Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

DA:I felt like the first Mass Effect in a lot of ways, in that it was cool but had a lot of rough edges that needed rounding off.

The NPCs were, for the most part, one of the high points.

Every Bioware RPG has at least one total dub of an NPCs. Ever game gotta have its Jacob.

Jacob was just under used. Sera was actively terrible, but at least you could have zero interaction with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

It makes it a lot easier to Discern the Pubby when there are standard classes though which was pretty important in the early days of Platinum

As I recall a few of the default classes were pretty good even in platinum.

The default weapons however were garbage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In the first game isn't it parodying the books?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Verviticus posted:

ive yet to play a game where i beat the main story and then wanted to beat the side quests. something about beating the game just devalues the rest of it for me

Bethesda games. Mainly because the "main story" is always dumb and just a distraction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawKnee posted:

Stop it, you're actually making me want to go replay DA2 again and down that road lies only another wave!

I got this urge once. I assure you DA2 actually was as tedious and frustrating as you remember.

Remember: one cave map.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

marktheando posted:

What did Morrigan do that was unwise? The demon baby thing seemed to work out pretty well.

I didn't actually get round to completing DAI so does something bad happen with him at the end?

She was an unwitting pawn in her mom's plans.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think the god baby really comes back to bite her in the arse?

Drinking from the pool does though and it's loving awesome.

I suppose it doesn't, it's just what flemeth wanted so she takes him at the end.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Then you have to make the strong moral choice of "keep a literal terrorist in your party or suffer through DA2 combat without a healer"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Torrannor posted:

You could in Inquisition.

Sort of?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zzulu posted:

you could romance the evil darkspawn mageguy? that would have been amazing

Because jokes are funnier when you explain them Flemeth is behind that and Solas is her henchman

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solas gave the mageguy the evil mcguffin at Flemeth's command so yes.

I don't blame you for not remembering it's like in a post credits stinger or something ridiculous like that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nah, Flemythal told him in the stinger "you done hosed up, son" and then he maybe killed her.

I thought that was because he hosed up her plan but I never played the DLC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It could've even been an interesting character moment if you bring up the magnitude of that lie and that she kept lying even after she supposedly trusted Shepard.

But I'm guessing they just forgot?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure James was supposed to be an insert for people that are new to the series - except they quickly forgot to keep using him for that purpose.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Not a problem, the inmates rebuilt the asylum: http://bsn.boards.net/

"Mass Effect Trilogy Character and Romance
Discuss the original Mass Effect Trilogy Characters and Romances"

Was that the name of that forum on the official forums?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ME2 and 3 companions at least (not sure about 1) only deal what 20-30% Shepard's weapon damage? Thats probably what you're seeing more than anything else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Generally I agree, but why not keep that central heatsink? Why not keep the capability to fire without clips, just at a greatly reduced rate?

You can enable this via some ini file hacking. It makes the game as easy as you'd think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

I can't think of anything I care less about then how chubby Sara Ryder's face is in the game.

It wasn't until this post that I realized the Sara Ryder appearance complaints weren't about shaders and lighting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Saddest Robot posted:

Twins, how do they work?

The majority of twins are male-female, so exactly like that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Andromeda has 1200 speaking characters

"Basically at the point of Mass Effect 2 and 3 put together."

Also, posting this from twitter because imgur is down for me, but check out Jaal:

*Cut to Steve Blum doing 100 takes of the same line*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It's actually driving me loving crazy that the guy playing died twice in 60 seconds at the very beginning of the mission just dashing around not taking cover or really doing anything.

It's kinda hard to play the game, describe what's happening and keep track of the presentation material all at the same time.

(Live demos never work right)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

KOTOR you were literally the bad guy before you knew you were the bad guy. You're only a good guy because the other bad guy tried to kill you on account of the whole Sith Lord and Sith Apprentice relationship

KOTOR2: But maybe you were actually a good guy all along!
SWTOR: lol no

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawKnee posted:

lol Dragon Age 2 has a better Metacritic rating than this does

It's just one point above Sonic Chronicles!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

There were a lot of people who got upset that he wasn't considered a good choice

I remember doing it the first time and going through the character descriptions on the page where you choose the person, it's literally something like:
Tali: A technical expert....
Legion: A machine designed for infiltration, legion is an expert hacker
Thane: an assassin...

The other choices are similar:
Squad leader was something like:
Miranda: Genetically engineered and raised for leadership...
Garrus: an expert in small unit tactics

I remember thinking "could they have made this any more obvious? Who could gently caress this up?" Everyone apparently.

Where you can lose people easily is on the "hold the line" part if you send a strong person with the crew and take 2 strong people with you to the boss.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

The worrying thing about the Suicide Mission is that when people got asked to pick a squad lead, their mind did not immediately jump to Garrus. Homeboy was presented as Shepard protege from the very beginning, and has been with you from the start.

Your mind went to the alcoholic failure over your boy Garrus? What game you been playing.

To be fair:
Miranda: got everyone in her research projects killed
Garrus: got his squad on omega killed
Zaeed: last survivor in every story he tells

None are actually presented as particularly good options tbh. As I said though the descriptions scream "PICK ME" for the correct options, regardless of plot points.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawKnee posted:

The one where he was a merc that had survived everything, with the experience to show for it? :shrug:

in hindsight yeah I should have remembered his stories about everyone around him dying

It is actually a kinda cool arc for his character if he sacrifices himself for the fire team though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Adept Shepard did the bubble and the vents nobody on the mission would ever die.

Sentinel surely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i was expecting once upon a time more dragon age origins prison break scenes from Future bioware wehre ur squad goes in sumwhere independent of u and u control & interact as tHem

to sleep perchance 2 dream

This was amazing and hilarious.

So I assume we'll never see anything like it again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Not denying this, just surprised considering both DA:I and Andromeda were Frostbite titles and clearly demonstrated that Bioware is pretty bad with the engine, especially when it comes to animations and game mechanics.

DAI was ok. What problems with animations made it through were really just notpicks or direct comparisons with the best animations ever in a video game (Witcher 3)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Does this mean Mass Effect 1 sold poorly or worse than poorly?

ME1 had 2 "story" DLC - bring down the sky and pinnacle station. That would be "poorly" on that scale but that was 9 years ago and DLC wasn't quite so ubiquitous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good Dumplings posted:

Synthwave tends to be really moody if not outright depressing though, ME1 was compelling mostly because it was one of the few future settings that's not a apocalyptic hellhole or corporate nightmare

Cyberpunk settings really suffer from being our current reality.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Furism posted:

Even if they were capable of doing it, EA/Bioware doesn't have the balls to make a game where one of the option is to burn a village of civilians to the ground or infect them with smallpox or flood them with whiskey because their stomach enzymes can't deal with them effectively. Sure they'd put you in the shoes of the conquered (that's the first trilogy) but they'll never design something where you're the conqueror. And I feel that's too bad and a missed opportunity to educate people.

You know how it's impossible to make a war film that won't be interpreted as pro war by someone? Same thing, but with colonialism is probably not something EA wants to do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hard counter posted:

you're giving andromeda too much credit, just look at the thread title

ME: Witcher 3 is good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I pick synthesis because how would that even work?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Like cup noodles?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Lobster sandwich is a trash sandwich. It's one of those bland foods people eat because it's expensive, like shark fin soup. Only less morally defensible.

Blatant troll for both people still living in Maine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Which one was the capital hub in da again

The one with like 4 buildings you can go into.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doesn't TOR make a surprising amount of money off hardcore Star Wars fans buying loot boxes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Didn't they release a mmog expansion without raids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's hard to take Sith and Jedi seriously when they wear more spikes than Warhammer 40K and feature armor that makes you look like an inverted triangle. Oh, and Bioware's consistently horrendous looking headgear. Literally the only good piece of headgear they have ever made in any game is the basic helmet from Mass Effect 1.

After it came up in the thread I watched a few of the story cutscenes from the previous expansion. I went ahead and downloaded the game and fired it up (free to play and I have level 60s).

The first thing I did was spend an hour trying to figure out how to glamour something not hideous. I failed.