Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

signalnoise posted:

What's the current status of hotel room usage for this stuff? And what if I just want to stream stuff off a laptop

It got support for captive portal access last year. https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-gets-captive-portal-access-for-hotel-dorm-and-apartment-wi-fi-access-hands-on/

It has miracast support but it really isn't really capable of watching video without issue. I guess you could turn on upnp in kodi on your laptop and watch stuff that way. It should work while you're on the road.

signalnoise posted:

or other storage media

It still has restrictions on file size so the file needs to be under 4 GB (unless you split the file http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-play-files-larger-than-4gb-off-the-fire-tvs-fat32-usb-storage-in-kodi/) or root it so you can mount a drive. (Talking about the big Fire TV unless you also want to carry a bunch of adapters for the Fire TV stick)

Spermanent Record posted:

Does anyone know whether the apks will auto update?

It shouldn't since it's sideloaded.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 28, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

So no issues with Kodi on the new stick/box? I am thinking about handing out a couple of the gen2 sticks pre-loaded with "fun" for Christmas. Is there a way you can setup and sideload the apps without a signing into an amazon account or a way to remove said account after? Don't want people accessing my prime account and buying movies and poo poo afterall.

You could always give them an Amazon gift card with a note telling them to buy a Stick and give it to you so you can pimp it out. That way you can also put some legit apps on it without it freaking out about the app not being purchased on their account.

PuTTY riot posted:

What's a good choice for a couple of basic controllers for a fire stick? Mainly for nes/snes emulation.

If you're only doing NES/SNES emulation, any bluetooth controller that works with android should work since you can map the controls. Can't confirm since I don't own one.

I've read good things about the 8bitdo SFC30. http://www.play-asia.com/8bitdo-sfc30-gamepad/13/70a2cb

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's some cool speculation. The addition of user profiles.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-likely-gaining-user-profiles-soon/

thebushcommander posted:

I was mostly just going to sideload a couple things i.e. Kodi and what not, but I seem to recall you need an amazon account to even do the initial setup to get into the main menus to enable unknown apps and debugging. If that's not the case I guess it's no big deal.

Yeah, you need an amazon account for the initial setup. The situation I was talking about is if you pair it to your account, set it up, install legit apps, unpair it and let them pair it to their account. If you install the PBS app from the Amazon Appstore and they don't have it as purchased, it will throw an error when they try to open it (even though it's a free app)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The guy behind aftvnews created an app.

quote:

Last week, I fired up a “how to make your first app” video on YouTube and I made my first app for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. It’s called Downloader and it just got approved into the Fire TV appstore. Downloader’s purpose is to make sideloading apps on the Fire TV as easy as possible. The app simply has a URL field where you enter the URL of any file you want downloaded to your device. After the file has downloaded, it will automatically be installed if it’s an APK file. That’s it.

http://www.aftvnews.com/introducing-downloader-my-first-fire-tv-app-which-makes-sideloading-dead-simple/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0BP507

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Grump posted:

My mom just told me some dude she works with is selling jailbroken Fire TVs for $125.

That's a ripoff right? Or at least sounds sketchy. If I tell her to buy a Fire Stick and jailbreak it myself, it's pretty much the same experience right?

It's total bullshit. If you read the OP, you'll see that you don't have to root the Fire TV to sideload Kodi onto it. I'd bet anything all that guy is doing is sideloading Kodi and pushing an image of a preconfigured Kodi with a bunch of pirate add-ons installed. That takes like 10 minutes of work once you do it once.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wandler20 posted:

Any idea if a new Fire Tv is coming? I'm picking up a new OLED TV but want the benefits of HDR and the current model doesn't support it. I really like the Fire TV (I have 3 fire tv's and 3 sticks) but might get the new Roku instead.

It was rumored to be coming out this fall but considering the Fire Stick 2 has been released and the Fire TV 3 missed black friday, it's possible it's been delayed until the new UI is released (with black friday being the big blowout on current stock) or possibly canceled in favor of a new edition that's more than a hardware refresh.

The new Roku wouldn't be a bad choice. Yeah, the UI is kinda lovely but having one device that can do niche services the Fire TV doesn't have (Vudu/Warner Archive/etc) is nice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Is there any way to legally stream Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show on the Fire TV? Like, all episodes of all ~14 seasons? Netflix has 30 or so, but that's it, the other 250 episodes are unavailable, and aren't on YouTube anymore and you can't even find a box set of the DVDs on eBay these days. I'm open to any suggestions, my girlfriend has decided to learn to cook and I just can't explain this stuff as well as he can.

You can buy them on Amazon's VOD store but it'd be expensive if you want them all.

$6.99 - Season 15
$11.99 - Season 3
$12.99 - Season 12
$13.99 - Season 10
$14.99 - Season 6
$17.99 - Season 11
$20.99 - Season 8
$23.99 - Season 1, 2, 4, 7, 5
$24.99 - Season 9, 13
$29.99 - Season 14

Even the Food Network app only has 2 episodes (but they're available to everybody, no cable lock on those)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 27, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was hoping for a steaming solution, as at ~$200 that's a lot more than I was hoping to spend :( I think we paid ~$130 for game of thrones but that was a special exception as we ended up watching a lot of that offline on her Kindle tablet

If she's looking to learn how to cook, you may be better off signing up for a service like Blue Apron. It's also expensive but it sends the supplies (minus olive oil) and has step by step instructions to walk you through it. If she's a complete beginner she may have to watch a youtube tutorial on how to properly chop with a chef's knife but, beyond that, it's very user friendly.

There's a thread in coupons with people giving away free trials. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782486

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ticket To Ride is free on Amazon's appstore. They recently added Fire TV support.

quote:

The Fire TV version features solo play against up to 4 AI players, local multiplayer play with up to 4 people, and online multiplayer. The online multiplayer is cross-platform, which means there will always be plenty of Android, iOS, Mac, and PC players to play with. Ticket To Ride is compatible with all Fire TV and Fire TV Stick models, and works with either a remote control or game controller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00CLUPOEE

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a double post. It seems like the new UI is rolling out. Has anybody got it yet?

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-interface-now-rolling-out-to-fire-tvs-and-fire-tv-sticks-in-5-2-4-0-update/

And there's a new notification center for messages from apps.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-gains-new-notification-center-with-new-interface-update/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

Pro tip for anyone using a Kodi on firetv box or stick... Last night I encountered a lack of storage on my box for the first time ever. After inspecting apps it seemed Kodi was using 3.2GB of storage on my box. This of course causes caching issues with streaming videos etc as it didn't have any place to put more data coming in. After poking around the file manager for a minute I realized that the Thumbnails folder was using 2.6GB! of space. Now I assume there is a tool or way to remove them all to "start" fresh downloading movies/tv show tumbnail art etc, however a quick google suggested that the majority of the space used in that file is all the actor thumbnails. It literally downloaded via IMDB or MovieDB every single actors picture from basically anything I've watched. Which why the gently caress would you need any of that.

tl;dr - Go to Settings > Video - Uncheck "Download actor thumbnails" which should help prevent rapid build up of storage usage.

Also in certain add-ons be sure to disable fanart.

Also also, it's not a bad idea to move the entire Kodi installation to the microSD card. It's a simple way to free up space without taking a hit in performance.

Croatoan posted:

Yeah I've been checking every day. I figure us early adopters will get hosed and maybe see it sometime after the new year. The old one sucks and It's the only reason I use my Roku. I'd love to swap them. I hate that the apps are organized the way they currently are and that you have to go around and look for what apps need updating.

Same. I still haven't gotten the new UI or the music app on my 2nd gen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

2) I have a few blu rays with "digital copies" that are "ultraviolet". Assuming that's some sort of brand. Is there an app or thing that'll let me watch those movies on my sticks? Disney's Finding Dory let me add it to my amazon account directly and it shows up under "your movies".

Ultraviolet is basically a digital locker that transcends individual services. Amazon never opted in. Disney has their own weird set up where you can add their digital movies to your chosen store account, including Amazon.

The Flixster app use to have SD ultraviolet access but they removed it for some reason. CygnusTM's right that it's a big gap with the Fire TV.

I don't know if you can sideload something like FandangoNow or Vudu for Android TV but UV is one of those things where you'd be much better off just getting a cheap secondary device like a Roku Express or Chromecast where you can get native support.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Amazon may have halted the new update.

quote:

I’m not positive, but it seems like the 5.2.4.0 software update, that started rolling out to Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks just over a week ago, has been temporarily halted. It’s not uncommon for Amazon to stop distributing a software update if a serious issue is detected with the first round of devices that receive the update, and it seems like that may be the case with this latest software update.

When Amazon stops pushing out a software update due to an issue, they’ll fix the issue and begin pushing out a slightly different version of the software update. When this happens, the update’s version number usually remains the same between version, but the build number changes. This is what happened with the earlier 5.2.1.0 software update, which initially had a build number of 550144920, but was then halted and restarted with a new build number of 550145120, due to a bug that prevented the screensaver from launching.

Amazon just updated their Fire TV software version page last night to now list the new 5.2.4.0 update. However, instead of listing the build number of the update, like they’ve always done in the past, the page instead has the word “[PLACEHOLDER]” where the build number should be. This is the main reason I think the first build of 5.2.4.0 has been halted and a new build will begin rolling out in the near future. Amazon has never omitted the build number on that page, so I think they know a new build number is coming soon, but instead of waiting for the new build of 5.2.4.0 to be finalized, they updated the page with a placeholder.

Of course, I could absolutely be wrong about this, but it does seem like this updating is taking longer than usual to arrive. None of my 5 devices eligible for this update have received it yet, which is unusual for me when the update has been out for over a week. The only issue with the 5.2.4.0 that I’ve come across that might be serious enough to halt the update is an odd incompatibility with older TVs that can only display 1080i/480p.

I’d love to know in the comments below what date exactly did your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick receive the 5.2.4.0 update. It’s actually possible for devices to update to the initial 5.2.4.0 build even after it has been halted. This could happen if a device receives notice of the update during the roll out but doesn’t decide to install it until much later. Despite that, getting a quick senses of when these updates have arrived could give us a better idea of whether or not the update has been halted.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-software-update-5-2-4-0-possibly-halted/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

This didn't happen. Unless it was only a day. I bought 6 firetv sticks to give as Christmas presents and each one has been updating with the newest FireOS after setup is complete. Still haven't seen it on my Box or Stick at home though, but I haven't checked yet either.

Also so far I am not a fan of the new menu layout.

It's possible that they rushed it out after Rbox released the update rom for rooted people. But yeah, 1 of my boxes got the update today.

Overall I like it. The style seems much better and it's less in your face about Prime content despite 2 big banners on the front page promoting stuff. I also like how you can customize the order of apps in 'your apps & games'

Two issues I have with it. Certain art take forever to load while really hurts the new interface and the new music app prioritizes things from Prime/Unlimited over your own music. It's also weird where when you click a certain artist like Prince, it's just lists all of his songs in a giant row instead of letting you browse them by album title. I guess all of that is to try to push you into using the voice search (which now, when you voice search "Parade By Prince" it will show the music app as a place to search results and it will plug your query into the text search in the app. Hopefully that expands beyond Amazon services.)

- edit Also this is good to know http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-disable-auto-playing-video-and-audio-on-the-new-fire-tv-home-screen-interface/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 14, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Craptacular! posted:

My understanding is that gen1 sticks will be officially forgotten about in this update. Whether they get any bugfixes etc going forward with their old interface, I don't know. It's good enough to watch Prime and watch NextPVR through Kodi, which is all we use them for, so unless it's a night and day revelation in those departments we will continue to stick with what we've got.

First gen sticks and boxes are suppose to get the update eventually.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Harik posted:

Update's pretty damned awful. I really detest it. All the loving helpful tips that are only supposed to show up once show up constantly, they hid my apps deep in a menu, it's not as clear what's currently selected with their new navigation system... overall it's just a mess and feels like they changed poo poo just to change it.

I really REALLY hate the "down, right" navigation. Your selection is in the upper left. Can't see what's above it without going up, can't see left without going left. And gently caress the auto-play HBO ad that kicks off if you pause too long on the home screen.

"Apps" now apparently means "go buy something". Installed apps, the things you actually use, are pretty well hidden. At least holding home goes to a menu.... that shows you a dozen FREE!!!!!! apps before yours until you manually select each one and bring them to the front. Why the gently caress was it too hard to copy the "Recently used Apps" setting from the previous build? The world may never know.

I want my $40 back. If it's just an ad platform now, it should be free.

You can turn off the auto play by going Settings -> Preferences -> Featured Content -> 'Allow Video Autoplay' 'Allow Audio Autoplay' OFF. And I'm not sure what you're talking about with the rest of your complaint. Recent on the home page still behaves the same way of listing the most recently used apps.

Plus the App Launcher just lists all the apps that are tied to your account, it doesn't insert apps you don't own. Highlight the app you want, hit the lines button and click 'move to front'. It will remember the order afterwards. That's also mirrored in 'Your Apps & Games' on the homepage right below recent and the 'Your Apps & Games' section in the recently updated Fire TV Remote app that can remote launch apps.

You can also permanently remove apps you don't want showing in your list by deleting it from your cloud. It's an option in the same section as 'move to front'

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 19, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

You're straight up mistaken about a number of things but, if you really hate it that much, why don't you just sell it? You could get most of your money back if it's a gen 2 and a Mi Box is only $69 (plus it has a volume control on the remote!)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 20, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cicero posted:

What are the pros and cons of the Fire TV stick vs the Roku stick? Googling around it looks like the main advantage with the Fire is better voice search and fewer clicks to start playing, main advantage to Roku is being a bit faster overall and more platform-agnostic searching?

edit: oh looks like you can't put Kodi onto a Roku stick. I think that makes my decision easier.

edit2: yeah fire TV stick it is

Fire TV Stick

Pros: Amazon services outside of Movies/Music, the ability to sideload Kodi, microphone on remote, actual game support, actual Twitch app with the ability to read chat/spam smilieys, Alexa
Cons: 1 GB of RAM, can be buggy, may require use of included adapter for hdmi port because its so fat, no uv services

Roku Stick

Pros: Fast as hell, no real bugs, service agnostic, Vudu/Google Movies & Music support, more niche apps, easier platform-agnostic search (amazon caught up to roku in the number of platforms included in the universal search but it isn't as user friendly as roku's simple list with prices), a freebie in alot of promotions if you're willing to prepay for services (last I can remember, Sling and Hulu both have a deal where you get a free roku stick if you prepay for x amount of months)
Cons: Custom OS with an ugly UI, Amazon Music app hasn't been updated in forever, no Kodi, no real games, number of private channels is extremely small

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 22, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Apparently, Microsoft doubled the price of Minecraft and launched a new version called the Fire TV Edition. People who previously owned the Pocket Edition are suppose to get the Fire TV Edition for free but it doesn't seem to be working yet. And people that were able to upgrade to the Fire TV Edition report that it doesn't carry over any of your DLC. So it's a giant shitshow just in time for Christmas :laugh:

http://www.aftvnews.com/minecraft-pocket-edition-drops-fire-tv-support-in-favor-of-new-more-expensive-minecraft-fire-tv-edition/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

I bought a Fire TV and the remote stops working as soon as you get to the home screen. Animations continue. Anyone else had this issue?

Normally it tries to update the remote firmware after you get to the main menu for the first time but it should pop up a notification informing you it's doing it. If you have an iOS/Android phone/tablet, try getting the remote app and go Settings -> Controllers & Bluetooth Devices -> Amazon Fire TV Remotes -> and you can see if the remote is offline or if it needs an update.

You shouldn't need line of sight so the only other thing I can think of, besides a defective unit, is weak batteries. Try a fresh pair and see if that helps any.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

delfin posted:

I have a first-gen Fire TV Stick and recently got a Fire HD 8 for my wife for Christmas. Is there any particular synergy between these devices via Alexa beyond what the Amazon Fire TV Remote App delivers?

Not yet.

If you have an Echo/Dot/Tap, you can set up Voicecast which will pop up fire tv style info cards on the tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHDjwrUvXnM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601900

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

delfin posted:

Neat, but since the tablet itself has Alexa on it, is the only difference with the Echo/Dot/Tap that she doesn't have to push the button on the tablet? i.e. "Alexa, wikipedia Julia Roberts" instead of *hold Home button* "Alexa, wikipedia Julia Roberts" or am I missing something?

Pretty much. Voicecast was released before the tablets got Alexa so it's purpose was to add a visual element to the Echo/Dot/Tap more than anything else. It's also kinda cool how it's able to wake up the tablet to display stuff.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Two new apps worth mentioning.

Soma.FM finally released their own app. It's significantly better than trying to browse their selection through TuneIn Radio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6KAT5Y

And a fan released a Giant Bomb app that works perfectly. It also remembers video progress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7ZMLQ5

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you thought ever thought 'oh boy, i'd like one of these fire tv things but i really wish it was built into some garbage tv' Amazon has you covered.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300384492.html

On a serious note, the fact that they actually integrated OTA support into the OS gives me hope for the Fire TV boxes. And lets hope the 3rd generation of Fire TV gets the same 3 GB of RAM plus 16 GB internal storage.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 4, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm not too hot on smart tvs. I own a Sharp Roku TV and I'll give Roku credit for actually heavily optimizing the software after launch but it still has performance issues on UI heavy apps like Netflix.

So even if you can trust a developer to keep the os up to date and within your specs for the life of your tv, which I wouldn't with Amazon, there's no guarantee that third party developers will do the same.

There's also legit problem with 'smart' 4k tvs launching without support for HDR.

- edit Oh hey, video of it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpe5e4OItE

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 4, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Could it be lack of HDR?

Fire TV doesn't have the hardware to support that yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Craptacular! posted:

Probably the same kind of hardware profile nonsense that causes Google Play Store to deem certain apps "not available" for certain Android tablets.

Sideload this for now.

They probably forgot to check the box when they updated the app. That's what happened to ES File Explorer awhile back. You can always try contacting the developers.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Craptacular! posted:

Is there any decent alternative to ES? I've tried sideloading Solid Explorer and Astro and they don't work right with the remote interface or lack networking features for some reason.

Ever since ES sold to a Chinese outfit and promptly bloated up with system addons and popup messages at launch, I've gotten tired of their poo poo.

I haven't tried it but there's another file manager in the app store called File Commander. Maybe that could work for you.

http://www.aftvnews.com/file-commander-is-a-new-feature-rich-file-manager-for-the-amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick/

I've heard alot of people mention Total Commander but it doesn't have networking features.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
AFTVNews posted an article titled 'What do you want to see changed or added to the Amazon Fire TV?' so that makes me think we could see new hardware very soon. He seems to have sources at Amazon and the last time he posted a random speculation article like 'Amazon needs to make a TV', Amazon announced it a few weeks later.

And the new update seems to be rolling out to 1st gen hardware http://www.aftvnews.com/software-update-5-2-1-2-begins-rolling-out-to-1st-gen-fire-tvs-and-fire-tv-sticks/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What could they add to the Fire TV that would make it worth buying over the current generation?

HDR support
Upgraded processor
More RAM (like 3 GB that the TVs are getting)
More internal storage (like 16 GB that the TVs are getting)

Those are the easy guesses we could see with gen 3. I also wouldn't be surprised at OTA support through a USB tuner since the new TVs are also getting support built into the OS. But if it's a USB tuner, they could easily add it to older models (unless it needs the microsd slot for something)

Always listening Echo style mics on the box itself would be cool but I doubt they'll do it now. Even the new tvs have the mic on the remote.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 24, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Building the Fire TV in to an Echo or Echo Dot seems pretty straightforward. 95% of what we use our Fire TV for is a radio. I don't know what you would use more ram or internal space, we have the HBO GO/NOW app installed, netflix, pandora, youtube and some local weather radar app that combined can't make up more than 200mb of space. "More hard drive space" is not something I ask for on a streaming media device typicaly.

More storage space would be more for the people who use theirs for casual gaming. 8 GB can fill up quick and there's a few big games that can't be moved to the SD card like GTA: SA and Star Wars: KOTOR

Kodi can also balloon up if you don't manually move it to the SD card.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 24, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CubanMissile posted:

I would like a USB port so I can have the option of adding external storage to the Firestick.

who needs an additonal usb port when you have this :v:

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-2-supports-usb-storage-keyboardsmice-and-ethernet-adapters-via-usb-otg-without-root/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

Could this be used as a car setup with no wifi and just storing videos for kodi on a usb stick?

Maybe? You'd need a program that could auto-open Kodi when the stick is booted on for it to really be usable in that situation.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If everything's buffering and sputtering, it sounds like some sort of issue with your wifi. A second gen fire tv stick shouldn't be having those type of issues with playback.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

There weren't always ads on the home screen, right? Or am I crazy?

It's been a long time since there hasn't been. The banner ad has just been stretched all the way across the top instead of being placed in the upper right hand corner like on the old OS.

(Unless you're talking about the stupid autoplay videos meant to highlight new content that's available. Thankfully you can turn that off by going Settings -> Preferences -> Featured Content -> Allow Video Autoplay OFF, Allow Audio Autoplay OFF)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Yeah. That's been there since Feburary 2015. http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-enables-fire-tv-banner-ad-and-pre-roll-video-ads/ Only real thing it advertised outside of Amazon's ecosystem was Brother printers, halloween candy and fitbits so Acer is a new one.

On the new interface, once you click down to leave the home row, the banner will disappear.

This is what it use to look like.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A new update finally allows people to disable the Prime Photos app.

quote:

The Prime Photos app on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick has been updated with a new option that allows customers to disable the app altogether. As you would expect, disabling the app prevents it from being launched. More importantly though, and likely the main reason for adding this new option, disabling the app also prevents it from storing photos and videos from your Amazon Drive onto the Fire TV or Fire TV Sticks internal storage. This allows customers who don’t use the Photos app to reclaim the precious internal storage space that the app normally uses.

The new Prime Photos app is being released through a system app update. This means only the one app is being updated and not the entire operating system of the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. There will be no indication that the update arrives, other than the new option to disable the app appearing in the Fire TV’s settings menu. You can check if you have the new version by going to Settings > Applications and scrolling down to see if you have version FOS-5 801027110 of the Prime Photos app. It appears only 2nd-gen devices with the new user interface are currently receiving the updated photos app, but it will likely come to older 1st-gen devices later this year when those devices eventually receive the new interface.

Strangely, Amazon has updated the Fire TV’s Software Update page to indicate that a new operating system version has been released for 2nd-gen devices. While the true latest software version seems to still be 5.2.4.0, the page now indicates the latest software version to be 5.3.2.0 with a build number of 801027110. I think this is a mistake because the new alleged operating system build number is actually the version number of the new Prime Photos app. I expect the software update page will be reverted back once someone at Amazon realises the mistake … or reads this post ;-).

As for the new option to disable the Prime Photos app, you can find it by going to Settings > Applications > Prime Photos. When you select the new option, you’ll have to confirm you want to disable the app; first by selecting “Disable Prime Photos” and second by selecting “Disable” to confirm. With the app disabled, it will still appear in your list of apps in the Fire TV’s interface, but selecting the Prime Photos app will display a message telling you the app is disabled and that you need to go into settings and enable it before you can launch the app.

As soon as you disable the app, it automatically deletes all of the photos and videos that it was storing locally on your device, which were previously downloaded from your Amazon Drive. For me, disabling the app freed up 1.48 GB of internal storage. Even if it’s disabled, the photos app will still use around 400MB of internal storage due to various interface images that it must store, like the default screen saver images.

While it would be better to be given the option within the photos app to select which photos and videos it stores locally, or better yet, the option to cap how much internal storage it uses, the new option to disable the app altogether is a welcomed addition. Hopefully a completely new Prime Photos app, that both better matches the new interface and has more advanced storage management options, is in the works, and that this updated app is just a temporary stopgap.

http://www.aftvnews.com/prime-photos-app-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-can-now-be-disabled-to-save-internal-storage-space/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

Posted this elsewhere a few days ago, but so far no replies...

My first gen FireTV is being weird with Prime Video. When I pull up a show and select and episode it will play no problem. When I pause the video it pauses no problem, when I press play again, however, the video will begin playing, but all audio is gone. At first I thought it was just trying to reopen the stream so I let it sit for a little while, that turned into 15+ minutes of an episode playing and no sound coming back. If I hit the back button and return to the episode select screen, choose the same episode and then hit "resume" from there it begins to play back with audio no problem. So it's only when I pause something I am currently watching and it' only Amazon Prime video that does it. HBO Go, Netflix both work as intended as well as everything else video/audio related on the box. It's been happening for a couple weeks now and I can't figure out what the problem is. I've replaced the HDMI cable, moved to a different port tried optical audio direct to the receiver rather than tunneling the tv, messed with audio settings on the box nothing seems to fix the issue. It's getting pretty annoying. I have 3 other FireStick's in the house and none of them have any problems. Short of resetting the firetv tp factory is there anything else I can do? Just seems weird it's literally only prime video.

Could this be your problem?

http://www.aftvnews.com/surround-sound-issues-with-amazon-video-on-fire-tv-resolved/

It's worth a try before you factory reset.

quote:

If you’re still experiencing the issue, you should go into your device’s settings and clear the data and cache of the Amazon video app under the Manage Applications menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My Roku 3 is starting to feel pretty old so I was thinking about picking one up the full Fire TV box and noticed it isn't available to ship until March. Is there an updated version coming out then? Or does it just occasionally go out of stock?

It's hard to say.

There were rumblings of third generation Fire TV box launching a few months ago and nothing came from it. The guy at AFTVNews recently posted a 'what could you like to see out of a third generation Fire TV' post and he has a history of people within Amazon feeding him information so that could mean that something's on the horizon.

Usually when things get delayed, it's because Amazon decided to scrap it for something completely different or the software isn't ready. I'd bet on the latter.

OTA support is probably going to be the big draw for gen 3 and I'm doubting its going to get baked into the box. So that means some type of USB tuner.

The good thing about that is if you don't care about HDR support or the upgraded CPU/GPU, gen 2 should get support through a software update.