Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

It's so crazy that you can just go off into the world and just die randomly. In some games it doesn't seem out of place. In this game, you're just driving your van to the store but you lose control, hit a tree, and then you're in the newspaper.

How do I add more diesel to the tractor? I can't find anywhere to pour fuel in. I dropped off some logs to the guy and then the fuel ran out as soon as I got back to the house. I grabbed the diesel can but couldn't find any fuel filler on the tractor. I poured some around various points of it but the bar never showed up.

you have to put in more diesel at fuel shop or do it from the jerrycan, There's a opening where you have to do it and it's fincky ant poo poo. I've been watching to these guys on twich and they've had police on them for about 9 years. Holy poo poo, I just want to drink a beer. No, wait, this is too real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It's so crazy that you can just go off into the world and just die randomly. In some games it doesn't seem out of place. In this game, you're just driving your van to the store but you lose control, hit a tree, and then you're in the newspaper.

How do I add more diesel to the tractor? I can't find anywhere to pour fuel in. I dropped off some logs to the guy and then the fuel ran out as soon as I got back to the house. I grabbed the diesel can but couldn't find any fuel filler on the tractor. I poured some around various points of it but the bar never showed up.

On the passenger side (US-centric) there's a gas cap you need to screw off with the mousewheel. Unscrew, take the cap off the diesel can, and put it near the cap you just took off. A green bar should appear indicating how much fuel is in the tractor.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
OKAY, engine's all built, let's just get that sucker up on the hoist and drop her in and....wait, what's that on the ground over there

...gently caress.

SEVERAL HOURS LATER

After disassembling and reassembling half the engine, it's finally in there. Probably with a bunch of bolts not tightened. I have to stop for now, but next time I play, I can boat to the store, get the necessary fluids, and see if it runs!

PROTIP: you can unplug the phone if you're sick of people calling you at all hours of the day and night to deliver wood and pump their septic tanks. I have money, I have sausages, I have beer, I'm good on running errands for now, thanks.

Also, holy poo poo are some things super-magic-pixelly and fiddly to get attached. It took forever to get the engine into position with the hoist, and I swear the loving radiator hoses took me longer than any other single part.

Shab posted:

On the passenger side (US-centric) there's a gas cap you need to screw off with the mousewheel. Unscrew, take the cap off the diesel can, and put it near the cap you just took off. A green bar should appear indicating how much fuel is in the tractor.

It can be tricky when they want you to mouse-wheel screw and unscrew things without a wrench equipped. There's a couple of engine parts that do it that and it messed me right up. And I bet there's some linkages I missed because of that. I guess I'll know for sure when the engine starts blowing fluids everywhere when I try to start it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How is everyone adjusting the valves? I'm getting a lot of ticking and there doesnt seem to be a way to easily tell which way to adjust them.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

How is everyone adjusting the valves? I'm getting a lot of ticking and there doesnt seem to be a way to easily tell which way to adjust them.

so far the best adjusment I've had has been the drunken half talk with the guy 3 cities aways, welcome to finland

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
QUESTION: how many?

ANSWER: at least five

first successful trip, though I only bought three to bring back because the suspension was sagging

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Yep, seem's about right

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I, too, was trucking 5 beer cases and a bunch of supplies back to the house

and then I flipped the van.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My mugshot is a picture of Henry Rollins. Some guys keeps calling me in game and yelling in what I assume is Finnishese. I put on the left door and the right door falls off, and when I put on the right door the left door falls off like I'm in some terrible 3 Stooges skit. I accidentally got my arms stuck out in front of me in a Frankenstein pose for thirty minutes. I can't stop peeing. Letting go of the pee key doesn't stop peeing. Send help.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The shop guy called me and tried because I stole gas. I think he smashed up all my body panels. They were the corner when I got back.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Okay how do I screw on the Water Pump Pulley thing. Guide called for 10mm, and I didn't get the green highlighted bolts while in tool mode with the right spanner?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That guide is wrong a couple times. There's another article called bolt sizes that have the right ones. or just try different size wrenches.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It ran! I mean, it ran like poo poo, but it ran. For a pretty decent distance, almost halfway down the dirt road from my house. Then this happened.

Something also flew out of the engine block and way far away. I think I missed a couple screws somewhere. The brakes also didn't seem to work. Which makes sense considering the whole front left axle apparently wasn't attached anyway.

There also was an "incident" with the van.

Oh and I grounded the boat again. It was a hard day. I'm deciding whether to try and fix all this or just start over with my greater knowledge and see if I can screw things up less.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I did as recommended and went to the store for the first day and bought all the beer, sausages, fluids, fan belt, and bug spray. I threw them in the back of the van and on the way back it hosed UP. I suddenly shot forward and started fishtailing very badly and couldn't figure it out. I ended up losing control and ending up in the ditch next to the road. I look over and see that some yellow van was going WAY fast and slammed into the back of my van causing me to lose control. Also, somehow, he knocked some of the beer crates out so I threw it in park and went to grab them. After picking up the first crate I turned around to my van and saw a car coming down the road quite fast. All I could do was look on in horror as it slammed into the back end of my parked van, popping the door open, throwing a few more crates onto the road, popping open both front doors and emptying all my beer bottles from the van. The next few minutes was spent haphazardly dodging cars on the road while throwing my beer back into the van.

Luckily the loving rear end in a top hat in the yellow van was stuck in the ditch and unable to move. I grabbed my empty bottles and threw them at his van which nicely put in some big ol' dents. I just wish I could have actually punched his van or otherwise.

Regardless, I got home put poo poo up, went to sleep, and then started putting the body parts on the car. At which point I took one look at "the engine" and quit in fear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can hit H to punch things. Also, just drive around the lake shore to get to the store. It's fast and there's no traffic. You just have to avoid trees. Drive out to that shed where the Tractor and septic truck are and keep driving towards the lake. Take a left and follow it all the way around until you get to the dock. Follow that gravel road up to the town and find the store.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Can you steal your neighbour's cars and strip them for parts? Because I look forward to pictures of SSSwitch's massive stockpile of terrible japanese economy car parts.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm loving the overly literal translations of various Finnish swears in the subtitles. :allears:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So I got my car working after much fuckery but then it died after like ten seconds for no apparent reason and oh god this guide says I should have put oil + coolant in but I can't see cans for them anywhere have I hosed it? :ohdear:

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You have to buy oil and coolant in the village store. Same with the fan belt, which I trust you remembered when assembling the engine.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Anyone tried using urine as a coolant? Works for the sauna at least. :v:

EDIT:
0.3% of players have managed to pass the car inspection while more than a fifth have done the drink yourself blind ones. We need a "that's Finland!"-emoticon.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

We need a "that's Finland!"-emoticon.
Well, we have :finland: although I think it should have a bottle of kossu or something to be more accurate.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Doc Morbid posted:

Well, we have :finland: although I think it should have a bottle of kossu or something to be more accurate.

Do not talk poo poo about the greatest cultural export Finland has ever produced. Doing so is a very bad idea.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I meant the spurdo should be holding the bottle, of course! I wouldn't besmirch the honor of Finland's finest cultural export.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So far I've sauna'd, drunk myself to the point of bladder explosion, but I have yet to start the engine. :v: The car's actually put together but i can't find how to secure the fuel pipe.

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Anyone tried using urine as a coolant? Works for the sauna at least. :v:

I tried pissing on the stove and nothing happened. How'd you get that to work?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was it on?

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
What wheel should I get for this (and other racing games)?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I put a tire on my car and I guess I didn't jack it up enough or some part clipped into something because it shot my car into the stratosphere and when it finally landed the body is all hosed up and none of the exterior parts fit on anymore.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

alternate.eago posted:

What wheel should I get for this (and other racing games)?

If you can find a Driving Force GT or G27 for a non-crazy price do that, else get a T150.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
A direct drink and drive wheel.

This game sounds delightfully insane, gonna buy immediately when I'm home from work.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I halfway hope this adds support for TrackIR. Then again, the Surgeon Simulator aspect of unwieldy controls and mouselook is part of why this is great.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

my dad hand built an engine that won the indy 500

last night we argued for 30 minutes about why the games water pump wouldnt work before we figured out that the timing cover needed to go on first

this game is the best

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone able to get a controller to work with the game? I'd like to sit at my steering wheel to walk around and then use the wheel and pedals without having to move. I guess that's be realism but at this time it's not feasible.

SabaSaba
Jun 20, 2010
Authentic 1995 bedroom:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/250340621616559411/8426392E5EFCC9086116B6F1EAFF6915F448D7F0/

SabaSaba fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 26, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Anyone able to get a controller to work with the game? I'd like to sit at my steering wheel to walk around and then use the wheel and pedals without having to move. I guess that's be realism but at this time it's not feasible.

I've been using my xbone controller for driving.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Forums Terrorist posted:

So far I've sauna'd, drunk myself to the point of bladder explosion, but I have yet to start the engine. :v: The car's actually put together but i can't find how to secure the fuel pipe.

Fuel pipe bolt is behind the filter.

My car is all assembled but it won't idle properly, the throttle doesn't do anything now. Is there something I'm missing?

My hobbies, entertainment and work have now overlapped completely.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

The brake pedal works before the engine turns on. Once I turn the engine on, it stops working until I turn the engine off, exit driving mode and then reenter driving mode. Then once I turn the car on again, the brakes stop working. I don't know, maybe I'll have to just start a new game.

Edit: Also, don't save and reload at the store after buying lots of stuff. Unless you really love individually dragging in sausages from the van. That shopping bag goes away and all the stuff you bought appears when you reload.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your brakes? My car had the same problem, before I ran into the more pressing issue of half my chassis falling off. I'd like fix that while I have it up to fix the chassis, if I can. Brakes seem like an occasionally-useful thing to have. I do have all the fluids in. (As an aside, he REALLY needs to make it less fiddly to fill the fluid reservoirs.)

Also, question for everyone, am I supposed to be able to tighten the air filter on there or does it just snap on? I tried every spanner and also just mousewheeling but either it doesn't need to be screwed on or I'm missing the magic pixel where I need to point.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
my car's decided it wants to overheat and puke coolant all the time, so naturally i've ordered the riciest aftermarket radiator in the world as a first step

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
wait where are these parts even going to appear

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your brakes? My car had the same problem, before I ran into the more pressing issue of half my chassis falling off. I'd like fix that while I have it up to fix the chassis, if I can. Brakes seem like an occasionally-useful thing to have. I do have all the fluids in. (As an aside, he REALLY needs to make it less fiddly to fill the fluid reservoirs.)

Also, question for everyone, am I supposed to be able to tighten the air filter on there or does it just snap on? I tried every spanner and also just mousewheeling but either it doesn't need to be screwed on or I'm missing the magic pixel where I need to point.

I did not. I started a new game and haven't even started building the engine because I went to buy stuff at the shop and when I got back all the body panels were smashed to bits.

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

my car's decided it wants to overheat and puke coolant all the time, so naturally i've ordered the riciest aftermarket radiator in the world as a first step

Did you buy a fan belt and put it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Watched a guy trying to make his brakes work for hours yesterday, he said they worked the first time he hit them too. Maybe it's a bug

• Locked thread