Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The new NHL team pages look like something someone made in the 90's for their fan site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Levitate posted:

The new NHL team pages look like something someone made in the 90's for their fan site

Got an alert that the CBJ app is now embedded in the NHL app.

The CBJ app was nicely done, so I dread what the NHL probably has in store for all of us...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yuuupp, it's turning into a crappy shitshow. The NHL app is weirdly difficult to navigate at times and putting everything for all the teams in one app seems to make it more difficult to get information for the team you want.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's looking more and more like the Devils are going to keep Yohann Auvitu (Finnish d-man of the year last season) up with the big club. He's no Rafalski but if he can take away minutes from a defensive defenseman that's probably a good thing. He had three assists against the Rangers, and now has 5 in 3 preseason games. Plus his name rules.

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy
Auvitu-Merill
Quincey

I guess?

With Santini and Gormley going down. Still really bad!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/783044754791694337

he got a game that sorta means something :toot:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Coyotes 3.1

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

Coyotes 3.1

Coyotes ME

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DJExile posted:

Coyotes ME

Coyotes X: Snow Leopard

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

fits posted:

could be worse

This will never get old.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

First game of the season? Against the Blues :getin:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fits posted:

could be worse

The only surprising thing about this is Fleury isn't the goalie.

Also just remembered the Pens first game of the season is against Washington...and it's in Pittsburgh. Scheduler is cruel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Also just remembered the Pens first game of the season is against Washington...and it's in Pittsburgh. Scheduler is cruel.

They intentionally set up marquee matchups on the first/last day of the season. The "big market" ones will probably get broadcast nationally in some kind of big opening day marketing push.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

They intentionally set up marquee matchups on the first/last day of the season. The "big market" ones will probably get broadcast nationally in some kind of big opening day marketing push.

Yeah I know it's just funny because there are other marquee matchups they could have chosen for the Pens like Philly, Nyr, etc and they happened to choose one which will be the most painful for that team's fanbase given the history.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Thufir posted:

I guess maybe Cody Hodgson is retiring because he's apparently working with Nashville youth hockey this season.

I remember being convinced and ecstatic that he was the next Megastar. Back injuries ended up costing him big time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know, I think we can all agree the world would be a better place with fewer Vancouvers.
So many CW shows would be destroyed/canceled

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

They can start with Arrow

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I know it's just funny because there are other marquee matchups they could have chosen for the Pens like Philly, Nyr, etc and they happened to choose one which will be the most painful for that team's fanbase given the history.

Pens v Caps was also one of, if not, the best series of the playoffs last season. I'm sure that plays into it. It's always fun having the Caps over for a banner raising considering the history.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Yaya posted:

I remember being convinced and ecstatic that he was the next Megastar. Back injuries ended up costing him big time.

Remember when he was pouting cause he didn't get ice time over H Sedin and Kesler

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Scorchy posted:

Remember when he was pouting cause he didn't get ice time over H Sedin and Kesler

Oh yeah his ego didn't do him any favours either but he went from World Juniors leading scorer to somebody who couldn't keep up after one nasty injury.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I don't know how he went from being voted best two-way player in the OHL by the coaches, to the far and away worst defensive forward in the NHL. No back injury did that.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Levitate posted:

Team Web Pages 2.0

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So Gudas is still a giant piece of poo poo eh?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Scorchy posted:

I don't know how he went from being voted best two-way player in the OHL by the coaches, to the far and away worst defensive forward in the NHL. No back injury did that.

It slowed down his skating a lot. When you can't skate well that destroys your two-way game.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Krime posted:

Team Web Pages 2.0

Designed for mobile. (By someone who doesn't actually use a mobile device.)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Scorchy posted:

I wonder how common it is for a guy to be good defensively at lower levels and bad at higher ones. The guys who get good defensive reps in the lower leagues are some combo of general super prospects and guys who are projected to be role players. You'll see quite a few of those players fail, but usually an overall failure as opposed to just their defense. We know quite a few guys who can score in the CHL/NCAA/Europe/AHL but not in the NHL, but how many guys had defense that didn't translate?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I wonder how common it is for a guy to be good defensively at lower levels and bad at higher ones. The guys who get good defensive reps in the lower leagues are some combo of general super prospects and guys who are projected to be role players. You'll see quite a few of those players fail, but usually an overall failure as opposed to just their defense. We know quite a few guys who can score in the CHL/NCAA/Europe/AHL but not in the NHL, but how many guys had defense that didn't translate?

Bo Horvat is poo poo at everything to do with defence except for faceoffs and he was drafted largely as a Patrice Bergeron-esque two way centre. He's lucky he developed a decently rounded offensive game, because he's a train wreck in his own end.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
give it to me straight, doc, how mad am i gonna be when konecny gets sent down

e: provorov played the most of any skater except mcdonagh tonight :wow:

Vicas fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 4, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Konecny looks good but I'd be real wary of burning a year of that ELC. To me it looks like he'll at least get his 9 game look for sure. I think Provorov definitely makes the team, I don't think another year of juniors helps him.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
McDonaugh got WORKT on that OT goal by Jake

https://twitter.com/SonsofPenn/status/783119782954631168

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that is some filth

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Hextall seems pretty firm on not promoting young players to early. Hell, the only reason Ghost Bear saw the NHL last season was because of all the injuries.

Just gotta have faith that Hexy knows what he's doing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Konecny looks good but I'd be real wary of burning a year of that ELC. To me it looks like he'll at least get his 9 game look for sure. I think Provorov definitely makes the team, I don't think another year of juniors helps him.

Who cares about burning a year of his ELC?

If anything it will keep the salary down for his first post-ELC contract.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philly has been so impatient with things for so long that I don't mind still being patient for one more year if that's what hexy feels is necessary. There's a whole ton of potential in the pipeline for what feels like the first time in forever and i'd rather not blow it by being too trigger happy

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That's what he gets for spamming the poke check button.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

JoelJoel posted:

That's what he gets for spamming the poke check button.

Yeah but stick lift is broken this year sooooooo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jake looked really good in the WC on that bad Czech team too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The problem with reading into a player's defense at junior level is guys are playing at all different ages and the skill level is also way wider than it is in the NHL. Everyone in the NHL is really good. Not everyone in juniors is. Some guys get overhyped because they can dominate other kids and then run into actual men and can't translate it. I remember Gilbert Brule was quite the power forward terror in junior hockey and was pretty hyped and then he just couldn't bring that game to the NHL.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rieder signed. 2.225 aav over 2 years

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
https://twitter.com/JasonPHT/status/783149498423910400

First I laughed, then I cried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Why the everloving gently caress is Chris Summers still up with the main squad

Why is Lapierre still not released from his PTO

Goddammit AV can we have a year where you don't have to go through 50 loving players until the final preseason game

• Locked thread