Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPcGO0X308

Before we get to this week, some news items regarding last week's show.

Donald Trump whining that SNL was mean to him

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/787612552654155776

Why SNL bothers Trump where Oliver and Bee don't

quote:

That is the power of having both sides on your show. Lorne Michaels has long worked hard to maintain the perception that SNL makes fun of the left and the right, to the frustration of employees like Horatio Sanz, who called former head writer Jim Downey "the Karl Rove of SNL" for writing what Sanz believed to be pro-Bush sketches. Partly, this is a business decision: You don't stay on the air for 40-plus years if every four years you alienate half of your potential audience. Just as important, though, it positions the show's comedy to hit harder.

But let's say there was a bully in your junior high. What will hurt him more: the nerds saying he's a mean jerk or the older kid who reveals, "I hung out with him once and that dude sucks"? I contend the latter. (If you think neutral shows can't effectively criticize, consider Stephen Colbert, who was still able to “destroy” Trump during the candidate’s September and February appearances on the program.) At least that's what Trump's tweet from this weekend implies

Billy Baldwin doesn't think Alec's Trump is very funny right now, guys :qq:

quote:

“He’s got the voice down very well. I think it’s getting a little too nasty right now,” Stephen told CBSN’s Vladimir Duthiers after the third and final presidential debate of 2016.

“I don’t want to be a party pooper here, but I don’t think it’s very funny,” he continued. “Everybody’s got 20 days now to really do their homework.”

And cakes are serious business

quote:

Many mistakes were made, from presenting the Showstopper first - do they not know the Signature Bake comes first?

It also ignores the fact bakers never bake in teams.

Ladies and gentlemen... Tom Hanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuBx5ya0_4k

If you watch that video, you'll get a ten-second rundown of Hanks' turns at SNL over the last 31 years. Yes, from December 14th, 1985, to May 13th, 2006, Tom Hanks hosted SNL eight times – the first six of those gigs in the span of seven nearly-consecutive years, missing only one season, 1986-87. Since winning his Oscars, he's only returned to host twice, though you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise. He's cameo'd about as many times in the last decade as he hosted in the two decades before then (he appeared on three episodes in the 2012-13 season, alone.) But tonight, after 10 years of cameos, he returns to host his ninth show, with musical guest...

Lady Gaga. This is only her fourth time since on the show since debuting on March 10th, 2010. Maybe it just feels like she's a Five-Timer because she's absolutely blown the doors off the joint each Saturday night she's been in 8H. Tonight she returns, performing from her new album Joanne, which was released yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn599R0ZBwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxlKKCeb9QA

No Vintage tonight. We're off next week. SNL returns November 5, host and musical guest TBA.

This is Emily Blunt's hosting debut. She's been in one film I've seen, The Five-Year Engagement. She was good in that. How will she fare on the live stage? No idea. Check out promo and past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD340hkAe2w

Bruno Mars returns for his fourth turn at the SNL stage. His third album, 24K Magic, is out later next month, and the title track was released last week. Give it a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqyT8IEBkvY

No Vintage tonight. Next week: Tom Hanks with Lady Gaga.

Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator and former star of the hit Broadway musical Hamilton, hosts SNL for his first time tonight. You might not immediately recognize him, as he has shorn his iconic goatee and lopped his ponytail. He's obviously used to the live stage, so he should fit in quite well.

Some folks in the standby line have been waiting 3 days for a chance for a ticket for this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasdWN7OSjY

Twenty One Pilots are an indie-pop/rock duo from Ohio, who have had several #1 hits in the last year, including “Stressed Out” and “Heathens.” They're riding high on the success of the Summer buster of blocks Suicide Squad, for which they recorded the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprcpdwuwCg

There is no Vintage tonight NASCAR has been delayed due to weather, so there will be a Vintage tonight! Probably not one we haven't seen before, though who knows.

Next week: Emily Blunt with Bruno Mars.

I'm doing this quick and dirty, I have little time. Mo0 didn't tap a successor I guess? At any rate, the thread has to be made. I'm not doing a monthly thread only because all the October guests have yet to be announced! There's four live shows in October, one after each of the four debates.

First, last April, it was announced that, starting this season, there would be a 30% reduction in commercials on SNL. Having checked the timings for tonight's show, that initial estimate was somewhat off.

The show's TRT is 1:32:30. The previous format had 28 minutes of that as commercials (17:15 NBC ads and promos, 10:45 local time.) The new format has just 23:30 minutes of commercials, with 4:30 fewer NBC ads (12:45.) Local time remains unchanged. The show's old runtime without ads was 1:04:30; the new runtime is 1:09:00. 4 and half more minutes of SNL!

Here's a couple graphics to illustrate the matter. The segments aren't to scale, quoth Doc Brown, they're designed for illustrative and legibility purposes.

The first half (pre-WU) has remained largely unchanged, save for the break between the first musical guest number and WU being shortened significantly. The second half is where it's been altered most. There are still the same amount of ad breaks as before, but there is one less slot for local stations. Break 6 is NBC ads only, which makes it the first time an SNL ad break doesn't have any local time. Segment 7 is listed as "Possible show segment," and that's all I know. It may just be Kenan popping up to say "Hey guys! SNL will be back in just 75 seconds!" But who knows.

There's also supposed to be sponsored sketches this year. Supposedly just 6 episodes this season. We'll see.

As for the host and band, I have nothing to say, which is partly why I stopped doing these bloody things in the first place! Generally either a host has or hasn't hosted before, so you either know how they'll do or you have no idea. I can say that Margot Robbie was on the Jimmy Fallon Experience this week, and she made it sound as though she almost bailed on doing the show, owing to nerves.

The Weeknd has a new album due in November, Starboy, and the title track dropped this week. It features Daft Punk. Will they also appear on the show tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Na4j8AVgA

And this week, SNL Vintage returns for a third season. Kicking things off is the Bruno Mars episode from 2012. The next few weeks, Vintage is pre-empted by sports and whatnot.

Next week, Hamilton superstar Lin-Manuel Miranda hosts, with musical guest Twenty One Pilots. Please, someone consider making that thread!

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh yes, and even though I think we all know this by now, CAST CHANGES

OUT
Taran Killam
Jay Pharoah
Jon Rudnitsky

IN
Mikey Day
Alex Moffat
Melissa Villasenor

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ugh, most skits have a tendency to go on a bit too long, but if they are not only putting in an extra 4.5 minutes of show time but also possibly removing an entire skit, where is all that time (like 8-10 minutes?) going to go? Are they starting later or ending earlier, putting in 2 songs in one guest spot, doing something extra with weekend update? Or are they just padding out the skits? I hadn't heard of this increase until now, and I was already bummed by the loss of Killam and Pharaoh. I'll keep watching unless it completely goes to poo poo, though. At least I can watch it live this time due to having bought an antenna for the olympics.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

pwn posted:

OUT
Taran Killam
Jay Pharoah
Jon Rudnitsky

IN
Mikey Day
Alex Moffat
Melissa Villasenor

In addition Michael Che, Pete Davidson, and Leslie Jones have graduated to Repertory Player status.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ugh, most skits have a tendency to go on a bit too long, but if they are not only putting in an extra 4.5 minutes of show time but also possibly removing an entire skit, where is all that time (like 8-10 minutes?) going to go? Are they starting later or ending earlier, putting in 2 songs in one guest spot, doing something extra with weekend update? Or are they just padding out the skits? I hadn't heard of this increase until now, and I was already bummed by the loss of Killam and Pharaoh. I'll keep watching unless it completely goes to poo poo, though. At least I can watch it live this time due to having bought an antenna for the olympics.
The start and end times remain the same: 11:29:30 - 01:02:00. The last 50 seconds is the terminal break, so the show itself ends at 01:01:10.

As for content, no idea. Which is pretty much true of every week, as it's live. But an educated guess would be that there will be another sketch or film. The chart is meant to show the segments of the show, not their content. I just used what could be called a standard or typical assortment of material for demonstrative purposes. We'll find out for sure in <4 hours.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 2, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

pwn posted:

The start and end times remain the same: 11:29:30 - 01:02:00. The last 50 seconds is the terminal break, so the show itself ends at 01:01:10.

As for content, no idea. Which is pretty much true of every week, as it's live. But an educated guess would be that there will be another sketch or film. The chart is meant to show the segments of the show, not their content. I just used what could be called a standard or typical assortment of material for demonstrative purposes. We'll find out for sure in <4 hours.

Well, I was brainstorming possibilities, not looking for exact answers. I will admit that I was interpreting "Possible Show Segment" to mean that there may or may not be a skit in that particular segment, though (with maybe just another teaser in between the breaks when they decide not to do a skit, given they removed it from the preceding ad block). I'll be explicit and ask what you think their intentions were when they listed it as that, rather than Skit/Film/MG or whatever.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I think the idea that there would just not be anything or a tease is entirely possible. Since the first episode that's about the time in the show where they return for a few seconds (in the form of a bumper) and go to the next break. If there is time then there'll be content there. If not it would be invisible to the home viewer.

This would be streamlining an artifact left over from the Johnny Carson reruns that SNL replaced in '75. Funny enough, the running time used to be about 01:07:00 when it started 41 years ago. Over the years we've lost a few minutes of show and gained several minutes of commercials (extending the end time from 1 AM to 1:02 AM.) This new format restores that lost show time and then some.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If i remember correctly from the articles announcing less commercials, isn't the trade off (more) promotional product placement?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, now that I look at the ad times surrounding that block, it can't really be a coincidence that the largest reductions in ad times were the blocks surrounding the possible segment, and the combined total ad time from the blocks preceding and following the segment just so happen to add up to the same ad time as the block preceding segment 7 under the old system. Considering the front of the show is unchanged and that both blocks surrounding WU are reduced as well leads me to believe they might be doing something new with it.

^^^ Yeah, the 6 "sponsored" skits or w/e pwn mentioned in the op?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I look forward to Darrell Hammond as Ed McMahon selling Alpo...

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
With Jay gone, any idea who may be taking over Obama impressions?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Kammat posted:

With Jay gone, any idea who may be taking over Obama impressions?

Fred Armisen is in the building

pwn
May 27, 2004

:siren: Che in a sketch :siren:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hahaha that Trump

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Holy hell Baldwin's Trump.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pinwiz11 posted:

Holy hell Baldwin's Trump.

It's so drat good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This is freaking scary.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

You're being very mean to me tonight, Coltrane.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

pwn posted:

OUT
Taran Killam
Jay Pharoah
Jon Rudnitsky

IN
Mikey Day
Alex Moffat
Melissa Villasenor

How do you let Taran walk, unless his contract was up and he wanted to pursue his movie career or something.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

All the blacks live on one street

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

McKinnon is so good

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Alec's face just keeps getting more and more distorted it's amazing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus Alec is slaying the hell out of this

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
Kate McKinnon is a national treasure.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Baldwin as Candidate Trump is really good. Hammond was better as Apprentice Trump.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My problem is I don't even want to see a fake joke Trump played by a raging liberal. That was tolerable enough though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
half expected baldwin to start into coffee's for closers

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Maxwell Lord posted:

My problem is I don't even want to see a fake joke Trump played by a raging liberal. That was tolerable enough though.

Suspension of disbelief, friend.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I want that dress :420:

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
drat, that's an unattractive dress. Are those pot leaves cut into the skirt?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I want to go to Dookie's with Margot Robbie and Cecily Strong.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I want that dress :420:

Never you mind posted:

drat, that's an unattractive dress. Are those pot leaves cut into the skirt?

pot leaves have seven blades

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I want to go to Dookie's with Margot Robbie and Cecily Strong.

I'm so there. Where is Beef?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just once I'd like the host to tell me that they've got just an okay show for us tonight.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

:FACT CHECK (PLUS):
pot leaves have seven blades

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
:laffo: can already see where this is headed.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm kind of excited about Mike Day.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

HE DOES PUPPETS?

e: Crocs with socks!!!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006