Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Players
Nicolas Thomian (Little Mac)
Karock Sealson (100yrs)
Thrag Ogretooth (derp)
Krunge (Jimson)
Grogan (bowmore)

On Deck
Gliff Whitehand (Somber)
Aarom (Taste)
Maggie gallant (Tomm)
Dolthar of the Valley People (Mags)

Rules Posts
Character Creation #1
Character Creation #2 With a quick explanation of Backgrounds, Skills, and Weapon proficiency
Explanation of Luck
Weapons

You’re just a normal man or woman, suddenly caught up into a bizarre, unpredictable, and dangerous situation.

What is this?

Welcome to my D&D-like game. I've been working on this for a little while, it's my personal effort to make a game I like with my favourite parts of all 5 main editions of the role playing game that started it all. The main goal of the game is to be simple to understand and quick to play. I actually started this after running a 1st edition game for some friends on a rainy day at a cottage. I really liked some of the things in the classic game and was interested in making a game that could have that experience, while also taking some more modern hints. There's some of my own fuckery in here as well. A lot of my decisions were made based on stripping away mechanics to what I thought were the bare essentials and then adding back in the things I felt deserved it. This is a process that's still not quite done really, but I want to see how different things play out.

How is this different than Dungeons of Dragons?

There's a lot of little things going on here, but the only thing that I think really stands out is the way levels and classes work. In this game, you don't pick your class. You start out as a commoner, and every time you level up you get a new class based on how you've played your character. If you really want to be a fighter or whatever, you can also just explicitly say that off the bat and I'm not going to be a dick about it.

To rephrase that, at no point in this game will you be a level 5 wizard. You might start as a commoner, level into an adept and then progress to a wizard. If you don't die you might become a mage.

There's three main reasons I did this. The first is that a lot of rpg's balance issues stem from leveling systems, the second is that this is a pretty good way to slowly introduce mechanics to a player and the third is that I just find this type of leveling system really fun.

Am I going to have to read a lot of rules to play this?

Ideally not! The idea going in is that you might know nothing about this game or any roleplaying game, but as long as you tell me what you want to do I'll make it work. Rather than just dumping the rulebook on you right at the start, I'll be piecing it out at the relevant parts of the game. By design, it should be a slow burn through the mechanics. For most of the game though, you can probably get through by just being like "I want to do this" and rolling some D20s

Why have you written this in a way that seems like I'm asking questions I didn't really ask?
:slick:

How seriously are we going to be taking the roleplay here?
Not very, I mean like, do it to your heart's content but the tone I'm going for is chill, so if you just want to cruise through a dungeon that's fine.

Can I be an rear end in a top hat and try to gently caress up the game you've put a lot of effort into?
I mean... I guess...

Am I going to die in this game?

Probably. That was one of things I liked about first edition actually.

I signed up in the other thread, do I have spot reserved?

Nah

How will we be playing?

I think http://orokos.com/ is usually used to track dice rolls. Join that so I know you're not cheating, also don't cheat.

Are there any basic nerd terms that I need to know to play this game?

Sometimes my head gets a little far up my rear end so I take for granted some rpg shorthand stuff. Don't be afraid to ask if I say something that doesn't make sense.

This link has the most basic things to know in a game like this. Most important is the dice notation.

What sort of scenario are we playing?

I'm playing a first edition campaign that heavily inspired this whole goddamn thing. It's pretty easy to find online and though I am making changes to it, I'd ask you not to investigate it since that would sort of spoil the fun. If you've already played it or read it, just play coy.

Hey wait, aren't you a huge flake?
Yeah totally. There's a decent chance this will sputter out at some point, especially if the mechanics of this game don't work out or if people suddenly stop playing or something.

Anything I need to know about this world before we start playing?

Here's the background text from the module:

quote:

Your character is from the Korinn Archipelago, a peaceful trading and fishing area, a string of islands extending far out into the western sea.

The Archipelago contains hundreds of islands, some enormous, some too small to see on the map. And you do have a map, which the Dungeon Master will give you — not that you need it, you know the waters by heart.

The area, which was sparsely inhabited in times past, was settled about a hundred years ago by colonists from far to the south. They were led by a great seaman named Viledel. Viledel, never the subtlest of men, made as his base one of the westernmost of the Islands, in the area most thickly prowled by pirates and corsairs, and began his campaign of smashing piracy wherever he found it. His followers set up settlements and quickly spread further and further west, into the larger islands closer to civilized nations.

Viledel, who was known as the Sea King throughout his life, died 60 years ago when a pirate raid crushed his island defenses and overran his home. Since then, the archipelago has had no central government, but has broken into a hundred petty island nations. Most islands and cities get along quite well, knowing the advantages to be gained through peaceful trade.

Piracy has increased in the last 60 years. concentrated in the westernmost of the chain’s islands, but pirates no longer rule the seas. They prey upon the merchants like parasites instead of sharks. However, the further west you sail, the greater the risk is of running into pirate ships, and some particularly bold buccaneers sail deep into civilized eastern areas for the rich pickings there. Your character is from the Archipelago, from whichever island you choose, a worker in whichever profession you rolled or decided upon.

If you have any detailed questions about life in the archipelago, ask the Dungeon Master — after he’s had time to read his own information on the Korinn area.

And here's that map:

The module has some more information about the archipelago in general and some of those islands specifically, if there's anything you want to know just ask.

There's one more thing I'll give you right now, and it's the flavour text at the beginning of the adventure:

quote:

Separately and collectively, you'’ve all fallen into the hands of pirate slavers.

Most of you remember it this way: You were walking in the countryside near your homes, strolling home from the tavern after a night’s drinking, walking down to the river to fetch some water, or gone to visit some lass or lad in neighboring village. And, suddenly, you heard a thrashing in the underbrush around you, and before you could turn you felt a whale of a blow to the back of your head, and everything went black.

Uh, you can be more or less specific than that if you want.

How do I make my character?

Here's what I need you from you right now:

1) Character name
2) Are you a Human, Dwarf, Elf or Orc
3) Roll 2d6 and tell me your result on this table
4) Tell me how you ended up as a slave on this slave ship you're on right now, or tell me what your life was like last week when you weren't a slave

The result on the table is your background, it's what you did before getting thrust into adventure.

Often, people like to link a picture that they find representative of their characters, any source is fine. You can use a pic of Ryan Gosling for all I care.

:siren: When I'm ready to start I'm going to do a random draw for 5 players and anybody who didn't make it in will be a sub for if somebody dies. This Module is written with the assumption that a bunch of characters are going to die and has ways to bring new characters into the fold so look forward to that.

After we get our first party, I'll drop the rest of the character creation stuff. It's probably the most I'll have to blab about rules at once, so I wanted to piece it off from my already substantial blabbing. Don;t worry though, I'll keep a table in the OP of all the rule blabs I do so you can see an overview of everything

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hi i'm going to read more soon

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I👏Understand👏That👏If👏I👏Do👏Not👏Unvote👏The👏Mod👏Will👏Not👏Count👏A👏Revote👏Unless👏I👏Am👏A👏Doublevoter.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Maggie gallant

human

i rolled a 6 so i'm a builder

"Last thing i remember? walking back from the build site. We'd spent weeks building up what would be the citadel that would serve as the base for the navy that would protect the island. i'd sat down for a second, just needed to rest my legs, when it all blacked out. found myself here."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Name: Nicolas Thomian
Race: Human
Class Thing: Trader
Backstoryish: "I was a baseball player, not that any of you would know baseball. I was in the middle of the worst game of my life and, as luck would have it, the ground cracked open beneath me. I fell and ended up... wherever here is. It's been, man, a year almost now? I changed my name a little to fit in better, but it's been one stretch of bad luck after another. I mean hell, look at me today. I made the big leagues. Rowing a boat. Every kid in Reseda's dream.

"Sigh."

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Held for later

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
picture
name: busb
job: a plane
bio: i'm busb the talking plane
---
+skills, u get 20 points to spend+
hope: 4
self realization: 4
mediation: 4
communication: 4
video games: 4
oneness with nature: i'm a loving plane

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Birdstrike posted:

picture
name: busb
job: a plane
bio: i'm busb the talking plane
---
+skills, u get 20 points to spend+
hope: 4
self realization: 4
mediation: 4
communication: 4
video games: 4
oneness with nature: i'm a loving plane

can u not steal my past RP characters

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Name: Karock Sealson
Race: Dwarf
Job: Artist (rolled Occupation: 2d6 5)
Backstory: My parents were a singer and a writer and always pushed me to express my artistic side. All I wanted to do was to be a fisherman, so I moved out to the islands paying my way painting portraits on boardwalks and sending the occasional political cartoon to the local newspaper. I was captured one day after sailing out too far, it didn't help that I didn't know how to sail very well or how to fish at all, but all I know is that I like eating fish. And the occasional seabird.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

name: Thrag Ogretooth
race: human (deformed)
job: adventurer
backstory: born as a human/ogre hybrid freak, thrag was exiled from his homeland and forced to wander the world as an adventurer and treasureseeker, hoping someday to find a place to call home.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

name: Thrag Ogretooth
race: human (deformed)
job: adventurer
backstory: born as a human/ogre hybrid freak, thrag was exiled from his homeland and forced to wander the world as an adventurer and treasureseeker, hoping someday to find a place to call home.

well i guess according to the dice im a wandering trader. that works too

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

derp posted:

well i guess according to the dice im a wandering trader. that works too

I think trader is as close as yu're going to get on that list to the experience of wandering adventurer and treasure seeker

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
how thrag became a slave:

after wading through a sea of 342 goblins and cutting them down like blades of grass that bleed a lot and scream too, the 343rd goblin was just too much to handle, and thrag's sword arm got so tired that it couldnt flex all sweatily and sexily anymore, and he dropped his shining blood-stained blade and collapsed to his manly knees with a heroic sigh.

the last goblin happened to be the goblin prince gargaxlebarb, who has many connections with the slavery business. thrags muscly arms got gargaxlebarb a nice stack of goldpieces out of the deal. but also... it got him a promise of REVENGE from thrag! :o

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to laugh when you die in one hit

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I'll sign up

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm going to laugh when you die in one hit

it could happen... when thrag was born under an ugly half blood, half blue moon, the scragly ogretooth jutting uglily out of his mouth snagged on his mother, killing her in childbirth. ever since, it has been his Achilles heel, or 'ogre's tooth' as he would come to call it--and himself. whenever anyone mentions it or looks at it for more than a few seconds, it fills him with such guilt and existential wonderings that he can do naught but curl up on the ground and cry for hours

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

I'll sign up

Do you want to be a human, orc, dwarf or elf?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Do you want to be a human, orc, dwarf or elf?

ORC

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

K, You're an orcish scavenger. What your name, and how did you get captured by pirates?

e: I somehow mixed up the campaign and name fields on that orokos roll.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Scavenger
I rolled an 8 and I'm an Orc ill do a character write up at lunch.

Life as an Orc is hard. With that said, few have had it harder than Krunge. With the death of his tribe and the scattering to the wind of any possessions that, as a child could have installed any sense of his cultural heritage. Krunge was hopelessly lost to a cruel world designed to punish and beat him to a fine point much like a sword so too did Krunge become a tool for others to use, abuse, and throw away.

His most recent "master" was a self proclaimed warlord famous for employing any and all that approached him. Observing the way his eyes darted with a wild feverish nature. They decided Krunge was best suited for the battlefield cleaning after battles and bringing useable bits back for their own purposes.

Eventually Krunge settled into this life and found a sort of short lived peace. All was well until an empire platoon found him scavenging amongst their dead, and scavenging being a crime punishable by death decided a more fitting punishment would be to have him pressganged into slavery and thus. He found himself on this ship headed to who knows where.

JimsonTheBetrayer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 3, 2016

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

K, You're an orcish scavenger. What your name, and how did you get captured by pirates?

My name is Dolthar of the Valley People. After a trade envoy from my village mysteriously disappeared on the way to one of our coastal trading partners I decided to see what happened, and what, if anything, there was to scavenge from my dead brothers. I was captured as I was picking the pockets of my dead kinsmen.

Mr. F! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 2, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Imgur link is down.

Which? The background chart seems to work for me.

Orc 8 is a scavenger though.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Which? The background chart seems to work for me.

Orc 8 is a scavenger though.

Wait lemme change my backstory if I'm a scavenger.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Go ahead, change it as much as you want until things start.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oops, i used random.org for my roll. i can redo if you want mmm

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
okay i made an account and used their dice and got 10 so im a scavenger lol that still works fine, i am a lucky dice man

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Go ahead, change it as much as you want until things start.

In that case, I dropped out of art school after two years and several critically acclaimed exhibitions to pursue my fishing dreams. My parents haven't disowned me but are greatly ashamed. My simple caricatures are signed under a pen name, though I have one devoted fan that believes I'm try to make some new sort of pop-art project by drawing such mundane pieces. I keep telling him I'm not but he refuses to listen. I had a modest amount of money to my name, but I blew most of it buying my fishing boat, which was promptly captured by the pirates as well. It was a small sailboat, about 15 meters, which could comfortably fit 3 or 4 people and keep a decent haul of fish in its cargo. I've no reason to believe that it was destroyed. I would assume they'd re-appropriate it for pirate deeds. I left the port by myself, hoping I'd be as natural a fisherman as I was an artist. It was not to be.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

derp posted:

oops, i used random.org for my roll. i can redo if you want mmm

It's no big deal, you can keep trader. I doubt people are going to cheat to begin with, but on this roll in particular it would be pretty pointless.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In that case, I dropped out of art school after two years and several critically acclaimed exhibitions to pursue my fishing dreams. My parents haven't disowned me but are greatly ashamed. My simple caricatures are signed under a pen name, though I have one devoted fan that believes I'm try to make some new sort of pop-art project by drawing such mundane pieces. I keep telling him I'm not but he refuses to listen. I had a modest amount of money to my name, but I blew most of it buying my fishing boat, which was promptly captured by the pirates as well. It was a small sailboat, about 15 meters, which could comfortably fit 3 or 4 people and keep a decent haul of fish in its cargo. I've no reason to believe that it was destroyed. I would assume they'd re-appropriate it for pirate deeds. I left the port by myself, hoping I'd be as natural a fisherman as I was an artist. It was not to be.

I love this.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So right now we've got:

Tomm (dongsbot9000) as Maggi Gallant, Human builder
Little Mac as Nicolas Thomian, Human trader
100Yrs as Karock Sealson, Dwarf artist
derp as Thrag Ogretooth, Human trader (scavenger?) unsure which he's taking
Mags(Mr. F!) as Dolthar of the Valley People, Orc scavenger
Jimson as an Orc scavenger, not yet named.

and then also Somber and Taste (Jon Fisk) have signed up to reserve early spots in the thread, but haven't made a character yet.

Just a reminder I'm drawing 5 characters at random, so there's no rush or whatever. Probably I'll start stuff tomorrow though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'll go with scavenger since i have the OFFICIAL DICE ROLL PROOF of it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this is me

http://orokos.com/roll/m-derpsa

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i rolled a 4 for character = orc
and 4 for trait thing = artist

GROGAN, GROG for short

I paint rock friends for my friends

and sometimes I throw my rock friends at my enemies

(the rocks look really cool you guys)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to move on to the next step tonight, Somber and Taste haven't made a character yet so I sent them a reminder pm.

Here's how you do it if you didn't read it above and your scroll wheel is broken:

1) Pick your name
2) Choose to be a Human, Elf, Orc or Dwarf
3) Roll 2d6 and consult this table for your background:

4) Say how you were captured by slavers, or what your life was like last week when you weren't a slave.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Name: Gliff Whitehand
Race: Elf
Profession: Woodcutter

Backstory:

Most of Gliff's trade is local, he enjoys his work but most big contracts come through full-fledged companies, and Gliff is a one-elf operation. That suits him fine, he's always enjoyed the solitude of the woods and the small delights it has to offer. The town of Andlehook is there whenever he feels the need to socialize, which is less and less often as he advances in age.

However, Hoblin Wood has a few unique properties, by virtue of its location. It's one of the few locations that the Sallow Birch can grow, and what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in durability. It has a strange, almost symbiotic relationship with fire that is only vaguely understood. This makes it ideal for certain types of construction, and Gliff received a sizeable bid on a shipment of Sallow Birch to Ventris. After finishing the work, he took up with a small caravan heading to port with his cargo in tow. While typically a loner, Gliff relished the opportunity for a little adventure. He hadn't been to a port town in years. After a night out on the town, he never made it back to his lodging. Waylaid by brigands in the wee hours, he was captured and subdued after a short struggle.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Aarom

Human

Sailor

Aarom is a relatively young aspiring pirate in need of a crew. His brilliant plan to acquire one was to allow himself to be captured by slavers and hopefully use his charm to go from there and inspire mutiny. Perhaps a little overconfident, but who knows.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
how'd i do dm?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

K, I'm going make my picks now. If anybody else wants to sign up in the future they might be a replacement when people die, but we'll see.

Also, from here on in, use http://orokos.com/ for your rolls. As said before, I doubt anybody would have any reason to cheat on the background roll, but even if they did it wouldn't really matter. I also doubt you'll cheat on more important rolls, but it helps keep everybody honest.

The characters in order of when they were posted in the thread
1 Maggie gallant (Tomm)
2 Nicolas Thomian (Little Mac)
3 Karock Sealson (100yrs)
4 Thrag Ogretooth (derp)
5 Krunge (Jimson)
6 Dolthar of the Valley People (Mags)
7 Grogan (bowmore)
8 Gliff Whitehand (Somber)
9 Aarom (Taste)

I'll make some d9 rolls on orokos and ignore duplicates until we have 5 players. Here are the rolls

orokos posted:

2, 2, 3, 7, 4, 5, 8, 7, 9, 1

That makes our starting players Little Mac, 100yrs, bowmore, derp and jimson.

The rest of you, don't worry, I'm sure somebody will die. and when that happens we'll feed people in this order: Somber, Taste, Tomm, and Mags according to the back half of the character selection rolls.

As a side note, I really love your characters, obviously a couple of silly ones, but my opinion is pretty good so far. The rest of the character creation is coming in my next post.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I DID IT
I WON

awesome game mmm, thanks for hosting i had a great time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

derp posted:

I DID IT
I WON

awesome game mmm, thanks for hosting i had a great time!

I'll replace in for derp since he thinks it's done already. It'll be cool don't worry

• Locked thread