Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember enough of the old LP that I better sit out, alas, but fun to see the speculation up to the point where we got.

gently caress Steve though, he's just so gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And probably as a "I hate this character so much I'm not even going to bother learning his name"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think part of it is 'Mi seems wholly incapable of fighting back, it's much like repeatedly kicking a puppy in the face who doesn't understand why it's getting kicked.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And I can't help but feel Mikan would be less of a mess if Hiyoko isn't around to constantly belittle and demean her

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also psychopath: She enjoys killing crabs for no good reason.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Talow posted:

Kinda surprising how no one is really screaming "I am the killer, it was me" in this first trial, compared to first game. I was half expecting that to go up in flames once the trial started, but it's still pretty ambiguous as to who done it.

I think they took to heart the complaint of how relatively easy it was to guess the murderer in DR1's cases which ends up making everyone else into morons

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yea the only cases in DR1 that came close to not being obvious was 2 - least in Oren's lp that's partially due to a mistranslation Oren later corrected and 4 as most people wouldn't think of suicide plus Aoi's and Monokuma's interference. 1, 3, and the final case was either the killer was way too obvious before the trial, or you get lead by the hand to the real culprit.

I ended up guessing wrong a lot of times in the DR1 thread because it was so obvious that I thought there that to be a twist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pretty much. He's trying to come off as a sophisticated chef - look how offended he gets when referred to as a cook, there's a few moments earlier in the game where he kind of slips up.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

One of the things is the sash tie goes in the back - it can't be done and undone by yourself easily, one would either need assistants or a lot of practice. You never tie it in the front.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

might be Jojo's or Saint Seiya too, since they're two of the founding fathers of the Shonen genre

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like with Mikan it's part and parcel of the massive issue of bullying in Japan where it's almost ingrained to ignore it and not cause ire (there's a manga about the issue about a deaf girl being so severely bullied she was forced to transfer out - including the teacher subtly encouraging it).

Gundham is so self-absorbed in his Middle School antics he probably doesn't notice, Fuyuhiki isn't around and Yakuza - probably seen much worse passed off as normal behavior, and Mahiru seems like the type who would bitch at anyone who snaps at Hiyoko for "bullying a little girl", even if she has shown herself to be a toxic presence.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder if the Skoogs are a reference to Shmoos that got lost in translation? Who knows.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rarity posted:

Can we rename Kazuichi to Steve 2.0?

ugh, good thing Steve's dead by now, it would''ve made that scene much more painful.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I just assume she had it on her - perhaps carrying it because she planned on taking it home to wash.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I suppose makes sense to me as someone who read Discworld and is familiar with the ol' "A rock in a sock" school of improvised weapon.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wasn't it part of the issue is that this is a trick that's common in period dramas, etc. in Japan but nowhere else so no one outside of Japan would've really guessed it due to lack of familiarity.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Point: It's more common in horror stories, but what Mahiru did (photographing the dead girl) could be seen as disrespecting the dead and robbing her of her dignity, which is a HUGE no-no in a lot of cultures.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

RedMagus posted:

And I think we're pretty much caught up with where the last LP was, correct?

See kids? This is why you should hem and haw about your feelings and emotions. Be blunt and brutal! That's the Monokuma way!

Nope, we got as far as the start of Trial 3 - or close to it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, I don't think Monobear was going to actually let her off the hook. But, when in doubt about his motives, always assume the most sadistic reason. What's more sadistic than framing the reason he's not going free as her fault for not being convincing enough and then provoking Yakuza kid into confessing his feelings for her. And all of that happens before she gets to see him potentially die right before she dies.

Pretty much, as we've seen - he'll go for the cruelest option: denying Steve information about his mother before killing him, destroying alter-ego in the manner he did in the first game, or denying Celeste her romanticized death by splatting her with a firetruck - so pretty much this was just him kicking the dog a few times before taking it behind the shed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Yes. I think it was mentioned in Orenronen's LP that it was a reference to something.

It's a reference to Titty Twister from Dusk Until Dawn

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Okay, lets type Dusk Until Dawn into Wikipedia because I don't know what that is...

Wikipedia: Did you mean: duck until dawn

Er, no.

*From Dusk Till Dawn, I messed up the name.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a Tarantino film, so it's going to be very bloody, fair warning.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I too still bear the marks of my battle against the demon Smallpox.

E: Gundham, you loving goober.

And reminded how early Fushigi Yugi - Miaka attempted to scare off bandits like claiming her smallpox vaccines were some kind of Demon mark - well, before the whole loving romance sapped away what interesting bits of personality she had.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's very highly unlikely for a Japanese teenager to have tattoos due to cultural connotations - and if anyone in the cast would have one, it'd be more likely Kazuryuu.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FPzero posted:

: It is where hip youngsters wear feather fans and tight clothes as they dance their go-gos and lambadas!

Never change Sonia, never change.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

From me to You too oddly reminds me of Alice Cooper's Roses on White Lace.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wouldn't say Ibuki's being gullible as much as she's being overly literal-minded

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This definitely says something about the different group dynamics between DR1 and DR2 - at this point in the first game, we can think of several potential murderers while where we're "But who?"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

have to say the eyepatch helps with Fuyuhiko's complex about his baby face

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sindai posted:

To me it seems more like she's just capable of being assertive when it comes to her specialty.

She's shown that when performing autopsies, the issue is actually giving the report since Hiyoko is such a bitch

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I get it's difficult to be the first person to raise the issue, but it really bothers me how no one calls out Hiyoko for the way she talks to Mikan, and to a lesser extent Souda and Akane. She's a little psychopath (look how she enjoys crushing crabs and killing ants) - and the games attempts to make her sympathetic like her embarrassment over being unable to tie her obi and the shrine falls flat because of her gross, brutal insults and lack of empathy for anyone else.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BlazeEmblem posted:

I assumed that nobody calling her out on being a terrible human being is more of a cultural thing that doesn't seem right to western people, but may unfortunately seem normal to Japanese audiences.

Japan does have a huge issue of bullying, and a tendency to not socially want to stand out, but it's also a thing in the west - Bystander effect is a hell of a thing, but still it does leave a sour taste not even Maharu who puts herself out as the moral and most go-get 'em out of the lot says absolutely nothing to make Hiyoko stop.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

eating only apples posted:

Definitely the case, someone earlier posted a comparison between when Hajime first found the body and when he came back with the others, the post is way wider the first time.

The time of death is hidden because the killer wants them to think Ibuki died at the time Haiime saw the broadcast, when she probably died much earlier. Hiyoko too obviously.

that and if you make the deaths look more recent, the killer can go 'oh, I was with you at the time, I can't possibly do it'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think you mean Nagito, Mr. Yar.

We can eliminate Nekomaru by the virtue both Monomi and Monokuma more or less say he's still hasn't recovered, and while Monokuma will obscure evidence, they hadn't directly lied in crimes until things started going south for them, and so far monokuma is still confident that they're in control.

I agree Mikan is the one most likely to commit due to timing, and motive for Hiyoko, but then it leaves the question of why Ibuki asides from her gullible status.

Souda is eliminated simply for the fact it's bad detective writing to have the culprit out right lie about the function of a key piece of evidence without someone being able to examine it for themselves, and since one monitor/camera set is smashed, and the other goes unnoted, I think it's safe to say he isn't lying about their capability.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 26, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mateo360 posted:

I meant to actually comment on this a lot earlier, but I don't think anything in this tops the poor translation choice (and subsequently pisses me off) or trips me up like Schizo did in the first game.

the super-long gambit here is irritating, but Schizo was just not only completely wrong but pretty loving offensive on top of it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given how her behavior and her profile suggests she's been severely bullied to the point of having bottomed-out self-esteem, and Hiyoko being Hiyoko and no one else really stopping it, I would put money that her motive is: "I'm loving sick of this and I will take down not only that little monster but everyone who just let it happen"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Still think it's Mikan - given Nagito interrupted right when Hajime was ready to back off to reconsider.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Going off your first point there's now another consideration: body strength. Does Mikan have enough oomph to strangle Ibuki with a rope? It's not that easy.

She's a nurse - oftentimes they have to deadlift a patient that weighs the same or more than they do, sometimes they don't have assistance.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... so with Mikan's lie about the autopsy being explained away as clumsiness, I don't think we have any more evidence to conclusively prove it. This is interesting. We have a suspect who seems to be the one, but not enough solid proof to convince everyone else.

Ah, and here's the turn. The real Mikan appears. Kinda funny, what got her to snap at trial was her last defender agreeing to stop protecting her.

Least that's Fuyuhiko's thought, and Mikan readily agrees of course - given everyone knows her as 'the clumsy one', no one really going to argue 'she messed up'.

And yep, called it that Mikan getting fed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I do wonder if being so badly bullied caused her to go into Nursing, and discovered she's an Ultimate - given being a Nurse gives someone a measure of power over patients that she otherwise would never have, since I suddenly thought of the Angels of Death-type serial killers that kill people under their charge for sympathy and attention.

• Locked thread