Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's the perfect time of the year to play or try out some new horror games! Great horror games are some of the best in the medium with lots of classics and new titles coming out every year. Prepare to be scared!

Recommended classics

Fatal Frame

Fatal Frame now has five English releases with last year's Maiden of the Black Water for WiiU. Also available for Wii and WiiU is the remake of Fatal Frame 2, which is really good and how I recommend getting into the series for your first time. The other three games, for PS2 and XBOX, are all pretty good and among the scariest games I've ever played. The series borrows a lot from Resident Evil in its tank controls (aside from the WiiU game) and fixed camera angles. The biggest difference is in the combat, which is a lot more mandatory than the earlier RE games. Players kill ghosts using the camera obscura. In each game the camera can be slotted with different and more powerful films and upgraded with points earned from killing ghosts in special ways. ghosts usually have some sort of special gimmick to how they work. Fatal Frame 1 features a ghost that is unable to see you but can teleport to your location the moment you make a loud sound. Other ghosts drop their heads until the last second before they attack to prevent you from getting an easy shot in. These games can also get fairly challenging, so keep that in mind if you take a chance on them!

Silent Hill

Silent Hill's mainline series features some of the best horror games ever made. Silent Hill 2 is usually the top of any gamer's horror list- it's really extremely good and scary. A really huge recommend if you've never played it. But the other three main titles are also excellent ant worth a shot. Silent Hill 4 gets mixed reviews but imo it's a good Silent Hill game and the last game Team Silent worked on before being split off into the phone division.

Silent Hill also has some good off mainline series games but also some you should avoid. Shattered Memories (WII) is a really solid game with flaws in its level design but really does a lot to feel like a unique SH game. Other titles like Homecoming (PS2) are either not good at all or are like Downpour (PS3, X360) fairly mediocre with one or two interesting things about them.

Nearly every SH title, except for Downpour and Shattered Memories, are tank controls with a mix of fixed and open camera angles. The games rely heavily on psychological horror in their stories but the monster encounters and level design often do a good job of incorporating intense body horror vibes. The whole series is scored by one guy who provides a distinct sound and is honestly one of the best parts of SH game. Huge recommend if you haven't played any of them but don't buy the HD collection!

Resident Evil

Everyone has played a Resident Evil game at some point, usually it's one of the mainlines. RE 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica have aged somewhat well but are often made more challenging by their lackluster control schemes. If you're looking to get into the franchise for the first time this October I recommend the very extremely good remake of Resident Evil 1 that's available on PS4 and PC. Also try RE4, available on PC, because it's gaming ambrosia. The series has a problem with non-mainline games being really awful but there are a few titles that fans should absolutely play! RE: Revelations (3DS, PC) is very fun to play and even features a PC port that works way way better than it should. Its sequel Revelations 2 (PS4, PC, XB1) is one of my favorite RE games at the moment. It also features the return of Mercs mode but I don't know how alive the online for it is at the moment. Still a big recommend either way!

RE7 is slated to be released in January 2017. The demo is available now on PS4 and is updated to include more content every now and then! The RE2 HD remake is still being worked on too!

Other Games

Penumbra
A series of games by Frictional Games. They play a whole lot like Amnesia and are pretty scary. Worth a look but Amnesia TDD is the pinnacle of these games.

Condemned
A first person horror game with visceral combat. I only really recall the Condemned 2 and I remember enjoying it. Best Bear sequence in any game.

FEAR
Fear 1 and 2 are each fairly scary but really shine with their gun play. The paranormal aspects of the game are pretty heavy rip-offs of Ju-On and might've been cooler when I was fourteen. Fear 3 is kinda silly.

Dead Space
Dead Space 1 is the closest you're going to get to System Shock 3. I believe that Dead Space 2 is the best of the series and worth a playthrough if you haven't played any of the series. Dead Space 3 goes the action route but features excellent co-op, weapon customization, and a really cool DLC chapter. I know I like DS3 more than most too. There's also an On-Rails shooter called Extraction (Wii, PS3) that's alright.

Alan Wake
Action Horror game produced by Max Payne creators Remedy. Interesting gimick to its combat but sort've bland third person combat. Goes on sale along with its DLC for cheap usually.

Siren
Siren isn't a classic but it's likely one of the scariest games I've ever played. Borrows from RE and SH while adding flavor of its own. Japanese villages are cursed by a blood rain that turns citizens into monsters very similar to the enemies from the more recent Evil Within game. There's a big focus on stealth and straying from combat altogether. You can currently play Siren: Blood Curse on PSNow.

List threads are very lame! Last year imps talked about their favorite fall games and Arfjason delivered an extremely viscous burn on some gbs guy. I challenge you to pick a new or old horror game to beat before November 1 and convince other pimps to try out some new games this Halloween!

Spooky gaming, play with the lights off!

-----
Other essential Fall Threads

The Fall Av Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I'm going to reinstall REmake and I'm going to finish it this time too.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
RIP Silent Hills

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I need to replay PT at least once before I replace my PS4's HDD

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

REmake is a free PS Plus game this month for anyone who hasnt picked it up in the past. Im going to replay Order of Ecclesia for October, and maybe RE4 on PS4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also should play SIlent Hill because Ive never played any game from that series before and they seem cool.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I also should play SIlent Hill because Ive never played any game from that series before and they seem cool.

:stare: you need to get on that shid bro. start with the second one and be amazed

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Two is a great place to start, SH3 even has a PC port but I'm unsure where you'd be able to get it.

In Training posted:

REmake is a free PS Plus game this month for anyone who hasnt picked it up in the past. Im going to replay Order of Ecclesia for October, and maybe RE4 on PS4.

Cool, any ps4 owner has no excuse to give it a shot now. Also RIP Raccoon City, which was nuked on this day in 1998

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have a compulsion to play every game in order of release if I try a new series so I'll start with 1. I'll prolly just be emulating them

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

rediscover posted:

RIP Silent Hills

My heart...

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

In Training posted:

Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Last October I played RE4 for the first time so know it's time to find out what the deal with silent hill 2 is

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SH1 is good it's just a situation where 2 improved in every way. Also Shattered Memories is not an hd remake of SH 1 though the advertising makes it seem that way. It's hard to describe but Shattered Memories kinda needs you to have beaten or know about SH1, it's its own game entirely despite featuring the same mc

it's a good game, the psychologist sequences are a pretty obvious inspiration for Until Dawn's own psychologist interview sections. The problem is that the otherworld design in the game gets very confusing and the enemies that are designed around your answers aren't going to be too obvious because you'll have your back to them for most of the game. It's a shame because the otherworld design of this game is unique. The ending is probably the strongest sticking point of the game and it only really works if you've played or seen all the endings to SH1. So if you've done that with SH1 then I'd recommend looking up or playing shattered memories.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 1, 2016

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

In Training posted:

Last October I played RE4 for the first time so know it's time to find out what the deal with silent hill 2 is

Was it a year ago I replayed RE4 already...might need to give it another run

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this guy looks kinda crazy but his jojo collection is phenomenal and the details about all the different ports of RE2 is insane. The dream cast version especially https://youtu.be/TQGlB1LITGA

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Is there any way to play SH2 without a PS2

e: not counting the incredibly fail PS3 HD Collection

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's actually PC ports of sh2 and 3 that are the original hd ports of the game. Dunno how in the world you'd get them or if they'd even work

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

ill probably play RE4, Alien Isolation again, maybe try SOMA. which are the best REmakes to get? and what other good horror games are on pc? i started the evil within once but idk if i want to finish it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i just remembered that call of cthulhu first person game, im going to play that too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i never finished dead space 2 and i think im just gonna replay the whole thing cause it's good

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

not being able to hear in open space :ohdear:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dead Space 2 is major win and good on PC

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna close the curtains and beat RE4 on PC after all these years of getting close but not quite there

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah i need to finally beat RE4. My friends have been playing it and one of them just beat it on professional without carrying his weapons over

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4 Professional is no joke

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

rediscover posted:

RIP Silent Hills

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's time for me to break out my disc of Siren: Blood Curse and play through that again. I love Halloween 🎃

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Gonna buy a copy of Rule of Rose, I'm not afraid of the price.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope there's a spooky overwatch event <.< >.>

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope there's a spooky overwatch event <.< >.>

There was an olympics event right after launch... There's no way they'll pass up Halloween dude.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training posted:

RE4 Professional is no joke

Yeah ive been hearing his frustrations in real time for weeks lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

HORMELCHILI posted:

Yeah ive been hearing his frustrations in real time for weeks lol

That first skirmish in the Ganado village is a killer.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

That first skirmish in the Ganado village is a killer.

He was stuck at krauser with small health no grenades or heals but overcame so god bless that boy

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i don't like scary games that much, but GL with you thread

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjWrexHtiU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

let me click right on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

HORMELCHILI posted:

let me click right on that

I know your being ironic because I guess that's cool to do on these forums or whatever but in going to click on it for real.

• Locked thread