Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

What are peoples theories for the fate of the Quarian ark?

Exploded due to lack of heart (and lack of suckers buying this game lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drifter posted:

I mean, it's a pitch perfect reflection of real life.

Yea but I don't wanna work 8 hours dealing with incompetents in real life, then have to do more of it in my escapist science fiction video game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So did any Hanar make it into Andromeda? They were always one of my favorite species because they actually looked and acted like aliens as opposed to blue humans.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Internet Kraken posted:

So did any Hanar make it into Andromeda? They were always one of my favorite species because they actually looked and acted like aliens as opposed to blue humans.

If your question is "did something good make its way into Andromeda" the answer is always no.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Hanar are on the quarian ark, much like the elcor, volus, and probably batarians and thus, dead.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Only DLC ark should have been the Vorcha.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

Some sort of biological infection that they can handle cause they're in their suits, but anyone showing up would get wrecked.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Only DLC ark should have been the Vorcha.

Id play a mass effect as vorcha shepard

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

orange juche posted:

The angarans are twileks if they got hit by the super ugly stick repeatedly again and again until they were mush.

Their homeworld feels like Dromund Kaas from the Star Wars MMO.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Mass Effect: Andromeda....is....good?

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/why-diarrhea-is-good-when-youre-sick?mbid=social_twitter

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao I was gonna comment about the fact you were linking teen vogue but then I saw the full link title and busted out laughing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Just yet another thing that makes ME2 exceptional; Mordin's sex talks.

They could've just copied it and have Natalie Dormer give you some tips if you sex up one of the aliens. But :effort: I guess.

There actually is dialogue to this effect, but it's buried in her dialogue tree and you have to go through the same, "I categorise them by species!" thing that you probably stopped bothering to wade through long ago. She asks you for info on angaran sexuality if you're romancing Jaal, and Ryder says she'll have SAM send on the details.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

orange juche posted:

Lmao I was gonna comment about the fact you were linking teen vogue but then I saw the full link title and busted out laughing.

Teen vogue is woke af these days pal

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Android Blues posted:

There actually is dialogue to this effect, but it's buried in her dialogue tree and you have to go through the same, "I categorise them by species!" thing that you probably stopped bothering to wade through long ago. She asks you for info on angaran sexuality if you're romancing Jaal, and Ryder says she'll have SAM send on the details.
It's something, but to me it feels more like Lexi requesting a copy of your sex tape than it does the medical advice Mordin offered.
Like there's nothing on how to deal with human and turian biology being incompatible if you go for Vetra, no helpful insider info about asari if you romance Peebee.
Meanwhile in ME2, Mordin even gave advice for human on human banging. Sweeping Miranda for hidden listening devices being particularly amusing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Groetgaffel posted:

It's something, but to me it feels more like Lexi requesting a copy of your sex tape than it does the medical advice Mordin offered.
Like there's nothing on how to deal with human and turian biology being incompatible if you go for Vetra, no helpful insider info about asari if you romance Peebee.
Meanwhile in ME2, Mordin even gave advice for human on human banging. Sweeping Miranda for hidden listening devices being particularly amusing.

It's the little things like that that really make ME as a setting interesting. "What, you think you're the first human woman to want to bang a Turian? Here's a manual, positional diagrams, beware chafing, and for the love of god; don't swallow."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phrosphor posted:

Bolo Santosi and her revolutionary faction know as the Reapers showed up

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Phrosphor posted:

Died on the way to their home planet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the little things like that that really make ME as a setting interesting. "What, you think you're the first human woman to want to bang a Turian? Here's a manual, positional diagrams, beware chafing, and for the love of god; don't swallow."

And again, Andromeda had what could have been an amusing core of an idea: you are the first human to want to bang an angara. Two choices: good luck figuring that out and have medical teams on standby, or put the not-Citadel's medical team in contact with the angara hospitals to compare notes and try to figure things out first.

Star Trek even had an amusing bit on that in one episode. Someone felt the need to make it an established part of Starfleet regulations that sexual contact with new species is strictly prohibited until Starfleet medical signs off on it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phrosphor posted:

It's engines died when the reactor ran out of money and in their shame captain Bioware Vas EA had emergency plastic surgery to reinvent themself as the great prophet of Destiny.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

That DICK! posted:

Teen vogue is woke af these days pal

same, but i/d replace 'pal' with fam

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In retrospect they should have just made the Quarian Ark first since everybody already expects they'll all have the exact same face.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

And again, Andromeda had what could have been an amusing core of an idea: you are the first human to want to bang an angara. Two choices: good luck figuring that out and have medical teams on standby, or put the not-Citadel's medical team in contact with the angara hospitals to compare notes and try to figure things out first.

Star Trek even had an amusing bit on that in one episode. Someone felt the need to make it an established part of Starfleet regulations that sexual contact with new species is strictly prohibited until Starfleet medical signs off on it.

It's all fun and games until you try banging a woman from an alien race that rips the head off her partner and eats it during the act.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's all fun and games until you try banging a woman from an alien race that rips the head off her partner and eats it during the act.

If anything you'd figure Lexi would be on top of comparing notes with the angara medical establishment. It's the asari, there's probably a dedicated xenosexologist position in their first contact teams.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

If anything you'd figure Lexi would be on top of comparing notes with the angara medical establishment. It's the asari, there's probably a dedicated xenosexologist position in their first contact teams.

I think it needs to be stated again that the Asari explicitly stated in the game that they went to Andromeda just to see if they could gently caress meld with any and all indigenous species there.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cythereal posted:

Lexi herself is pretty much a PhD in the subject already, what with the dissertation on krogan-banging she emails you. But assuring her Commander Pathfinder doesn't get space aids from the Angara, making sure she doesn't die in an allergic reaction to eating out Vetra, or checking that Peebee isn't secretly an ardat-yakshi? Nah, :effort:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Groetgaffel posted:

Lexi herself is pretty much a PhD in the subject already, what with the dissertation on krogan-banging she emails you. But assuring her Commander Pathfinder doesn't get space aids from the Angara, making sure she doesn't die in an allergic reaction to eating out Vetra, or checking that Peebee isn't secretly an ardat-yakshi? Nah, :effort:

God drat that actually would have been a good twist. Break expectations, stop the sex scene right before it happens, and then create the moral dilemma on whether to kill/put PeeBee on ice to make sure the genes that create the ardat-yakshi aren't knocking around Andromeda.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

orange juche posted:

Teen Vogue is doing better journalism these days than major news networks.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Phrosphor posted:

Something stupid and poorly thought out is my guess.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cythereal posted:

That kind of stuff is why Star Trek was the best scifi TV show ever made. Real scifi. Because you know that's totally how it would work in real life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Furism posted:

That kind of stuff is why Star Trek was the best scifi TV show ever made. Real scifi. Because you know that's totally how it would work in real life.

The prequel series Enterprise even has an episode introducing the origin of that regulation: ship meets new alien race, ship's engineer bangs an alien, ship engineer finds himself pregnant.

At the end of the episode, Starfleet goes "Okay, new rule: no banging new alien species until our medical division talks with their medical division about it and draws up guidelines for both species involved."

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Furism posted:

DS9 will always be my favorite space war sci fi show ever because they spent 5 seasons just building up to the Domionon War. Showing the diplomacy each side used to advance their agendas, showing the motivations of every faction and their internal politics and destabilizing nature of the war.
It really gave the whole story a very real to life feeling.

On the other hand: Andromeda

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been playing some Knights of the Old Republic 1 again, and most of the PC dialogue options are pretty bad? Like they were writing babby's first choose your own adventure bad. I've played KOTOR 2 off an on over the years but I haven't gone back to K1 in a long time and the difference in writing quality across the board is astounding.

Maybe Bioware was always bad and we just got suckered in by their ability to write a plot twist that everyone obsesses over until the twist is so ubiquitous it loses its punch?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Been playing some Knights of the Old Republic 1 again, and most of the PC dialogue options are pretty bad? Like they were writing babby's first choose your own adventure bad. I've played KOTOR 2 off an on over the years but I haven't gone back to K1 in a long time and the difference in writing quality across the board is astounding.

Maybe Bioware was always bad and we just got suckered in by their ability to write a plot twist that everyone obsesses over until the twist is so ubiquitous it loses its punch?

I've had that feeling for a while now tbh

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yuuuuup. I've said this for awhile. KotOR exists fondly for people because in their minds it's better written then it actually is. But it pales in comparison to stuff that came out before ( Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape ), and even stuff that came out around the same time ( Homeworld 2, Max Payne 2, hell even Splinter Cell 1 ).

Then realize. Months after KotOR1 released we had Half Life 2, Doom 3, San Andreas, VtmB, Dawn of War 1, Riddick, MGS3, etc. Obsidian had a year to make KotOR2. And I mean, jesus loving christ, just look at KotOR 2 compared to 1. It's such a dramatic shift, so many additional options, so many additional areas, etc. Not even getting into the story/choice KotOR2 has almost triple the content of KotOR1.

It's easy to look at KotOR1 and place it in this really weird era where it was a marque game, but no. It launched against some of the best games of all time, and it does not look good against any of them. It's remembered fondly because we were 13 when it came out and nobody replays old games anymore. But if you do, youch.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rookersh posted:

It's easy to look at KotOR1 and place it in this really weird era where it was a marque game, but no. It launched against some of the best games of all time, and it does not look good against any of them. It's remembered fondly because we were 13 when it came out and nobody replays old games anymore. But if you do, youch.

Eh, I disagree. I did a Let's Play of it a few years ago and I think it holds up fine. It's not groundbreaking, but it's good.

It's the basic Hero's Journey arc of Star Wars, it's somewhat idiot proof.

In addition, the moral choice system was somewhat novel for the time. I still love the Dark Side ending of that game.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

honestly even the twist is only good because of the cutscene that goes with it, a lot of what people point to as example of Bioware's "great writing ability" is usually things that were carried by voice acting or camerawork, like people always talk about how great a villain Jon Irenicus is, but thats mostly David Warner's voice acting imo

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Born too late to explore the earth, born too early to graduate with a xenosexology degree

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kotor is fine as far as star wars plots go but the second game just blows it out of the water in comparison

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kotor is fine as far as star wars plots go but the second game just blows it out of the water in comparison

Well, sure, but that doesn't make the first one "bad" by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WampaLord posted:

Well, sure, but that doesn't make the first one "bad" by any means.

No, the overall game is not bad, and I do like most of the writing in it. It's just that the dialogue options you are given are downright pathetic at times and you can see the precursors of issues that would come to plague later Bioware titles.