Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gohmak posted:

It's pretty much a given that black folks will vote for the popular Democrat but signs are pointing to turnout being low this year.

No they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The only statistic in that article says they make up a lower share of the voters, which makes sense if overall turnout is up.

Which it is, because Hispanics are breaking records for turnout this year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Again, that article is citing percentages. You are literally not reading the articles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are Bill and Hillary Clinton examples of good outreach to minority voters, in so many words? I'm not really sure why, though.

Not to mention the pseudo-racist connotations of Bill Clinton being "America's First Black President" slung around in the 90s. I was a kid then, but my dad had the TV on and kept me politically aware as much as I could understand from an early age. On that note, I think my earliest coherent political memory was the Monica Lewinsky scandal in 1998, and I would have been around 9 then.

Also, not exactly related, but kids born in 1998 who can vote now would have no personal memory of the Clinton administration or even really the W. Bush administration like you or I would. That brings up another question of Clinton's traditional staying power with minority voters if the millennial generation would have no living memory (or appreciation) of her husband's years serving as President.

Again, what is the appeal really (beyond the obvious like supporting the DREAM Act primarily benefiting Latino voters, being awesome in general, etc)? Or am I just being an ignorant goon? :v:

People born in 1998 are not the people voting in 2016.

Like white, black, or otherwise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cat Mattress posted:

3. Unequal access to education is a big source of unequal opportunities which slows down the upward social mobility of minorities. So enforce equal access to education by outlawing tuition and private schools. Once all schools are public and all schools are paid for exclusively by taxpayer money, the wealthy will not have ways to make sure that their kids get to a good schools while poor kids go to bad schools.

Private schools become less and less of a thing the farther west you go. Instead you make a suburban community which "coincidentally" is 90% white people and is funded by local property taxes.

xthetenth posted:

You really need to fix how public schools are funded. Rich districts have much better public schools because they have much better funded public schools. Our public schools actually do well, it's just that the ones funded like Mexico's schools perform well compared to Mexico's schools.

This actually isn't true either. In Texas there's a "Robin Hood" plan where poor schools receive funding from richer schools, such that they actually get more funding per student. It doesn't overcome structural differences.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 6, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twerking on the railroad posted:

Are you sure you mean West and not Northeast?

There's tons of private schools in the Northeast. That suburb thing is probably a thing there too though.

(In fact I know it is looking at the Pittsburgh metro area)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OwlFancier posted:

Because, as I said, academia is not suited for everyone and you can't run a society on academia alone, you need people who can do practical work, they are a vital part of a functioning society.

If people have aptitude for practical work they should be supported in that, and given all the resources they need to excel at it.

I really don't understand what you're arguing, that vocational skills are somehow inherently bad and also that poverty must necessarily mean poor education availability?

You're assuming two things -

A) That people who do poorly in school (not just college, mind you, K-12 as well) do so because academia is not for them.

B) That people who are in a theoretical vocational track would actually do very well because it's more in line with their method of thinking.

While that does describe some people, it's reductive to apply that to the population at large who do poorly in school. It could just as easily be that people are not being taught very well from the offset (like not methods, just quality of teaching) and this cripples them later on down the line. This is more likely even, because poverty correlates very well with school performance.

The only way your plan really works in light of the above is if you believe people can do poorly in school and still do well in trades. Which is not very accurate - even tradesmen need to have some basic skills, like literacy, counting and measurements, etc.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 8, 2016

• Locked thread