Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

HPanda posted:

Theory: anyone who doesn't like MM&O has either never dealt with people like the characters, or are (or at one point were) Owl.

I never really had to deal with such people (went to nerd school so mostly hung with other nerds) and yet MM&O has grown on me. Kind of like a fungus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

NLJP posted:

You'll prise my Genie des Alpages from my cold, dead fingers though.

Ahaha! That stuff came out in Norwegian translation way back when I was in middle school and just the right age to get properly hosed up. It's great. Don't think there's an English translation though and I can't read French.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

That's one of the saner bits of that comic. Unlike (for instance) the one where the mountain range in the horizon turns out to not just resemble the lower teeth in someone's jaw... because here come the upper teeth from above...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Ah, Franquin... grew up on his stuff, it was widely published in Norwegian translations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Sloober posted:

This is bad and has made me irrationally angry

It portrays the dorky sense of humour inflicted by gamers upon their surroundings, in a manner not completely inaccurate.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

That's because the Goblins guy recently hired Girl Genius' colourist!

What the hell is the point of that?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Fletcher Hanks was one weird motherfucker.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even Sluggy loving Freelance still exists. :psyduck:

I thought that was the greatest loving thing, like, almost twenty loving years ago. Was pretty funny too, I recall some good comedic timing and poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Syd Midnight posted:

In Beetle Bailey, Gen. Halftrack sexually assaulting his secretary was the only running joke the strip had other than "Beetle is lazy".

You're forgetting at least a couple more. One of those was "Sarge is fat".

Also, "stupid guy is stupid", "army food sucks", and some more.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Rolo posted:

Those are good and I’m glad my father’s tradition of wearing underwear while I have friends over has crossed the final ocean.

Embarrassing your kids horribly in front of their friends, that's basic Dad instinct, across all cultures and continents and all of history.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Randaconda posted:

New Nancy apparently owns hard. :randpop:

What an improvement over goddamn Guy Gilchrist.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Elfface posted:

Unless the world of Oglaf has gay-baby-making-magic.

Which it almost certainly does.

Homosexual reprodution is already well canonical in the case of manly barbarian dudes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Incidentally those guys turned out to be one of the most enduring and relevant pop acts out of the 80s. Go figure.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

My dad had a whole collection of Mad pockets, I remember reading them at an age where I was really much too young to properly appreciate them.

Same. Also they were instrumental in me self-teaching myself to read English (not my first language), my dad's Mad collection was mostly stuff from when he was in college, so late 60s and very early 70s. Hella counter-cultural stuff in there, with hindsight.

That stuff, and also my dad's old Tom Lehrer records. And then whatever I could get my hands on as far as nerd-genre literature went (was a nerdling in Norway in the 80s, rather limited selection of such stuff to read before one had to resort to English).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Biplane posted:

Hi, are you me?

...not sure. Are you right this minute waiting for a bus at the central station in Oslo? (Spooky if so.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell Lovecraft was sooo racist that his mother probably had to send him on errands before the housekeeper did his room because otherwise he'd scuttle under his bed and refuse to come out out of fear that a black person was in the vicinity.

He was terrified of Italians.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Danish swearing is so pathetic they use English to fill in the gaps.

For some reason they spent the four hundred years of ruling over Norway not learning how to swear like a northern Norwegian.

(We have legal precdent saying that someone from up north cannot be punished for calling a police officer "a loving horse-cock" to his face because that's just how you must expect someone from up there to speak.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Loucks posted:

You obviously don’t have children. They can take up an insane amount of space while sleeping and have surprisingly sharp elbows and knees.

This comic is way too real.

I am a fairly big dude and I have four kids. You speak truth.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Man was made in gods image

So god looks like

If we're dumb, then God is dumb. And maybe a little ugly on the side.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

there's a comic from 1400-1500 or that's basically the same thing, but lamenting the decline from medieval values

This one?

The place I found it said it was from 1627. Nihil novi sub sole, in any case.

E:F,B.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

huh, it's definitely a recut of the original

I swear it was like that when I found it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Knormal posted:

Sometimes it's harder on the seus

:golfclap:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
SHKYA is love.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Pookah posted:

The Three Musketeers is so much fun, as are some of the sequels - Milady de Winter is such a satisfyingly competent antagonist.

'The Man in the Iron Mask' is a mess, probably because it's not really a complete book - it's the last third of an absolutely enormous book (The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later).

I've read both The Count of Monte Cristo and the whole Musketeers series in their full unabridged glory (translations, mind you, I can't read French). Yeah, writers in those days were paid by the word and Dumas was an especially verbose bastard, but he generaly managed to make his stuff brilliantly entertaining as well.

Was kind of fun in one of the Musketeer sequels when they reminisce about the good old days when Richelieu was in charge and how he got things done unlike the idiot running things now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Dude have you ever seen an excavator operator?

Or any kind of professional driver, really. Bus, taxi, long-distance freight, you name it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Sounds good to me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I don't see the problem, Jucika owns

Yeah, it's cute and has some good jokes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kennel posted:

That's nice. I have a soft spot for it, because it was the first webcomic I read regularly. Too bad almost all of the jokes were super bland.

Lego-based nerd comic with bad puns, yeah, I can still find a place in my heart for that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

How can you be both am archduke and an emperor???

Have you not played Crusader Kings?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for the gradual loss of hearing, the world is chock full of nonsense chatter.

I remember my grandma had a hearing aid; and whenever the ambient noise got too much for her (there was easily a dozen or so of us grandkids, she loved family gatherings and they were inevitably a lively affair) she'd simply switch it off.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

I see you are a man of culture.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Weird Al is a golden god. And if I ever find out something horrible about him, I'm done. Any other musician or writer I like, I could get over them turning out to be bad, but not him.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Fart jokes will never not be funny.

Speaking as a father of four, it is my observation that farts become funny somewhere around the age of 12 to 18 months, and stop... well, basically never.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ubergnu posted:

While it can't be known if the first joke ever made was a dick joke or a fart joke, it was certainly one of them. My bet is on fart joke.

It is certainly the case that some of the oldest writing we have is fart jokes. Like, the ancient Mesopotamians invented cuneiform writing to record who owed how many sheep to whom; then they expanded its use to dirty jokes; then to religious stuff.

Similarly, some of the oldest representative art is dick drawings. (Probably because it's easier to draw a recognizable dick than a visual representation of a fart.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

wyoming posted:

Double the racism!

Although At the Mountains of Madness was probably one of the least racist stories HPL wrote? On account of not having much in the way of minority human characters in it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I thought Momoa was a pretty good badass Aquaman.

And funny. Out of all the live-action DC movies in the current generation, it was Aquaman and Wonder Woman that I enjoyed the most. DC can just keep making movies about girls and fish as far as I care.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Another thing about ancient religions was that they were regional, in that the gods ruled over specific regions. Foreign religions weren't wrong, they just worshiped the gods of their religion and/or people. Roman legions would observe the rites of foreign gods while abroad, in addition to their own. Mars may rule over legions, but Ra rules over Egypt so better sacrifice to both just to be safe.
And they'd hedge their bets by offering sacrifices "to whom it may concern", i.e. any gods known or unknown who may have an interest in the matter, take this payoff and no offense intended.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Were they the same and just copied, there'd've been little reason to have the fanfics written up, now'd've?

Well the Greek and Roman conceptions of their pantheons weren't exactly the same but it's not as if they'd developed in complete isolation from each other either, what with Italy having a bunch of Greek colonies for centuries, etc. [1] Neither was either pantheon a static uniform thing; different aspects of the Greek gods were venerated in different city-states, and in ways that changed over time (ask two dudes from the same city born 400 years apart to explain their religion, and you'd probably get pretty different answers). Same with the Italian/Roman pantheon. Things weren't organized and standardized on the same sort of level as we're used to seeing in major world religions these days, to put it mildly. Predominantly oral traditions, no real hierarchies above the single-temple level, etc.

Late-period Roman thinkers (when their religion was being used to help prop up the central authority of a huge fuckin' empire) sure were pretty keen on the idea that their main gods could be identified with the Greek ones, and with those of other civilized lands. And they'd bend over backwards to find correspondences, and write fanfic to support it. Then 1800 years later I guess some Victorian history buffs read those guys' stuff and got hung up on the idea that that was all there was to it.

[1] Supposedly some villages in southern Italy have preserved their own weird dialects of Greek until the 20th or even 21st century.

Groke has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Man.

When I was growing up in Norway in the 80s, media was less globalized and it always used to take some time before big American movies made it here -- 6 to 12 months was not unusual. (Distributors would wait and see which movies actually had some commercial and/or critical success, then work out the financial stuff, then get a translation done and duplicate prints with subtitles on, etc.)

But, no such delay applied to print media, crates of magazines would arrive as soon as a boat could cross the Atlantic. So almost every time we went to see an American movie, we had already read the Mad parody of it, and the experience was usually made better for it.

Also my early learning of English as a young nerdling was facilitated by my Dad's old stack of Mad magazines and collections from the 60s and 70s. (As well as his Tom Lehrer albums.) Big part of my childhood going here. Ave atque vale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Those old Prince Valiant stories fuckin' rock. And the artwork is utterly lovely.