Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
 
  • Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido



Click here to watch this update's video!



: During the previous debate, there was only one weak spot... But from this point on, there will be various weak spots standing in your way. No matter how many weak spots there are, there will be only one lie or contradiction in the debate at a time. This means there will be false weak spots.
: If you shoot a false weak spot with a Truth Bullet, not only will you fail to refute what was said but you'll also lower your trust with everyone, and your Influence Gauge will take damage. If your Influence Gauge reaches zero, you will fail, so please be extra careful. You'll have to rely on your own logic to determine which weak spots are actually lies or mistakes.
: Also...if you concentrate by holding down the R1/RB button, you can progress the argument slowly. Please use it whenever you feel like the statements are moving too fast for you to aim. However, this does consume the Focus Gauge, so please be careful. Well then...good luck and have fun!
: The Focus Gauge and Concentration are integral mechanics during the trial. During a variety of minigames you're able to use it to slow things down for a few seconds. It's also the mechanic that will trigger our Delusion skill and heal us should we take any HP damage. When you use the Focus Gauge, the Blue bar will quickly deplete and slowly refill when it's not being used.







: I'm sure Byakuya ducked under the table during the blackout.
: That sounds correct!
: If that's the case... During the blackout, Mr. Ham Hands...
: ...must've seen the killer take the knife...
: But it was super pitch black!
: It was so dark I couldn't see my food!
: Byakuya couldn't see in the dark, either... I doubt he could've seen the killer.

It's true, getting under that table during the blackout would have been nearly impossible, but...

: The game's already stepped up the Truth Bullet count to five. We didn't see this in the first game until the end of Trial 2. Mean Logic Difficulty really steps things up in this game and I love it.
: As for the correct answer, Byakuya could have definitely seen the killer if he was wearing those night-vision goggles.



> Shoot "Byakuya couldn't see" with "Night-vision Goggles"









: No, Byakuya was probably the only one who was able to see in the dark.
: ...Why do you say that?



: If he was using those night-vision goggles we found under the table, he could've seen what was happening.
: So...are you saying Byakuya was the one who used those night-vision goggles?
: ...Yeah, that seems to be the case.


: Your reasoning is out of focus!





: No, that's obviously wrong! It should be the other way around!
: O-Other way around...?



: Seriously, the killer used those night-vision goggles, not Byakuya!





: This is the Rebuttal Showdown, a brand-new minigame in Danganronpa 2. I...have mixed feelings about it. Conceptually it's very cool and I think it's a good addition to the game but in execution it's probably the most difficult and demanding minigame to do. I've decided to forego the ingame tutorial this time because it's very long and I feel like I can do a better job explaining the minigame as we go.



: These are our Truth Blades. They are functionally identical to Truth Bullets but the name and shape have changed to fit the "cut through words" theme of the minigame.



: When a statement flies at you, press the stick or dpad in a direction that would cause a cut that bisects the statement. The slices will happen down the middle of the screen both vertically and horizontally, as well as from each opposite diagonal. So in this case, slicing in any direction will destroy this statement.
: Down in the bottom right corner is the Sharpness Gauge. That number tells us how many cuts we are able to make during each round of debate. This is to prevent the player from just button mashing to slice in all directions constantly. Additionally, if you remember, we have the skill Fine Sword. This skill increased our Sharpness Gauge by 5 cuts. It's not of much consequence right now, but I found that the extra cuts this skill provides were invaluable in later iterations of this minigame.



: Here, the statements are stacked on top of each other. That means that the most efficient way to slice through them is a vertical slice, since it will go through both at once, saving cuts and pushing your argument forward. Your argument is represented by the blue glow pushing the striped line to the left.



: When the first round of conversation is finished by slicing all the statements, Hajime will interject before transitioning into the second round.





: Occasionally, a statement will take more than one slice to cut through it, getting redder the more slices it takes. Just keep slicing until it's gone!



: Just like in a Nonstop Debate, the weak spot will appear at some point.



: If you slice through it, you'll lose a lot of ground in your argument, represented by the red glow pushing the striped line towards the right.



: When you reach the end of the second round, Hajime will think about the debate and give his hint like in any other Nonstop Debate. The second round will then repeat.
: It should be noted that if you do poorly enough during the second round and that striped line reaches all the way to the right side of the screen, you'll find yourself losing the argument and will return to the first round of debate.



: Right, let's do this properly.



Round One

: If you just use common sense...
: The killer obviously used those night-vision goggles!
: That's gotta be it!

Advance!

: Where's your proof that the killer used them?

Round Two

: Because, if they used night-vision goggles...
: ...then they could've killed Byakuya even in the dark!
: I mean, in reality...that's what happened.
: So...those goggles were planned in advance.
: The killer brought them to the crime scene!

I found a hole in your argument...! I'm sure Byakuya brought the night-vision goggles... I need to refute Mahiru's claim with evidence!

: We found a case for the goggles inside the duralumin case Byakuya brought with him to the party.



> Slice "brought them" with "Duralumin Case"





: Allow me to cut through those words!



: So that's the Rebuttal Showdown. There will be plenty more of them to come.





: No, Byakuya was definitely the one who brought those night-vision goggles.
: D-Definitely...? But why!?



: Inside the duralumin case Byakuya had with him during the party...



: ...we found a smaller case for storing the night-vision goggles.
: Which means we can assume that the night-vision goggles were kept inside that duralumin case as well...
: Wahoo! I said "assume!" Ibuki never uses such clever language!
: Plus, Byakuya was the only one who could've taken the night-vision goggles out of the case since he was carrying it around before the blackout in the first place.
: I see... When you put it like that, it makes sense...





: Then, was that knife inside the case, too? If there were night-vision goggles inside, it wouldn't be weird for a knife to be in there, too!
: It *would* be weird.
: I *am* weird, aren't I...? At times like this, I'd rather be fantasizing about...tonight's "main dish"...
: Ewww! You totally mean that in a perverted way!



The knife was brought in the duralumin case along with the night-vision goggles, too...?

No, that's not possible. The knife was hidden in the dining hall before the party even started. I should be able to prove it.




: Simple multiple choice question. These are usually easy because one answer is often obviously wrong. In this case, we can conclude the knife had been duct taped to the underside of the table.

> Duct Tape

: I see!



: There was duct tape left under the table where the body was found.
: ...Huh? Duct tape?



: They probably hid the knife by duct taping it to the underside of the table.
: Oh... So that's why we found duct tape there.
: Though Byakuya was thorough, even he couldn't have noticed a weapon taped to the underside of the table...
: ...This may be off-topic, but why was Byakuya acting so paranoid?



: Not only did he bring a self-defense kit, but he had night-vision goggles inside the case, too...
: That's true! He went above and beyond being a little cautious...!
: Now that you mention it... That applies to the dangerous items he confiscated as well.
: It's one thing to be a little cautious, but performing a body check is a bit much!



: He probably knew...someone was planning to commit a murder...
: Are you saying he predicted the murder!? Could it be...? Was he also in possession of the All-Seeing Eye...?
: You think so too, right Hajime?

That's right...Byakuya probably knew there was a possibility that a murder would occur...



> Present "Murder Threat"



: Everyone... Can you please take a look at this?





"Be careful. The first kill will happen tonight. Someone will definitely kill someone.



: Hey... The hell is this...?
: Hajime and I found this in Byakuya's cottage.
: It looks like a threatening letter someone sent to him.
: So who's the someone?
: Nobody besides Monokuma would write such a dumb, threatening letter like that...



: Wasn't me!
: ...Are you sure?
: The only lies I tell are friendly lies!
: Those are still lies!



: It doesn't matter who wrote it yet... So, Byakuya became paranoid because of this threatening letter?
: He probably decided to throw a party because of the letter.
: ...What do you mean?



: By gathering everyone in one place, he tried to create a situation where everyone could keep tabs on each other. In doing so, he tried to put the writer of the letter in a situation where they couldn't act.
: But the letter might've been just a little prank...
: As long as he was determined not to let any of us die, he couldn't take that risk... His strong sense of responsibility...made him believe the letter was legitimate.



: Tch...! He should've told us he received a threatening letter...!
: If he had, we would've panicked... Byakuya probably knew that, too.
: So... He tried to do something about it without telling anyone?
: I see... His strong sense of responsibility as our leader was his undoing...
: Tch! Screw that noise! Who the hell wrote that letter!?
: Well, obviously...the killer...





The killer...

Is it...really one of us? Who...is it? Among us, who's the one...who killed Byakuya?


: Hmph, enough already! Show yourself, you coward!
: If they were willing to come forward, they never would've committed a murder in the first place...

But...I still can't believe it...



Someone in this room killed Byakuya... There's no way I can believe that yet...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talow
Dec 26, 2012




The new minigame looks pretty interesting.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!




Fun Shoe

I love the way Hajime's hair-thing wiggles so much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Wanna see a demonstration of my school? It's called "Eight Leaves, One Very Big Stick"!


Taco Defender

The Rebuttal Showdown is the first of the new additions to trial mechanics which makes the students seem smarter and more engaged than in DR 1. It's not the same as the bullet time debate in which the opponent is filibustering with nonsense - this time your opponent has a point of view based on reason and won't just take your word as proof - you have to defend your point with evidence. It's a little different than the non-stop debates and variety is good. Plus, the music for it is also fantastic.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.



The rebuttal showdown tutorial does feature my second favorite DR2 Tutorial quote, "Were you surprised by Mahiru's sudden argument? Just between you and me...I was also surprised! ...Just kidding. I'm sorry."

Speaking of rebuttal showdown tutorials, something the game never tells you is that you can increase the damage of your attacks. By cutting any direction twice, then cutting in the opposite direction, you deal a more powerful attack. So, up up down, or left left right, for example. It's handy when you're playing on mean action difficulty.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido



I never knew that! I'll definitely keep it in mind for future Trials.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?



dancingbears posted:

Speaking of rebuttal showdown tutorials, something the game never tells you is that you can increase the damage of your attacks. By cutting any direction twice, then cutting in the opposite direction, you deal a more powerful attack. So, up up down, or left left right, for example. It's handy when you're playing on mean action difficulty.

...what.

I never knew that. How are you supposed to figure that out when you usually only have enough blades to hit everything with no mistakes?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009


Haha, holy poo poo I was not expecting your own argument to get interrupted by someone else. That's awesome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

Excuse me, I'd like to
speak to the moderator





Buried alive posted:

Haha, holy poo poo I was not expecting your own argument to get interrupted by someone else. That's awesome.

This is such a great addition to the game. It makes you feel like all the students are playing their own version of the game with their own set of Truth Bullets and your cut scene was their Non Stop Debate. It works really well.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005


Everybody looking serious is seriously juxtaposed with Ibuki's resting "la la la" pose.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&





It's cool that there doesn't seem to be anyone like Yasuhiro or Toko who just add noise to the trial and are mostly dead weight when it comes to investigation.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia


SardonicTyrant posted:

It's cool that there doesn't seem to be anyone like Yasuhiro or Toko who just add noise to the trial and are mostly dead weight when it comes to investigation.

Yeah so far everyone seems to pulling their weight in some capacity or another. Even Steve and Hiyoko have made some interesting observations this trial and in the pre-trial work we got a lot of help from the class.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008





FPzero posted:

: This is the Rebuttal Showdown, a brand-new minigame in Danganronpa 2. I...have mixed feelings about it. Conceptually it's very cool and I think it's a good addition to the game but in execution it's probably the most difficult and demanding minigame to do.

100% agree with this. It's a neat idea but my god it becomes a pain to do later on, even on normal difficulty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Somebody call for an ant?



Huh, so our protagonist is backpedaling to,
"Someone in this room killed Byakuya... There's no way I can believe that yet..."

I guess the kid is a little more optimistic than he's lead us to believe after all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido



Click here to watch this update's video!





: Um... Pardon me. Can I say something, please?
: ...What is it, Miss Sonia?
: I regret that I must return to this topic, but...I just realized something concerning the night-vision goggles. If Byakuya was indeed wearing those goggles...how did the killer manage to navigate in the dark?



: You're right... They wouldn't have been able to see anything without the night-vision goggles.
: But if the murderer had the goggles when they took the knife...then how did Byakuya see them?
: Even if the knife bore some sort of mark...it would've been difficult to see it in that darkness.

No...the killer definitely used a mark. And because of this mark, the killer was able to get the knife from under the table into his hands.



> Glowing Paint



: What if the glowing paint was the mark? With that, you'd be able to get the knife even in the dark.



: In actuality, the knife we found under the table...



: ...and the duct tape stuck to the underside of the table were both marked with glowing paint, right?



: Does that mean...the killer painted them in advance?
: But painting them with glowing paint...? It's as if they knew the blackout was going to happen.
: They had to have already known. That's why they used the glowing paint as a mark.
: ...Which means whoever set up the blackout is the killer!
: That seals it. The killer is whoever was in the office with the circuit breaker...





: ...Which means it was you, Peko Pekoyama!
: Eek! Peko killed poor Byakuya!? Was this island not big enough for two glasses-wearers!?



: ...I am not the killer.
: Oh, I guess she's not!
: ...How can you believe her so easily!?
: But... With Peko's height, I don't think she'd be able to reach the circuit breaker in the office...
: I-I don't care about a technicality like that! Peko's the one who tripped the breaker and caused the blackout!

By tripping the breaker directly from the office, Peko was the one who caused the blackout... Is that...really what happened?



: In this debate, blue-colored weak spots will start appearing. If we call the weak spots you've seen up until now Argue Spots, the blue-colored weak spots will be called Agree Spots. When shooting Agree Spots with Truth Bullets, you need to flip your way of thinking. Instead of arguing that the other person's testimony contains lies or mistakes, please fire the Truth Bullets that prove the other person's testimony is correct. When your Truth Bullets merge with their weakness... It will become a logically sound Agreement! ...Isn't it a little hot in here?
: From now on, you must infer whether it's best to "argue" or "agree" based on what's being debated. Well then...good luck and have fun!

: I really like the addition of Agree Spots as a mechanic. It's a natural extension of the Nonstop Debate mechanics and allows for a new level of complexity in debates. The only bad thing is that this now leaves me with in a poor situation regarding LP formatting. The [color] tags on SA are disabled for everything but custom titles, so I can't just have yellow and blue weak spots represented with color in my text. So, going ahead I'm just going to have to make the best of the situation and hope that this formatting won't be confusing to everyone reading the updates.
: "Argue" Weak Spots will continue to be represented by bolded text alone, just like they were for all of DR1 and have been in this LP so far. "Agree" Weak Spots will now be represented by bolded, underlined text. Please remember from here on out that bolded, underlined text represents an Agree Spot if you read the updates instead of watching them. Obviously, if you're watching, you'll get to see the yellow and blue text with no problem. Let's get to it!





: I do this in the video but new to this game is the ability to pre-select your Truth Bullets before the debate starts by holding down L1/LB and scrolling before everyone starts talking. It's not particularly useful, but it's there.



: Since Peko was in the office...
: ...she could've caused the blackout at any time!
: That's impossible...
: Huh? Why is it impossible?
: Because I was not in the office... Not even before the blackout...
: What happened to your guard duty!?
: Sorry...
: Oh, you weren't in the office...? That's clearly a desperate excuse!

Just from listening to Peko's testimony, it's not weird to doubt her. But...I feel like I spoke to someone during the investigation who totally backs up her testimony.

: If Peko wasn't in the office, where was she? Didn't Nekomaru say that the bathroom was occupied the whole time after Peko left the dining hall AND didn't unlock until after the body was discovered? Could it be...?



> Shoot "before the blackout" with "Nekomaru's Account"





: I agree with that!





: No, I think Peko is telling the truth.
: Hm-hmmm, don't tell me you're crushin' on Peko?
: I-It's nothing like that at all... Nekomaru's account is actually Peko's alibi!



: I-I've been trying to use it many times...but the door just won't open at all!



: It's true, someone was occupying the bathroom for a long time shortly after the party started...
: And it was finally freed up...*after* Byakuya's body was discovered.
: Ah! Then the person who was in the bathroom that whole time was actually...!?
: Everyone else besides Peko was in the dining hall after the party started, right?
: I see... So there's no way anybody else could've locked themselves in the bathroom except Peko.
: I-I guess that would be...true...





: Y-You locked yourself in the commode? You should've said so earlier!
: There's no way she'd actually say that! Gosh, you are *so* insensitive!
: If she locked herself in the bathroom for that long, there's no doubt... It's poo poo.
: GAH-HAHAHAHA! Aw there's no way she'd admit it! There's no way she'd admit she was taking a poo poo!
: Hey, weren't you guys taught any basic manners!? Or were you raised in a locker room!?
: Gh! I'm sorry!



: I-It's fine... How about...we stop talking about this and move on to something else?
: Don't worry, the smell wasn't *that* strong! I used the bathroom right after you, so you can trust me!
: ...I-I said it fine!





: But still, you were in the bathroom for a really long time. Did you get food poisoning or something?
: As soon as I stepped into the office, I felt this sudden rush of pain in my stomach... Because of that, I was unable to leave the bathroom... Including when...the blackout occurred...
: Hey, how did it feel to do your business in the dark? Did you get...excited?
: Seriously. Stop it.



: But still, your stomach pain... Was that really just a coincidence?
: Hey, what's the deal? Don't butt into other people's business, especially if you didn't do any investigating.
: Heh, I'm only buttin' in 'cause you fuckin' idiots are outta your element.
: Stop this childish nonsense... Just what do you mean by "coincidence"?



: What I mean is... Is it possible someone slipped her some laxatives?
: L-Laxatives...?
: If so, the killer could've tripped the breaker as soon as that girl left the office, don't you think?
: I see! That mighta happened!



The question is whether Peko's stomachache was a coincidence...or if someone intentionally caused it... Depending on the answer, the outcome of this trial could change drastically...







: Did you eat anything weird?
: I don't remember eating anything weird...
: Now that you mention it...
: You brought food to the office, right?
: Just a little bit from the dining hall...
: There might've been some laxatives in it, don't you think?
: Teruteru cooked the food! HOW SUSPICIOUS!
: I-I wouldn't do anything about that!
: Laxatives would ruin the taste!

Whether Peko's stomachache was a coincidence...or if someone intentionally caused it... We need to clarify that first.

: We know someone else ate the food too and they didn't seem affected by it.



> Shoot "laxatives" with "Party Dishes"









: No, it's impossible that laxatives were slipped into the food in the dining hall... Because...Peko wasn't the only one who ate that food. Akane ate some of it, too.
: If the food had laxatives in it, I'm pretty sure Akane would've had stomach issues as well...
: I feel totally fine!
: Like I said, th-the dishes are innocent! Don't go making weird accusations!



: ...I apologize for causing a scene.
: Fuyuhiko should apologize, not you! He's the one who made the laxative accusation!
: What the gently caress did you say, bitch!?
: Cease this bickering!





: Let's just dismiss Peko's stomachache as a coincidence...and go back to discussing the blackout...
: Yeah, yeah... We already know that, you trashy skank. You don't have to tell us...
: T-Trashy skank!?

As long as the murder happened during the blackout, then the blackout itself is what's actually important... So we need to make it clear how that blackout occurred...!







: Who tripped the breaker, and how did they do it?
: If you can't answer that, I'mma bop you on the head!
: Did they throw a stone and hit it?
: Maybe they used a remote control?
: They probably messed with the breaker.
: It does not have to be the breaker... They may have tampered with the power supply and transmitters!
: Or maybe they caused a power surge?
: I bet it's really Monokuma's fault!
: By the way, I'm not a trashy skank!

How did the killer trip the circuit breaker...? I'm pretty sure I already have that clue.

: Lots of possible Agree Spots here, some of them pretty close to the actual answer. Given our Truth Bullets though, only the Irons in the Storage Room appears to fit as a source of the blackouot. Now to find the correct Agreement telling how they were used...



> Shoot "caused a power surge" with "Irons in Storage Room"









: It's just as Mahiru said... The blackout was caused by a power surge. Of course, that's not a coincidence. Someone caused it intentionally.



: Which is why those three irons were arranged to cause the blackout.
: When you found them right after the blackout, the irons were still on, right?
: So by leaving those irons on in the storage room, they deliberately caused a power surge.
: Yeah, it seems that's how the killer caused the blackout...



: STUPID FOOL!





: Hold on a second! Let me speak too!
: Wh-What the heck...?
: You say the irons in the storage room were used to trigger the blackout...?



: THAT'S INEXCUSABLE!!!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido



A quick heads up from my end. My finals are fast approaching and I have a variety of projects I'll be working on over the next two weeks. I'm going to try and space out updates a little bit to give myself time to finish them in between homework and studying. I know it's a bummer since it's the middle of a trial and I know I'd certainly like to post them one after another to keep the tension going but I just won't have the time to write the updates for hours on end for the next little bit. Once finals are done though I'll have more time to work on this and be able to post updates quicker. That'll be in about two weeks time. Expect one update every 4-5 days until then just for my sake.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

One's schooling is more important than LPs, so take your time and good luck!

Meanwhile, Hiyoko continues to be just the worst.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012




Yeah, good luck with your schooling.

I do wonder what Nekomaru's thinking that he would argue against the irons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Somebody call for an ant?



probably knowing that it would be enough for a blackout and being able to trigger it on a whim.
The whim we can explain with the lamp. The former makes things look not so good for not makoto

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009


Talow posted:

Yeah, good luck with your schooling.

I do wonder what Nekomaru's thinking that he would argue against the irons.

The A/C timer hasn't been brought up yet. He's probably going to argue that it would be impossible to to turn on the irons in the storage room and then navigate to the dining hall in the dark. Either that or basically everyone was accounted for at the moment the blackout occurred. Since everyone has an alibi, there's no way anyone slipped away (or in) to the turn the irons on.

Still shooting straight for !Makoto as the killer. Helping with the irons is just his way of covering himself and throwing us off the trail.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia


Buried alive posted:

The A/C timer hasn't been brought up yet. He's probably going to argue that it would be impossible to to turn on the irons in the storage room and then navigate to the dining hall in the dark. Either that or basically everyone was accounted for at the moment the blackout occurred. Since everyone has an alibi, there's no way anyone slipped away (or in) to the turn the irons on.

Still shooting straight for !Makoto as the killer. Helping with the irons is just his way of covering himself and throwing us off the trail.

Agreed, if I had to guess I'd say that our pal Nekomaru will want to say that the irons alone couldn't cause the blackout. Though with the A/C timer that brings us back to anyone could have done it since if someone plugged in the irons at some point they'd have just had to go and pre program the timer at some point to kick on too.

I'm also really liking this Trial 1 vs the Trial 1 in DG1. All the characters have continued to act more or less competent, even the joke charters and the agree mechanic makes the non-stop debates a bit more lively.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012




Buried alive posted:

The A/C timer hasn't been brought up yet. He's probably going to argue that it would be impossible to to turn on the irons in the storage room and then navigate to the dining hall in the dark. Either that or basically everyone was accounted for at the moment the blackout occurred. Since everyone has an alibi, there's no way anyone slipped away (or in) to the turn the irons on.

Still shooting straight for !Makoto as the killer. Helping with the irons is just his way of covering himself and throwing us off the trail.

Oh, right, good point. Still think !Makoto is innocent, but good point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Wanna see a demonstration of my school? It's called "Eight Leaves, One Very Big Stick"!


Taco Defender

Truth bullets are another of the new trial mechanics to make students seem more useful. No longer is it the case where 100% of the time a student is wrong, but the protagonist has the only right point. Now sometimes someone else gets it right and you have to agree with them to advance. Another great addition. If I am remembering right (which I might not be), it gets fun later on when some debates have both Argue points AND Agree points in the same round!

I also like Kuzuryu's contribution. Even if it came to nothing, it was a pretty interesting thought.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.


I still want to know how the murderer got under the floor. We never found out how during the investigation.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia


Stabbey_the_Clown posted:


I also like Kuzuryu's contribution. Even if it came to nothing, it was a pretty interesting thought.

Yeah even though it didn't amount to anything spectacular, is wasn't a totally wrong way to look at things. Considering how in the dark everyone is, figuring out if someone goofed around with the food to cause a distraction isn't a bad way to go, especially if the person who might have gotten laced food was supposed to be on guard duty.


Truthkeeper posted:

I still want to know how the murderer got under the floor. We never found out how during the investigation.

I have a feeling Gundham will reveal where the entrance is at some point soon, considering he somehow got his earring back that means there is definitely a way down unless she snaked it up with wire and bubblegum. Once we know where the entrance is, that will likely tell us who the murderer is. If it was anywhere in the dinning room then it could be one, if it was somewhere else in the building then it narrows the list substantially.

I'm still convinced it was Peko though, and her stomach issues was just an excuse to have the door closed long enough to do the deed. Since everyone is demonstrating some level of competence compared to Game 1 its not outside the realm of possibility she was just faking it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005


I just want to show my appreciation for a court drama game that has people's bowel movements as a critical piece of evidence. You keep doing you, Dangan Ronpa.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009


Jimmy4400nav posted:

...

I'm still convinced it was Peko though, and her stomach issues was just an excuse to have the door closed long enough to do the deed. Since everyone is demonstrating some level of competence compared to Game 1 its not outside the realm of possibility she was just faking it.

Eh..the thing with Peko I wonder about is how did she make it from the bathroom to the storage room with a bloody table-cloth without anyone noticing?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 23, 2008

YOU'RE NOBODY



Talow posted:

!Makoto

nnnnNNOOOOO

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets



So I was just going to the kitchen for some water, when I noticed one of my cat's toys, a glow in the dark mouse, and noticed that I could see where the coffee table leg was because when the toy was behind the leg, I couldn't see it.

I wonder if the killer planted the knife as combination bait and trap - thinking that there was a killer, and if they arranged the blackout and the knife, someone with murder on their mind would start hunting for a weapon. When whoever was hiding under the floor saw the glow from the knife wink out, they knew it was time to start stabbing. I wonder if some other person got a note like Blackula did, and just decided on a more... proactive approach.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008





PopeCrunch posted:

So I was just going to the kitchen for some water, when I noticed one of my cat's toys, a glow in the dark mouse, and noticed that I could see where the coffee table leg was because when the toy was behind the leg, I couldn't see it.

I wonder if the killer planted the knife as combination bait and trap - thinking that there was a killer, and if they arranged the blackout and the knife, someone with murder on their mind would start hunting for a weapon. When whoever was hiding under the floor saw the glow from the knife wink out, they knew it was time to start stabbing. I wonder if some other person got a note like Blackula did, and just decided on a more... proactive approach.

This post is meta af.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?



PopeCrunch posted:

So I was just going to the kitchen for some water, when I noticed one of my cat's toys, a glow in the dark mouse, and noticed that I could see where the coffee table leg was because when the toy was behind the leg, I couldn't see it.

Avoid any cracks in your floor. Also, I think your cat wants to kill you. Although, I think that is the same for all cats.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido



Click here to watch this update's video!







Round One

: If the irons in the storage room caused the blackout... Then for the killer to turn the irons on...
: You're saying they went all the way to the storage room?
: Then that means everyone who was in the dining hall...
: ...when the blackout occurred can't be a suspect!

Advance!

: No, just because people were in the dining hall doesn't mean they're not a suspect!

Round Two

: But the people in the dining hall weren't able to cause the blackout!
: If the irons caused the blackout...then the killer had to go to the storage room before that...
: And turn on the irons!
: Now do you intend to take back what you said!?

It's true the irons were responsible for the blackout, but that shouldn't be the only reason!

: And it isn't. Kazuichi was almost on to something last time when he suggested a remote control was used to trigger the blackout. We saw something in two places that easily could have caused the blackout when combined with the irons.



> Slice "irons caused the blackout" with "A/C Timer"









: The irons are just one reason the blackout occurred, but they weren't the direct trigger... The direct trigger was when the air conditioners in the dining hall and office clicked on.
: A-AIR CONDITIONERRRRRRRRRRRRRS!?



: The timers for both air conditioners were set to 11:30 p.m.
: 11:30 p.m... Mr. Ham Hands died around that time, too!
: I see... When the timers activated the air conditioners, the breaker was tripped and caused a blackout.





: I see! I understand! Indubitably!
: ...Indubitably!?
: They probably checked the old building's energy usage in advance, and used the irons to nearly max it out. So once they set the air conditioners' timers, they just had to wait until they started up on their own...
: If so, even if Peko was in the office, it still would have been possible to cause a blackout. Indubitably!
: "Indubitably"? Miss Sonia, not you too!?



: Regarding the energy usage... They probably asked Monokuma about it.
: Dun-dun-dunnn!
: Is she right!? Such a hateful bear... You deserve to die a thousand deaths...!
: A thousand, you say? If I died that many times... I might really stay dead, you know...
: Shut up! You guys just stay quiet!



: I couldn't have prevented the blackout even if I was in the office. But even so, I feel regret... If I was in the office, I could've reset the breaker in time... And maybe the murder wouldn't have occurred...
: No, the breaker in the office was built into a high area of the wall that's impossible to reach... Resetting the breaker in that darkness would've been impossible, no matter what.
: ...Sounds like you don't need to blame yourself.



: Even so, the killer is so sly... I'm starting to worry we may never actually find them.
: It's all right. You don't have to worry. Because...they're just a petty killer, right? They can't defeat symbols of hope like you guys!

Music cuts out.

...Huh?

: There's no way everybody will lose now. This little incident will just be a stepping stone for you all.





: In the end, hope always wins! That's what I believe!
: N-Nagito...? Wh-What happened to you?
: Huh? What do you mean?
: Well...you have been saying this whole time that there's no way a killer could be among us.
: Oh, is that so? Well, let's just put that minor detail aside for now and talk about the incident.





: For now...we found out how the blackout occurred, but the question is *who* caused it, right?
: Anybody could've hid and set the timers for the air conditioners... Setting up the irons in the storage room could've been done before Byakuya set foot in the old building...
: What a shame. Any one of us is capable of that.
: ...What are you implying?





: He's just saying...after all this time, we still haven't made any progress!
: Huh? Even though we have been arguing for so long?
: Unfortunately, it's the truth... Despite the fact that we've discussed this at length, there's not even one clue that leads to the killer...
: But that might be because...there's no way any of us could be a killer.



: Y-You're changing your story again?
: Anyway... I have an idea about what we all should do at this point. ...Has anyone thought about our situation like this?



: Instead of surviving by doubting others, isn't it better to get killed for believing in others?
: D-Doesn't that mean...? Are you saying we should all just give up and die?
: Nagito! There's definitely something wrong with you!
: Haha... You guys only think there's something wrong with me because there's something wrong with *you*. Suspecting each other like this... There's no way that's healthy behavior...

Music cuts out.

: Let's stop this already! We don't have to find out who the killer is!





: I can't stand this anymore! I don't want to do this to my friends!
: I...I don't want to do this either...
: M-Me too! Please... Take me home already!
: Waaaaaaah! I wanna go home and eat candy!
: S-Stop it... If everyone acts like this...I-I'm gonna...



: E-Everyone calm down!
: We're all friends...aren't we? There's no way one friend would murder another...
: Then why did Byakuya die!?
: Who cares...? Let's just give up already...
: There are no clues that lead to the killer anyway... Not a single one...



Music cuts out.

: That's wrong!
: ...I think.
: ...



: ...Did you say something?





: Cuz...we've already found a clue that might point to who the killer is.
: A clue, you say?
: You know who the killer is?
: The killer? I dunno... But we do have a clue about a suspicious person...I think.
: I see... Then care to tell me? What's this clue you're talking about?



: First of all, let's try thinking about how the killer was able to obtain the knife during the blackout.
: Didn't we already cover that? They used glowing paint as a mark.
: No, not that... I mean, before that.

Before...?



Is she...asking how the killer got close to that table? Even if they had to obtain the knife by relying on the glow from the paint, in order to do that... They needed to get close to that table while it was still dark.




: Let's try examining the situation... Mahiru's diagram might be useful here.
: The diagram of where everyone was standing before the blackout, right? Um... Here it is...



: ...

Just as I thought...! This diagram is the clue...! Who the killer is, and how they were able to move to the table in the dark... That's clearly shown...in this diagram.



First...we need to discuss how the killer was able to move to that table in the dark...



The killer probably used...something to help them move in the dark.






: Spot Selection is a little microgame where you have to choose the appropriate thing in a picture. It's extremely simple but sometimes the correct area is a little finicky to actually select. I like its addition though.



: In this case, what if they used the lamp to guide themselves to the table?



: Here!



: The killer must've used the desk lamp to move to that table in the dark.
: The desk lamp...? I hope you don't mean they turned on a light or something.
: There was a blackout... There's no way the killer could've used the desk lamp.

Of course, there's no way they used the desk lamp's light. The killer actually used...



> The power cord





: They didn't turn the desk lamp on, they used its power cord.
: P-Power cord...?
: They could've felt their way to that table using the power cord, right?
: By doing that, the killer was able to move to the table, then used the glowing paint to find the knife.



: And...there's only one person here who could've done that.
: Wh-Who...?





The only person here...who could have possibly done it...



Qrr
Aug 14, 2015




Will you be covering what people say when you falsely accuse them? Most of them are generic but sometimes they have amusing things to say.

In this case, it's clear that the culprit was none other then Hajime Hinata. Why else would it select him by default?

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012


Nagito's voice-actor is knocking it out of the park. So affable and friendly as he talks about everyone giving up and dying. I sincerely hope he's not the killer, just so he can hang around.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido



Qrr posted:

Will you be covering what people say when you falsely accuse them? Most of them are generic but sometimes they have amusing things to say.

In this case, it's clear that the culprit was none other then Hajime Hinata. Why else would it select him by default?

No, I won't. It's too much text for not enough payoff to have to transcribe overall, not to mention you take damage when you falsely accuse someone. I'd rather not sink my end-of-trial rating more than a certain upcoming minigame already does.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia


Doopliss posted:

Nagito's voice-actor is knocking it out of the park. So affable and friendly as he talks about everyone giving up and dying. I sincerely hope he's not the killer, just so he can hang around.

Agreed, I really am liking this voice work, plus that would be a kind of a fun bait and switch back to the first game, accusing our *Not Makoto* of being a murderer.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 9, 2016

Bifauxnen
Aug 11, 2010

Resurrected
Living in a lighthouse
The lions and the lambs ain't sleeping yet


Jimmy4400nav posted:

Agreed, I really am linking this voice work, plus that would be a kind of fun bait and switch back to the first game, accusing our *Not Makoto* of being a murderer.

I have very strong feelings about preferring the Japanese voice, but this particular scene is one of this voice actor's better moments.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!


I almost couldn't believe that was Bryce Pappenbrook for a hot second.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Somebody call for an ant?



Nagito, you save the breakdown for after you get caught. In any case all the makoto similarities seem to be a solid false flag at this point given that I really can't see the ultimate hope telling everyone to just give up and die like that.

Unless this is a super huge red herring it looks like they just clear cut flagged our killer at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 23, 2008

YOU'RE NOBODY


Jimmy4400nav posted:

Agreed, I really am linking this voice work, plus that would be a kind of fun bait and switch back to the first game, accusing our *Not Makoto* of being a murderer.

grffffff

  • Locked thread