Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sidewalk gum posted:

Err, phrasing?

Glad it's not just me that was confused/concerned by that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Most adult conversations recently depress me as there is always someone talking up the steaming heap of poo poo that is 'brexit'.

"Now, I'm not racist, but....."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

stump posted:

I've heard only good things about Westworld, will have to watch it soon.

Watched asap else face a real risk of spoilers from all kinds of media.

Even the headlines can give away plot points, selfish assholes.

"Wow! Amazing scene on S6 of The Walking Death, we discuss what N*** does in that scene"

<thinks> I'm still on S2. Great, now when we come across N***, I am going to know that he survives to at least S6. So much for any cliffhanger where he might die in S5 or earlier.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

Hello internets, im drinking beer for breakfast, playing hookie from work to pet my dog. That means I have either gone completely off the reservation or been told I'm free of cancer.

Answer: it's both.

This awesome, I am going to get drunk in celebration.

InitialDave posted:

In perhaps better political news, it looks the there will probably need to be a parliamentary debate before the UK can trigger article 50 to leave the EU.

Time for everyone to start leaning heavily on their MPs.

This awesome, I am going to get drunk in celebration.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Spog, my Phantom did indeed turn up, appears to be genuine, new, and in a sealed box. Came with a separate UK plugged figure 8 lead, so I assume it originated from foreign or ex-works sources, but as far as I'm aware they're all the same regardless of country.

I got it from https://www.techinthebasket.com, who interestingly enough seem to be the ones with them up on Amazon at £410 (I paid £375).

They said "1 in stock" when I ordered, then it vanished from their site, and now it's back up - again, 1 in stock. Suspect they're drop shipping from elsewhere.

Cools, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I had a sudden fear that this might be a flash-in-the-pan hobby for me, so I bought one of these cheapie Symas to see if I play with it for more than a week. At least I know that the P3S is going to always be suitable, if I decide to buy at a later date.

Looking forward to seeing your footage. The 'follow me' feature seems potentially a lot of fun for drivers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

scuz posted:

(sadbrains post ahead)

Furnace update: I hosed up in the most basic way possible and now I'm a real-life Charlie Brown. I didn't do any research on which company to use, just used a company that has a good local presence and does good work, didn't realize I'd be spending so much on it. Now that I'm doing research (way after the cows left the barn) I can see that I've spent not-quite double what another company would ask for the same work. I'm completely hosed. My girlfriend is furious at me for spending all that money and everyone thinks I'm a dolt, including myself. All I had to do was not panic and do any research at all and I would have saved a ton of money that I don't really have. Now I get to make the call to cancel our satellite TV (which, honestly, is fine by me since it's so expensive) and try to convince my girlfriend not to dump my rear end because she trusted me to get this done and it went 100% pear-shaped. Went to bed last night and when I woke up it was horrible since my lovely decisions still exist and she's still mad.

:smith:

Don't underestimate the value of getting something done correctly by a good company.

There will always be someone cheaper. But 2 years down the line when the house falls down or you die of CO poisoning, you'd regret not going for the good company.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

Yeah, there is real value to using a reputable company and it's worth extra for some piece of mind. That said, 2x sounds fishy though if they are literally the exact same thing. Is the other company quoting the exact same brand/model of furnace? Any accessories?

Something has to be different or the other company bids super low to get the job and then SURPRISE WE FOUND THIS OUT AS WE'RE INSTALLING IT AND IT'S GOING TO BE $$RAPE$$ EXTRA. SORRY!

Oh yeah, this too.

Reputable companies don't charge 2x the market price. they quote the market price (plus maybe a little bit more)

poo poo companies quote half the market price and then either find lots of extra charges to stick on you, or install the whole thing with string and glue.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

scuz posted:

I should also point out that the install comes with a bumper-to-bumper 7 year warranty so anything that goes wrong or whatever is covered. The lowest price I could find wasn't a direct quote from a company, but it was the same brand and the price to buy the furnace and get it installed was about 2/3s of what I paid.

Hang on: your lowest quote was 2/3rds of what you actually paid? i.e. you only paid 50% more than the cheapest price you could find, not double.

And it wasn't even a real quote?

I'll bet that if you got a real like-for-like quote, you have paid less than 20% more than any other quote from a real company and I'll bet they wouldn't have the same reputation for quality work or a 7 year warranty that they stand behind.

I don't think you hosed up here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ola posted:

Is it possible to look up a ca in the UK knowing only its vanity plate? I tried looking up here https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ but it only wants the valid format. I don't quite understand how UK vanity plates work, is there another plate number that is the official one?

Should work, assuming that Os aren't actually 0s, etc

spog
Aug 7, 2004

freelop posted:

Phew it was poo poo being made fun of for brexit, thanks for taking the heat off us America

I genuinely feel a bit better about Brexit now.

We were dumb. But you guys are duuuuumb.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Maybe he would rather discuss it with his good friends in the AI chat thread instead of d&d where the conversation frequently becomes derailed by in depth analysis of the pros and cons of different antidepressants

I like talking to you guys about all kinds of things because you are all vaguely intelligent and able to have a discussion without throwing tantrums.

Most of the time, anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also, I'm going to set a new sobriety date of 11/11. Sick of the grip alcohol has on me. And I was back to being physically addicted again. Found a doctor willing to work with me without hospitalizing me to get me through the withdrawal (though I did get booted to the ER for a bit because of my blood pressure and dehydration). Blood work actually wasn't bad, aside from elevated liver counts.

You know that you can pm practically anyone who posts in this thread and they will give you moral support at any time of the day.

We are all rooting for you - you aren't facing this alone, even if this little support group consists entirely of pants-shitters, loonies, car nuts, shut-ins or people smelling a little too strongly of WD40.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

So we had some fun as this election bullshit was going on.

Getting ready for bed and hear a couple hard bangs, SMASH. Mrs. Slidebite looked out the window and yelled for me, I flew up the stairs and couldn't find her. Grabbed some clothes (I was getting ready for bed of course) and ran back in and said to call 911 repeating a plate number.

Turns out some fuckhead pulled up next to my company truck on the side of my house and smashed both front and back windows. Mrs. went outside, yelled at him, ran behind his car to get his plate, and he threw it in reverse trying to run her over. By this time 3 other neighbors were outside watching this. She jumped out of the way so she's fine.

BUT, instead of taking off, went 40' around the corner and tried to do the same thing to a neighbors car.. with my neighbors plainly watching. Took out his hatchet and started wailing on it with the handle side (??). Other neighbor from across the street yelled at him and came running over, fuckhead tried to back over him too and then took off.

End of the night and several 911 calls later, cops came by, statements taken and got some info. It looks like this guy started doing this in a totally different section of town about half hour earlier and spread to the other end of town. The cop that took our statement said something like 40 people were hit and it sounded like there was another cop doing a different bunch. Supposedly they had the guy and we'll find out more today, supposedly though my truck was the last one. I'll post a couple pics and more info later.

Jesus what a clusterfuck last night was.

Ever get any resolution to this?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cage posted:

Probably. I noticed it as soon as I got home so I went up to him while my dad was taking the garbage out and told him if he gave me the money back right then that I wouldn't tell our father. He said he didn't have it anymore.While we were gone for an hour or so he went in my room, stole the money, and then had one of his buddies deliver some heroin to him. After talking it over with my sister she said and I agreed that keeping it a secret wouldn't help anything, so I told my dad. He got mad, but my mom flipped out on him when she got home from work. Told him to get out multiple times, but after arguing for a while I guess she calmed down a bit because hes still here. I hid in my bedroom when she started yelling because I am not good with that stuff. Feel hurt and betrayed but also I can't help feeling bad for ratting.

Absolutely the right thing to do: at the very least, your parents have a right to know what is going on under their roof, especially if your dipshit bro is having heroin delivered there in 30mins or less.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cage posted:

He was this close to going to jail before. Probation officer came by and found drug paraphernalia in his room which was grounds to be thrown in jail. They had him in handcuffs but he was able to plead his way out. "Ohh you cant take me this will be so hard on my parents Im afraid my dad will have a heart attack blah blah blah"

Hes 36 and is incapable of learning lessons.

He's 36!?

I thought this was the youthful stupidity of a 17-year old.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Your parents need to cut him

spog
Aug 7, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Just researching it I get the feeling that the main issues alot of these guys have is that they've never owned a 2 stroke vehicle before and was stuff I went through with my kart that now would be trivial to deal with. It does tick alot of my boxes for cars I want, so I'm curious at this point.

The main issue is not the mechanical skills of the owners, it is that they are utter shite.

Compressed cardboard shite. The owners of Trabants looked up to Lada owners with envy. Think about that.

Actually, a Lada is probably a decent winter car, given that is was designed to work in Siberia and if Russian dashcams are accurate, you can just drive around the icy roads without a care in the world as they will bounce off anything they hit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bend posted:

gently caress this month, mate of mine tried to kill himself last week. He's in a psyche ward now and hopefully getting his head together, but that and everything else the last couple of months jusdt gently caress it, I don't know ehat the gently caress to do any more, I'm going to get another loving beer

On the plus side: he didn't kill himself and he is now getting treatment. So that's sort of positive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

sidewalk gum posted:

AI chat thread is the best part of the internet bar none.

Even better than that part of the internet where you can see naked ladies?

Cause that bit is pretty awesome.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bend posted:

Could be, I can never quite figure out Iif I'm aspologising for having feelings or for dumping them on other people when I get overwhelmed. sorry about the typos by the way for those that care I might be a little bit pissed I think.
I generally do alright talking about things up to a point and the just sort of crash and dump poo poo everywhere and end up apologigsing

You don't need to apologise to us.

We've all been there and it is a tough time. Your ego takes a constant battering.

But, and this is a big but, it shows that you care about her, that you are a strong partner and a Good Man. so, pat on your back from me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hope she gets through the pain.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

Is it too early to start the gently caress 2016 train?

I think we have good justification to do so.

Anyone had any good news this year?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Dagen H posted:

*posts a Craigslist ad looking for a youth-size ATV, "NO CHINESE JUNK!"*

Can you guess what happens next?

An Asian man sent you a picture of his penis?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Our other security guard wandered onto the property late last while I was working drunk as hell, in the lobby babbling incoherently to the front desk worker, and bleeding all over because he apparently fell or got into a fight. I suggested he go home and he got combative, telling me to go ahead and call the cops. But I know better, and have dealt with drunks for way too long, and if he sees me call the cops he's going to go off the deep and and who knows how long I'd have to deal with him before they got there, so I just talked him into getting into my car and drove his dumbass home the whole time enduring his stupid loving insults and trying to get him out of my car once I got him there. Love my job.

Should have driven him into the middle of the countryside and dumped him there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

the spyder posted:

I've given up on both eBay and Craigslist. It's all junk now.

I find ebay a valuable tool.

Mostly for checking whether the 'sale' prices on Amazon are actually cheaper than ebay's standard prices ot they've done their usual trick of bumping the price up 40%, so they can discount it 30%

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

I was just researching that exact problem with my lovely GE dishwasher last night. Model PDT750SSF1SS, parts diagrams here: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/assembly/PDT750SSF1SS

And I'll be hosed if I can find the heater or thermostat anywhere in those parts diagrams. :mad:

You don't have a heater, you use your home hot water:

https://www.myapstore.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=31-31546.pdf

EDIT: and it looks like heated air drying is only a feature on some models.

spog fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 18, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

I disagree. From the specs here: http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/PDT760SSFSS

it specs a "Calrod Heater Watts 1000" watts, with a "Hidden Heater"

Plus, it used to have the entire countertop warm the next morning because the Sanitize dry (160* would be pretty impossible with 140* incoming water and no heater) would be so hot and it's pretty well insulated. Now, it's dead cold by morning.

There's a heater, it's not heating, and I can't find the fucker... I could take it apart and track the higher-gauge wire, but I'd rather just find it, get the part and replace it at one time.

Edit: haha, getting closer: http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=17728
Sure yours is a model with 'heated dry' and not 'powered dry'?

EDIT:
The PDT720SSH5SS has a hidden element just under the sump:
https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/ModelSectionParts/PDT720SSH5SS/2/0/0/0/BODY_PARTS

spog fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 18, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Mine says "Power Dry." Since it is nowhere on the parts list, and there has to be some mechanism to heat the water, I'm guessing they integrated the heater into something dumb like the pump unit, so it would be a "replace unit if this part fails" situation.

Edit: Nope, looks like even the most expensive parts are cheap on ebay... so I just need to find the loving heater.

I am wasting far too much time on your project - I must be feeling helpful today...

I am really dubious that you have a separate heater in your model: if you look at the parts-diagram for the other models, they show the separate element and called it 'heated dry'.
It seems unlikely that they'd miss out an entire set of heating components on your diagram, yet include them in other models' diagrams

They share the same pump across models, so that can't have a hidden heater in it.

I'd be looking at your hot water supply and whether you actually get hot (not warm) water to the machine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

I appreciate the help.

The Cafe model looks nearly identical : https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/assembly/CDT765SSF1SS

And the Cafe specs also list a 1000w hidden heater.

The water is hot. 145* at the unit. It's not hot after the cycle anymore. It has a 160* sanitize cycle. I don't know how it cannot have a heater. Stupid GE.

Edit: maybe I need to look at the vent in the door. There's a fan inside the door to circulate air...

The CDT765 in on the picture I posted and it has a 'heated dry' option that yours does not.

My dad's advice for any situation that makes you scratch your head is to stop and have a slow, logical think about the problem and possible solutions:

1) You have a super-secret heater that doesn't appear on the parts diagram, nor does it appear to be a replacement part that you can buy on the internet, despite this being one of the most popular dishwashers out there
Unlikely

2) The water supply is too cold
You've tested this and it is warm enough (and presumably, doesn't need to be run to get hot)

3) The pump isn't pushing the hot water around the dishwasher
Unlikely, else you'd be complaining about dirty dishes

4) You've accidentally changed a washing drying/feature so it doesn't use the hot water properly
hmm

5) The logic system is screwed and it's not running a correct cycle
New logic board

Have you double checked 4 - it's not really something stupid like you've changed a setting you don't normally alter and haven't noticed, have you?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

[Insert comment about Scotland/Ireland/Wales/England]

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The wife is going to get her passport, and depending on how the next year goes, I'm going to apply for a German visa.

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Jeff Sessions is Trump's pick for Attorney General:

Ich hoffe, dass Sie in Ihrem neuen Land glücklich sein werden.

I hope you will be happy in your new country.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Mother.

Fucker.

Holy loving poo poo. I am genuinely speechless.

What this thing designed by the 1995 Toyota rally team?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Here's something hosed up: my dad got a bill for $1.3mil for my mothers 6 week stint in ICU and the three surgeries she had

They forgot to bill it to insurance but still how the gently caress can they justify that number

Medical insurance people wear top hats and twirl long moustaches.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh you saw this too?

From GIP:

suboptimal posted:

So if you had to guess which Z-list washed-up pseudocelebrity porn star crawled out of the woodwork to attend the no-loving-poo poo white nationalist National Policy Institute conference in DC, and then proudly posted a picture of herself flashing a Nazi salute, who would it be?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

when I think of white supremacy, I think Thien Thanh Thi Nguyen

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Black Friday is still a novelty for us Brits and we don't quite understand how to do it.

I don't need anything, but let's check out a few sites and see what is on offer. Maybe there is a headline bargain that I could snag (perhaps buy yet another entire socket set, just for the purpose of getting a single socket)

Amazon has 230 pages of Black Friday bargains.

Let's see what they decide should be on the very first page to draw people in with excitement and desire:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Now this is going to sounds really loving snooty but this gif is pretty much represents Asda shoppers as they normally are. If I ever feel like I don't hate people enough I'll go shop in Asda, I'm not sure why but it seems to attract the most inconsiderate, rude, scummy fuckers around. Every single time I have a lovely half an hour shopping it's in an Asda store. Someone should do a study on it, it's loving bizarre.

I agree it's odd. You expect Aldi and Lidl to be where the worst of humanity shops; purely because they offer very low-priced alcohol, yet mostly the shoppers are well-behaved.

EDIT: I suppose it's because these days, alcoholics are pretty quiet, when compared to over-entitled, wobbly mums and their uncontrolled kids.

Like the ones who shop at Iceland.

spog fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 25, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I am kind of tempted by the PS4 with MW2 bundle.

Then I remember that I have both a PS3 and a 360 with the original MW2, so what's the point?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Did anyone mention that there's a new Project Binky? Because there's a new Project Binky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4NXA_vNWs

One of the best ones so far, IMHO.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Let's not forget that nearly every automotive webforum is populated by twatwaffles of the highest order, or tedious old bores. I expect this new place to go the same way.

We've got it very good here, but we are definitely the exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

First frost of the year and my rear window heater decides to stop working.

• Locked thread