Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
What does Kett sweat taste like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Pretty disappointed duderyder's default name isn't Richard.
Dick Rider would be the perfect name for a bioware protagonist.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I am disappointed that you can only be a human again. I was really hoping for Mass Effect 4 to allow you to play as one off the other alien races. I am still really excited for Andromeda, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty lame that we are traveling to another galaxy and we are still apparently only interacting with races we already know.

Yeah, same. Only human protagonists, and humans being the bestest at everything for no reason has always been one of the worst parts of mass effect.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

from the AMA

Q: i guess that the visual and narrative are similar to the previous Mass Effects, but, what is the first big difference you notice?

A: That's actually a really tricky question. Chronologically speaking, I don't know what the first big difference is that players will notice.
But, from a broader perspective, the biggest change I noticed was the drive toward more player-guided exploration.
Like, you know how doing side content in previous games always felt a little silly, because the world was basically ending and you were sitting there scanning for minerals or chilling in a dance club? In Andromeda, part of your directive is just "Explore and find a place where people can live." That's a pretty wide narrative pathway that means pretty much anything you choose to do is contributing your ultimate goal.
So you can do whatever seems fun to you – mining, crafting, loyalty missions, even entire optional planets – and all of it is part of your mission.
Of course, I'm sure Ryder faces some sort of threat, too. It's not just "My Andromeda Vacation," but the team at BioWare really seems to be focusing on the sense of discovery first and foremost.

Sweet, it's mass effect: skyrim

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I am okay with this.

I'm not. Skyrim is a terrible game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
DA3 is a good game with some side stuff that's pretty boring but also quite optional.
Lmao if you think a game is ruined because you have the option of running around picking flowers for 30 hours instead of doing the good parts.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I brought miranda on pretty much every single mission because she had warp and overload, so she countered every enemy in the game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

She is annoying. She stays on the Normandy.

Meh. At worst she's boring.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mass effect 2 had better combat in every single way, and going from heat to ammo was a large part of that.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Controversial opinion: new aliens look fine. Can't wait to shoot them in the face with my gun. And then hang out with my one alien friend that proves I'm not racist.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

Yeah those kets are pretty low effort .

You're pretty low effort.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Asari look just like humans. Game ruined.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Drifter posted:

(I let him win :blush:)

You are Hitler.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Or maybe they'll realize that it doesn't make sense not to have one and say that it broke :shrug:

This would make abundant sense though, because the milky way one would probably get blown up in the reaper invasion. And the andromeda cast could just write it off as "well, this technology has never been tested over these distances before, so maybe it just doesn't work".

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Now, I haven't played RDD, but I'm pretty sure it's poo poo because I don't think GTA would get good just because all the cars are now horses.
If anything I'd assume the opposite.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eej posted:

Have you considered... playing a game? Before judging it, that is... It would certainly give your most hottest of takes some more fire

I considered it, but in the end I decided against it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They're responsible for the Sole Survivor background too iirc. I don't think you can ever bring it up in 2 if you took it in 1.

e: Wait with that Alpha Protocol video Mina's a spy? I never realized that in three playthroughs.

I'm pretty sure the only person who's not at least a double agent in AP is like, Steven.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Bethesda, creators of some of the most acclaimed, top selling, most played RPGs of all time, have never made a good game.

This is correct. I tried so hard to like both skyrim and fallout 3. But it's just not possible. The games are garbage, and if you like them you don't have bad taste, you're just Wrong.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Transmetropolitan posted:

Also, yeah, another RPG contrivance full of poo poo: why the gently caress you have to go around to talk to everybody when you are the authority? Can't I just have a "tell X to meet me here ASAP" function? Come on devs you have or had bosses you know how it goes :v:

Yeah but most of the time you're talking to them as their friend, not their boss. I think walking around the castle or ship or whatever to talk to everyone is pretty fun, but it would be more fun without any loading screens.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Drifter posted:

Did you guys think the Dragon Fighting(tm) in Dragon Age INquisition was particularly strategic, or did you think it was just a long drawn out war of attrition between you and a damage sponge that hopped around and spat fire?

Eh, they were ok for the most part, but the combat worked much better against human-sized enemies.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It gets me every time when people talk about the "companion AI" in dragon age 3 or indeed any RTWP game, as if that's not just a thing you turn off as soon as you're able. Like, controlling the whole party is the entire point of those games.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you didn't play DA:I because this doesn't apply to it at all.

Yes, it really does, more than other RTWP games even, because you need to be able to combo abilities from different party members together. And it's been a while since I played, but didn't some enemy AOE abilities also put markers on the ground you had to move people out of?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Verviticus posted:

ive yet to play a game where i beat the main story and then wanted to beat the side quests. something about beating the game just devalues the rest of it for me

New Vegas.
Or well, I would have if I hadn't beaten all the side quests before I completed the main story quest.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

My understanding is that the Jacob romance is such textbook workplace harassment that it could show up in a training video.

I'm more interested in just "talking" for a bit :wink:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nevets posted:

Turians are of avian descent, right?

Turns out mass effect 2/3 was hatoful boyfriend all along.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Quorum posted:

This platform is immune to organic disease.

Geth do not intentionally seduce.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
We literally have no idea what happens if you travel faster than light, so I think it's quite ok to ignore scientific theory there.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

frajaq posted:

it's still funny that they only bothered to make a model for that for a DLC

I still think it's really dumb that they didn't just say that about half the turians in the games are female, but we can't tell the difference.

I mean loving hell it's basically what they did with the salarians.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

We know exactly what happens if you travel faster than light: You arrive at your destination before you left.

No, we don't know if that's what happens at all, because nobody has ever gone faster than light.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm pretty sure that at some point in ME3's development, bioware decided that RPGs are actually old and busted and nobody wants them anymore, and that they just wanted to make slightly more complex Gears of War in space.

ME3 isn't really an RPG, but it's extremely good when compared to gears of war.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Alain Post posted:

This is defensible because the RPG mechanics are by far the worst part of ME1.

RPG mechanics are not the defining part of an RPG, the ability to role-play is.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Alain Post posted:

I have a bold statement about game design. If there is content in a game, it should be good, and not bad.

Sure, ideally, but if there's bad content in a game that's pretty much completely ignorable, I don't think that content being in the game makes the game bad.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Zzulu posted:

everyone except wrex was poo poo in me1

Wrex was loving terrible, though. The only good thing you can say about him is that at least he's not Grunt.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This thread gave me cerebral ballsy.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

no bones about it posted:

I preordered it, it's me, i'm the consumer whore

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I likely will preorder as well.
Please gently caress me harder, EA.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nevets posted:

Don't make assumptions, the central plot for Andromeda might be that the native aliens are slowly dying out due to a lack of genetic diversity and it is up to newShephard to gently caress them back to life.

This would unironically be amazing. Embrace what you've become, bioware, and make this game the largest most diverse dating sim ever.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because they killed off Emily Wong in a twitter update.

Brain hemorrhage from repeated facepunches from cyborg space marine?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I can't keep track of all these bloody journalists.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mass Effect 4 could've worked just fine with any of the 3 endings, as long as it was written by a good writer.

Actually I dunno how the hell synthesis could've worked, but the other two could've been just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nevets posted:

Yeah, I never even looked at the MP, but did all the side missions and everyone lived. Except Shepherd and Starchild (and EDI), took that little fucker down guns blazing. No weirdo man-machine synthesis poo poo for me.

Shepard surviving is the best ending.