Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Released in Japan in late 2000 and the US and Europe in early 2001, Kengo: Master of Bushido was the spiritual successor to the Bushido Blade series. The only connection to the Bushido Blade series, however, is the developer, and the only part that was successful was that it tricked me into buying it when I was a foolish teenager.

In much the same way, this LP is the spiritual successor to my Superhot LP. The only connection to that LP, however, is that they both have katanas in them, and the only part that was successful was that I brought back my friend captive fellow LPer Danaru, who is going into this blind. Not that there's very much to spoil this time around. So please join me in my quest to prove that I don't always whiff with katanas, as I play a game that makes it incredibly easy to whiff with katanas.

Special thanks to CJacobs for providing images and thumbnails!

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Reserved just in case.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Time to find out why this game was critically panned on release (and ever since).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still suspect this game of being a really elaborate prank on the video game industry

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I own and played this game and it is very bad, but I somehow enjoyed it in spite of that??

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
:stare: Wow, that sure is a game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's kinda fun once you grind your stats up but then you figure out a few combos the AI can't deal with body pierce - body pierce - armor pierce.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 3, 2016

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This looks like a fun idea for a game. Shame they apparently hosed it up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

This looks like a fun idea for a game. Shame they apparently hosed it up.

It's more that the start of the game sucks balls. Once your stats get around 2k-2500 you start being able to actually do stuff consistently.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

dis astranagant posted:

It's more that the start of the game sucks balls. Once your stats get around 2k-2500 you start being able to actually do stuff consistently.

This. It's almost entirely this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean

"Stuff" is a fairly generous word

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So you start the game basically about as competent as a dork that bought a katana off the internet and thinks he's Rurouni Kenshin would be. "Oh, you think you're a great hero? Get wrecked, mate!"

Now someone needs to make a military sim that starts you out as the kind of guy who thinks this stuff is tactical.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This game looks terrible. I'm going to enjoy it. :allears:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Bushido Blade was great, so I was somewhat interested in this game back in the early days of the PS2. Never ended up buying this and just stuck with Bushido Blade, though, which seems to have been a wise decision on my part.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it like Way of the Samurai but without the content?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SelenicMartian posted:

And with terrible controls, sheesh that looks bad. Did you need to cleanse your palate of good games after finishing Super Hot?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I can appreciate the general concept of a historical sword nerd machismo simulator, but uh... wow. I don't know what to say to this.

However, I do have a question: Why is the man diaper labeled Middle Mountain?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

If you want to know about content, just wait until you see how short this game is.

Fish Noise posted:

I can appreciate the general concept of a historical sword nerd machismo simulator, but uh... wow. I don't know what to say to this.

Much like how all the gimmicky motion controls in the world could be justified by one good lightsaber game, this concept had potential at some point. Probably during the pitch meeting. But the many bad choices between then and the game actually being released led to the train wreck on display.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They ended up making 3 of these. The other 2 have a lot more actual game involved and much less spamming terrible minigames. This one just missed being a launch title and they clearly just tossed what they had on a cd and sent it out the door.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I was going to say I owned and enjoyed this in my youth. But after looking at it realised I only rented and briefly played this. I do recall getting bored of the minigames.
I did own the second one which was more enjoyable from my hazy recollection. It had a sense of danger when fighting with live swords as you can one hit kill and be killed during those duels.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

CirclMastr posted:

If you want to know about content, just wait until you see how short this game is.

Much like how all the gimmicky motion controls in the world could be justified by one good lightsaber game, this concept had potential at some point. Probably during the pitch meeting. But the many bad choices between then and the game actually being released led to the train wreck on display.

In compesation i remember one of its sequels being nightmarishly obtuse to finish

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fish Noise posted:

However, I do have a question: Why is the man diaper labeled Middle Mountain?

I want to thanks you for this because I was too afraid to ask.

Also: :pervert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I want you all to know that my search history now includes "Japanese Training Loincloth". :mad: I thought the text might be a traditional thing, but not as far as I can tell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundoshi

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 5, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Having actually spent (only) a year learning shinkendo, I'm not sure what to say. With only that training, and being way out of practice, I'm pretty sure I could beat our poor guy here. I recognize a lot of stances and moves, but one doesn't usually (in my experience) hold that high stance as a neutral stance; it puts your sword way far away, so there aren't many viable defensive options.
Speaking of defense, I wince every time I see someone block with a katana, as shown in this game. Defense mostly consists of either a) getting out of the way, or b) deflecting a strike, and turning its momentum into a strike or movement of your own.

The :spergin: above, I admit, might well be flawed. It's only from my experience of doing the art for a year, about a decade ago. :shrug:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Please tell me the move names are correct to the moves.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I loved Bushido Blade. It was/is my favorite fighting game. Learning of the existence of this "spiritual successor" fills me with a deep sadness.

Kengo makes me weep
Like a lost cherry blossom
My heart drifts and sinks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Despite all the bitching, Shadow Strike is one of the best openers in the game. It's ridiculously fast, covers a lot more ground than you'd think, and can lead into some really strong poo poo. Leave the footwork to the dimbots and punish them for basically everything with it. They run in -> sword to the face. They're Fudo or Kumomushin style -> sword to the face. They get blocked too hard -> sword to the face.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think I remember playing this. I loved the first two Bushido Blade games (which are not this), and I picked up either this, or the sequel to this because it was supposed to be a successor.

I remember fumbling around with the controls, finally getting to the first fight against an opposing dojo master in a friendly duel, at which point I accidentally murdered him through no control of my own, and then all of his students were after me with real swords against my kendo stick, and I promptly died immediately.

gently caress Kengo. :saddowns:

[EDIT]And for clarity, this post was made before watching the video, which will probably jog my memory. I've got it bookmarked for when I'm not at work.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Please tell me the move names are correct to the moves.

Not sure. We mostly only learned proper names for kata, not for individual strikes. The names we did learn (forms and moves alike), I don't remember.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

dis astranagant posted:

Despite all the bitching, Shadow Strike is one of the best openers in the game. It's ridiculously fast, covers a lot more ground than you'd think, and can lead into some really strong poo poo. Leave the footwork to the dimbots and punish them for basically everything with it. They run in -> sword to the face. They're Fudo or Kumomushin style -> sword to the face. They get blocked too hard -> sword to the face.

Some forms you could make were just ridiculous in their ability to get poo poo done. Checking my old-rear end save game, I had a form that went Crouched Slash -> Parting Mist -> Flying Swallow. It didn't look impressive in the practice menu, but once you were in a fight, it had insane coverage, as the first two strikes would cover anyone directly ahead of you, while the final strike would send you leaping forward and slashing a wide area in front. Most of the time I would just spam this, as it had minor homing abilities. Very few of the AI characters could dodge it.

Hell, I think Flying Swallow carried me through a lot of poo poo.

Edit: Turns out I'm still "good" at the game years later.
You'll notice in the fight against Genpo that Flying Swallow is really good for striking idiots that dodge behind you.

Also it's really important to learn how to cancel your combos, because hammering on the strike button will get your rear end killed.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 7, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru and I actually introduce ourselves this episode, because we are consummate professionals.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

"It is impossible to raise attack power consistently" with your parry and hit dudes in the back a billion times with your weakest combo tactic, maybe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can we grind low-level students for stats?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Not any more we can't. From this point on fights with wooden swords give poo poo for stats.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh Christ. I remember this game.

Things went downhill fast for me once fighting people with real swords came around.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CommissarMega posted:

I love this question because from what I've seen, the game forces you to grind, both for max stats and effective stats, but then also discourages you from grinding at the same time by making it super painful to grind effective stats. You just have to constantly slam your face into the pavement until you get lucky enough to land the right combos.

It's been weeks since we recorded this and it still keeps me up at night. Why is it this way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This game was made at a 24 hour game jam, which had the misfortune of being run on Opposite Day. So anything that is counter to proper game design or fun got crammed into Kengo.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

dis astranagant posted:

They ended up making 3 of these. The other 2 have a lot more actual game involved and much less spamming terrible minigames. This one just missed being a launch title and they clearly just tossed what they had on a cd and sent it out the door.

Apparently there was four total - The second, sword of the samurai, is comparatively lighter and vastly improved. The third was Japan only, and the fourth, Kengo:Legacy of the nine on the 360, focused more on historical personalities like Musashi, Okita Soji, Sasaki Kojiro and more. It had multiple story modes, which in theory would make for good LP material.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sword of the Samurai is weird. Your forms get 1 canned combo and then something like 18 slots for guard breakers and just guard counters. And I never did figure out just how you learn new moves, they just kinda happen after fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So, any chance of a link for that Way of the Samurai lp? I'm not finding anything on the Master List except for a screenshot lp of the first game.

• Locked thread