Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's Play: Dog's Life (PS2)

What is this game?

This game is an action adventure game released on the PS2 in ~2003. It is a simple collectathon with some mechanics in common with an (albeit simplified) version of Banjo Kazooie.
The Primary collectible is bones, that make you better at stuff than other characters the more you get. Similar to other games of it's ilk the trigger for Jake's quest and the beginning of his Heroes Journey is his crush, Daisy, being kidnapped.

Why this game?

I chose this game because it has a lot of charm. It has a very relaxed, cartoony atmosphere, yet most of the locaitons feel very genuine and lived in, with the architecture being generically familiar enough you could see yourself finding yourself in an area that looked very similar, despite the gamey nature of some aspects of the environments. The characters, while stereotypical, have some charm too in how they interact and I love how the cars animate in the later areas, they have a lot of exaggeration that really brings them to life.

How will the LP be structured?

There will be one video clearing out each level of the game, with one exception in the middle due to a special case that we will get to in due time. Most of the exploration for the 50 purple scents will be kept unless there is an extended period of time where I get lost finding one of them (which does happen, the raw footage is all recorded and mostly competent gameplay), and any outright failures will be edited out unless interesting or illustrative.

This will be a 100% LP collecting all 125 bones, with optional videos showing off the three radio broadcasts throughout the game (They can be funny and contain some foreshadowing)

Characters met so far:
Jake: The main character of this game, Jake has accomplished very little. However he is finally spurred into action when his crush, Daisy, is Dognapped.

Daisy: The smartest dog in Clarksville, Daisy has no time for Jake's nonsense in normal circumstances. However upon getting captured by the Dogcatchers, Daisy is surprised when Jake finally shows some initiative and sticks his neck out to try to save her. Now she bides her time, waiting for Jake to catch up with her captors and set her free.

Dwayne: One of the Dogcatchers who kidnapped Daisy. An ex-biker with a gentle temperament. Why did they take her? Where is their ultimate destination? Could it be the mysterious Lake Minniwawa that they were arguing about?

Wayne: One of the Dogcatchers who kidnapped Dairy. Displays a severe dog allergy and has a highly strung personality, with no time for frivolities.

Loretta "Miss Peaches" Chickenmeat: The mastermind behind the dognapping. Appears to be severely canophobic while having a serious infatuation with cats. Owner of the Catfood Cannery in Boom City, and employer of Wayne and Dwayne.

Videos:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
New video - Watermill:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 3, 2016

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I 100%'d this game back in the day while distracting myself from grad school. To this day, my wife and I stupidly delight in deadpanning the phrase "a peeing game" at each other. That "Yippee-i-yo-ki-aaaaayy" clip is branded on my brain just as indelibly, but that feels like more of a scar.

I remember trying to boot it up later, but since it was one of the few PS2 games on CD rather than DVD, it seemed incredibly finicky to get playing at all on anything but a first-gen console.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Here's Video 3 - The Big Field!

THis ep slightly desynchs but only by a bit, so I'll start converting my vids to AVI from MP4 so that I can edit them in VirtualDub from now on - that cuts better without causing problems.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh god I remember playing this game on the PS2. It was weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Oh god I remember playing this game on the PS2. It was weird.

That's how I like em. Everyone at this point knows how "Normal" and popular games go, whether because they've played them before, watched an LP or just good old fashioned Cultural Osmosis. With a weird game you never know what's coming. Keeps things fresh. And to that point - new update - The Clarksville Chicken Farm!:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since Y'all have been so nice, have a li'l bonus video. The first Radio Show - CHIK Radio, Hosted by Hyrem J "Hank" Chickenplucker as he answers questions from the populous of the farm. You may be surprised which characters actually got names... This plays on the Radio in the Farmhouse. There are 3 shows, one for each main area. This is the Clarksville station. Posting this now as, as of the Chicken Farm, we have met every character featured on this show as a guest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

New Update - Nearing the end of Clarksville!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Another Update as we finish off Clarksville and finally head to the fabled Lake Miniwawa Ski Resort!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We have another new video, beginning the most interestingly designed part of the game, Lake Miniwawa!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The last vid would have gone up yesterday but I had tech issues, so here's today's vid to catch up:

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
That little girl you help with her snowman had an awesome shirt.

"Hey"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

New episode, we are now more than halfway finished with both Lake Miniwawa and the game itself!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Another new episode - these levels are too intertwined to separate, so have two levels in one video!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In which we finish with Lake Miniwawa and get a small peek at the next, and final, major area!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A little bonus now the second area is complete - Radio 2: CSKI Radio, hosted by the twins "The Loud Brothers", Stan and Dan Loud. Guests include Elton Jack from the Hotel, and Wayne the dogcatcher. Enjoy their musings on the theme of POOOOOOSIIIIITIVITYYYYY!

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
It isn't surprising that odd and fun little environmental touches are this game's strength, given that this was made by the the world's premiere developer of games about theme parks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

New Area! Boom City begins now. Here we explore the train station and the surrounding area, and get introduced to the only character who will have multiple (read: 2) sidequests by the end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We continue in Boom City, meet the npc who may well take the title for Worst Face in the Game, and meet a new variation on an old friend. Also I got a new headset that is more comfy - how does it sound?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This update is special - it is the final "normal" area, and the final radio broadcast in one package! After this we only have one video left - the inevitable finale!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, the one we've all been waiting for! (All 8 of you :P) The Big Finale!

I just wanted to say a few things that were on my mind:

Thanks for everyone who was following my vids, it was a lot of fun finally getting to show off another game, especially since it had been 4 years since my first one as I'd been getting restless. Any comments or criticisms before I decide on which game to do next would be welcome, any issues that I didn't notice or consider will be helpful for future projects. Did anyone have any thought on the game itself now that the whole thing has been shown? Any strengths that were noticed that intrigued you, or weaknesses that made you question the games existence? I will contact Baldurk to archive it tomorrow afternoon, and when archived the thread will, of course, be closed, so if there is anything that I should keep in mind for improving future projects, please let me know.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Despite my aforementioned 100%-ing of the of the game, there's a huge amount of stuff I never remembered, especially some of the challenges that looked especially frustrating. I must have blocked them out or somehow Mr. Magoo'd through them.

I still love that one of the co-creators of Elite made a game that was book-ended by dog farts.

As for the LP, I found it a nice, relaxing watch. You edited the right stuff out. I'm also impressed with the fortitude it took to record all 3 radio shows (and more impressed with the developers with recording ~70 minutes of said radio shows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for your thoughts Man Dancer. I have emailed the archive for this threads submission. I'll keep an eye out and when it is in the archive I'll close the thread. :)

• Locked thread