Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I think he eventually drew them away with the music, like they were intending. When Simon 'ambushed' Maggie (which, by they way...why wouldn't they put up a fight when they saw the cars coming up behind them? They had to know what was coming and they were all armed!) he pointed out the music you could hear playing faintly in the background was them leading the hoard away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snorkzilla posted:

Why is Rick always soaking wet?

I feel like the producer sprays him with a firehose, like you do when you spritz a cat with a spray bottle to get them to stop doing something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kelly posted:

I think he eventually drew them away with the music, like they were intending. When Simon 'ambushed' Maggie (which, by they way...why wouldn't they put up a fight when they saw the cars coming up behind them? They had to know what was coming and they were all armed!) he pointed out the music you could hear playing faintly in the background was them leading the hoard away.

moist turtleneck posted:

He had the idea to shoot the zombies and make more ammo

Also I guess he made more soldiers?

huh, okay.

yeah I didn't understand why they didn't just bolt out of their cars into the, you know, pitch black forest surrounding them. but then again after about 30 seconds of that scene i really just zoned out. Steven Ogg is probably the best actor on the show but gently caress that was so contrived, pointless and just plain boring. the episode just turned in to a slightly more chopped up version of... previous episodes we'd seen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CrazyLoon posted:

I kinda feel like that's the danger of any one designated 'hero who will stay for the duration of the show'. On a long enough timeline the writers get lazy/slip up and the character's plot armor becomes so bloody apparent, that it just hurts. I was honestly hoping and cheering for Jon to actually frikking stay dead at the end of S5, but eh...here we are I guess with boatsex. At this point I'm honestly sorta glad there's just gonna be S8 and that's confirmed gonna be the end.

If Snow had died then his entire arc would have been pointless.
It makes much more sense in the books since Martin can actually write and there's nuance to it though.

Carl dying doesn't actually advance the story and feels like them doing something to move it along in people's minds without actually doing anything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Carl dying is his final "gently caress You, Dad" to make Rick realize they all need to live in peace and harmony and there's just as much need for saviour jerks as there is for farmers in the apocalypse

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

huh, okay.

yeah I didn't understand why they didn't just bolt out of their cars into the, you know, pitch black forest surrounding them. but then again after about 30 seconds of that scene i really just zoned out. Steven Ogg is probably the best actor on the show but gently caress that was so contrived, pointless and just plain boring. the episode just turned in to a slightly more chopped up version of... previous episodes we'd seen.

Yeah - I mean, at this point in the show's world when you see people pulling up on you in a caravan IN THE DARK why wouldn't you run for cover?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"Hey dad, remember that feral guy you told me to stay away from? well I helped him and got bit doing it, I hope you can learn from this."

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tortuga posted:

"Hey dad, remember that feral guy you told me to stay away from? well I helped him and got bit doing it, I hope you can learn from this."

Yeah, don't do it with a feral guy

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In some ways. The tiger's death was more significant.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I haven't seen the lastest episode (I know) but can anyone tell me in a non spoiler way why the imdb rating when from 9 to 6.2? That's a pretty big drop

I'm watching now I'm just impatient

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I haven't seen the lastest episode (I know) but can anyone tell me in a non spoiler way why the imdb rating when from 9 to 6.2? That's a pretty big drop

The episode is poo poo

hth

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

It's bad op

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

It suddenly started dawning on everyone how this show has been poo poo for a good while

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Seriously, like holy poo poo it's impressive just how thoroughly they've wrecked their show with bad decision after bad decision. It seems like the latest bad decision was the eventual tipping point we all knew had to be coming someday. Just wait till you get to it, you'll see.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The next Talking Dead will be a shitshow too as Chandler has to act like he's not totally pissed off and bitter and that he hasn't known about this for months now, and we have to listen to Hardwick emoting about HOW HORRIBLE AND EMOTIONAL THIS IS FOR ALL OF US.

Not to mention a 3 minute long and maudlin "In Memorium."

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'm sure somewhere, someone is tallying the number of Saviors who have died in the past couple of seasons. It seems like it's a pretty high number, but there also seems to be an unlimited number of them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm sure somewhere, someone is tallying the number of Saviors who have died in the past couple of seasons. It seems like it's a pretty high number, but there also seems to be an unlimited number of them.

The answer is "however many the story needs".

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Taear posted:

The answer is "however many the story needs".

Weren't they down to like 5 total when they were meeting, just before Negan returned?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Hasselblad posted:

Weren't they down to like 5 total when they were meeting, just before Negan returned?

The heads of the 4 satellite stations returned to HQ, basically alone. Then all 4 bases were destroyed. Pretty much everyone killed except for one base where they captured 38 people.

The Sanctuary had enough soldiers in it to launch surprise attack/inspections of Alexandria, Hilltop, and Kingdom, but simultaneously did not "have the numbers" to quash a rebellion from the workers.

It's so drat lazy, and actually pretty insulting to put out a story with this many gaping plot holes and act like people will eat it up.

Indra
Nov 25, 2005
Where are my pants?
Not enough bullets to kill the walkers surrounding your base, but pleeeeenty of loving grenades to light houses on fire....

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Snorkzilla posted:

Why is Rick always soaking wet?

Acting

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I still feel like a "newer" fan. I binged the show around when S6 started and caught up during the Wolves' attack. I liked both parts of S6 but since then the show has clearly dropped in quality.

Now having Carl get bit is just so bad and dumb. He was the hope and future for the characters and for the narrative. I could admire his death if the show supported it, but it just feels hollow and gutless. Of course I will watch the back half of S8 but I am entirely faithless in the showrunners' ability to right this ship.

As the show has been getting increasingly muddled, more and more I've been considering S6E09--No Way Out--as the series finale. That episode was one of the best and it's a fine and fitting end to the story. Everything after I interpret as a sort of One Imagined Outcome...

The last couple dozen episodes are very sad in a Oh What Could Have Been way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ProperCoochie posted:

As the show has been getting increasingly muddled, more and more I've been considering S6E09--No Way Out--as the series finale. That episode was one of the best and it's a fine and fitting end to the story. Everything after I interpret as a sort of One Imagined Outcome...
I just looked this episode up again and yep, I'd agree with you. That was a pretty good ep with Rick hacking off Jessie's hand and Carl's eye getting shot off. Even the ending like you said could be an optimistic one where they hope for the future.

I think the biggest problem with the show (and comics) was that they settled in Alexandria and didn't have an end goal besides "survive." We as the viewers/readers have no idea where the ending should be because the plot is just "see the characters live each day" instead of "find a cure" or "find the rest of Earth's survivors" or something like that.

Preacher at least had "find God" and Y: The Last Man had a mystery behind it that had to be resolved. Game of Thrones has the whole power struggle and White Walker invasion thing set out since the beginning.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 14, 2017

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Look, just give the reigns to me. I’ve got all the plans and ideas to turn this ship around.

The next episode is all of them getting the taco shits after a bad batch of weetabix, and they are all writhing in agony trying to hold it in, and then rick finds an old storage locker full of the walking dead comics.

”Here, use these!” Rick exclaims and they all run into the woods to take a dump and wipe their asses on the comics. This scene has the synth music from the car ”chase” scene from earlier.

Our show moves on to Negan who is having a one on one meeting with Archibald, their latest recruit. ”Dayum, Archie... You are a real. Son. Of. A. Bitchhh... I like your style!” *smug Sonic grin* Negan then leans backwards with his head going through a window and as he tries to lean back up he is stabbed in the neck by a shard of glass.

”Heh, just as I planned.” Archibald utters, adjusting his sunglasses anime style. ”Looks like your the boss now.”

Eugene emerges from the shadows, and moves in to inspect the corpse. Seemingly satisfied by this turn of events Eugene looks back at Archibald and says ”Get Garfunkel on the horn. We’ve got work to do.”

Back at the storage locker the gang lets out a collective sigh of relief and wipe their brows. ”Dodged a bullet there...” Carol mutter to herself. Rick is covered in sweat. ”It ain’t over ’til it’s over.”

Suddenly a voice echoes from the woods: ”What’s the haps, paps?”

”Coral!”

Coral saunters out from the bushes. ”Coarl! You should be dead, I know you should! What gives?”

”I used a magic marker to do all that poo poo. I just wanted Enid-san to suck my dick, and I knew she could not refuse if she thought I wuz a goner.”

”Corral, you fucker! You sonnuva bieatch!”

*commercial break*

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I still think the last episode should be everyone is dead or gone, years have passed, a door opens in a mountainside somewhere and a bunch of people come out, do some tests and conclude that it is safe to remove their helmets.

"It worked. They're all dead, we're all immune, let's start again."

That would be a halfway decent premise for a completely new series. A civilisation that was only able to exist because they engineered the apocalypse of the previous one, and have to still deal with the guilty remnants of their actions while trying to re-build a human society that is different from the one they destroyed. Which parts of society will come back the same vs which parts can we re-invent to be something better...?

What is "better"? Who gets to decide? Should "living in a civilisation" be people's goal or should people resist that? Live on their own? Make their own rules? What happens when that breaks down? Will all the old concepts come back again, like nation states? Tribal identity? Barter Economy? Feudalism? etc etc.

These writers are utterly incapable of delivering anything like that, which is cool. I accept that. But who is then? When are we going to get a proper, quality, post-apocalyptic show, that examines everything about an apocalypse that the Walking Dead has glossed over because it's the teen-fanfic version of this thing?

Game of Thrones was to Lord of the Rings what this imaginary show I'm thinking of is to The Walking Dead. It's coming, and we're going to love it when it arrives, but I don't know what it is yet and I'm unable to conceptualise it yet without indulging in my own fantasy. But someone, somewhere, has been inspired by the Walking Dead and is (I hope) concocting a post-apocalyptic series that is actually good.

loving Bring It.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
poo poo, I forgot to give my thoughts on the finale;

Lol

Scott Gimple is a fraud

Show is way past its sell by date

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Haha yeah pree much.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cactus posted:

I still think the last episode should be everyone is dead or gone, years have passed, a door opens in a mountainside somewhere and a bunch of people come out, do some tests and conclude that it is safe to remove their helmets.

"It worked. They're all dead, we're all immune, let's start again."

That would be a halfway decent premise for a completely new series. A civilisation that was only able to exist because they engineered the apocalypse of the previous one, and have to still deal with the guilty remnants of their actions while trying to re-build a human society that is different from the one they destroyed. Which parts of society will come back the same vs which parts can we re-invent to be something better...?

What is "better"? Who gets to decide? Should "living in a civilisation" be people's goal or should people resist that? Live on their own? Make their own rules? What happens when that breaks down? Will all the old concepts come back again, like nation states? Tribal identity? Barter Economy? Feudalism? etc etc.

These writers are utterly incapable of delivering anything like that, which is cool. I accept that. But who is then? When are we going to get a proper, quality, post-apocalyptic show, that examines everything about an apocalypse that the Walking Dead has glossed over because it's the teen-fanfic version of this thing?

Game of Thrones was to Lord of the Rings what this imaginary show I'm thinking of is to The Walking Dead. It's coming, and we're going to love it when it arrives, but I don't know what it is yet and I'm unable to conceptualise it yet without indulging in my own fantasy. But someone, somewhere, has been inspired by the Walking Dead and is (I hope) concocting a post-apocalyptic series that is actually good.

loving Bring It.

Having a show do such an about face on it's entire premise is rare though, and only a handful have tried. For all it's faults (and inferiority to the should-not-have-been-cancelled-in-it's-place Sarah Connor Chronicles), Dollhouse is one of those.

Can't see Gimple and Kirkman having the balls.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I was speculating on the idea that there's an entirely new show being written right now that none of us even know is about to exist yet, not the ability of the Walking Dead to become the show I described (lol@that thought)

Cactus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 15, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So if Samuel L Jackson in Kingsmen won?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

We still don't know anything about the helicopter. I'm guessing it's the Canadian army.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Astroman posted:

Having a show do such an about face on it's entire premise is rare though, and only a handful have tried. For all it's faults (and inferiority to the should-not-have-been-cancelled-in-it's-place Sarah Connor Chronicles), Dollhouse is one of those.

Can't see Gimple and Kirkman having the balls.

Didn't Dollhouse do that about face because they knew it was gonna be cancelled? So instead of doing another Firefly again they opted to rush to the ending? I really liked Dollhouse, but it's been so long now that i can't really remember.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I think the biggest problem with the show (and comics) was that they settled in Alexandria and didn't have an end goal besides "survive." We as the viewers/readers have no idea where the ending should be because the plot is just "see the characters live each day" instead of "find a cure" or "find the rest of Earth's survivors" or something like that.

I see it like MadMen. That didn't have a thing it was building towards, it was just "Here's Don's live as an adman".
Well here's Rick's life as a zombieman.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Out of a whole bad season I legit could not follow a thing that was happening in this ep. This one took the cake.
What did the trashfolk even do? How did Maggie get back to Hilltop? What was with the random Morgan shots?

Steven Ogg and Sad Saviour Leader steal the show and Negan remains decent. I was in my heart rooting for him to just beat Rick to death. I’ve never seen a show that made me hate the protagonists so so much. The Saviours legit seem like the good guys in the narrative. They’re the Lucius Sulla to Rick’s Caligula. The Stalin to Rick’s Hitler.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

The Saviors didn't even start this whole thing with Rick...they murdered all the people in the their sleep at the outpost, at the behest of Gregory. Now, that isn't to say that Negan and Co. weren't going to find them eventually, after all Daryl and Abe did blow a bunch of them up, but uh...the show did a bad job as painting the Saviors are the 'bad guys' prior to all this. Rick murdered a dozen of their guys...Negan killed two of his. I'd say Rick made out in that deal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kelly posted:

The Saviors didn't even start this whole thing with Rick...they murdered all the people in the their sleep at the outpost, at the behest of Gregory. Now, that isn't to say that Negan and Co. weren't going to find them eventually, after all Daryl and Abe did blow a bunch of them up, but uh...the show did a bad job as painting the Saviors are the 'bad guys' prior to all this. Rick murdered a dozen of their guys...Negan killed two of his. I'd say Rick made out in that deal.

Holy poo poo I forgot that’s how it happened

Any pre-apocalypse country on earth would call that an Alexandrian act of war

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Great, so now we have trash people and sewer people.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Steven Ogg and Sad Saviour Leader steal the show and Negan remains decent. I was in my heart rooting for him to just beat Rick to death. I’ve never seen a show that made me hate the protagonists so so much. The Saviours legit seem like the good guys in the narrative. They’re the Lucius Sulla to Rick’s Caligula. The Stalin to Rick’s Hitler.

let's not go crazy here, the saviors are a cult of personality built around torturing people with fire, sexual assault (the harem is forced sex whether its presented that way or not), outright extortion of vital supplies, killing teenagers and other people at random as part of said extortion, indentured servitude, psychological torture, brainwashing. like don't get me wrong rick is a poo poo dictator basically and so is his ragtag group of fuckups but, like, this isn't really ambiguous.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Princeps32 posted:

let's not go crazy here, the saviors are a cult of personality built around torturing people with fire, sexual assault (the harem is forced sex whether its presented that way or not), outright extortion of vital supplies, killing teenagers and other people at random as part of said extortion, indentured servitude, psychological torture, brainwashing. like don't get me wrong rick is a poo poo dictator basically and so is his ragtag group of fuckups but, like, this isn't really ambiguous.

I think it says a lot that the shows presentation makes the line FAR murkier than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I quit watching this a few weeks ago did anything new happen or are they still going over each characters viewpoint of the attack on the saviors compound?