Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I usually wait until I get an interesting idea for a character to app before jumping into a thread. On this occasion, inspiration has struck twice, and I'm having a hard time deciding which I like better:

1) A News who used to be the Taking King's propaganda man.
At the top of one of the tallest towers of Maze-Town (rivaling the Cistern in height) is a billboard that somehow still remains intact and capable of being powered. Through it the Taking King's propaganda would be broadcast to all and sundry by one of the prettiest faces within a week's sail. For the average inhabitant of Maze-Town, his face was even more recognizable than the Taking King's. This was tolerated as long as he remained loyal and kept the populace pacified with tales of the King's unquestioned authority and unparalleled prowess (on the battlefield and off). But things have gone pear-shaped for this particular pretty boy since the Taking King went and got himself killed...

2) A Tribal (if that playbook is available, otherwise a Chopper) who hails from a historically sea-faring culture (Polynesian? Viking?).
He was taught the "old ways" by his grandmother who had kept the remnant of her people alive and on the move through the Apocalypse and its aftermath with her wisdom and knowledge (and obstinate refusal to rely on technology that was no longer sustainable). That is, until her vessel, the "flagship" of their rag-tag fleet, went down in the most recent Maelstrom. The rest of their fleet managed to weather the 'Storm and limp their way into Maze-Town, but their new leader is going to have a hell of a time keeping his people together now that they've finally reached "civilization" (such as it is)...

Any feedback on either option would be welcome, especially if PoultryGeist has an opinion as to which character fits better into the world and any Plot that is in the works. I can throw up the stats in relatively short order, but on my own I'll probably agonize over the two options for far too long before ultimately just picking one randomly.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"Pearl", The News

Look: Ambiguous, transgressing; Display wear; Pretty, boyish face; Mischievous eyes; Slim body; Passionate, lilting voice.

Cool: -1
Hard: 0
Hot: +2
Sharp: +1
Weird: +1

Moves
Breaking Now: At the beginning of the session, roll +sharp and ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3 times. On a 7-9, ask twice. On a miss, ask once:
* Where is ___ and what are they up to?
Whatever the answer, that’s what you put out over the air. Now everybody knows.

Rally to the Cause: When you speak out in favor of a cause or person, roll +hot. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to have your audience:
* Send in supplies worth 1- or 2-barter
* Attack somebody you name
* Defend someone or something you name
* Go together to a place you name
On a miss, hold 1 anyway, but to spend it you have to personally lead them into action.

Consummate performer: when you’re in front of an audience, you get +1 to any rolls you make
Unflappable persona: when you act under fire, roll +hot instead of +cool

Studio

At the top of one of the tallest towers of Maze-Town (rivaling the Cistern in height) is a billboard that miraculously still remains (mostly) intact and capable of being powered. Through it the Taking King's propaganda was regularly broadcast to all and sundry by one of the prettiest faces within a week's sail.
By default, your radio television studio is a makeshift building which can comfortably house 2-4 people, with broadcast equipment and a single NPC guard (2-harm 1-armor, you detail...)

Fishmouth, the "Station Manager"

Choose 2 amenities:
* Hidden weapons (electrical & sound equipment rigged as booby-traps, along with a few conventional weapons tucked away here and there)
* Savvyhead’s workshop with 1 option: transmitters & receivers

Attractions:
* Music (& vids) from the golden age
* Guests
* Expert advice (particularly, how to get on in the Taking King’s domain — i.e., propaganda)

Choose 1 complication:
It’s in a well-known location — at least the big-rear end video display is, and somebody could probably follow the power and signal cables back to the studio, if they tried hard enough.

3 Informants:
Greenleaf, one of the Taking King’s "Amazons" -- like Fisher-of-Men, she's one of his big guns. She gets me the inside dirt on the people closest to the King. Since she’s shared a bed with lots of them, her info is *always* worth its weight in water. What she hopes to get out of dishing to me, I’m not sure — she hasn’t even propositioned me (yet). Maybe she had just been using me to advance herself in the Big Man's eyes, but that doesn’t really matter any more, what with the brand new power vacuum at the top.

Gaff, a shady character who loiters around the fishmarkets, when he’s not picking his way around the Jumble. Nobody knows what he does or where he gets his water, but he seems to have his finger on the pulse of the people.

Ahab, from beyond the Dawn Islands. I’ve never met anyone from further away than him. He has killer stories from far-flung corners of the sea that are the envy of all the poor saps who’ve never been more than a kilometer from the squalid container ship where they were born. My interviews with him were always good for getting people to forget some questionable call the Taking King made.

Biggest fan:
Well, the Taking King *was* a big fan, because of our quid pro quo — I always made him look good, and he always made sure my insides stayed on my inside. But that ship has sunk. Now, hopefully, my biggest fan will be whichever vicious, canny bastard rises to the top of this shitpile. Maybe it’ll be Rev, or hell, even Fisher-of-Men. If they liked what I did for the Taking King’s rep, just wait till they see what I can do for them!

2 people you’ve pissed the gently caress off:
The Collectors from the Cistern -- As an apologist for the Taking King’s way of keeping things running, I was somehow unfairly blamed for all of the his crew's violations of the Code or whatever BS the Cistern was shoveling. That had not been a problem, as the Taking King kept me in water from his own share. (He even showed me his *shower* one time!) But when the poo poo hits the propeller, there is no way I can hightail it to the Cistern for refuge. Which is just as well, I suppose; I trust myself a lot more than I trust those whackjobs.

Guido resented that I got so much face time with “the masses” when *he* was supposed to be the King’s right-hand man. I hate to say it, but Guido's got the charisma of a week-old tuna fish, so the King was wise to keep him off the air so a professional could keep the people properly informed and entertained. But if Guido winds up in charge of things, I could be in for a bad time.

Gear:
1 weapon of last resort: silenced 9mm (2 harm close hi-tech)
oddments worth 1-barter
fashion suitable to your look:

"Oh my god! Oh my god, ladies and gentlemen, something's happening! I think we're being attacked! I don't know who they are, but they're everywhere! One minute I'm invited by the Big Man himself, Mr. T, the Taking King, onto his flagship, the Gently Caress You, for an intimate, one-on-one live interview, and the next I'm up to my nipples in hideous fish-monsters! Oh poo poo, three more coming! Oh my god, Mr. T, my man, the Taking King, is in trouble! I'm going to go and try to see if I can see something...

"Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, this is amazing! Our badasss Taking King is issuing commands to his men to defend you, his people, with their lives! This may be my last transmission, but you all deserve to witness the bravery of your King! And there he is: standing tall, corpses all around him, dishing out round after round from Vera, his Callahan full-bore Auto-Lock! From my vantage point just adjacent to the front lines, I can see TK and his crew holding them off...

"Oh! Oh! And now it looks like those disgusting creatures have had enough, and they're retreating in mewling disarray! He's done it! The Taking King has once again triumphed over his enemies in ferocious combat! And now our righteously pissed-off King is tear-assing after those fish-fuckers to make sure none of them escape alive! But wait, what's that crawling out of the porthole just behind him? Oh my god, ladies and gentlemen, I think...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"

<Transmission Ends>

"poo poo, Pearl," Fishmouth spits out as he lunges toward his charge. "poo poo poo poo poo poo. Pearl, we gotta get the gently caress outta dodge!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"

A slap to the face shuts Pearl up momentarily. "Calm your poo poo down a second and listen! The rest of those sorry sons of bitches are still fighting, for the moment. As long as they're slinging lead around like they'll be able to motor out of here at the end of it, the attention's not on us. We keep out of sight and get to those lifeboats over there, we just might be able to find ourselves lost in the confusion. If there's any fuel in the engine -- or hell, even if there's a loving oar -- we can get far enough away that these...whatever the gently caress they are...won't bother following us. I kept you safe from the pissed-off mob after you announced the King's restrictions on water rations, remember? I can get you out of this too. You just have to follow my lead."

"What are you doing?"

"Count to...ten."

"Was that a bomb?"

"Just shut up and count!"

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 14, 2017

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

PoultryGeist posted:

”Pearl", the News
In these times of change and troubles, why are you so sure Fishmouth isn't just gonna dump you overboard and get a new Face for the Screen?

"Well...poo poo. Like I ain't got enough to worry about with the Taking King gone and Guido looking to fill the vacancy; you want me to start worrying about Fishmouth too?

"I dunno, maybe everybody's got a price, even him. But I know he's a good dude. He's saved my rear end more than once -- he did it again the other day, in fact! -- when he could have just walked. So what is it? Loyalty? A sense of purpose? A lack of imagination? All of the above?

"The only thing he’s ever said about it was the morning after the Taking King found himself on the pointy end of that monster's harpoon. We made it back to the studio through the shrieking wind and driving rain and both got started on what we could do to shore up our precarious position. We didn’t need to say a thing to each other; we both just knew: with the vidscreen being one of the most prominent symbols of the Taking King’s authority, we would be a juicy target for anyone with a message to send or a point to prove. So Fishmouth rigged the amps to blow if they’re turned up to 11, wired the power supplies to arc if they’re messed with, stashed a few of the Taking King’s surplus munitions around the joint, that sort of thing. Meanwhile I got on the air and, through my tears, told the world about the Taking King’s final moments.

“I once watched some old footage from back in the day where these little golden statues were given to people whose vids brought in lots of jingle. I think there’s even a crate of them belonging to some dude named ‘Oscar’ in the back of the storage closet over there. So, yeah...my vid from that night, it was one of those kinds of vids. So good, I might just go borrow one of Oscar’s statues to display in the studio.

“What? Oscar’s got to be dead by now; why would he need them?

“Anyway, after the broadcast was done and the vidscreen was powered off, we hunkered down to wait for the Storm — the literal one and the metaphorical one — to either drown us, or blow over. In the morning, once we could tell that nobody was gunning for us, Fishmouth ventured out to check on the condition of the vidscreen. Not only had the storm, or vandals, or whoever, decided not to vent their fury on it, I’ll be damned if he didn’t stumble upon a whole stack of tributes laid out at its base! From fresh-caught fish, to makeshift crosses, to honest-to-god flowers (who the hell has the dirt to grow those, anyway?), to all sorts of unidentifiable crap that people seemed to think was valuable, all commemorating the fallen King and his cronies. Best of all, there were even a few bottles of high-quality spirits, presumably left by some of those who had done pretty well for themselves under the Taking King.

“An hour later, when most of the bottles were empty and Fishmouth was three sheets to the wind, he just looked around the studio with bloodshot eyes, raised his bottle toward me, and offered his own tribute to our fallen King. I might not remember all of it — I was a little shitfaced myself — but it went something like this:

Fishmouth posted:

Nobody loved him. Nobody. But he gave them something, if only for one brief moment. He lifted them out of their putrid piles of rotting fish guts; he let them imagine something beyond the rusting steel hulls. But it wasn’t just the Taking King. It was us, Pearl, you and me, who gave that to them. You and me.’

“And then he ripped a massive fart, before passing out cold.”

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Pearl has only one question for everyone:
Can I count on you to tell me the truth?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Can I trust you?

Asherah can trust Pearl to do what is right...for Pearl. Since it would obviously not be in Pearl's best interest to piss off someone who carries around such a big-rear end hook, that almost certainly means Pearl will treat the Huntress right.

Frgrbrgr posted:

'Ey, is yoo'n growler?

Ah-woooo!
Nah, I'm just playin'! But sometimes you gotta play the wolf to run with the pack, amirite?

Marlin posted:

Which one of you once got me out of some serious poo poo? For that character, write Hx+1.

Remember that one time when Greenleaf got the notion in her head that being one of the Taking King's Amazons should come with more privileges? And that she should be able to take whatever she wanted -- like, say, the Crate -- without an argument from anybody? Well, I had to work pretty hard to convince her that it wouldn't be right for her to lower herself to motoring around like a common fisherman, and why would she want a leaky wreck like that, anyway? But I think what really got her to back off was the subtle reminder that the Taking King was the one who did the taking, and he wasn't too appreciative of freelancers operating without his permission.

Pearl's Hx:
Asherah: +2
Deep: +1
Marlin: +1
Sinclair: +1

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
With her killer bod and her killer, well, everything, it is clear that Asherah is Hot Hot Hot!

• Locked thread