Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ok, so what is this garbage?

Rust is a game being developed by Facepunch studios, the guys who came out with Garry's Mod. It is a open persistent world survival game to where you have to collect materials such as wood, stones, and cloth in order to build a stronghold in the world and kill other two legged animals. The game can be purchased on Steam here for $19.99. Please notice the bold section about this being EARLY ACCESS meaning this game is not in any way complete. This game has been in the development stages for years and has even seen an engine change, but it's all for the better. For all you Legacy players it's back to that level of fun.

It's good enough some weirdo exhibitionist made a live action for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQnmO4XBMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqV2t4C2vU

So what makes this different from games like DayZ?

Well to start it's different because this game is a blast. You start off buck rear end nude with a rock. You use said rock to bash on trees or wood piles to get more wood, bash in the skulls of animals / players to get things like cloth, meat (yes even human), bone fragments and skulls and you use all the different parts to build up tools. Get some Wood and some Stones and make a stone hatchet, use the bone fragments to make a hunting knife, the list goes on to include building bows and guns and such.

Ok so it's a survival game where we kill man things, what else?

Aside from being a murder simulator you can build houses/mansions/towers and raid the creations of other players as well. Rust is oddly compelling in that you sort of make your own fun. It encourages a natural kind of teamwork and tribalism which almost always ends in horrifying violence. :v:

Well why even build a base if someone is going to break in?

Some players actually don't build a base themselves, instead raiding other players homes and using their buildings instead. One of the main reasons you do want a base is because it gives you somewhere to slap down a sleeping bag, which is your spawn point, and store all that loot you just took off that naked guy whom you told you were friendly. The best defense to having you place stolen is either, have it well hidden is rocks or out of the way places, build in a community, upgrade the ever-loving poo poo out of your building.

Some people prefer tiny, out of the way shacks, some people prefer towns, or using the buildings in the game. Goons prefer to build gigantic, terrifying monoliths called Dreadforts, the mere presence of which infuriates pubbies to no end. A few dreadforts have fallen to raids, but they've proven to be incredibly secure, defensible, and absurd.

Well if building in a community is a good idea how do I find my fellow goons?

Generally you want to look for certain landmarks such as a giant Satellite dish, light houses, and rivers. Also now there are sites that can generate the map for you such as This place where you just type in the server name and as long as they are running the addon it will generate a map to where you can add and share your location with players. Or if you are a horribly lazy bum like we all know you are get a buddy to throw down a sleeping bag for you.

How else do I find goons to play with?

Mumble
gently caress Mumble, go to fuckgoons.com and throw that invite link in Discord. Then harass the poo poo out of people to get you authorized for the channel.

:wooper: Servers :wooper:

Current rat-poo poo server being raided
Just check the last page or ask since we are constantly switching or ask in Discord (fuckgoons.com)

If anyone else should have a server or mumble server they would like added feel free to message me and I will add it to the above list.

:siren: Summary if you felt the above was too long :siren:

This is the game where you get to wave your dick around and bash other players in the head with rocks. It's fun and cheap so stop being stingy, it may be in early alpha stages but it's a blast and there is constantly updates where the headlines can be seen at playrust.com weekly.

PROTIP SECTION
Here are some tips for playing with goons on modded servers, follow this list to bathe in pubbie tears
1.) Find out which server goons are currently on. Odds are you can read the last page of the thread and it will be there or just ask in the thread.
2.) Download Discord and then go to fuckgoons.com (fitting right?). Take that link and throw it in Discord and get someone to authorize you.
3.) Find the map for the current server here, all you need to do is type in the server name and it should pull up, then sign in up top and on the right side start adding goons. Sometimes as soon as you join the clan it will automatically add them.
4.) Get in-game and start asking for a clan invite (we almost always play with a clan addon due to normal goon-v-goon violence.)
5.) Start adding goons to your friends list. Do this by typing /friend add (name.) This is normally required for setting home locations and sometimes for disabling friendly fire.
6.) Ask someone to teleport you to the goon base. This is done by typing /tpr (name) and the person accepting the teleport must type /tpa. If the server does not have a teleport mod ask for a sleeping bag to be placed down for your convience and then either die to another man, bear, nature, or kill yourself by bringing up the console (F1) and typing Kill, hit enter, then do it again.
7.) Once you are at the base, assuming there is a teleport mod, get somewhere on the ground floor and type /sethome (whatever name you want), generally servers with the mod will allow anywhere from 3-5 homes and there can be no cooldown between use up to 5 minutes of cooldown. Usually the cooldown from using /home is different from the cooldown of /tpa.
8.) Many servers also have a mod to allow doors to automatically close behind you, this is important for the dreadfort since there can be several hundred doors. You should try the command /ad 3, 3 being the number of seconds before the doors closes.
9.) Find any other useful mods and commands on the server either by typing /help, /?, or /info. Exploit them all as much as possible.

(gently caress garry) :v:

You can lay down a sleeping bag and use the interaction menu to assign it to a friend, making it easier to get together.
Using hatchets on stones and metal causes them to break down faster, same as using a pick on wood and such.
Armor will only protect where it actually covers, so the bucket won't protect your face but will cover the rest of your head.
A Tool Cupboard will prevent others from building within a certain radius of it, but it only protects in a dome shape so make sure you have cupboards on the ground floor!
Most basic resources can be gathered even without a rock. Look for hemp plants for cloth, there will be a small log for wood, and various stones will either have Stone, Metal Ore, or Sulfur Ore.
There are interior and exteriors to walls and doors now. Make sure to point the exterior out since it is much more durable.
You can only rotate items you have placed for 10 minutes, after that they are locked in place.

:frogsiren: Well that's just super cool Kim, but how do I shoot mans with my friend goon mans? :frogsiren:

:siren: SAME WEBSITE NOW GAYER https://www.fuckgoons.com :siren:

Our Motto: No, literally gently caress goons.

BMW History and About Us
Rust History
BMW started in May 2015 when several of the Goon clans from a Goon Rust server banded together and started hellowning literal children. Eventually, we started moving away from Rust as we became more of a group of friends. We've since moved into being into ARMA III, CSGO, Overwatch, PULSAR, Star Trek Online, Wurm Online, Runescape, and other dumb stuff (mainly shitposting in Discord).

Our big thing is that we generally hate most Goons. Especially spergy whiney ones who care too much about social issues and being "nice". All we do is shitpost and talk bad about everyone. Also, occasionally we kill mans.

I hate my life and want to sperg with the WORST Goons
Step 1. Post in this thread with your Steam name and a link to your Steam profile
Step 2. Click this to install Discord and literally jump right into our channel (protip: set your mic up and make sure it isnt on the floor or something)
Step 3. Read the #read_me_first_you_fucker channel

I want to play Rust
1. Join Discord
2. Search for Rusticity to play with BMW (or join one of the #MRGA which are Goon run servers if youre into playing with yourself which youre a Goon so that goes without saying that yeah youre into that weird poo poo.)
3. Join and grind for an hour to build a 2x2 wood house and a spear

So who is in charge
In charge is a strong word, but overall myself, Taylor Swift, G-mach, Jack, Rejdukien, Hazlen, Lancek, and Ashy.

Rej, Hazlen, and Lancek are the Wurm Online guys
Future (Usenet Magic-User) and myself are over Rust and Conan Exiles
Ashy is the CSGO sperg
Jack and Gmach shitpost
Kimsemus, who generally raids poo poo, causes trouble, and will hatchet you to death

BMW YouTube
https://goo.gl/bmOxZa

~Live Goons~
http://fuckgoons.com/streams/

Screenshots indicative of rust goon experience

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
:siren: NOW IS A REALLY GOOD TIME TO GET INTO RUST :siren:

There is a wipe coming THIS THURSDAY and we have a really good shot at getting a modded server of our own up and running with a decent population.

check out:

https://www.playrusticity.com

http://playrust.io/map/?23.229.84.86:27025

There's a whole saga involving us ganking this server's population, being DDOS'd etc. As someone so poignantly said, BMW goons are the jews of Rust.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Loving Life Partner posted:

:siren: NOW IS A REALLY GOOD TIME TO GET INTO RUST :siren:

There is a wipe coming THIS THURSDAY and we have a really good shot at getting a modded server of our own up and running with a decent population.

check out:

https://www.playrusticity.com

There's a whole saga involving us ganking this server's population, being DDOS'd etc. As someone so poignantly said, BMW goons are the jews of Rust.

confirmed

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This is a bad game dont play. Certainly dont play it for 3000+ hours.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Before Rust I was a happy go lucky guy. After Rust I'm full of anger and hatred.

Would play again.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
PSA: This game is still EA, but only in terms of non-core features being added. The game is very complete in terms of gameplay.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A lot of progress has been made on Rust, unlike a lot of Early Access games, but in my opinion it stills suffers from a lot of issues that prevent it being a great game. As it stands, it's the games with in the game, as it were, that makes it fun. Mostly basecrafting, destroying other players' hopes and dreams, some pretty funny co-op combat rigmarole.

That being said, that only goes so far. I think the game will only really be finished once it could theoretically played as an enjoyable single-player survival game. It feels quite a distance from that. They really need to beef up the early game difficulties (not from players), creature AI, material diversity, methods of gaining XP. The combat systems aren't too shabby right now, just feels like they need to focus on the more Minecraft-y aspects.

Not to shoehorn DayZ into a Rust thread, but a lot of people want to turn these types of survival games into combat simulators while not realising that that avenue usually ends up as some variety of inferior shooter. In my opinion, PvP combat is not the USP of the games, even if it is important.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just got the game yesterday from a friend. Is there a good place to see a summary of update information? I keep hearing from players about a wipe and big update on Thursday, but all I can find is a million dev blogs that are pretty hard to parse if you just want to know patchnotes.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
The problem is a lot of the progress is just graphical, or new clothing/armor that no one uses. Or they make changes like the xp system, which end up being bad and now they're going to try this component system which sounds worse.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

attackmole posted:

Just got the game yesterday from a friend. Is there a good place to see a summary of update information? I keep hearing from players about a wipe and big update on Thursday, but all I can find is a million dev blogs that are pretty hard to parse if you just want to know patchnotes.

Most the Dev Blogs have a tldr at the bottom. May not help but its something.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Goon Server has been updated and wiped. Barring a DDOS this week it should be a good one.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Taylor Swift posted:

The Goon Server has been updated and wiped. Barring a DDOS this week it should be a good one.

:getin:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
A fellow goon and I play on vanilla rust server Toronto. We have a pretty nice archway base setup, but there is a small clan of at least six massing across from us. We'd love to take in some Goons for friendship and support. Add me on steam (ID: Dorkopotamis) if you're interested in joining up.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 8, 2016

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Vanilla? :negative:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Anything else is for casuals.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
poo poo is it time? I need to find my goddamn laud hailer and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome script oh my loving

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
The component system update is surprisingly good and playable. On Rustafied, the most fun server, huge clans no longer all get AKs on Thursday. This game is going good places.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

howdy yall,

if any of you are interested in playing around with some good vibes add me on steam and mess around in our pubbie killzone

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I haven't played Rust in months, but I'm getting hecka bored with all of my other games and would really like to come wreck some poo poo with you guys. I'm Ariesian on Steam / Discord.

It looks like you guys maybe got DDOS'd though? I can't get the server link or website to load. :ohdear:

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 17, 2016

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That drat Satyr posted:

I haven't played Rust in months, but I'm getting hecka bored with all of my other games and would really like to come wreck some poo poo with you guys. I'm Ariesian on Steam / Discord.

It looks like you guys maybe got DDOS'd though? I can't get the server link or website to load. :ohdear:

Yeah the OP hasnt been update in a hot minute. The old owner got pissed at us for some reason and spent several hundred dollars to DDoS us all the first weekend and it slaughtered our user base. Cynthia and some other folks are playing on Viking Republic but its pretty grim. The whole game is on the decline. However, if anyone can make it great again, its BMW.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I play on Deadlaugh a lot. It's toxic as gently caress, but a large group could own and farming takes half the time.

Cynthia_Dutch
Dec 30, 2012
Sooo I am currently leading a group of awesome people on Viking Republic. Everyone is welcome to join and you can always find me on discord. Shoot me up a message if interested!

Cynthia_Dutch
Dec 30, 2012
if you want to join go to fuckgoons.com

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
jfc, so we are starting our group back up for this dead bad game.

discord.bmwdiscord.com for anyone interested in some rocking out with our cocks out.

e; we will be on Rusty EU 4x. Update should be coming soon.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I'd like to join a gang of naked goons

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Garry in his infinite wisdom change the core aspect of the game re: tool cabinents

You can now build twig and ladders anywhere, regardless of build coverage. Its turned the game weird.

Regardless, we soldier on. We've got a pretty decent group going, Nonpoint is leading a new thing so we just do whatever he says, plus an angry racist redneck doesnt yell at you anymore for losing AKs so win/win.

Hit up the BMW Discord (discord.bmwdiscord.com) and check the Rust channel for more info if youre a masochist who loves lovely EA survival games dev'd by a schizophrenic Brit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I got a server with my buddy at ip 144.48.106.194:28221. Hop on and help me get pop goons!

• Locked thread