Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.
I've noticed that certain modern games (mostly FPSs) have been focusing a lot on the movement system/physics of the player. This got me to thinking how a lot of games about 15 or so years ago kinda did the same thing until military shooters became more popular, with the focus of those kinds of games being less on movement and more on "Realism."™

At any rate, what are you guys' favorite ways different games experiment with character movement? For me, it's strafejumping or bunnyhopping. If done right, it can add some real depth to the game either one of these are implemented in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I like to not be where the bullets are.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i love easy bunnyhopping. just let me press space and go fast

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Skiing in tribes is probably the most fun I've had moving around in games.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The vault you do off monsters in Monster Hunter Generations. It feels so good to bonk monsters on the head mid-air while you flip by.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Shadow of Mordor has a neat little system where if you vault small objects, you get a speed boost. Also, you can teleport across the map and decapitate an orc, then immediately do it again :twisted:

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I liked the movement in Just Cause 3. The grappling hook could take you up buildings or cliffs, or jump onto cars or helicopters. The parachute was nice for exploring, and the wingsuit (especially the powered version from the DLC) was great for getting around fairly quickly even if you were stranded in the middle of nowhere. The walking and vehicle (especially bike/car) mechanics needed a lot of work, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I really enjoyed the wire adapter in Bionic Commando: ReArmed. You have lovely jumping and impassable knee high barriers in so many games, that having the ability to fly in the air, kick people off platforms, and continue shooting people in the air, is as sorely unexploited as the Nemesis system.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rolling/cartwheels off cliffs in Donkey Kong Country

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Prototype has the most entertaining movement. Run up a building, backflip off, glide to a roof, surf a guy's face to the other side, elbow drop onto an old lady, pull yourself to a helicopter, then karate kick the other helicopters out of the sky.

Spider-Man 2 had pretty good webswinging too.

TFC had some crazy stuff you could do, though it was more fun to watch than do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrjh8yp5yE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Countblanc posted:

Rolling/cartwheels off cliffs in Donkey Kong Country
Did that also have a free jump while you are falling? That was sweet.

• Locked thread