Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Are y'all in therapy for your mental issues? If not you should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Both of you should be in therapy. It will help you make progress towards your financial and non-financial goals.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are free.

edit: suggesting hockey is stupid, ice time fees are insane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Used winter equipment is readily available and is quite cheap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can get a set of cross country skis for like a hundred bucks and at least where I live there's plenty of free state land to go ski on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

People skiing on groomed trails are cowards or suburban fuckfaces, and if you live in Colorado you probably have enough gear to get by initially because you like, go outside in the winter occasionally.

Seriously, I cross-country skiied for years and years while spending ~50 on some tolerable snowpants and ~50 on old lovely skis and poles. Sure, you can make it expensive, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think driving for Uber is a great idea considering the massive potential insurance liability that exists. There are better ways to make spare money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wait for real? Where?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey, popped back over from your BFC posts.

Man, you really need to stick to that budget. Just "We've been bad!" isn't helpful - you can't out-earn your problem if you aren't disciplined about your expenses. Don't move and don't buy a new car UNTIL you have some cash on hand to cover down payment or some of your moving costs. Sure, 2,400 miles per week is expensive but moving is very expensive and buying a new car is extremely expensive.

Can you break down your current budget?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The wok thing is symptomatic. You find a way to "save money" but the first step is always spend money on something to enable the savings. Your theoretical new car purchase is another good example.

The easiest way to save money is not to spend it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey, I got no problem if you can truly justify buying a wok. The exercise you're going through right now is very useful for all sorts of purchases. You may end up being able to justify the purchase quite easily!

I usually ask myself:

1. Do I legitimately need this specific item (for safety, survival, etc) or not? For a wok, the answer is no.
2. If I don't need the item, is there another item that I already own that I can use? I would argue that I have a decent size frying pan with curved up sides (it's a lovely Anglo wok), so I'd probably stop at this point. But let's pretend that I don't have it.
3. If I don't have another item that I already own that I can use, is there an alternative to the original item that is cheaper or more versatile? Is there another pan that works? Could I buy a more versatile large frying pan to use? etc etc
4. If the only solution is the item I originally identified, is there a way to get it cheaper? I would immediately head to Chinatown and visit my friends there. Browse the internet, look at Goodwill, whatever.
5. How much will I need to do the activity to make the purchase pay off? If the wok costs $20, I don't just need to use it once because my normal Chinese food order costs $20. Account for ingredients and paying yourself some nominal amount for your time. Figure that each time you use the wok you actually save $4, so you'll need to make stir fry at least five times.
6. How much will I actually do the activity, and how can I hold myself accountable? who knows, maybe declare Stir Friday or some poo poo to keep yourself accountable.

I'm an AI/BFC person only at this point so I don't really know bout your phones.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

And you still can't call up three grand and were trying to do some stupid shell game about your green car rebate. It's great you are making more money but you're still about six inches from disaster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

That seems excessive. Why do they need first and last month's rent on top of a deposit? Check your local laws, that might be against the law.

First, last, security is pretty standard practice in Greater Boston.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you really need to figure out why you got put on a PIP when you thought you were doing well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't forget the amount of effort to part out a car!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Post a bunch of accident pictures for me to decide!!!

(I have a background in collision repair so I can tell you if you're loving insane or not)

(you're probably insane)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that amount of suspension damage can give you some minor damage in the unibody and subframe. did they put it on a bench?

i would not have bought the vehicle back unless i had a bench readout that said there was no damage to the unibody.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the car thing is a loving asinine idea

you and your buddy could drink beer and bullshit literally anywhere else and it would be way better with money

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You're going to need to alter her emotional patterns so that she has a similar positive reaction to debt reduction - only just pretend it doesn't sound so sinister. Based on your most recent post you probably need a comprehensive net worth tracker (aka spreadsheet) where you can post up your assets and liabilities and make cool graphs. If you have something where you can show net effects that will probably help. if you want to get all fancy you could do some what if analysis since you know rates of return and help her figure out what the emotional aspect is costing her in real terms.

I am "fortunate" in that I am ragingly debt averse so I have basically the opposite problem of your wife - this will be a lot harder when my wife and I have to buy a house.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nah she has no financial education because she doesn't want to learn

12 month mark is common for feeling like you hit a wall at a job so don't feel too bad about that. You definitely need to move, like right loving now, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If she is scared of driving and doesn't do well with situations out of her comfort zone what the gently caress is she doing delivering poo poo as part of the retarded Gig Economy?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

total tangent but I am going to murder the gently caress out of people who say "in this economy" what the gently caress are they going to do in the next honest to god recession

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i would chill out, maybe spend some quality time with ya wife

you don't need to fill every second of every day with projects

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

watch less netflix just spitballin here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nice hope it works out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just walk outside and be hot, come home and take a nice shower

i agree with the people who say that pretty much inevitably you come up with reasons to not do poo poo

• Locked thread