Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Master System Game?
Other (explain below)
View Results

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hi, I've been thinking about the Master System a lot recently and I want to put this debate down once and for all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I voted

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
WB3 imho.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I prefer WB2.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
alf

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This might cause me to get flamed, however, GAW > LoZ

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kazvall posted:

its the zelda 2 that never was, no shame

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll ask my Maid's nephew op

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The master system Ys game was pretty amazing for the time.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mortal Kombat deserves an honorary mention for having the blood mode

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Mortal Kombat deserves an honorary mention for having the blood mode

also a different system

i liked outrun at the time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

also a different system

there actually is a dogshit mk1 master system port

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only Master System game I've played to completion is Alex Kidd in Shinobi World so Ill have to go with that one OP. It has a really fun slinging mechanic and its short and sweet, and the shinobi parodies are funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Example of the sling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gAjwMu7g&t=146s

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

The only Master System game I've played to completion is Alex Kidd in Shinobi World so Ill have to go with that one OP. It has a really fun slinging mechanic and its short and sweet, and the shinobi parodies are funny.

thats a pretty good one

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
despite all the time i've spent rolling around dingy 80s plastic boxes i dont think i've ever seen a master system irl. maybe one under glass at People Play Games or somethings

elf help book posted:

there actually is a dogshit mk1 master system port

better/worse/same as the game gear port? that's the version i owned... or was it i who was owned..

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Was Crusader of Centy Master System. I forget which Segas are which.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

if you know of a game from it, youre probably thinking of the genesis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

if you know of a game from it, youre probably thinking of the genesis

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've never played these but I like the box art

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Crusader of Centy is to Link to the Past, as Golden Axe Warrior is to Legend of Zelda.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Penguin Land and Fantasy Zone both rule

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Spoderman posted:

Penguin Land and Fantasy Zone both rule
yeah
i was actually just reading about penguin land last night and laughed at this

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/penguinland/penguinland.htm

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wrong three.

Wormskull fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 17, 2016

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Wrong three.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ultima IV is a very good port that's much more faithful to the original than the other console ports & has some improvements from later Ultima games

(Final) Bubble Bobble is a better port than the NES version and they added 100 more levels, a shop system, etc

Ghost House is kinda fun in that black-box-NES way

there's an original SMS Ninja Gaiden that's okay, there's also a Game Gear game that loving sucks

Master of Darkness is ghetto Castlevania

Rambo/Secret Command is a cute Ikari Warriors/Commando-style game

Power Strike 1 & 2 are decent shmups from the same people that made Zanac, MUSHA, Guardian Legend, etc

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Kazvall posted:

This is absolutely correct

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Milkman posted:

despite all the time i've spent rolling around dingy 80s plastic boxes i dont think i've ever seen a master system irl. maybe one under glass at People Play Games or somethings

better/worse/same as the game gear port? that's the version i owned... or was it i who was owned..

My parents got my a master system when I was a kid because it was on clearance/even cost less than a used nintendo. That whole pause button on the console was lame but I do remember liking the way the controller felt more than the standard nintendo remote.

When I was a dumb kid I remember feeling totally ripped off that you spent more time as that stupid looking dragon or a mouse than wonderboy.
Didn't play PS1 until emulators were a thing but loved ps4 as a kid too. I think Wonderboy 3 holds up better than PS1, though I don't know if at the time it was as unique. Like I remember as a kid thinking it was dumb that you kept running through the same levels.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

This is absolutely correct

i just looked it up and i dont think that much of an achivement sinze it came out the same year as link to the past

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

i just looked it up and i dont think that much of an achivement sinze it came out the same year as link to the past

Agreed, it's just interesting that such an incredibly blatant ripoff actually turned out to be really good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have a buttload of master system and genesis games because steam were selling all of them for like 15 cents a pop on the summer sale. Or you could pay 20 times that for one sonic game so I just skipped all the sonic games and bought a bunch of undoubtedbly assy master system JRPGs and shooters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
there's a Brazil-only SMS port of Street Fighter 2 that's way better than you'd expect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7bR7wzBo4

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

there's a Brazil-only SMS port of Street Fighter 2 that's way better than you'd expect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7bR7wzBo4

the graphics are impressive for the system but it looks like complete garbage to play whic his what i expected

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alex Kidd in miracle world.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was a kid I got Paperboy for the Master System as a Christmas present from a relative, but I had a Genesis and didn't have the Power Base Converter so I was never able to play it

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

When I was a kid I got Paperboy for the Master System as a Christmas present from a relative, but I had a Genesis and didn't have the Power Base Converter so I was never able to play it

That's rough.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's phantasy star unless you're going to count arcade ports then it;s probably fantasy zone

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i leaned that japanese ppl asy jankenpon instead of rock paper scissors because they're loving stupid, thanks to alex kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(Final) Bubble Bobble is a better port than the NES version and they added 100 more levels, a shop system, etc

ooo this ousnds cool

• Locked thread