Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

So... halfway through Heroes of Sontar, and it's basically a Danger Mouse episode, isn't it? I just keep waiting for this music cue to show up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfZ8ZIVNuI&t=362s

Heroes of Sontar is a great, silly story. In fact that run of Five/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough is generally good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure the beeb was chock full of strongly left leaning people at that time as well. Malcolm Hulke was a paid up member of the communist party until at least the mid 1950s, and this was the era of Burgess, Philby and Maclean when the establishment was chock full of people who's politics were as far from fascist as you could get.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to see the War Games any more, the cinema's full."

This would just lead to him going slightly further back in time to trip one of the versions of himself before he got to the cinema, thus freeing up a seat.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*departs with a scream*

... and the true horror sets in when you realise the person manning the ticket booth is Colin Baker and all the doors are locked.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Is Ian Levine inside?

Mostly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

He said "properly." The Doctor never finds out what Clara even looks like in Asylum.

Yeah he does. She's short, bright eyed and moves gracefully across the floor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Man, Ian Levine has a LOT of accounts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Real Time was animated when it was released, so there's that!

(Real Time is not very good)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

These next few years' worth of Doctor Who may prove a bit of a slog....

You're in the worst season now, Trial is a bit better and once you're past Time and the Rani, Sly's run is pretty good. It's all fine, honest.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Maelstache posted:

Jesus, I had totally forgotten that one. Grim as gently caress, particularly that sequence you just described.

The only thing I remember about Real Time is the sheer absurdity of Stewart Lee being transformed into a Cyberman, and still sounding like Stewart Lee.

Don't forget CyberLee being sad that Space Herring's head got crushed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Calling it now, Matt Lucas is playing Kamelion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I feel for the poor bastard that only knows him from Gracepoint.

Never mind that, it's the Secret Smile generation that deserves our pity.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He will always be the failed actor from People like Us

People Like Us was so good. Shame it'll never get shown again ever.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

OK. People from the United Kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQZaUixmpA

Explain this. Please.

Apaches is the worst of those films. The second worst is the kid that goes into an electricity substation to collect his Frisbee and gets violently electrocuted.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That's the fucker. Good lord, I stayed the hell away from substations after that

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

:psyboom:

The gently caress Britain?!?

https://youtu.be/y3FnCiRpdQ4

Remember kids! A badly animated cat is the best way to avoid getting molested! (lol, j/k, in the 1970s a cat wouldn't save you from the legions of TV celebrities).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I once read a story about a celebrity who got invited to William Shatner's house to watch some Canadian Football. He knew NOTHING about Canadian Football, had never watched it, but when William Shatner invites you, you go! So off he went and when he got there, ANOTHER celebrity guest was there. He asked the guy what he was doing there and the guy replied in a whisper,"I have no idea! :stare:"

I'd like to think that's how the guest stars generally felt about somehow ending up on Doctor Who during the JNT years.

Alexi Sayle is a great bit of casting but god knows what that character is even doing in Revelation.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's also got Clive Swift being a massive arsehole. It must have been tough for him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

And yet somehow it's still better than the previous Doctor's first story.

That's unfair because Twin Dilemma is probably the worst story Who has ever aired.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Shiftypenguin posted:

Worse than Timelash?

Timelash feels like it's over quicker, has better special effects and doesn't feature the Doctor first assaulting his companion and then deciding to doom her to perpetual isolation on a lovely asteroid BECAUSE he assaulted her.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I enjoy any episode where Capaldi gets to channel Tom for a bit. His lines at the start when he'd just swung through the window were a pretty good example, I thought.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

adhuin posted:

I'd say BBC is to blame. No reasonable organization will stop producing their moneymaker just because show is bit over budget.

The BBC carries the blame for appointing people that can't manage their budget, sure. The BBC has a different brief to most other broadcasters in that they have to justify what they've funded to the license payer. Unlike a commercial broadcaster they can't just not fund something that makes less money as that gives the government and the press license license to declare "Oh they're just going after the money therefore they aren't a public service broadcaster therefore we should privatise and dismantle them". It's a proper tightrope.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The author of Flip Flop is tweeting a commentary of it at the moment. I was particularly struck by this bit:

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/814942289881612291

I agree with the thread in general that it comes out murky at best, but it's nice to know what the intent was.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The sun is, in general, a horrible rag intended for consumption by the working class. The mail is a horrible rag intended for consumption by the middle class. The latter prefers dog whistle racism and xenophobia, the former has previously run a front cover with the words "Up Yours Delors" with a picture of a hand flicking the Vs (in reference to Jacques Delors, then president of the European Commission). The mail would still happily use the term "coloureds" and doesn't see why that should cause any offense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sure Tony Benn would have concurred. :v:

Tony Benn references should of course be saved for whatever thread we have discussing Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I don't care what any of you say, Mavic Chen has my vote.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The first really, really good 7 audio is The Harvest, which yeah, is when Hex shows up. I've relistened to that one more than any other 7 story.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Morris is pretty good; Cobwebs is one of his and that's great. I think even his worst stories are just average rather than poo poo. Dan Abnett is pretty consistent as well! (he has done two).

Rob Shearman is the only one I can think of that doesn't have a single bad story.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Editorial control, keeping it's message more liberal and more progressive? What if the govt goes hard right?

The BBC has survived Conservative and labour governments without a significant shifting of tone. As long as it's around in its current form it'll likely tend towards the left regardless of who's in Downing Street.

The risk of a hard right government is in it closing the beeb down entirely rather than imposing editorial control.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Or ladel it onto toast. Put some into cheap minced beef to add flavour. In fact put some in to expensive minced beef, gently caress it. Gargle with it. Eat all the marmite.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, I wasn't cool with the doctor being played by someone younger than me. Then Matt Smith came along and proved me completely wrong so now I'm basically fine with whatever.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I think there will be a remit to bring back many of the viewers who left with Tennant and I have a feeling that Chibnall maybe more similar to RTD than Moffatt.

So with that in mind a sexy young Doctor will be hired, someone who will attract a young squee happy female audience, he will have a high profile but will not have broken into the movies.

There is a logical candidate.

Harry Styles.

Can he actually act? Because at this point I think I'm on board with dumb stunt casting.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Or Noah Wyle to do the one he's doing in The Librarians. Actually his is more of a mix of ten and eleven.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

going out with a blast of diarreah

A double blast. The sort where you think the person in the cubicle has finished, but it's just a brief pause before they continue their death rattle. The sort that leaves your eyes streaming from the next room over.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

He didn't like working on the show, no; he apparently didn't like how little influence he was permitted as the lead actor (especially compared to the series he did with RTD before that), and especially didn't get on with one of the directors, the one that did Boom Town. He did get on very well with Moffat and the crew for The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, though.

That said, that's likely not why he left. Eccleston has never been one to stick to a role for very long, he'd prefer to just do it and leave before he gets typecast and remembered forever as 'the guy that played X'.

EDIT: Semi-beaten, I'd trust Jerusalem more on this one.

I think it was the Rose director. Specifically because of the bit where the autons are trashing the shopping precinct said director pitched a fit at some extras over some infraction and Eccleston took issue with it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Harvest is also good fun. It introduces Hex and I think it actually uses the antagonist really well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BSam posted:

Basically this.

Except the Matt Berry Master regenerates from the Chris Morris Master after a season or two.

The Chris Morris Master's plans would basically be incomprehensible and yet still somehow monstrous.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

How about Matt Berry as the Master?

Cleretic posted:

I imagine a Matt Berry Master having no subtlety or leadup whatsoever, it's a normal day in London until he busts through the door (any door) and is IMMEDIATELY enacting some nefarious scheme.

Probably a bit like that?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

What terrors would we see from an Ian Levine-ran series, though?

UNIT dating would finally be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EdBlackadder posted:

1995 my family got Sky TV for the first time. A channel called UK Gold showed Doctor Who repeats in a block on a Sunday morning. There would usually be an episode of Blakes 7 or the Survivors then they'd run a serial all the way through and next week you'd get the next serial. When they ran out, back to the start. I believe they showed everything available up to the TV Movie. I used to get up early so I could catch it all, hell of a step up from the odd VHS serials I had before that.

So even the serials that weren't on VHS could be viewed.

I'm pretty sure BBC2 also used to run everything from Pertwee to Colin Baker in the mid to late 90s. I think it was sunday mornings, but I don't quite recall. I'm nearly 100% sure they never showed any McCoy, as I was waiting for it but it never arrived.

Edit: Apparently it was early 90s, wasn't at lunchtime at all, DID include some McCoy and wasn't a full run at all, just serials chosen seemingly at random.

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Airdates_in_the_UK_(BBC_repeats)

Starts at row 111.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 21, 2017

• Locked thread