Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was re-watching "The Three Doctors" recently and my favourite part remains Omega getting increasingly exasperated not at his plans being thwarted, but at having to put up with Two and Three's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I saw recently came up when some people were talking about the American election, and somebody brought up the episode where the Master blasts the president to atoms "but they call him president-elect because Moffat is an idiot".

I wonder when Moffat will start getting the blame for Six throttling Peri or the racist stuff in "Talons". :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

Just watched Fantastic Beasts and there's a shot we did verbatim in an S10 episode. Entirely coincidence, but, lol.

God what I wouldn't give to have a) Stuart Craig's budget b) Stuart Craig's pay

Is that movie good, btw?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who is still younger than William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor.

And it's been said before, but Peter Capaldi and William Hartnell were both the same age when they first appeared as the Doctor :stare:

Paul McGann is only one year younger than Peter Capaldi despite looking about 10 years younger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Does anyone remember that "Doctor Who Old vs New" video that made the rounds a few years ago which derided RTD for introducing "love" and "drama" to Doctor Who while taking out "death" and "serious issues"? I think the guy who made it later went on to do this animated Third Doctor video which was pretty good.

If that was made today, it'd no doubt be all like, "The Slitheen are baby-faced monsters who fart a lot because MOFFAT IS AN IDIOT." :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

We certainly dodged a bullet with the TV Movie not getting picked up for a regular series, since their proposed storylines sounded pretty loving awful.

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

She's a British actor who, to appeal to what they thought was the PBS audience, I can only assume, they made out to be American, even forcing her to do her horrible, no-good American accent in public appearances. The bad news is that it never improves, not even in Big Finish stories, and it's a huge, huge roadblock for Nicola Bryant, who honestly is a pretty decent performer who was propped up on the screen as a "Something for the Dads and... I guess Americans??"

If you've ever seen Blackadder's Christmas Carol, that's Nicola Bryant playing Ebeneezer Blackadder's god-daughter Millicent. I'd only seen her in DW so I couldn't believe it either when I found out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8pm on Fox Kids, after Vision of Escaflowne, I believe. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maelstache posted:

Paul Cornell's first couple of books set the bar really high, but it took a while for the quality of the rest to catch up.

And that was his first professionally-published, wasn't it? I think he'd had something publisher as the winning entry to a BBC writing contest, but aside from that, his NA books were the first "proper" things he'd done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo Vengeance on Varos - the doctor grapples with and dumps two goons into an acid bath; cue sad trombone.

Now, hold on, he surprises one guy who falls into the acid bath by accident then pulls the other one in after him while he's trying to get out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like "The Web Planet". It was something like the third or fourth Hartnell story that got a DVD release ("The Aztecs" and "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" were the first two and I'm pretty sure "Web Planet" was number three, at least.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Latest story is that Matt Lucas will "stick around to be the Doctor's 'valet' in season 10."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LordZoric posted:

Man if I was about to see Sutekh the Destroyer appear on my wall I'd swear too.

Sutekh's face in that episode is really weird. He looks sort of like a camel or something, then he's a jackal when Scarman's face becomes Sutekh's in episode four.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Matt Lucas but wasn't terribly keen on his character in the last Christmas special. Maybe he just needs more room, which he will hopefully get if he's in more than one episode? :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heheh, David Tennant is the new voice of Scrooge McDuck! :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I know Ringo Starr was Mr. Conductor, but he played the drums too?!?!?

There wasn't a Mr Conductor character in UK Thomas - we didn't have the "Shining Time Station" framing device.

Michael Angelis was the definitive Thomas narrator in any event.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

OK. People from the United Kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQZaUixmpA

Explain this. Please.

You've got to be careful when you visit farms.

I remember this one we were shown in school (in the late 1990s, so probably about 20 years after it came out) where this kid who loves football breaks every bone in his body and loses both feet when he's hit by a train and it ends with a close-up on his football boots; Peter Purves presented and narrated it.

What you really need to look up are the DOE anti-drink driving adverts from Northern Ireland.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I remember there was also an updated one from the 1990s where this kid goes in to recover his sister's doll after it's chucked over the fence by some other kids, something like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

:psyboom:

The gently caress Britain?!?

If it's working on you as an adult about 30 years removed from its original broadcast...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the Doctor is doing in Revelations, he barely does anything.

He walks about in the snow for an episode. :v:

No, I don't really like "Revelation". It has some good Doctor vs Davros exchanges which I wish there'd been more of, and Terry Molloy is very entertaining in it, but it's one of those episodes where Saward was clearly a lot more invested in those badass Clint Eastwood mercenary gunslinger characters he liked (see also: Lytton) and trying to do Bob Holmes style intrigue than in telling a story about the Doctor.

It does also have the single best reaction to getting exterminated by a Dalek there's ever been in the entire series, but even that can't make me care about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm disappointed that it cuts off just before he slowly reaches his hand out to his boss then drops dead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

what

e. I googled it out and I could get behind Kyle MacLachlan.

If it's aiming for moderate plausibility, I don't think Nicolas Cage as the Ninth Doctor is necessarily realistic. Michael Chiklis would be a more likely choice.

Maybe somebody like Simon Baker as the Tenth Doctor, I don't know. Trying to think of guys who do TV more than movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the episode. I don't know if I'll remember much of it this time tomorrow but it engaged me for an hour on Christmas and that's all it really has to do for me to be content. I liked Nardole in it despite not having liked him in "The Husbands of River Song".

Granted, a lot of it felt a bit like Steven Moffat saying, "Please give me an American show in 2019, the CW!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of liked it, even if it was kind of hokey. The guy who played Grant seemed to get the Silver Age cheesiness down pat without it turning into parody.

Fun fact: he played Goku in Dragonball Evolution.

quote:

Edit: Although did they explain how the TARDIS was able to get back to New York? I thought it was inaccessible due to weird time poo poo ever since Angels in Manhattan.

Only as long as Amy and Rory were living there, I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

The worst part of the episode was watching the next season preview and noticing just how little Matt Lucas was in it. I think he might only be in a couple of the early episodes and then bow out again. This is a shame, as I think he was great this episode and will make a wonderful companion.

Lucas was the part I was most expecting to dislike in this episode (because even though I like Matt Lucas, his character was really annoying last year) but he ended up being one of the highlights for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Clouseau posted:

I don't really know the business ins and outs of British television, but it seems odd to task someone who is in charge of most of the writing and rewriting to also be in charge of managing the budgeting. Was this more split up in the old show with the script editor/producer teams?

As far as I'm aware, shows having one showrunner who was in charge of everything wasn't really a thing in British television until RTD took on the role for New Who (he'd brought it back more or less singlehandedly, so he assumed the responsibility). It was more of an American thing before that. However, one thing American shows tend to have that Doctor Who hasn't had is a writers' room, which I imagine eases the burden involved. Chibnall has said he wants to introduce an American-style writers' room when he takes over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

e: obviously I can't post about the complete inner workings of the show but some of you have very :lol: ideas about how it all works / how responsible SM apparently is for all ills in the universe.

I remember one discussion on another forum about "The Sound of Drums" from earlier this year where one participant said, "The Toclafane are greeted by the US president-elect because Moffat is an idiot," and it made me think of this thread. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the "Time Warrior" serial was a case of Holmes being told to write a Dicks story, then a few years later, "Horror of Fang Rock" was Dicks being told to write a Holmes story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

So what's the difference between The Daily Mail and The Sun?

The Sun is more downmarket, but in some respects, it is better than the Mail. The Sun is aware of what kind of paper it is, and if nothing else, it makes complicated issues accessible (that it puts a very particular slant on said issues is indisputable but, in my view, a separate matter entirely - the Daily Mirror does the same thing from a more left-wing perspective), whereas the Mail has this sort of self-importance that makes it doubly insufferable.

I'm not sure what the American equivalent would be. I suppose the Mail is Fox News in the sense that it has a very thin veneer of respectability born out of tradition, whereas the Sun is low-rent talk radio.

Anyway, "Flip-Flop". I thought it had a clever concept with the thing about being able to listen to either side/disc first. It's a bit of a novelty.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

the former has previously run a front cover with the words "Up Yours Delors" with a picture of a hand flicking the Vs (in reference to Jacques Delors, then president of the European Commission).

I'm sure Tony Benn would have concurred. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tossing out a recommendation for something I've been watching lately - if you enjoy the UNIT or "spy-fi" dimension of the Third Doctor, you might want to try Department S, which is very much like monster-of-the-week episodes of The X-Files as produced by the BBC in 1969.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the telemovies with Noah Wyle, though I understand he's not in the series (busy with Falling Skies, I suppose).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would recommend against listening to "Master" because it's a pretty decent story right up to this really naff Lidster twist at the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think part of the problem is that there had been several years' worth of original Seventh Doctor fiction in the form of the the New Adventures before Big Finish started up, so he already had this big complicated continuity that they probably weren't 100% sure how to approach.

I think the Seven audios get a real shot in the arm once Hex gets there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

After The War posted:

FAKE EDIT - Wheat Loaf! :argh:

Nah, your post is much better. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen and can anyone recommend The Omega Factor, which was a BBC science-fiction drama from the early 1970s which co-starred Louise Jameson?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

The Third Doctor era may have been set mostly in England within the same (ill-defined) timeframe but it was about as far from being a crime-procedural as you can get.

It was Quatermass :getin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Good Lord the British made some gloriously insane stuff in the late 60s/early 70s :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It would be nice to be able to like posts. :)

By the way, how much roughly does an episode cost to make on average? I've heard £800k (around the time S8 was coming out, I think), but I'm not sure if that's too high, too low or about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Also, it's taken me a few weeks, but I finally realised who Ben Mendelson (Krennic in Rogue One) reminded me of.. Michael Jayston! There's something very deliberate in the voice he puts on for Krennic, and it's so very Jayston.

I can hear it.

• Locked thread