Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

this is already in the game

Is there an ending where you just fail? I had no idea!

Thinking on it more, I like the idea of the lowest effort being adding a branching quest where you either discover the way to destroy the reapers or control them on a quest or two, the removing the entire star child portion of the game and replacing it with whichever ending you locked in and a slideshow for the post game results based on fleet power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

with sufficiently low warscore the game will decide for you based on what you did with the Collector Base in ME2. also at low warscore Destroy razes the Earth clean

problem is that anyone who bothers finishing a game probably completed most of the sidequests as well, so you have to make a conscious effort to have a low warscore in the first place

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lt. Danger posted:

this is already in the game

it's kind of in the game but i think it's like practically impossible to get now lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's kind of a shame because a low war score was the only way to canonically kill Liara in the entire Mass Effect trilogy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DrNutt posted:

You know all you guys or gals with these epic fantasies about good Mass Effect 3 endings probably could have just gotten hired at Bioware and made Mass Effect 4 not suck rear end, given their staff turnover and the fact they wound up hiring a bunch of idiot fans who couldn't write for poo poo between 3 and Andromeda.

nothing could have saved andromeda except for a dev cycle that wasn't so completely shite that it left the majority of the finalized writing to the last stages of development because only at the 11th hour did they finally concede that the original concept wasn't going to work thanks to tech limitations

a rushed out plan b is always going to suck

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Finding out about that story of WAY the dev cycle was so hosed was just soooooooooooooooooooo stupid.

"Hey guys, we created a whole franchise and studio around creating fleshed out and fun character driven games with amazing set pieces. I know, lets throw that all away and create random poo poo like No Man's Sky!!!!

Bioware Magic foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

BexGu posted:

Finding out about that story of WAY the dev cycle was so hosed was just soooooooooooooooooooo stupid.

"Hey guys, we created a whole franchise and studio around creating fleshed out and fun character driven games with amazing set pieces. I know, lets throw that all away and create random poo poo like No Man's Sky!!!!

Bioware Magic foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

"let's have thousands of procedurally generated planets!"

"how are we going to have our signature unique characters and stories on those planets"

"gently caress"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrNutt posted:

You know all you guys or gals with these epic fantasies about good Mass Effect 3 endings probably could have just gotten hired at Bioware and made Mass Effect 4 not suck rear end, given their staff turnover and the fact they wound up hiring a bunch of idiot fans who couldn't write for poo poo between 3 and Andromeda.

I could have told them not to spend two years on procedurally generated planets for free.

beaten drat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ASre there any mods for Mass Effect 2 that lower the crazy early 2000's bloom overuse? I went back to try it out and there is so much light bleed coupled with the depth of field effect that half the time it looks like a kid coloured outside the lines.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

There probably won't be any change at all, and the new people that play the remaster won't have the visceral reaction that all the olds have from having had the trilogy drawn out so much.

The slow march to oblivion continues, and won't meet expectations when we get there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question regarding Legion in ME2. If you recruit him immediately after the Derelict Reaper Mission is it possible to get all of his dialogue scenes and also save the whole crew?

If I was to use the savegame editor for ME2 to get Legion early would that allow me to get all of his dialogue and save the crew or would that break the Derelict Reaper mission?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Question regarding Legion in ME2. If you recruit him immediately after the Derelict Reaper Mission is it possible to get all of his dialogue scenes and also save the whole crew?

If I was to use the savegame editor for ME2 to get Legion early would that allow me to get all of his dialogue and save the crew or would that break the Derelict Reaper mission?

You should be able to, just save some random side missions for post-Suicide Mission and his dialogue will update after each one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay then. I think it might be time to reinstall the first two games and act like the third never happened.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
play 3, but only the multiplayer, and make up your own story

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
95 percent of 3 was really good, it didn’t poo poo the bed til the ending.

I’ve been replaying Andromeda this week and I still maintain it’s a good game with some pretty big flaws. I’ve been enjoying it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

95 percent of 3 was really good, it didn’t poo poo the bed til the ending.

I don't wanna start another 10 page derail over ME3, but 95% is EXTREMELY generous imo

I’ve been replaying Andromeda this week and I still maintain it's a good game with some pretty big flaws. I’ve been enjoying it.

this is EVEN MORE GENEROUS

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moola posted:

I don't wanna start another 10 page derail over ME3, but 95% is EXTREMELY generous imo

Yeah, I like ME3, and I'd agree with that.

The opening act until you get to the Citadel is pretty bad, Kai Leng is terrible, Aria is still the worst even if you see her less, and the last act pre-ending still has a lot of awkward leaps in logic.

I'd argue there's enough good mixed in to say that ME3's worth playing overall, and if they'd done the extended cut initially, people probably wouldn't have been disappointed enough in the ending to make a big production out of it, but if someone says all the things that suck make them not like the game, it's a pretty fair position.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's all moot anyways because apart from the dumb Saren fight Mass Effect 1 has the best third act of the trilogy. The Suicide Mission is fun but has a lot of design and plot contrivances that hurt the main "story" missions of Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 1 from the end of Act 2 at Virmire to the end loving slaps. Fighting up the Citadel Tower while Sovereign's arms move around you is really drat cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm0S4cn_rfw

This video came out last month and I never realized that Mass Effect 1 had a Paragade system that applied to party members as well. That's really interesting and I wish it had stuck around in the later games.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 25, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can only assume that anyone who thinks the suicide mission isn’t one of the best finales to a video game ever made sent Thane into the vents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

exquisite tea posted:

I can only assume that anyone who thinks the suicide mission isn’t one of the best finales to a video game ever made sent Thane into the vents.

I have no problems with the mission itself (apart from Baby Terminator Reaper), my issue comes from the loyalty mechanic's effect on the two companion arguments earlier, and how the mission is thrust on you in the dumbest way possible by having Shepard cram 12 companions onto a shuttle, fly off to nowhere and come back to find the ship ransacked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moola posted:

I think I mentally blocked out the Kai Leng stuff. It helps that the DLC was really good and I’ve had that for all but my first one or two playthroughs, which kind of pads out the good/poo poo ratio. Leviathan ruled.

Moola posted:

this is EVEN MORE GENEROUS

It’s probably the weakest ME game but overall I found it had more good than bad. There’s some things that don’t quite work (the outlaws) but the combat was well executed and I loved the mix and match character building.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

nothing has pumped me up in a videogame more than the suicide mission in ME2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6_J1dq1hk

That music is so loving good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA

That title drop, tho...

gently caress I'm excited to get this started up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA

That title drop, tho...

gently caress I'm excited to get this started up.

mass effect was SO loving GOOD ya'll...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

nothing has pumped me up in a videogame more than the suicide mission in ME2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6_J1dq1hk

That music is so loving good

the Suicide Mission is perfectly crafted

even the "congrats you saved everybody" achievement waits juuuuuust long enough to pop up to heighten the dramatic effect

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Moola posted:

yeah, too bad they never made a mass effect 3

the standalone multiplayer they released instead was p fun tho

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

the Suicide Mission is perfectly crafted

even the "congrats you saved everybody" achievement waits juuuuuust long enough to pop up to heighten the dramatic effect

It's the only ending to a game that has made me immediately slam pick New Game after I finished it and just play like, another 6 hours. loving A+

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
"THEY KILLED MASS EFFECT!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzmF4A9l_Q

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arcsquad12 posted:

This video came out last month and I never realized that Mass Effect 1 had a Paragade system that applied to party members as well. That's really interesting and I wish it had stuck around in the later games.

Vestigial bits of Kotor. Same with Shepard's own moral polarity.

Moola posted:

It's impressive just how much they squandered the ip.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

It's impressive just how much they squandered the ip.

EA has never met an IP it can’t mismanage into the ground.

Even as someone that really liked Andromeda, everything around that game is just a loving disaster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Even as someone that really liked Andromeda, everything around that game is just a loving disaster.

If they don't mismanage it into the ground they somehow forget they have the license. See: Star Wars.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Andromeda was a 100% Bioware loving around for 4 years. The game probably would have been pretty good if EA actually rained in Bioware more instead of giving them a blank check and no supervision.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus the various Bioware studio branches foghting with each other over stolen ideas. The A Team that was working on Anthem apparently treated the Andromeda B Team like poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BexGu posted:

Andromeda was a 100% Bioware loving around for 4 years. The game probably would have been pretty good if EA actually rained in Bioware more instead of giving them a blank check and no supervision.

yeah. again. bioware is that student who gets lucky a bunch of times throwing together an assignment at the last minute. than they hosed up big twice in a row.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plus the various Bioware studio branches foghting with each other over stolen ideas. The A Team that was working on Anthem apparently treated the Andromeda B Team like poo poo.

and anthem was a bigger piece of poo poo than ME A was somehow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just passed Eden Prime and now I'm reminded that the whole "mass effect 3 has less dialogue options" thing was merely optics, because holy crap the sickbay talk with Anderson and any scene with the Council before you get spectra ststus might as well be auto dialogue since every option is exactly the same no matter what the text says.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just passed Eden Prime and now I'm reminded that the whole "mass effect 3 has less dialogue options" thing was merely optics, because holy crap the sickbay talk with Anderson and any scene with the Council before you get spectra ststus might as well be auto dialogue since every option is exactly the same no matter what the text says.

This is honestly almost as big a problem with the game as the ending. Someone decided that it was Important to cater to call of duty players who've never played an RPG before, so dialogue was designed to not matter.
And the story was written to awkwardly force DEFEND EARTH in there as the main goal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mymla posted:

This is honestly almost as big a problem with the game as the ending. Someone decided that it was Important to cater to call of duty players who've never played an RPG before, so dialogue was designed to not matter.
And the story was written to awkwardly force DEFEND EARTH in there as the main goal.

You're actually getting the exact opposite of what was being said. ME3 has a similar amount of branches to ME1, it just doesn't give you fake choices where every option has the same dialog.

Of course, ME3 also has more points where the game chooses dialog based on your past choices, rather than your current decisions. It's most obvious with the Shepard VI, but at a number of points, you get a little connecting dialog you don't choose that can be rude or polite based on previous choices. Basically the same amount of player influence over the dialog, but not as obvious.

...Which, of course, suggests there really is a change here. Perception matters, not just the substance underneath. Fake decisions, handled properly, can easily fool a player for at least a first run, saving developer effort without creating player resentment. ME3 stepping away from that didn't make the game worse (unlike, say, the awkward opening), but it did make some players think it had cut features when it didn't. And when players get disappointed, it doesn't solve the problem if you just say it's their own fault.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
...when did the thread title become nonsensical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

...when did the thread title become nonsensical?

I don't know what you're talking about, this is the gaming food megathread.