Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I loving love Kliban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Aardvark! posted:

drat, I don't know how I never heard of this guy.
He's sort of "a product of his times."

In his mid 20s he managed to land a gig doing cartoons for playboy sort of in the vein of the New Yorker.

Some of his content could be construed as misogynist or racist ...

But then he struck gold. He cats were loved by everyone and started showing up in mainstream t-shirts, coffee mugs, and posters.

He died in '90 a couple of weeks after heart surgery. Gary Larson called him out as one of the people whom inspired his work and you can really see it. I don't think anyone would disagree that Larson's work is far more accessible to the general public in comparison.

I've been posting his "safe for the newspaper" content in the comics strips thread since April of last year.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Captain Monkey posted:

That’s the worst, most self indulgent thing I’ve ever seen.
I don't think I could make a parody more powerful than that. It's probably the biggest self-own I've ever seen.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My favorite Nedroid

I unironically have a favorite ctrl+alt+del, too; I've not been able to find it since I first saw it but it's a four-panel where the Deathknight player is lamenting his unique situation of no longer being under the influence of the Lich King and that's a burden for them to solely bear (or something like that). The last panel is a pan-out of a bunch of mountain tops with Death Knights on them all lamenting the same thing.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Fools Infinite posted:

Get it? Do you get it
My favorite in the series.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

fun fact: Steve Buscemi is the first hit on google if you search for "that one bug-eyed actor."

I have done this multiple times.

I got Marty Feldman as my first result?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

e-dt posted:

do you want to see the kingdom without a king
Love and Rockets - "Everybody wants to go to Heaven"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9y7JkoG6Ak

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

some plague rats posted:

Constantly amused by how piss-focused everyone is

Have I got a D&D campaign for you!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Isn't there a follow-up to this where they decide to play along with the whizzard story line and it ends in tears?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I picked up the Thorsby story like half way through, what does the big number with the week number mean?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

The number is how many different Ulfs/timelines are currently connected and communicating, and it appears with the week number because exactly once per week, every Ulf with a brain chip splits into two timelines which diverge at that point.

That's hosed up, but not unexpected of Thorsby.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

To the other comic creators in the thread, what does your process look like normally? I tend to do multiple passes over the story, like I start with a mindmap for a chunk of my writing, basically one "act" of whatever arc I'm doing like this.

I also have bigger maps for the overall story, because I wanted to know how it would end before I started, so I had a goal in mind as I moved forward. It's basically mindmaps within mindmaps within mindmaps. Mindception.

Then I'll write a script, with some loose descriptions of what's going on (ignore the weird number scene, it's a legacy thing from when I did choices, I would write ahead a little bit for each choice.

Then when the script is done, I start making the pages one at a time. What does your creative process look like?

What tool is that?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

100% Free and open source tool called https://obsidian.md/ Obsidian, it's insanely useful.

It's got goofy stuff, like web view to see who is connected to what and how.

That's awesome! I'm writing a novel (or ten) and need to organize my thoughts, I watching a YouTube video on how to use this to help, thanks!

I'm sorry I missed the great probing of PYF.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Koburn posted:

I have been posting 5 pages at a time and there are 11 pages left. IMO there is no satisfactory way to break these last pages up, so gently caress it, let's finish it today.

:nws: from this dark and narrow place... :nms:

Layers of Fear - Finale

Is it bad that I couldn't stop laughing at this? I like the fault story but all the rest of his stories always either vear towards comedy (to me) or just sort of wander off like he couldn't think of a proper ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

e-dt posted:

Hey, quit covering Tears For Fears in there you drat kids!
I've always thought it funny (and kind of sad) that every cover of Mad World gets more somber and morose than the last. The final cover of the song will be sung by Tom Waits and will be over 20 minutes long.