for the service delivery and could cap the out-of-pocket costs of parents. This would incentivise new childcare places being created where they are required.

A good idea. It's a shame they didn't present it before the election.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

He may not be a great economist, but he's certainly a master troll.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Theory: Bill leak is a patsy being used to keep 18c in the news and undermine Turnbull.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Once you get it make sure you tell everyone so that they know they're getting it stuck to them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There was a bunch of stuff like that on Twitter just before the ACT election. Must be the new buying Facebook likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is there a law against parking in the disabled spaces when they're on private property?

• Locked thread