Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We've currently got one month's expenses dispensed into checking* and $4265 in our savings accounts. Paychecks go straight into a savings account. We've been holding on to the extra we had in savings to move. I just noticed you asked more than that, I'll update that later, just started watching a movie with my wife.

*According to my wife, she split stuff out. I feel like it's a bit low but I would need to add everything up to be sure.

E: The place I looked at today would be $3600 to move in, but at least some of that would get paid / paid back by roommates once we get some. I need to find out the comparative costs of a moving company vs a moving truck and my younger brother and his friends. You might think that's a no-brainer, but teenagers eat a lot of pizza and I need to at least pay them something.

I also need to clarify if it will really be $3600 or if first month's rent is going to get prorated since the lease would start on the 15th. I need to check on Xcel Energy and the City of Longmont's start service fees for utilities, but in the grand scheme of things that's not particularly significant. I'm going to want to get a new router soon for that $50 gigabit symmetrical internet, but that can wait. I know that install is free.

What else should I be planning for with regards to the move? this is the first time we've moved from a place where we don't have any roommates, we aren't going to need to buy anything to replace what the roommates owned. I guess changing my car insurance and renter's insurance? I guess I'll also need to swap over our vehicle registrations to the new county. This is where it starts to add up, isn't it?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is the 3600 first and deposit? What all is and isn't refundable?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

3600 is first and deposit, $1500 deposit and $2100 rent. We’ll get two roommates. I know it sounds like a lovely situation, and I guess it kind of is. At least the place is nice and it’s a pretty smooth path to work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:siren::siren:WE GOT IT!!!:siren::siren: :woop: :whatup: :getin: :snoop:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thank god that commute sucks and your landlord is insane. I hope you find good roommates!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nice hope it works out

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. At the lease signing we talked more, she seems really nice. Extremely friendly.

It ended up being $2750 to move in. She had thought we would do 15th-15th for rent, since the lease starts on the 15th. I said that I would prefer to pay on the 1st just because it's easy to remember so she prorated the first month. $1,050 for rent, $1500 for deposit, $200 pet fee. Now we find roommates.

The receptionist at work is going to give me all of the boxes for the office supplies and other packages that come in. That will help for moving. My wife is going to schedule a carpet cleaner for this apartment tomorrow. That's one thing I forgot to add in initially.

We are ridiculously excited right now.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Congrats on the new place! Your environment has a massive impact on your emotions so hopefully this will mean good things to come. It's especially nice that she was flexible on the payment arrangements.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to find out the comparative costs of a moving company vs a moving truck and my younger brother and his friends. You might think that's a no-brainer, but teenagers eat a lot of pizza and I need to at least pay them something.

Having done both, I recommend getting movers. If someone breaks something you can always go after them for compensation which you probably won't realistically do with friends/family. Also if you've got a lot of heavy stuff to move and stairs, etc there is a real danger that someone won't have proper lifting technique and hurt themselves. And something (generally something you kind of care about) always gets broken or scuffed or whatever during a move.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What else should I be planning for with regards to the move? this is the first time we've moved from a place where we don't have any roommates, we aren't going to need to buy anything to replace what the roommates owned. I guess changing my car insurance and renter's insurance? I guess I'll also need to swap over our vehicle registrations to the new county. This is where it starts to add up, isn't it?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We are ridiculously excited right now.

My best advice is keep a handle on the excitement and don't go overboard immediately with buying stuff for the new place. I would actually encourage you to think carefully about what fits into your new place and then sell or donate whatever is not going to work rather than hauling it with you just because you have it. Remember especially that if you are planning to get roommates, they'll have their own stuff as well.

You will feel much better without the clutter around plus free up some cash to go towards the move. If you need help, I think there's an interior design thread somewhere in A/T that you can get advice from.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I definitely don’t plan on buying much new stuff. Maybe a cat tree and a new bedside table, mine is broken. That will probably all come from the Habitat store though. We’re function over form as far as decoration goes.

I’d like to get rid of our crappy uncomfortable couch if the roommates have one. We’ve also got a rolling dishwasher, I’ll ask our neighbor to ask the new tenants if they want to buy it from us.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Kind of mentioned before, but remember moving is an excellent excuse to shed stuff that you don’t and won’t actually use. I mean the little stuff (e.g. older clothes, decorations, books, kitchen utensils etc.), not necessarily furniture.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Kind of mentioned before, but remember moving is an excellent excuse to shed stuff that you don’t and won’t actually use. I mean the little stuff (e.g. older clothes, decorations, books, kitchen utensils etc.), not necessarily furniture.
Seconding this. The fewer knicknacks you have to move, the faster, easier, and cheaper moving will be.

If you're willing to have a box still lurking in a closet or something, leave one with stuff you haven't needed to unpack yet and see what's left in it after 6 months/a year/whatever. Pretty much everything in it is poo poo You Don't Need and can be sold, donated, or thrown out. (Exceptions for things that you justifiably rarely use & would be expensive to replace, like formalwear)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The landlord sent my wife a nastygram about the state of the property. I left her a voicemail telling her that half of it was because of cheapass shoddy repairs that broke within six months of us moving in that I will probably do better myself before move-out, and that the other thing (the lawn) is in better shape than when we moved in. I also told her never to speak to my wife like she did on Monday again. That felt good.

It’s like short-timers except for housing instead of work. Next weekend we’ll be able to move, so I don’t have to give a poo poo.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The landlord sent my wife a nastygram about the state of the property. I left her a voicemail telling her that half of it was because of cheapass shoddy repairs that broke within six months of us moving in that I will probably do better myself before move-out, and that the other thing (the lawn) is in better shape than when we moved in. I also told her never to speak to my wife like she did on Monday again. That felt good.

It’s like short-timers except for housing instead of work. Next weekend we’ll be able to move, so I don’t have to give a poo poo.

Your landlord is going to definitely keep your entire security deposit, I wouldn't bother fixing anything unless you feel like suing her to get it back. I would take about 200 photos of the place before I left in case she tried to sue me for me, too. Hopefully you did the same thing before you moved in.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Droo posted:

Hopefully you did the same thing before you moved in.

This is the really important bit. If you do not have this it is going to be difficult to argue.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Went to see a potential roommate and I think we have a winner. He also has a friend that was going to come to talk with us about the second room, but had to work. So we'll Skype call with him and if he works out too that will be the rooms filled in less than a week.

I'm almost certainly hiring movers. I've thought about it, and while I hate to spend the extra money, I think it's going to be a good thing in terms of the stress from the move. $80-100 or whatever it is extra to not have fights during the process is worth it. That will also save me energy to do other crap since I don't have to load and unload everything. I just need to get some quotes.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

If you don't hire movers, or even if you do, you should also look into renting plastic moving boxes - they're hard sided and they stack perfectly without shifting or sliding, and they make the process of packing go faster (because you don't have to tape anything and don't have to fill all the boxes to capacity since they won't crush if the top is a little empty) and they make moving go faster (since they're very easy to load).

Congrats on the new place and on finding roommates so quickly! It's great that things are looking up for you :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been getting a bunch of shipping boxes from the IT hardware people at work so I’ve been packing with those.

The first quote I got was $675-950 for my apartment, inventoried, with 1 hour of travel. I don’t even have any appliances coming other than a microwave. It’s an 800 square foot 1 Bedroom. That’s not happening. I’m going to get some other quotes, and after that I’m either leaning on the old pizza and beer bribe or hiring some people at each end to help load and unload.

I’ll assign my wife to help with the organizing and being there for utility cutover and internet installation and handling the pets so she doesn’t have to get stressed out by the physical moving.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The first quote I got was $675-950 for my apartment, inventoried, with 1 hour of travel. I don’t even have any appliances coming other than a microwave. It’s an 800 square foot 1 Bedroom. That’s not happening.

Check with the movers if they do an hourly rate. In a previous life the company I worked at charged $110 per hour for a truck and two guys minimum 3 hours, and we were expensive. This assumed that you'd packed everything yourself and they were just hear to lump it. Insurance of course cost extra.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I’m reading this right they’re saying 4.5-6 hours at $135/hr. No travel fees, but yeah, that sounds high.

They also gave a weight estimate that seemed really high, although I bet they assume people forget poo poo, that kind of thing.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Friends, all you can eat pizza and beer goes a long way.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I’m reading this right they’re saying 4.5-6 hours at $135/hr. No travel fees, but yeah, that sounds high.
The hourly rate doesn’t surprise me since it’d be two or more probably three guys. $50/hr/person is not uncommon in my limited experience.

The 5-6 hours seems too high for just moving (unless you’re moving a couple hours away) and too low for packing+moving.

But yeah, you’re not going to get cheaper than pizza and beer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s 2 people, about 1 hour away.

I’m willing to pay somewhat extra to not have to deal with the stress, but not that much extra. I’m going to get some other quotes.

The last two times we moved caused my wife some trouble. Maybe I should just convince her to take the pets somewhere so they aren’t underfoot while moving heavy stuff. She’s not really strong enough to help with the moving, anyway. She can pack and unpack, but she can’t handle maybe 80% of the boxes. Her back is messed up in multiple ways.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
That is a super expensive quote. I paid something like $350 a few years ago to move our stuff from a one bedroom apartment (of a similar size) back to my parents' place for storage. It was minimum 3 hour booking, we boxed everything before hand, then 2 guys rocked up and put everything in a truck, drove it to the destination, then put all the boxes in the places we directed them to. It literally took them maybe 90 mins, they were so fast.

Either you guys have a lot of stuff, or much of your stuff is difficult to move (piano? large furniture? fragile stuff?), or they misquoted. I'd ring them up to verify, especially after you get some more quotes in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a quote for $240-360 from another place. Waiting to hear back from a bunch of other places, but that’s much more in line with what I’m thinking.

I just realized that since I have a basement now I could put together a bench, power cage, and weight set as funds permit. It would take a while, but it would be nice to be able to do a full routine at home.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That quote sounds way more reasonable. The first quote was highway robbery.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just realized that since I have a basement now I could put together a bench, power cage, and weight set as funds permit. It would take a while, but it would be nice to be able to do a full routine at home.
Protip: Be on the lookout for free/cheap workout equipment after next January passes and people realize they're too :effort: to stick to their resolutions.

You probably won't get a full set of equipment that way, but it's better than nothing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I emailed them as soon as I was out of my morning meetings and they were already booked :negative:

I checked to see if they are available on the 15th since Fridays are probably less busy, but that’s a real long shot. I could have my wife pick up the keys and they would show up to unload that same afternoon.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got a quote for $240-360 from another place. Waiting to hear back from a bunch of other places, but that’s much more in line with what I’m thinking.
That is the right ballpark. If they are booked out and another place comes in around this price, just book it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Haifisch posted:

Protip: Be on the lookout for free/cheap workout equipment after next January passes and people realize they're too :effort: to stick to their resolutions.

You probably won't get a full set of equipment that way, but it's better than nothing.

In addition to Craigslist, try Freecycle and Facebook Marketplace (and the Facebook buy/sell groups for your area). If you set up alerts for stuff you want, good deals do pop up from time to time.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Not sure if you’ve found someone yet, but maybe also try Groupon. That’s what I did when I moved last year and it saved me a little bit of money. There’s actually a groupon for the guys I used still there:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/stallion-moving-services-2-5

I used them on the recommendation of a friend who had just moved, and they did a great job for both of us. Not sure if they do Longmont or just Denver, but maybe look around Groupon if they don’t. So, so glad you guys are getting out of your current living situation!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We found another place that will probably be more like $370-400. More expensive, but still not absolutely terrible.

The landlords came by today with a letter saying they weren’t going to renew the lease, and that after the lease expires we can stay through July 15th but they will need 1/2 a month’s rent. I didn’t keep a good poker face. Not sure if they twigged to the fact that we’re already moving out. And they aren’t getting 1/2 a month rent because we’ll be long gone by then.

I didn’t sign anything agreeing to the staying through the 15th or paying an extra half month rent, so they can pound sand.

Tomorrow I pick up the keys and drop off a carload of stuff that wouldn’t pack well in a truck. Then 9AM Saturday the movers get here. I’ll probably spend most of next weekend fixing up a bit of damage, mopping, scrubbing everything down, and then I’ll ask when she wants to do the walkthrough.

I’ve started recording our conversations with the iPhone Voice Memos (CO is a one party consent to record state) just in case anything comes up that would reflect badly on them.

Basically I’m prepared to be a complete rear end in a top hat to them.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What about your security deposit and stuff? How you intend to sort that out?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

John Smith posted:

What about your security deposit and stuff? How you intend to sort that out?

If the lady is as crazy as she sounds he's going to have to sue her for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Quite possibly. On the other hand the racist old woman is probably not expecting the black woman to have a rich white dad, who is also extremely intimidating and takes it very personally when his children are treated like that. Hopefully we can meet with her and mention the phrases “treble damages” and “reimbursement of lawyer fees” and she’ll back down at least to a point we’re okay with.

I’m going to do the walkthrough of the new place tonight. Thorough iPhone videos organized by section of room and saved to Google Drive.

Comcast told me there’s no transfer fee if I install everything myself, so I’ll have a decent connection until Longmont installs the gigabit connection.

I’m excited and nervous, and will be buying booze on the way home tonight. I’m planning on breaking down the table and recliner tonight, and I’ll probably take the bedroom door off the hinges to make it easy on the movers too.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Quite possibly. On the other hand the racist old woman is probably not expecting the black woman to have a rich white dad
Huh? If you are Black, then why did the racist rented to you? Isn't this the thread where you mentioned she specifically tried to turn away some Black applicants?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's kinds of racist that don't wear hoods. Like the kind that realizes money spends the same way no matter what color hand it comes from.

And no, you're thinking of a different thread.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How much money is this going to be over?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hard to say. Deposit was $895, treble damages brings that up to $2685, but they have a viable claim about a door that was already screwed up but I didn’t notice at move-in and my wife slipped and fell and made it worse.

Upon cleaning up small crap today we realized there was a dead mouse on the floor. Dessicated, hard to the touch. :barf:

It had been under furniture, which is presumably why it hadn’t been smelling the place up before.

E: Moved the fridge to thaw out the freezer and check for more mice. 2 more, dead at least as long. A ton of droppings. Took them out to the trash ASAP to avoid stinking up the place even more. :barf::barf:

In non-:barf: news, when I was over at my in-laws I saw they were throwing out their weight set, and they told me I could have whatever I wanted from it. One Olympic bar and a set of 25, 35, and 45 plates obtained for free. They had a rack, but it was one of those with just a small shelf for the bar, and I don't feel comfortable doing bench in a basement by myself without safeties to prevent my ribcage from being crushed if I fail a rep. That's one of my only weightlifting fears, because that's one of the main ways people actually get seriously injured.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 24, 2018

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Checking in! How are you guys doing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dealing with a decent amount of depression, spending too much on delivery, but still have more than I expected saved after the move. I’m barely filling up my tank once a week, if that.

We need to get out more. We went for a short walk downtown yesterday after it cooled off and it was nice.

I’m also really wanting to get some small plates and a power cage for the weight set my in-laws are giving me. I have space to lift in the basement now. I think I might have mentioned that. Cages are expensive, though. I think maybe for now I should stick with dumbbell bench. I just don’t want to barbell bench without safeties. That’s the most common lift for people to get hurt on. And my wife would struggle to even get the bar off me, let alone one loaded with weights.

I think I might be able to move to a job making a lot (20k+) more if I do a home project and look a while. So I definitely want to do that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's summer in Colorado.

Get the gently caress ouuuutttsiiiiddddeeeeeeeee and it's free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Dumbbell lifting is good for core stabilization. I don't have room for a cage at home - and my employer only will get us a Smith and I don't approve of those - so I use a bench and dumbbells.

But you lifting doesn't get your wife exercising, and walking/hiking is a great activity. Get at it! (I can't say poo poo, my lab is upset with how much we haven't been going out.)

• Locked thread