Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The taxi and ambulance missions in GTA games kind of fit, but are probably not what you're looking for...

Also tips for succeeding at first in DV:

Go slow and safe. The time bonus is nice, but you will still earn the face value of the job posting even if you take five hours completing it. As long as you're going the right direction on an incline you don't need to be going any faster, but also if you can't climb a hill with the traction you have, don't burn it out. Moving a long consist one or two cars at a time is valid.

You can fast travel with the world map. Take out the map, press Alt once to enable mouse cursor mode, then click the dot for a station to fast travel there.
Fast traveling somewhere can be a good option if where you are just doesn't have any good jobs you can do with your current licenses.

Get the shunting jobs license early. The DE2 is great for yard work, and shunting jobs can still earn you some good pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I can't stop playing Derail Valley. Even though I haven't successfully finished a mission - I'm bad at trains.

Are there any other sims out there with a similar career/job/mission/whatever aspect? I know there's American/Euro Truck Sim, but is there anything else?

Snowrunner is solid. As mentioned MSFS can be beat into a shape resembling a career sim with some extra software, but it’s not super elegant. The bus sim games have a career/company, though they’re not quite as polished as other sim games.

Other reccs depend heavily on what you’re looking for, because you could argue for a lot of weird niche sims fitting your description (my summer car, landlords super, etc.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Honestly the nichier and the simmier the better.

I've been looking for a reason to reinstall MSFS and Snow runner so that might work just fine.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

nielsm posted:

Go slow and safe. The time bonus is nice, but you will still earn the face value of the job posting even if you take five hours completing it. As long as you're going the right direction on an incline you don't need to be going any faster, but also if you can't climb a hill with the traction you have, don't burn it out. Moving a long consist one or two cars at a time is valid.

The time bonus is super generous now. Pre-simulator you had to pre stage everything before accepting a job and then drive like Casey Jones (Grateful Dead version) and even then sometimes it wasn't enough. Now you have enough time to accept the job and then go couple up, and you can drive pretty cautiously and still have lots of time to spare.

Something to watch if you're crashing a lot: The speed limit signs sometimes have green up or red down arrows under them. This means the next speed limit will be at least 20kmh higher (up arrow) or, more importantly, lower (down arrow). If you're riding the limit and pass a sign with the down arrow, go ahead and slow down by 20 so you don't get taken by surprise at the next limit sign.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm going to try and install the HUD mod. It was really useful on the old version, but by the time I found it simulator was coming and I was gonna save playtime for when that happened. It'll tell you the speed limit on a given track and the ones ahead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Theris posted:

Something to watch if you're crashing a lot: The speed limit signs sometimes have green up or red down arrows under them. This means the next speed limit will be at least 20kmh higher (up arrow) or, more importantly, lower (down arrow). If you're riding the limit and pass a sign with the down arrow, go ahead and slow down by 20 so you don't get taken by surprise at the next limit sign.

Ohhhh, I thought that was some sort of elevation indicator. Doh. That's a great tip, thanks.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I just figured out that the lantern in Derail Valley has multiple brightness settings and it can actually go higher than "make the train cabin look like Silent Hill"

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^^^ but "make the cab look like silent hill" is what the lantern is for

Count Thrashula posted:

Ohhhh, I thought that was some sort of elevation indicator. Doh. That's a great tip, thanks.

There are also elevation indicators, but they're slanted lines with a +/- and number (percentage of the grade) on them, or a horizontal line with no number to indicate no or very slight grade. Triangle with no number is upcoming limit.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 6, 2023

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The DM3 is cool as hell, I love how busy it is.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Theris posted:

^^^ but "make the cab look like silent hill" is what the lantern is for

There are also elevation indicators, but they're slanted lines with a +/- and number (percentage of the grade) on them, or a horizontal line with no number to indicate no or very slight grade. Triangle with no number is upcoming limit.

There's 2 different arrow sets.
you have the Green "up" arrow is next speed limit is up, the red "Down" Is the speed limit going down
Then you have the +/- grade.. White over Blue is flat others Yellow over blue is UP, Red over Blue is Donw.. but you can also tell by the +/- in the number.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So I'm thinking about playing nucleares again, played it for a couple days week before last and learned a lot, but I couldn't figure out how everything worked in the various loops and I'm wondering if anyone understands it. I asked these questions on discord and the answers were really vague? Someone asked for my save file and then gave me a bunch of settings that would optimize my loop but wouldn't answer any questions about how anything works, and I don't think they know.

* My understanding is that the speed of the core loop transfers heat from the core to the steam generator, which cools down the core (can be countered by pulling the control rod more) and increases heat in the condenser loop. Higher heat in the condenser loop increases pressure and power generated from the turbines, and also increases temperature of the condenser, which potentially slows down the loop by making steam take longer to turn into water.
* Increasing the speed of the condenser coolant loop moves water in and out of the condenser faster and basically just reduces the heat of the condenser with no other direct impact.
* Increasing the speed of the condenser loop moves stuff around from the steam generator -> turbine -> condenser faster, which has ??? effect ???

Why is there a level indicator for both the condenser and the condenser loop. Is one water and one steam? Which one is which? Why am I losing water from my condenser loop when my condenser is under 100C? I thought the way it worked was that it'd exhaust steam it couldn't condense, but if the condenser is like 22C it seems like it should be able to condense all the steam. None of my gauges are high. I think it stopped when I brought the condenser loop (not condenser) temp under 200C, but that's not even in the yellow so what the hell? Does it also exhaust if the steam generator's temp is too high (i.e. I'm not moving heat from the generator to the condenser fast enough?) I assume I increase the power generation by increasing pressure in the condenser loop, is that right? If I don't want the temp to get "too high", do I just need to pour water in, or does that at some point lower pressure because there's too much water to have much steam?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've decided based on my experiences and posts like these, here and on the Discord, Nucleares is My First Process Affinities hidden behind a bad UI.

There's 2 closed loops (optimistically for some people) and 1 open loop connected in sequence: core, condenser, condenser cooling in game parlance (UI strike 1, bad parlance in these names).

Core is a closed single phase loop (optimism here is single phase). Changing pump speed simply increases thermal flux through the reactor into the steam generator. Fill it up and select pump speeds matching reactor heat generation. Mismatches usually result in your pressurizer level getting jacked around before any other major issue.

Condenser is closed two phase loop (optimism here is closed). There's some affinities to keep in mind:
Higher level in a heat exchanger increases heat flux
Higher flow in a heat exchanger increases heat flux
Arbitrarily increasing flow will draw down a storage and if everything else isn't already broken and lodged up, will increase mass fraction in the vapor phase.

The condenser loop reservoir is the condenser heat exchanger. The steam generator is a heat exchanger.
So to get the most energy going to the turbines, you want a high flow without flooding the exchanger. Here's the trick though. As you increase flow from a previously steady state, you rob level from the condenser. Basically as your pressure increases, you can expect to lose overall level in the steam generator and the condenser because your water mass fraction is going into the vapor phase of the loop. This is different than venting. Min maxing this loop for different levels of generation included min maxing liquid water by adding and draining as appropriate to keep a high level in the steam generator and a safe level in the condenser.

Condenser cooling loop is open single phase loop and most boring. The goal is just to ride the line inside the condenser to not vent. You don't want to cool it too much as that's dead heat that needs reheated in the steam gen.

This is all first principal stuff and I feel like I also miss something with how the turbines respond. It feels like steam just blows through considering how quickly the condenser cooling is defeated when just barely getting into green pressure in the turbines.

But anyway tldr if your condenser and steam gen levels are going down with condenser temp < 100C it's just going to vapor fraction, you should fill up till everything starts leveling out. There's not 2 condenser levels, there's steam gen levels (this is condenser loop liquid level in steam gen) and condense cooler level (this is condenser loop liquid level in condenser cooler)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Why the hell can't any train sims use my HOTAS 😤

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've seen someone make macros for their hotas for dv, but apparently it's also getting proper controller support soon now that simulator is out

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

zedprime posted:

As you increase flow from a previously steady state, you rob level from the condenser. Basically as your pressure increases, you can expect to lose overall level in the steam generator and the condenser because your water mass fraction is going into the vapor phase of the loop. This is different than venting.

OK But I was running with the condenser loop load on full time and level was steady so that seems like venting to me.

quote:

But anyway tldr if your condenser and steam gen levels are going down with condenser temp < 100C it's just going to vapor fraction, you should fill up till everything starts leveling out. There's not 2 condenser levels, there's steam gen levels (this is condenser loop liquid level in steam gen) and condense cooler level (this is condenser loop liquid level in condenser cooler)

If they're unrelated then why does adjusting the condenser flow speed affect the condenser level? I'd expect it to only affect the steam gen level in that case.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

30.5 Days posted:

OK But I was running with the condenser loop load on full time and level was steady so that seems like venting to me.

If they're unrelated then why does adjusting the condenser flow speed affect the condenser level? I'd expect it to only affect the steam gen level in that case.
Let's say you increase condenser pump flow speed. This is the speed that liquid water is moved from condenser heat exchanger to steam generator heat exchanger.

Immediate transient effect is level goes down in condenser and up in steam generator
Medium transient effect is level then goes down in steam generator too because higher level = more heat transfer, with pressure raising in steam gen and turbine
Last transient effect and arrival to steady state is when the spent steam from the turbine condenses and returns some (but not all) level to condenser

The transience will iterate a few times in a solution like this game so steady state can be elusive and you can see some cyclic activity with levels and temperature.

Because the pressure is higher in the turbine loop, there's less mass of liquid water, and your levels have gone down in both condenser.

If you are losing level in the loop, check if you are gaining pressure or temp on the steam generator and turbine readouts. Temp is related to pressure, so your example where you got your level back by cooling the loop overall tracks with the liquid going to vapor fraction.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ok that makes sense, thank you

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Even on my bunk-rear end laptop, Derail Valley is very nice to look at.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wish they'd clean up the track a bit. There's a lot of spots where trees are growing into the cab etc.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I was afraid to drive over that grassy bit in the beginning, because I thought the locomotive would derail.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What is a "normal" amount of drivetrain damage in the DM3? I drive it without over revving or over heating and it gets 10 to 12% damage every time. I've only taken the length license so my copay maxes out at $2000 but it seems like an expensive train to operate.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And you make sure to throttle all the way down before shifting, right?
Supposedly the engine brake also causes some damage in use.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah always throttle down. I do use the engine brake, maybe that's it but I never use it to where it's even keeping the RPM in the yellow. I think the old beater is just falling apart all the time.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mechanical drivetrain damage seems overtuned even outside of the DM3. I've hit 15%+ in the DE2 after just a couple shunting jobs with electrical drivetrain damage at 2-3%. I don't even know what you'd do to overstress the mechanical drivetrain in the DE2 outside of running max throttle with the tach pegged, but that never happens while shunting unless you're trying to burn up your traction motors or grind the wheels off.

Edit: now that I think of it, when I noticed that I had been shunting around the harbor, moving stuff between yards D, E and G with a DE2 I grabbed from the power tracks that connect to the branch off to D and G. So, I was always coupling backwards, with the front of the engine facing the train. Could mostly pulling in reverse and shoving with the radiator inlet blocked by the train be causing the diesel to overheat? Does it even simulate that? There's no temp gauge for the diesel, just the traction motors, so there's no way to know for sure.

Theris fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 10, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes if your blocking the rad you can overheat the train a lot quicker especially when your moving a longer distance or faster. At solow speeds / short distance it's not an issue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Despite my better judgement I picked up Run8 and hoo boy this is a whole other level above DV/TSW/TSC

I spent an hour just figuring out how to get in a loco

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Despite my better judgement I picked up Run8 and hoo boy this is a whole other level above DV/TSW/TSC

I spent an hour just figuring out how to get in a loco
At on operations level yeah it’s a completely different beast.

What you’re experiencing there is the sims horrible ui and documentation.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

If I have one suggestion for Run 8, it's go to http://www.run8guides.com/ and make the changes they suggest to the Suggested Keyboard Binds. Some of their default bindings are psychotic.

If I have two suggestions, it's also putting the Alerter on Numberpad Enter instead of Right Alt. Then you can pretty much keep one hand on the Numpad and hit everything you need easily.

EDIT: if three, I'd register for the Depot forums and download this guy's busy world file. Copy in the Depot's Industry files, and you've got a ton of consists and trains and loose cars scattered all over in a realistic way that you can hop into and shuttle around.

Understanding the industry stuff will take some Youtubin'. I sorta get it now, at least enough to take a small local train out of Barstow in that world down to the Cajon Sub to drop off the cars that were attached. The depot's maps are a must to figure out where the industries are set up, without an in-game map.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 10, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oh this is incredible, thanks.

Yeah I got into The Depot and joined their Discord which should help for quick questions here and there. At this point I'm just so befuddled by this sim that I'm determined to figure it out.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Squiggle posted:

If I have one suggestion for Run 8, it's go to http://www.run8guides.com/ and make the changes they suggest to the Suggested Keyboard Binds. Some of their default bindings are psychotic.

If I have two suggestions, it's also putting the Alerter on Numberpad Enter instead of Right Alt. Then you can pretty much keep one hand on the Numpad and hit everything you need easily.

EDIT: if three, I'd register for the Depot forums and download this guy's busy world file. Copy in the Depot's Industry files, and you've got a ton of consists and trains and loose cars scattered all over in a realistic way that you can hop into and shuttle around.

Understanding the industry stuff will take some Youtubin'. I sorta get it now, at least enough to take a small local train out of Barstow in that world down to the Cajon Sub to drop off the cars that were attached. The depot's maps are a must to figure out where the industries are set up, without an in-game map.

This is the way.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I picked up nucleares and it's p good overall imho. I'm not exactly a brain genius process engineer or anything but it's fascinating to play with.

I've accidentally stumbled rear end-first into a stable balance where I'm comfortably making about 600MWh (which seems on the low side given how far the indicators for it can go) but I have multiple pumps running full blast which uh.. isn't ideal, the core inlet temp is consistently high, the steam generator level and pressure are just on the edge of too low, and any attempt to tweak anything causes the whole thing to fall out of balance and stop generating but it seems consistently stable as long as I don't change anything, so I guess I can just run it like this indefinitely (until the pumps poo poo themselves) to accrue Points, or try to figure out how to change things and reload my save when I break it.

Also endlessly entertaining: deliberately causing disasters and then trying to stop them in time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2381620/Steam_Engine_Simulator/

For $0 you can play this simple steam engine simulator. I'm gonna check it out when I get home.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

That was made by the guy who made a super complex engine simulation, uh, engine for his YouTube series. It's pretty fun to mess around with but it does what it says on the tin.

I like that he had to patch it because so many people were asking for a whistle

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is it really even a steam engine if it doesn't have a whistle?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/252530/OMSI_2_Steam_Edition/

I've had this on my wishlist since something like 2014. I'm either going to buy it or remove it. I know graphics aren't everything, but it just looks old now.

Worthwhile?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Some more Run 8 resources!

This Reddit thread is a great "what's something I should actually do?" primer. It helped me understand "some trains carry a shitload of stuff from place to place, some trains reorganize that stuff, and some trains carry that stuff to and from the local businesses."

The first big post mentions a Youtube video of theirs, which is great - his method for building locals. You can I think get pretty far with the thread and this video.

In addition are this what-I've-learned video from not too long ago which is also very helpful (despite him butchering the name "Barstow"), this long part 1-and-2, and this one from V2 that pre-dates AI-run trains and humping that nevertheless all really help to figure out the industry tags, how to work the yards, and things related to that. Some decent other tutorials attached to the last one, too.

EDIT: Oh and for the AI hump yard, this is very helpful!

An apologetic note: I forget if it's one of these videos, but something I've watched related to Run 8 recently had some pretty chuddy commentary in it about the Washington football team. I'm sorry if it's one of these. You'll be surprised to learn that the train sim community has some stupid old men in it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 13, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/252530/OMSI_2_Steam_Edition/

I've had this on my wishlist since something like 2014. I'm either going to buy it or remove it. I know graphics aren't everything, but it just looks old now.

Worthwhile?

I’m gonna say you drop it of your wishlist. The engine is ancient. Get The Bus instead - it has photogrammetry Berlin and is just newer.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mokotow posted:

I’m gonna say you drop it of your wishlist. The engine is ancient. Get The Bus instead - it has photogrammetry Berlin and is just newer.

Das Bus

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Bus The

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Some more Run 8 resources!

This Reddit thread is a great "what's something I should actually do?" primer. It helped me understand "some trains carry a shitload of stuff from place to place, some trains reorganize that stuff, and some trains carry that stuff to and from the local businesses."

The first big post mentions a Youtube video of theirs, which is great - his method for building locals. You can I think get pretty far with the thread and this video.

Hey that’s my Reddit thread! I just really wanted to understand the rail system and the game as one and I think I got a good response. The run8 Reddit community is actually really good and helpful. It feels like everyone just wants more people in the game enjoying it.

I’ll have to see if it runs on my potato laptop at some point because I could really go for some trundling through the desert.

I wonder if it runs on deck and how viable a control setup for that would be. I bet I could work it out.