Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think somebody in steam community made a map of all the stations.

The game even includes a map. The station map all the locations of the service areas, shops, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

algebra testes posted:

Anyone here gently caress with Run 8?

I've gotten extremely down the railfan (and freight hopping) youtube wormhole and was looking at grabbing the A Line for it.

I have spent far too much time during COVID in my single player run8 world. I haven’t dabbled online yet, mostly because most of the train sim communities are full of chuds and other awful people.

I highly recommend run8 it is janky but holy cow it rules.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you have VR and love simulators Derail Valley owns owns owns. It’s probably still decent without VR but I can’t imagine it hits quite the same. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than dropping the track layout book in its appointed slot with VR hands.

This right here. It is almost what I want, but really hits the mark for trains in VR. I can’t wait for the simulation update in the fall.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Are any of you playing Railroads! Online?

It is really early access jank right now but is basically openttd mixed with derail valley with multiplayer.

I would host a server if folks are interested.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696810/RAILROADS_Online/

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

It is super buggy. They have been patching stuff every day though. The price tag is a bit high for what it is right now, but it has fully captured me.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

If the logistics side of Derail Valley are your thing. Run8 is that on a much much much larger scale, the interface is a bit janky but the simulation of all the industries and cars is worth it. You can run mainline trains, sort cars in a yard, run locals all in real time on a 1:1 scale version of Southern California, all in single player or with others online.

That said I want Derail Valley and Railroads Online to merge. I really like RO's approach of having you lay your own track, instead of just operate.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

PerniciousKnid posted:

I like laying track in Transport Fever but doing it in first person sounds like hell. Are RO industries spaced as far as Derail Valley's?

About half the size. With 3 people we connected all the industries in about a week of playing. The mapping tool said it was 30km of track.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

LeFishy posted:

I've been sitting on the fence for run8 (http://run8studios.com/) for a long old time now, but assumed it was abandonware every time I've been in a position to buy it. Now it's had a big update I'm back up on that fence but there are a few red flags stopping me from grabbing it.

Mostly it's a the price to be honest. Does anyone here have experience with the sim? It seems to have a very hardcore fanbase who think it's the best thing since ... MSTS I guess? I just want to drive trains around. I love Derail Valley but really dislike the uuhhhh rigidity of the scenarios in games like TSW and TS...22? Where mistepping will sometimes just fail you straight out of the game back into the menus.

I just want to drive trains!

I have had run8 since it came out, and I love it. That said, I would wait on v3 a few days. The devs are stuck in 2001 when it comes to e commerce tech and file distribution. They are having issues with their DRM and downloads are causing lots of problems. That said v3 is bitchin and I wish more goons would buy the sim, it is incredible.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

algebra testes posted:

I have done it I have committed to the Run8 rabbit hole.

No regrets.

Yesssssss let me know if you need help. I have had run8 for years now, but I just play 1 player. The popular servers are far too CHUDy.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

So I have been playing a bit of SimRail. It is OK in its current state, the driving isn't amazing, but the sim has good bones. It is like if Run8 had a budget, that said I still think Run8's multiplayer is a bit more fleshed out. I really like the dispatch aspect of SimRail. Especially how the sim has you physically man a station where Run8 you have a bunch of screens in the sim itself to dispatch.

I don't like that SimRail is still scenario based even on multiplayer. I would prefer a big sandbox where cars have destinations and persistence like Run8. If you are a train person I would totally pick Sim Rail up, it already is better than any of the crap Dovetail shits out.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Mokotow posted:

I vaguely remember reading a few years ago about a rail shunting yard simulator that also had multiplayer elements (you could send trains out to other people’s yards). I think the whole thing was freeware, verging in a hobbyist project. Anyone remember that?

Other than derail valley, are there any other shunting yard management games or sims? Not looking for singling sims, mind, I wanna shunt!

https://youtu.be/e0CUtE5-kKQ

As stated above run8 has all of this. It is a train sandbox, it has full central dispatching with signals and working hump yards too.

The main downside is you have to make your own fun and the learning curve is a bit steep.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I recommend getting as much of California as you can. The A line is decent too.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I really like switching and terminal railroad stuff so I spend most of my time in San Bernadino. The amount of industries in that DLC is staggering.

Would ya'll be into a casual run8 MP session at some point?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

The nice thing is if we do multiplayer you don't need all of the DLC to participate as long as the server has all of it.

So you will just see trains and cars spawn in the areas you have access too. The trains moving to the DLC will just despawn at the end of your map, while others who have the DLC can continue on.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Same as single player. Cars have destination tags, each industry and yard on the map has a tag, or you route the train off map.
It really depends on how you configure your map, but

New cars come in the map by spawning AI trains. Usually the flow is:
AI spawned train, has cars tagged for a yard, local train, and final destination. You ether let the AI run the train to the yard (you dispatch or attempt to let the dumb AI distpatcher route the train). Then in the yard you sort the train based on locals that are define in the save's config. This can be pushing the train over the hump or sorting cars on a flat yard. Once you assemble the locals or sort cars for yards further along you then send out those trains. Each train can be run by AI or humans. The AI is dumb though it will follow green lights until it can't anymore, so local's are best run by humans.

Once cars are delivered to the industries (basically tracks that are tagged the same). A timer starts, usually 24h, once the timer is done the car is empty or full with new destinations.

On my single player service I take those cars back to the yard that is served by the local that dropped them off then sort the cars to other trains based on the tags.

You can do everything in singleplayer or multiplayer. Multiplayer just makes life a bit easier, you can muticrew or run your own train, or just dispatch.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Squiggle posted:

And those processing timers are totally customizable in-game, in the Industry Settings or whatever - you can bump them down to an hour or something if you want.

....a 'local' is a train that moves cars around a single sub, right? Or like, the train that takes the cars to their destination rather than another yard for further sorting? The train I moved from Barstow to San Bernardino crossed subdivisions, but was still coded as an L.

A local is from the yard to customer usually.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Squiggle posted:

If I have one suggestion for Run 8, it's go to http://www.run8guides.com/ and make the changes they suggest to the Suggested Keyboard Binds. Some of their default bindings are psychotic.

If I have two suggestions, it's also putting the Alerter on Numberpad Enter instead of Right Alt. Then you can pretty much keep one hand on the Numpad and hit everything you need easily.

EDIT: if three, I'd register for the Depot forums and download this guy's busy world file. Copy in the Depot's Industry files, and you've got a ton of consists and trains and loose cars scattered all over in a realistic way that you can hop into and shuttle around.

Understanding the industry stuff will take some Youtubin'. I sorta get it now, at least enough to take a small local train out of Barstow in that world down to the Cajon Sub to drop off the cars that were attached. The depot's maps are a must to figure out where the industries are set up, without an in-game map.

This is the way.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Squiggle posted:

An apologetic note: I forget if it's one of these videos, but something I've watched related to Run 8 recently had some pretty chuddy commentary in it about the Washington football team. I'm sorry if it's one of these. You'll be surprised to learn that the train sim community has some stupid old men in it.

So many chuds in train sims. I stopped playing on the popular run8 servers because of it.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Oh I know. I ran the goon group on VATSIM 10 years ago.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I love stormworks, but I agree wait a bit for the devs to patch some of the issues introduced from the space dlc. It is definitely a make your own fun kind of game. It is also “scope creep” the game, and should be used as a case study in game dev.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I have been playing Derail Valley since the VR demo. I want derail valley with more realistic operations, basically updated run8. I really don’t like the map, it makes operations a bit too easy.

Recently I have been playing a lot of Railroader, which is more of a sim of the operations side of running a railroad, than driving trains. It sort of adds an economy to what run8’s logistic sim is.

The best “model railroad” game I have found is maybe Railroads Online where you have to lay the track you will be running on. That game is less about the physics of driving and more about the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Rolling line is cool, but the vr has issues. It is very much an early VR game with all of the rough edges.