Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

In my opinion, they should just remove laws that intrinsically make low income neighborhoods undesirable to live in and then let those communities set their own own social and moral standards. They should also stop pandering false promises for votes.

Would poor neighborhood really be better off if criminals were essentially given a green light to go nuts without any consequences? This sort of thing seems like it will only make poor neighborhoods shittier and wealthy white neighborhoods better off, since the value seems to be based off of existing civil involvement.

Cat Mattress posted:

3. Unequal access to education is a big source of unequal opportunities which slows down the upward social mobility of minorities. So enforce equal access to education by outlawing tuition and private schools. Once all schools are public and all schools are paid for exclusively by taxpayer money, the wealthy will not have ways to make sure that their kids get to a good schools while poor kids go to bad schools. They'll be forced, for their own kids' sake, to be in favor of appropriate funding for schools and that will benefit everyone. For the greatest equality, this should be done at the federal, not state, level.

If this were even remotely within the realm of legal possibility, i'd start pricing boarding schools overseas. Currently I live in a hyper-liberal college town (so it's not all white, but very few black/hispanic) and the schools are incredible, but i'd go private school in a heartbeat if I knew that people who hate me want to see my children hosed up by all sorts of nonsense policy.

xthetenth posted:

You really need to fix how public schools are funded. Rich districts have much better public schools because they have much better funded public schools. Our public schools actually do well, it's just that the ones funded like Mexico's schools perform well compared to Mexico's schools.

Just look at DC schools, some of the best funded in the world. Parents from all over express desire to send their kids to crime-riddled, underperforming DC schools funded at a cost of 25k/student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

pgroce posted:

The answer isn't more so-called vocational education, which is just a socially inferior educational track to funnel ostensibly inferior students into. A far better answer is the destigmatization of the trades (along with a dose of perspective about the "modern trades"), along with making the benefits of "university education"—a basic core of cultural literacy and class education that makes it easier to get jobs, loans, and many other things in our society—available to everyone, along with the primary and secondary education necessary to take advantage of it.

These sorts of initiatives always seem to just be a flat multiplier of pre-existing IQ/education. In other words, it won't address the gap and may in fact widen the gap.

This sounds like a nonsense rationalization, but the experience of free MOOCs is that even literally free education with no barriers other than a computer/phone disadvantages minorities somehow.

• Locked thread