Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
People got strong opinions about video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Iron Bull betraying me in Trespasser because I made the "wrong" choice (which honestly seemed like the thing he would appreciate more) was a pleasant surprise.

An actual (minor) consequence in a Bioware game? My word!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bud K ninja sword posted:

Shaka, As the shields fell.

be original and descriptive brochacho.

Temba, his arms open (from gunshot wounds.)

a primate posted:

I just want a cool shootmans with space people and lots of adventure and intrigue and I think it will probably deliver on these modest wishes.

Same here.

Also, guys, GUYS! I had a thought.

What if some of the Reapers followed through Dark Space?!?! What if it's not just the Milky Way that's under their space-thumbtentacle?!?!

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i give it a nonzero chance that some of the reapers that were hanging out in the black between galaxies decided it made as much sense to go towards andromeda as it did the milky way as a end game twist nothing is impossible

... drat me for reading the entire topic before posting! Gonna do it anyway.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lol, just lol if you wear a watch at all.

\/\/\/\/ Joke's on you; it's always Hammer Time. :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 9, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Turbl posted:

This is my favorite Bioware game trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQXplXYxcc

Everything has been said before
There's nothing left to say anymore
When it's all the same
You can ask for it by name
Babble babble bitch bitch
Rebel rebel party party
Sex sex sex and don't forget the violence
Blah blah blah got your lovey-dovey sad-and-lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing along
Rebel rebel party party
Everybody sing
Are you motherfuckers ready
For the new poo poo?
Stand up and admit
Tomorrow's never coming
This is the new poo poo
Stand up and admit
Do we "get" it? NO
Do we want it? YEAH
This is the new poo poo
Stand up and admit

Rebel rebel party party
Everybody sing along
Everything has been said before
There's nothing left to say anymore
When it's all the same
You can ask for it by name
For the new poo poo?
Stand up and admit,
Tomorrow's never coming
This is the new poo poo
Stand up and admit
Do we get it? no
Do we want it? yeah
This is the new poo poo
Stand up and admit
And now it's you know who
I got the you know what
I stick it you know where
You know why, you don't care
I got the you know what
I got the you know what
I got the you know what

Rebel rebel party party
Everybody sing.
For the new poo poo?
Stand up and admit
Tomorrow's never coming
This is the new poo poo
Stand up and admit
Do we get it? no
Do we want it? yeah
This is the new poo poo
Stand up and admit
So let us entertain you
Let us entertain you
Blah blah blah blah everybody sing along

It's like Manson had his fingers for a second on the pulse of consumers and Goons. (Eww.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Why does a game that looks this lovely have such insane system requirements?

All you need to play it is one Xbone, though? That's actually quite reasonable considering the age of the hardware involved.

I don't get it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

why would you buy an xbone when you can have a ps4 though

Why would you buy a PS4 when you could have a good console with good connection speeds that most (all, in my case) of the games you want to play come out on, with free Xbox 360 backcompatibility, with two (EA and Non-EA) Netflix-like services with large libraries which allow you to download all the currently available games you like versus streaming them, which also happens to be the most affordable Ultra BluRay player on the market instead?

People make weird choices driven by peer pressure I guess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

:lol: Best response to an halfassed response to a console warrior. :)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

ME1, 2 and 3 are objectively good games

discuss

Yeah, they are Art. They make you Feel Things.

What those things are are up to you and are all perfectly natural.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorGonzo posted:

I really dont understand the guys complaining about opinions. Nobody cares what you think someone should think

Peoplegoons have strong opinions and must be heard! Then they hand out red titles!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

I hope that too, but I find that having low expectations for video games is pretty much always good.

I find that not taking things super badly if things don't turn out the way my imagination builds them up to be works, too.

I realize that's not for everyone.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

trash person posted:

This is gonna be the first ME game I play on PC (for the most part).

Is KBM generally ok or am I hookin up my xbox controller

That depends on what kind of Stockholm Syndrome you have.

Vickers posted:

Weird question not sure if it's been asked before:

Gonna pick this up on the Xbox, I have EA Access there; will the Pathfinder helmet already be attached to the preview we get Thursday?

Probably. It doesn't make sense to offer the game early and not let you use all your bribespreorder stuff.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about getting it.

Do people think Bioware are capable of creating a well done cohesive ending, that maintains the illusion of choice across all the games in the series in a satisfying way?

I think I'd enjoy playing it if i felt confident it's not going to end on a starchild note.

Still holding a grudge about Contact?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If they'd only had the balls to show Tali's photograph as some kind of Carpenter style Thing, but Shep acts exactly the same.

Totally worth it.

Agreed.

Zzulu posted:

internet hiveminds are a powerful thing

Once the hateball gets rolling people always take things too far... Especially people with no strong opinions of their own who just start echoing other peoples opinions until the echo gets so loud it's just a bunch of retarded monkey noise

*checks notebook*

Oh and, gamers are the worst

Why should this thread be any different?

nopantsjack posted:

I might be remembering it incorrectly it's been ages, but couldn't you kinda undo the genophage in ME1/2 then in ME3 they're like "it wasn't quite undone I guess, do you want to do it again?"

Also then I guess it didnt matter cause starchild blew up the Galaxy and paragon femshep became a reaper goddess.

E didn't they also come out saying the relays didn't actually blow up even though you get a cutscenes of the Normandy desperately outrunning a relay explosion?

Fwiw I didn't mind the ending at the yime, I thought the rest of the story was pretty bad and dismissive of your previous choices though. That seems to be the opposite of a lot of people's ME3 experience though.

The Relays were all burnt out by whatever choice you made (unless you Trainspotted on out of there.) The only person that knew this would happen was Sheppard. The Normandy was running away during the pulse thingy, and they didn't want to get fried by the pulse. They showed and didn't tell, I guess people wanted more telling and less showing or something.

The ending was fine. Not great, but fine. It was either gonna be a Contact-like ending, or one of those endings where everything is explained so much that the mysterious ineffable antagonists come off as pathetically human.

Plus, in the age of 3D modeling and full voice acting, the budget will never be there for 2D games with Infinity Engine-level storyline complexity... unless you're Polish, obviously. Certainly not EA. Superficial resolution is a more realistic outcome annoying as it is.

It's about managing expectations, I guess.

DancingShade posted:

You should try playing a game called Dreamfall Chapters.

I've heard good things. I probably should.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 14, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I bet this game will be pretty good. I sort of skipped around that Polygon stream but I don't want to burn myself out with excitement or pre-release fatigue or whatever it is.

When it comes out, Imma buy it, and play it, and not lose my poo poo either way.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

some people's obsession with posting about how bad this game is and how much they want Bioware to fail is bordering on mental ilness

this isn't directed at anyone specific in this thread because i almost never read this thread

Quick! He's questioned the GoonMind! RED TITLE HIM AT ONCE.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AngryBooch posted:

Maybe Bioware shouldn't have made the good parts of ME3 payed DLC or something???

Drifter posted:

I'm not saying you should pirate things, because that is clearly wrong. What I am saying is that maybe you pay full price for a game you should get the full loving game, you know what I'm saying?

New copies of the game came with a code in the box. Mine did.

eleven extra elephants posted:

The amount of dialogue that gets cut off is driving me nuts, if you do anything other than walk to your destinations as your companions are talking they get cut off by a new line every 10 seconds. Irritating

Agreed.

precision posted:

I thought it was supposed to sound like Afrikaans, which is admittedly the most confusing accent in the universe (same one that Donovan Hock had)

Pretty sure it's West African.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, why do we need this masturbatory spaceflight scene just to change planets in a system every single loving time? They've had this down-pat since goddamn ME2, (zoom in, click planet, done) and it drives me up the wall trying to simply take a quick look at a planet for the percentage or an anomaly.

I know, right? Things should happen instantly with no animations when I click on them, like harvesting minerals and interstellar flight.

I don't think I'm being precious. Luckily I can cheatmodify my game so it's good.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Man, this is the worst consolitis I've seen in a while. The UI is neverendingly frustrating on PC. Double-ESC to close map, can't use ESC to close scanner mode, gotta hold down E to interact with anything, popups blocking information about upgrades, . submenus everywhere. Just a real steaming pile.

Is there even a way to look one direction while running another?

It makes you realize how messed up using office productivity hardware instead of a game controller truly is.

evilmiera posted:

It just exists to pad out the playtime or to hide a bad system. But it does so in a very bad way that makes you not want to switch between areas to do other things. Inquisition did this better and that was still not really great.

Nah. The animations are meant to look good. The gathering horseshit for crafting and things like that... that's full-on padding.

escalator dropdown posted:

The baffling thing is that there's so many menus/UIs and they're all bad in unique ways! You'd think they'd make one of them good even by accident given how many there are, but nope!

Taear posted:

The dialogue wheel reminds me a bit of Dragon Age 2. I feel like I'm not looking at what it says, just the icon. And often what it does say is REALLY different to what actually comes out.

I can say to Lexi "That sounds interesting" as a flirty response and somehow that means "Let us go out to dinner" when the character says it.

Yeah I wish I could just be pleasantly noncommittal in tone.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, that was the main problem with the conversation. You basically get the crux of their moving to Andromeda dropped on you with one inquiry for no real reason, especially considering this is like 800 years into the future or close to it and you're spending your days banging aliens, AIs and whatever else you happen to come across and it never gets brought up as strange or different. And I doubt most people would care if you are trans or not by that point, especially considering the advances in biotech that can just make the transition complete without most any kind of treatments if people are being brought back from the dead, cloned or just genetically altered all over the place.

DrNutt posted:

Maybe in the future of the Mass Effect universe no one gives a gently caress about "DEADNAMING" because people care reassign their gender at will and no one cares anymore.

Like yeah, yeah, this is a game made in 2017 so maybe Ryder should have to spend 20 hours interacting with Hainly and becoming besties before she opens up with that info but Jesus Christ people read that in the least charitable way possible. I like the idea of an enlightened optimistic future re: LGBTQ issues.

sneakyfrog posted:

eh it might have been an attempt at inclusiveness that wasnt properly researched on tumblr exhaustively. Or maybe in andromeda in the distant future people have bigger problems then giving a gently caress who someone you arent trying to gently caress gender identifies?

Or, you know, if they could just correct the dysphoria with their future-tech. They skirted pretty close to actually talking about stuff like that in ME1 with that one couple on the Citadel that Shepard either convinced to get the in vitro gene therapy or not. The concept of that quest was, wouldn't you want to make sure your kids aren't defective in any way, if you had the tech and could do it safely? An ethical dilemma for sure.

That kind of thing was promptly dropped when EA bought Bioware, as a "what if" it can understandably be unpleasant for people to consider and EA/Bioware (admirably) wants to be inclusive.

But still...

:can:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

The people who make these games make drat sure to pre justify any accidental imperialism you get up to by making everything and everyone hostile on sight. "It's coming right at us!!" bang bang... bang... bang bang bang

What they really need to do in a video game is for the main character talk about important social issues with the antagonists, because

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

All I want is an ME2 remake that changes these two things:
1. Give it ME3- style combat.
2. Allow our squadmates to wander the ship and interact, again like ME3 or, yes, ME:A.

ME2 is far and away the best game but it did have some limitations. Remove those limitations and it becomes supreme in every category.

You fight a giant space baby skeleton, though. That part is dumb.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The conversations in this game remind me of what idiots think Joss Whedon dialogue sounds like, only Joss Whedon dialogue is actually cool and good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I love Drack, but it seems like just about every time I've got a good bead with my sniper rifle, his fat rear end runs right in front of me when I take the shot

Well, you're taking too long. :ms:

Also, I think I know why I didn't lose my poo poo about the ME3 ending. It's because the giant space baby skeleton is just so stupid, nothing can possibly be more stupid and all other fuckups pale in comparison.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

I have been, it's helped but I'm not getting the stuff I actually need from it. Sure have a lot of Crusaders though!

Crusaders are the best shotgun, actually.

Zero VGS posted:

Fun fact, a loving 1080ti Founders Edition with a 3440x1440 gsync monitor, can only drive the TITLE SCREEN of this game at 55fps.

It must be hard to be a PC gamer.

Carebearz posted:

You're also used to coming from Krogan Vanguard X to starting over again.

Everyone in the Milky Way is dead, see?

tooterfish posted:

It's the endless chewing that does it for me.

I don't understand how they do it. One hand for keyboard, one hand for mouse... how are they still constantly shovelling loving Doritos into their face?

It's amazing how much further one can adapt when one has already adapted to using office equipment designed for spreadsheets, etc, to play games, isn't it? Truly amazing times we live in.

Frush posted:

It's one of the mysteries of xbox live for me: Why does EVERY random I play with have a thick southern drawl? It's definitely not a local accent (:canada:) but every random on the mic is some good ol' boy from Texas apparently.

Rural folk (an hour's drive out from a major city, even northern ones) often sound like that. Mostly harmless.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

Look at you thinking it's the same game. There's so many little weird plot bits - like everything involving the architects and the Roekaar - that it's got to have been re-done and re-written a billion times.

Having an "open world" kind of works in favor of all the rewrites, it makes them slightly less obvious.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished the game the other day, and it's not terrible. It's. It's not great either, but it's not that bad.

The answer, it seems is somewhere in the middle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zikan posted:

You don't get the resources back 100% and some of the rare resources like element zero drop in small quantities unless you grind them and are used in a surprising number of blueprints.

I distinctly remember having to grind e-zero since the armor and half the weapons I was using needed it.

At the end of the game I had so many materials (even platinum, my personal roadblock) that it didn't matter, just like most RPGs.

Crafting is crafting is crafting in this game and every other game with crafting: useless until you figure out something you really like and only go for those things.

For me, it was the Heleus Icon armor set, the Crusader shotgun (gently caress pellet spread shotguns forever,) the Raptor sniper rifle, the Hurricane SMG, and the Hyperguardian armor set.

I hear the PAW is good, maybe I will gently caress around with that on another play through.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Never let things go, Goons.

Never let things go.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chiasaur11 posted:

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past...

Learning from the past implies willingness to change and/or let things go...

:)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah James Gunn will want to stop making billion dollar movies to work on a video game franchise that's been dead and gay for 6 years

Some video game franchises may already be dead and gay, you see! Look closely.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This but the exact opposite

Nah bro.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sturmtiger IV posted:

I feel Liam and a couple others also suffered from Sera's greasy-face disorder. I think they screwed up Liam's screentime, especially early on. He seems like an agreeable sort, and I like his friendship with Jaal, but all those awkward shirtless scenes early on def did not endear me to him.

Ripped dudes actually do that all the time IRL. :sigh:

Kalaxus posted:

Thank you everyone that responded to my recommendation request. Forgot about the sequels getting shelved, wish they weren't wasting our time with this new IP then next Dragon Age timetable. They need to lease out the Mass Effect license like Fallout did for New Vegas.

That other company would do a better job than Bioware. Not the EA Way™.

That, or EA would have to immediately acquire and liquidate this upstart developer.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wiki writers never write the things you assume they would get right on anymore.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They probably changed the multiplayer classes so that people would have to cooperate for combo synergy.

lol, what idiots Bioware are...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Haha, stupid game designers designing their game to make people cooperate and communicate and not solo things.

Total fuckwits, amirite?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No developer's gonna make me turn on my mic!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

not sure what you're going for here dude?

You're not the boss of me.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Some sort of bullshit about how we are supposed to use the mic to coordinate with total strangers.

Sorry friend, I'm not that starved for contact and would rather be able to do cool things my self.

Man, you should be a dev! :)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Holy poo poo someone used Bing as a verb. :eyepop:

Someone tell Steve Ballmer it finally worked.

It's pretty fetch that you think this is a thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nah

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

nope. people who buy red text avatars are dumb as poo poo.

They sure are.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

It's still worth every penny

Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

I didnt get NV until it was £2 in a steam sale and I legit feel bad I didnt give them more money

Perhaps it is not too late for an open minded, Inquisitive mindset?

Hmm? Maybe?

...Nah, probably not.

JawKnee posted:

just finished Witcher 3 a couple days ago. Good game, though I still don't care about Geralt, and the game assumes you'll know what the hell the plot is leading into it - which I didn't - but it isn't crucial to enjoying the game.

It's kind of a jump from the second game, which I barely remember. I never felt like the game expected me to have played the other ones... but I did read the hell out of the Codex. I love me some reading in my video games.