Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think you guys are really stretching with that. But the game is a LOT more idiotic than I think at times.

Plus, if Nagito really wants to be the symbol of hope for everyone else, it doesn't make sense to arrange his death to be so impossible to solve and connected to swiping the book so that the book-swiper gets executed even though they had no idea that would kill anyone. That would be one twist too far.

It's much more likely that the fireworks going off was the signal to Nagito to let go of the spear thing, not an automatic trigger (which would be more the mechanic's specialty anyway). Simpler and more in character than trying to get some random person executed. If that's really what he wanted he could have just killed them himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

The thing is, we've already established that his Luck is very real, so it doesn't seem out of the question he somehow used it to make it so that the traitor is the one responsible (by Monokuma's logic) for his death.

I can agree that it would be possible for him to do that using The Power of Bullshit which most of the students seem to have inherently. I strongly disagree that is a thing he would do as part of his character.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Look, Nagito's version of hope and our characters version of hope seem vastly different. Putting aside the hows and whys, Nagito has been acting weird for the past chapter.

Basically he was yanking us around all chapter. And he's been going after the traitor this whole time over and over.

So that's it, then. "Nagito works in mysterious ways." He's god. It's impossible for primitive mortals such as ourselves to examine his words and actions and make an educated guess about whether his plan is to kill a random student for his murder even though they would have had no idea that they were committing a murder.

Too bad he died (not really). He could be an unstoppable super-soldier, just blindfold him and send him into battle and he'll slaughter entire armies. No soldier, no tank, nor plane, nor rocket could possibly give him the slightest of scratches.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, so apparently, Nagito is tied down and can't move. Legs are tied with taut rope, the right hand is pinned to the ground with a knife driven through his hand and can't move. His left other hand is tied with taut rope. We did NOT see how the rope-hand is tied. Apparently it is not a clue, so therefore the assumption is that his left hand is tied with taut rope and can't move.

So if this is suicide like we're all thinking, how did he drive the knife into his right hand with his left hand immobilized?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Who What Now posted:

Well if it really is a Rube Goldberg machine his limbs could have been pulled taut post mortem.

Yes, I agree. But what I am trying to say is that they haven't shown any of those parts.

We've got enough evidence for a theory on how the fire started: The door opened and knocked down some Monobear-shaped dominoes. The last one might have had the oil lighter balanced on top of it (which, Sonia pointed out, stays on), and it fell into a pool of accelerant to start the fire.

What has not been shown is either some mechanism to pull the left arm taut, or something which was able to drive the knife through Nagito's right hand with enough force to embed the knife into the floor (and "balanced on the Monobear stand" is not an acceptable answer). This might be a case of another student seeing it to give evidence at the trial, I suppose, but I doubt that.

I do admit that I am completely stumped about the pierced and bloodstained plushie.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 25, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Qrr posted:

I don't think the knife is embedded in the floor. Hajime only mentions it being stabbed through the hand.

I guess it could be, since I can see a shadow under his hand, it's just that that knife seems [url=http://lpix.org/2999056/058.png]much shorter than usual[/spoiler], especially for a combat knife. If it was only piercing his hand, I would expect his hand to be higher off the ground then that, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Not sure why that notebook is an evidence bullet, it seems completely useless.

Narsham posted:

Brilliant! I guess we know what was in those Fire Grenades now. He used the gloves and gas mask to fill one, some or most of them up with this poison, knowing that people would throw the grenades at the burning curtain and that, being as he was on the floor, he'd get a rapid lethal dose. That also explains why the Monokuma file has no cause of death listed. Presumably he stopped holding onto the cord when the poison killed him and got Grungir'ed at that point.

Now the big question is whether he only put the poison in a single grenade, in which case one student was his exclusive and unwitting murderer, or whether he put poison in multiple grenades, making it difficult or impossible to tell which student killed him. Depends on who he wanted to make things harder for, the students or Monokuma.

It would have to be all the grenades, otherwise the rest would have worked at putting out the fire.

Once again, I have to say that making other students unintentionally becoming the one who murdered him is completely out of character. AND in addition, it would be incredibly unsatisfying for the audience as well if the murderer who got executed never intended on killing someone, but only became a killer because Literally God had a perfect Plan for suicide. If the killer gets executed even though there was no intent on the part of the killer, that's unsatisfying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That the Togami in this game wasn't the same Togami as from the first game is the only spoiler I learned about this game since orenronen's LP was stopped. And it wasn't really much of a spoiler since DR2 Togami's knowledge and reactions were not consistent with him being the same person as DR 1 Togami - at least, not if he was being honest.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is one important consistency that backs it up: his methods were very much Byakuya's. He's the leader, he's not going to let anyone die, he's going to cover security, etc. etc.

And since there was already one obvious change with him being so fat, why wouldn't his knowledge and reactions have also changed?

Are you kidding me? The major inconsistency is that Fat Togami had the attitude Thin Togami had at the end of DR 1, after a whole game's worth of character development, yet apparently had no knowledge or memory of being at the academy or of Monobear. If that's true, he should have had some reaction to suddenly gaining 300 pounds overnight. It was revealed early on to the students that their memories had been stolen, so he could have spoken up then.

If it was really Togami, at best he was lying to everyone about losing his memories and about not knowing anything about Monobear. That alone was highly suspicious. I am amazed that people in this thread just accepted that Fat Togami was the same person as DR1 Togami.

EDIT: And yes, obviously losing ones memories means one's character development would be reset as well, so if Fat Togami was really DR1 Togami and really did lose their memories, they should have been just as much of an rear end in a top hat as DR 1 Togami was at the start of DR 1.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 1, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Buried alive posted:

Eh.. I find this doubtful. I think you'll react in most of the same ways and have the same personality/attitude/etc you always had, you just won't know why.

Um, even if you were right - and you are completely wrong - the games themselves show that without their memories, the people act differently.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
> We couldn't take any merch

Ha ha, well, that was fast. But it had to be. Glad that this twist looks like it'll get unsorted really fast.

Stephen9001 posted:

Still going with the "Nagito mostly did this to himself and depends on his luck to make the traitor the killer" theory.

Still disagree on the principle that creating an unwitting and unintentional killer is a really unsatisfying way for the game to remove another student.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have to say that Akane's "front tail" running gag is so terrible that it wrapped around to being funny after the third time. Although I don't really want to laugh at it because a lot of Akane's dialogue implies a really warped and hosed-up home life. And that's as much as I'll say on that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Could it be that Nagito's cause of death isn't listed in the file, even though it appears obvious?

Anyway, I still do not believe that this is a ploy to get the traitor and ONLY the traitor killed by execution for unintentionally murdering Nagito.

If someone disagrees, then I've got a friendly challenge: here are the truth bullets. Can someone show me which one of those proves, beyond a doubt, that the traitor directly killed Nagito?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 18, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

eating only apples posted:

Uh, idk if you noticed, but I edited my post, so I don't know why you're being so hostile

Apologies, I should have made it clear that I wasn't addressing you in particular. And the intent isn't even meant to be hostile, but a challenge. I have edited my post as well to rephrase. And your edited post does actually back up the idea that it wasn't anything Chiaki did.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 18, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It will be REALLY unsatisfying if Nagito manages to murder someone (via execution) after he's dead. I'll feel like he didn't suffer enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The apparent method of death - "murder" by "attempt to extinguish a fire" makes this case seemingly impossible to win.

If Nagito put the poison into only one fire grenade, there is no way to determine which person killed them, and therefore the killer can't be reasonably picked.
If Nagito put the poison into multiple grenades, there's no method for picking out multiple killers when voting (or, as above, determining which specific person's grenade killed him). Every survivor voting for another survivor won't produce the needed majority anyway.

Therefore the only possible right answer remains to pick "Nagito" as the killer.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 21, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

The problem with that assumption is that you're assuming Monokuma operates on the same assumptions. If he knew who delivered the killing blow, it doesn't matter if the students can't narrow it down - you vote wrong, you die.

Hence the "seemingly impossible to win" part of my quote statement. For a non-Nagito killer, there is simply no possible way to accurately determine the actual killer.

Also, if the end result is a non-Nagito killer, who gets executed, that will be an incredibly unsatisfying and infuriating development. Unsatisfying because the "killer" had no intention of actually killing anyone AND the one who ended up killing them is already dead.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 21, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

dude789 posted:

I think Tenebrais is on the right track in assuming that Nagito relied on his Super Luck but it's possible he took it one step further and trusted that his luck would make it so the traitor would end up throwing the poisoned canister. Therefore, if Nagito's luck holds finding out who is the traitor would also reveal who murdered him.

Where is the evidence bullet that proves that only one grenade was tampered with and not multiple? Where is the evidence bullet that proves a specific person is the so-called "traitor"? Where is the evidence bullet that will proves that the traitor and only the traitor picked the only poisoned grenade?

"Super luck god mode" is not in the truth bullet list.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Who What Now posted:

The traitor is his intended victim and they're going to have to reveal themselves to take the fall. No truth bullets needed.

That doesn't make any sense.

Specifically: That still cannot be proven. There is still no way to prove beyond any doubt that only one and one specific fire grenade had the poison in it, and there is still no way to prove that specific grenade was thrown by the traitor, and even if the "traitor" was willing to sacrifice themselves - which I sure as hell wouldn't be for a bullshit "heads I win tails you lose" setup like this - they still would be taking a guess because even they have no actual way of knowing whether or not they did it. And no "Nagito is literally god and can do literally anything" is not in the Truth Bullet list.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 21, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

quote:

Nagito's killer is the one who made him breathe the poison!

That was Nagito. Nagito's body made him breathe in the poison gas. MYSTERY SOLVED. Exact words are important!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 23, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

Stuff like this is why Nagito is my favorite Dangan Ronpa character :allears:.

He's probably on my top ten list of least favorite characters from ANYWHERE for probably the same reasons people like him. His "luck" is so bullshit that he is literally a god.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, it's pretty clear that any fair judge would rule that it was obviously a case of suicide.

But Monokuma is a dick and just spent the last chapter starving everyone nearly to the brink of death.

So, y'know...

Close your mouth and pinch your own nose. At some point, you'll release your nose or open your mouth, and start breathing. Who made you breathe? You did!

That's why I specifically used Monobear's exact words. Is he going to call himself a liar?

So if breathing in the poison is something that rear end in a top hat did, it's his own fault for breathing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Who What Now posted:

I feel like this is over-thinking one level too far. The thrower is the killer, because they introduced the poison to the situation.

Only by Monobear's bullshit rules. In a regular court, this would be a suicide. That's why I would advocate fighting bullshit with bullshit. Monobear gave a beautiful, wonderful gift to the students: He said nothing about "the one who threw the grenade full of poison" being the killer. In fact, he specified that the one "the one who made him breathe the poison" was the killer.

There's only one person who made Nagito breathe in the poison: Nagito himself.

That wouldn't fly in a normal trial, but this bullshit Monobear trial system is built on flimsy technicalities. Live by the technicality, die by the technicality.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Who What Now posted:

Ok, good for you. This isn't happening in a regular court, tho, so everything after this is worthless for this LP.

Like, you can't argue that monokuma's rule are horseshit to monokuma.

Try reading past that point, and you might learn a little thing called context. That will help you understand the thing I am actually saying, so you can reply to that instead of what you are imagining I am saying.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 23, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I never found Chiaki interesting at all. She just seemed like Kirigiri with narcolepsy and a gaming hobby, and was otherwise completely dull. I guess that was perhaps the intention, to not draw attention. Since I guess she's just a program in this apparent VR simulation and isn't even going to say anything interesting anyway, meh.

mateo360 posted:

This case is what really makes me hate this game in the series. As Stabby and several other people were talking about before, Nagito was the mastermind. He filled grenade, he set up the spear, He planned everything. Chiaki was not the mastermind in the case and it is bullshit that she had to take the punishment. The fact that Monokuma breaks his own rules make me hate everything past this point in the game because then there is now nothing that guarantees that Monokuma will play fairly.

I've been staying quiet the past few days, but I'd just like to make a small correction. I agree that the rules Monobear set up where any death is a murder, even suicide are kinda bullshit rules. But those rules have been consistent and Monobear did not break them.

FPzero posted:

Would you, in this case, also say Nagito was the mastermind behind Trial 1 even if he didn't actually commit the murder? If so, that's essentially what happened here too. Nagito set up the whole murder, but someone else carried out the final blow.

The difference between Teruteru and Chiaki is that Teruteru had the intent to kill. Chiaki did not.

My argument to blame Nagito for his own death by breathing was a weasel, bullshit argument, but since Monobear's rules for what is considered a murder are also bullshit, I would have liked to see the students at least make an attempt to try and use technical bullshit to their advantage. In this case, Monobear's exact words.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlackPersona posted:

What is going on :stare:

Something which has been foreshadowed really blatantly since literally the first update, I'm guessing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmmm... yeah, the simulation thing seems like a near certainty at this point.

It's not like the game's been trying to hide it very well. "They're in a simulation" seemed to be a likely answer from the first moments of the game.

Of course, even if it is a simulation, I'm assuming that "Matrix rules" are in place, and those who get killed inside are killed for real (whether automatically, or manually by the people running the simulation).

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trivia (spoiler tagged since I'm not sure if it counts. I can remove it.):

Hiyoko was originally meant to survive chapter 3. The developers decided to make new plans for the original second victim, and hastily swapped Hiyoko in instead. Hence why her murder investigation was pretty rushed; the group didn't even bother investigating her murder weapon.

Would have been interesting to see her reaction here had she survived like she'd meant to.

Lots of things about Case 3 were rushed and lacked explanation. In this case, she was probably killed with a scalpel taken from the hospital, which was hidden in the same place as all the other missing evidence. Missing evidence which was never found either, despite some of it being large and difficult to hide. It's not the over-the-top stuff which bothers me as much as it is getting the mundane stuff wrong, like killers accomplishing things in a completely implausible time-span.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

timp posted:

Okay, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark at some of this.

I'm guessing that the students in this game are the Remnants of Despair. They were currently really lovely and the Future Foundation wanted them dead, but Naegi, being all Ultimate Hope-like, decides to run them through this virtual simulation and prove to people that they could improve as people, thus instilling worldwide hope? But then Monokuma comes in and fucks everything up, and DR2 starts. Or was the killing game part of Naegi's plan?

Still a lot of things I don't understand, like how Nagito w/ Junko's hand plays into things, or who was on the boat with him, or all the portraits of the founder of Hope's Peak...

That sounds about right. I remember thinking back in oren's original LP, sometime in the second chapter that a great number of these students seemed to be lovely people or psychologically disturbed, and that was before Mikan got her memories back and revealed herself to be a nut. So this reveal doesn't surprise me very much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Not sure the point of this argument, but Fuyuhiko should have noticed a difference because he knew Peko beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
"You've completed all of Girl X's free time events: You've been awarded the prize: Her panties!"

:cripes: Friggin' Japaaan.

(I only had time to watch one set so I don't know if it's like that for everyone, or just some of them, or only one.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 30, 2018

• Locked thread