Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Wurst Poster posted:

Buenos dias Alice
IMBECIL!!

lol

Gamer Dilbert went from weirdly sappy to weirdly violent. It truly is the eclectic masterpiece of our time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That was literally my first thought, he can't even play Divinity: Original Sin 2 now.

It might be in bad taste to say this about a guy who's just lost both of his hands, but I always thought he was a console babby and not a true :pcgaming: gamer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Len posted:

What's it filtering?

Nice try

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Continuity RCP posted:

England was Catholic during the black death, 2/10 this cartoon is terrible

Yeah what the gently caress

How are they all incapable of checking Wikipedia for two minutes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been a joke for a while that Europeans will go on about how racist Americans are but go from zero to hitler in the blink of an eye when you bring up roma.

I think that's more of a goon meme, like the idea that 'we' are constantly throwing bananas at black football players and think it's normal, just because some braindead Spanish football hooligan did that once. Some European countries have fairly small Roma populations, and many natives in those countries have no strong opinions on them. The people that do have opinions though, yeah, they're usually negative ones.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like I recognize the style. Dutch artist, right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Europeans are extremely not racist as long as they don't have to, like, look at or interact with or think about other races at all. so Europeans who don't know about Roma not being racist against Roma yet is definitely believable.

Yup, same mechanism causing Vermont to be, like, extremely not racist compared to Mississippi.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Lol I watched it happen once on these very forums(i wanna say the poster was a Swede)

Someone mentioned the g word(few years ago when it wasn't gonna get moderated) and he spent a post going off, then was baffled when he got called on it because why would anyone care about them?

Yes, every time it comes up there is some American going 'ah but I knew an exchange student from X who talked poo poo about them', and I completely believe that, my point is just that it's not a big 'thing' or topic of conversation here. I can't remember the last time I ever talked about the subject of Roma except with my parents, who are refined intellectuals just like I of course am. Well, I guess I knew a guy back in college who once complained that he got scammed by them. I suppose you could say it's a bad thing that the discrimination isn't being highlighted.

Seems like this track always leads to the embarrassing goon pissing contests about who is the least racist and most enlightened, except when being racist in some way is also linked to being cosmopolitan and diverse in some way, which we definitely are, and we definitely have problems and I hate my country but you guys are still worse, etc. It's just played out and trite. The world is not simple.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nobody's treating this like a contest and we're all aware of the complexities of the world. We're just going "wow this is a thing that happens huh" and you're going "not all Europeans"

Europe actually is just a collection of countries and diverse beyond the epic goon memes about it, and far, far, far beyond 'wow these people 3,000 km away from us say pop instead of soda', and I still get annoyed when some European dumbshit is going on about how people in loving Seattle or wherever are probably dragging black people behind their pickup trucks, because they know nothing about the US other than general impressions and repeating what they've heard others say.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred reported for antisemitism

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Not all Europeans do this. I know at least a dozen people who haven't made unflattering assumptions about Seattle.

:jerkbag: shut up Eurotrash with your #NotAllEuropeans, I knew a Bulgarian exchange student 15 years ago who said some really bad things about Roma, don't remember what it was but it definitely wouldn't fly over here

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honestly, I always thought the dog cum Garfield was a bit of a stretch, but this one, I can absolutely believe that it is implied that Jon will have sex with his cat (like that tweet).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt before, but we have to acknowledge a pattern when it emerges. Jon fucks animals. I no longer feel comfortable reading Garfield.

P.S. mods knew

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Even if we don't have airtight proof that Jon's ever had sex, there's enough to indicate that he behaves inappropriately with his pets, at the very least. I don't want to give Jim Davis another cent, and will only continue to read Garfield if it gets handed off to another writer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

These comics are garbage stop posting them

Agreed, instead, post '2020 is so bad and I'm depressed lol' comics for the millionth time. I will continue with this classic Jerry Cotton©:

https://imgur.com/gallery/d46JMv4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually think they're alright too, but I had to defend Gamer Dilbert, some of the Wally arcs get a long little-winded, but every now and then the cross-armed stars align and you get one that's absolute gold

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's so casual about it, too

I always thought Everett True using ultraviolence in response to minor slights was a bit disproportionate, but this is on another level. Those old-timey cartoon characters weren't loving around.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had never even heard of him before and he's already #canceled

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

For a second I thought Adams married his real doll and I'm disappointed a real human being decided to marry him instead

I will go against the grain for a minute here and say that I hope his new wife is an intelligent, deep, caring person who will help un-crack-ping his brain and guide him towards being someone who isn't clinically insane and terminally poisoned by politics.

There is 0% chance of this actually happening, but I've decided to adopt a more positive outlook instead of wanting to see all of my opponents driven before me while I savor their lamentations etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

6.5/10

Was hoping he'd do something comically violent or inappropriate

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My prediction, Gamer Dilbert will become an exclusive :pcgaming: PC gamer in time, but not yet, that arc isn't over

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Does anybody else find it bizarre how often mr true is...I dunno...not a chud?

I'm not American but I'm pretty sure this is the era of American history dominated by 'morally upright social justice', see suffragettes, the temperance movement, serve your country in WWI like a good boy, etc. I would guess that the main reason it came to an end (specifically things like temperance when Prohibition failed spectacularly, not so much the idea of women voting obviously) is that it was often a front for hypocrisy, classism, and xenophobia. Or in Everett True's case, ultraviolence.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

I do not quite recall where I read it, but I did read a bit that said Prohibition did not fail. Yes, the law was repealed and people could drink again, but it massively reduced how much, and how many of the population drank regularly.
That is, for the decades after it was ended.

So, it failed in removing alcohol entirely, but it succeeded in reducing it's consumption across the national board.

it could have been bullshit,though. I unno

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that is just the period in which alcohol consumption would have dropped regardless, as it was when the working classes rose from crushing poverty to a quasi-respectable standard of living. It happened in Western Europe as well, where in most countries there was never any form of prohibition on alcohol. Correlation is not causation, and I'd like to see how the study disentangled that.

Prohibition did make sense in the context of America's Puritan tradition and enforcing Protestant supremacism. What I don't really understand is how they reconciled that with their national mythos of loving liberty, freedom from tyranny, big gub'ment telling me what to do, etc. I realize they weren't entirely the same groups, as I believe temperance was mostly a Northern Protestant thing, but I'm amazed at how easily everyone just went along with a blanket ban on alcohol.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

It was largely a Puritan thing but the temperance movement was also driven by domestic violence. Part of the reason you had so many women advocating for prohibition was that their husbands would drink all day and beat them when they came home

Makes sense, though I have to say if your spouse beats you they're a piece of poo poo regardless of how much they've had to drink. See also: Toesnax

But it's completely in-character to use it as an excuse to declare War on Alcohol instead of addressing the root causes or even domestic violence itself

plus ça change

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it's grown on me.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that no one is mad at Alice, but then I guess Dilbert was breaking into Wally's apartment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never fully read a single one of those dog comics. It doesn't seem that bad, but I'm not about to read the webcomic equivalent of War and Peace just to find out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

That lady is a raper

And a serial pedophile, those two kids should shoot her

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a Doom-clone that's popular with the kids and mankids.

Ah, now you're talking my language. Does it have 'deathmatch' mode I can play at LAN parties with my buddies, or just a single-player campaign?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think so, yeah. I tried it once and it just froze at character selection or whatever. Or maybe that was Fortnite.

I pretend to be above Overwatch, but if it hadn't been on Blizzard's weird exclusive client I probably would have played the poo poo out of it.

Who is the supposed gamer grrl, is it the sexy blonde cyborg nurse or someone else entirely?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

More like Oldpaladinus.

I'd always dreaded the day Jerry and Paladinus would quote each other, it will just spiral now until our entire universe is consumed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I do, when your mom comes over :twisted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume that's an accurate self-insert

Sarah if you're reading this post, I also am an exclusive :pcgaming: and I hate shoddy ports, PM me

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Never mind anyway, check out the disgusting cheekmouth in the second panel, I'm not dating anyone like that. It's like she read this classic Cowboy Henk and thought it was a lifehack:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Whybird posted:

Yeah, spotting that completely changed my position on whether I should or should not have sex with this fictional cartoon character.

I know, right? It's like, just talk out of your mouth and not your cheekhole lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Love 2 use pepperspray in close proximity to my newborn baby.

On the other hand, I really would like a clipboard that just has 69% on it

Beachcomber posted:

Poor Freckles, saw a snake and creampied.

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:siren: All lovers of quality comics assemble, Tails Gets Trolled is updating again. Wile E. Coyote is still in the fight that's lasted for something like literally six years now, but word is that it's about to end. Get in:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467407

ChubbyChecker posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of art I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of comics like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Dilbert in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This the first time you've heard of Tails Gets Trolled? I'm so jealous. Once you're caught up, don't forget to watch the goon voice-over on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuvfzOwU4xU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ma'am, I'm afraid we're going to have to amputate your hosed up gangrenous hands. You wasted far too much time doing twee poo poo before coming to the hospital.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright I didn't want to directly ask, but since no explanation is forthcoming, I will: what the gently caress is up with those hands, what does it signify that they're all black and dirty?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is this one of those things where it's actually a guy drawing that and signing a girl's name because he thinks it will make it less creepy? Because "Amy" seems to really like sexualizing that character.

Amy Revives, if that is your real name, you are accused of drawing a fictional adult human woman with cleavage. The sentence is death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah of course, the classic red panda/fruitfly/human hybrid trope, so dumb that we didn't immediately think of that