Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
You people do realize you're posting in one of the most liberal sub forums on the internet, one which has resulted in our entire forum being branded SJWs for over a decade, and you're complaining about some secret alt right racist moderation conspiracy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

You have to realize framing it that way kind of ends the conversation.

Look, I'm just some goon who likes these forums and would like them to improve.

I made a suggestion once that we add a black mod to D&D. That suggestion got a prominent thread gassed. I don't know how to help and every time I reply to you I'm terrified of getting banned because of the situation.

Obviously you'd probably rather do anything else, but please read or at least skim that thread I linked.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Okay, let me get this straight, I'm now racist because I banned somebody trying to scare people into thinking we have their CC information, which is a complete lie made up just to get people freaked out. A person who admitted to running MySQL attacks against our forums (which all failed, by the way). But those reasons were not justification for a ban, so obviously it's because I'm racist.

Did I miss anything?

The tl;dr of that thread is that ExMarx has a hateboner for like four separate prominent black posters, and told them to get out of the major threads and only post about racial issues in dedicated threads. The big takeaways were that D&D needs more/more active mods for American posting hours, and preferably a minority viewpoint somewhere in there.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

This thread was created because white posters of D&D could not handle black posters posting about the black perspective on America and its politics, so we got shuffled off to our little hood.

I don't care about Negromancer's ban because he was being dumb about CCs, but why do we have to be shuffled away for posting while black.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

WampaLord posted:

Look, I'm just some goon who likes these forums and would like them to improve.

I made a suggestion once that we add a black mod to D&D. That suggestion got a prominent thread gassed. I don't know how to help and every time I reply to you I'm terrified of getting banned because of the situation.

Obviously you'd probably rather do anything else, but please read or at least skim that thread I linked.
I'm sorry but I have never once asked or looked into our questioned the ethnicity of anybody on the forums, either mod or admin or user. I do not see how skin color is more important that personal views or qualifications regarding the forums.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is one thing I've wanted to ask the thread's opinion on previously but didn't want to interrupt ongoing conversation. There seems to me to be a widespread expectation of forgiveness place upon family members of slain people of color, that somehow the proper thing to do, almost automatically, is to express forgiveness of the killer, almost regardless of any other consideration, and that should a person of color not extend that forgiveness, they're somehow exceptionally worked up or out of line to the point where their anger invalidates anything else they may have to say on the subject. Personally, I've more than once found it exceptionally crass how quickly interviewers often jump to the "do you forgive his/her killer?" question, like some sort of bizarre shibboleth on Good Black BehaviorTM. And as a result, I have to wonder if all such expressions of forgiveness are sincere, or in some cases are said simply because it's what white people expect and yet another unjust hoop that must be jumped through as part of daily life. Or am I entirely out of line here?

its way more likely that the families/friends of the murdered churchgoers are devout christians

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

I'm sorry but I have never once asked or looked into our questioned the ethnicity of anybody on the forums, either mod or admin or user. I do not see how skin color is more important that personal views or qualifications regarding the forums.

But there are a number of people who feel that moderation is not handled fairly when it comes to race, and they would prefer to have some reassurance that it is, and providing some reassurance that the mods have diverse experiences is one way they can see to improve that situation that doesn't involve major disruptions to the forums.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

have you ever had a real job

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Fluffdaddy posted:

This thread was created because white posters of D&D could not handle black posters posting about the black perspective on America and its politics, so we got shuffled off to our little hood.

I don't care about Negromancer's ban because he was being dumb about CCs, but why do we have to be shuffled away for posting while black.
I have no clue who's black, who's posting where or why, or even what the gently caress "posting while black" means. poo poo, it's a loving internet forum on a goddamn comedy website.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Lol at how fragile he is

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

It's this. We are, in exmarx's own words, contained here, yet we are still deumanized and bombarded with racism.

A white poster even started a qcs thread to address it, because it was that bad. Literally started a thread that black posters had nothing to do with, because it became so blatant. We are even punished harder than other posters for calling out racism.

I report racists in here and the misogynoir thread and at worst they get sixers, yet if one of us gets "uppity" we get 3 days at the very least. And on top of it you have posters running around mad because they want tocall people niggers saying we can't take a joke. It's not a joke.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I have no clue who's black, who's posting where or why, or even what the gently caress "posting while black" means. poo poo, it's a loving internet forum on a goddamn comedy website.

"I don't see race."

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Lowtax posted:

You people do realize you're posting in one of the most liberal sub forums on the internet, one which has resulted in our entire forum being branded SJWs for over a decade, and you're complaining about some secret alt right racist moderation conspiracy, right?

Nice hyperbole but they've only pointed out the double standards and bias of some of the mods.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The fact that the sentiment exists should be reason enough to address it in my opinion.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

the white hand posted:

have you ever had a real job
Yeah, I've been a full-time babysitter for going on 17 years now.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Lol when I got probated for a few months total because the mod thought I was white and ironically calling out his racism

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Since you're here, stay a while and listen.

Panfilo posted:

Something I've noticed regarding Somethingawful board culture:

SA is among the more outspoken message boards when it comes to speaking out against pedophilia. People that promote, rationalize, or defend it are sharply ostracized and banned. Previous tolerance of it ("Mods knew" meme, Frontpage content ) are seen as shameful and bad. So there's this understanding that the board culture doesn't tolerate it and a poster that condones it will be run out. People also don't get away with talking about it ironically either.

This isn't necessarily because most goons have children: I'd argue the majority on SA don't. And not everybody themselves was molested or necessarily knew someone that was. So at this point, most goons are sharing these opinions about it out of empathy and justice. Supposedly.

Here's where it gets turned on its head. Replace 'pedophilia' with 'racism' and its a different story. You can be racist shitheel and goons will tolerate it, defend it, rationalize it, and turn on the person of color speaking out. It's the same story with sexism as well. Goons like to feel good about themselves by contrasting themselves with egregious imgur or reddit posts but that's really like bragging about being the world's tallest midget here. We don't have a down vote system, but that doesn't stop people from getting reported and red texted for wrongthink in board culture.

Goons can't seem to apply the same rancor they have against underage anime waifus for actual racism and sexism on the boards. Which makes me question the sincerity they have for the former. The cynic in me feels like taking an 'anti pedophile' stance on SA is popular not because its a decent attitude to have about the subject but because it's a safe opinion to have right now. Speaking out about racists and sexists, to the average white cis poster, risks being on the wrong side of the argument since the board culture isn't as strongly against racism and sexism.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lowtax, I realize that you may not know the backgrounds of people posting here but the mods and regulars do.

Hell, if you have the time to skim this or the misogynoir thread, it will fill you in and possibly help you get where we are coming from. I am the OP of the misogynoir thread and I talk a lot about my personal experiences, as do others, I think it'd be a great tool for you if you really want to participate in this discussion and get down to the nitty gritty about peoples complaints here.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

" It's Just A Joke, Bro "

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Koalas March posted:

It's this. We are, in exmarx's own words, contained here, yet we are still deumanized and bombarded with racism.

A white poster even started a qcs thread to address it, because it was that bad. Literally started a thread that black posters had nothing to do with, because it became so blatant. We are even punished harder than other posters for calling out racism.

I report racists in here and the misogynoir thread and at worst they get sixers, yet if one of us gets "uppity" we get 3 days at the very least. And on top of it you have posters running around mad because they want tocall people niggers saying we can't take a joke. It's not a joke.

Anybody using the word niggers should be banned, no questions asked. Please show me any examples of it and I will personally ban them.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Lowtax posted:

Did I miss anything?

Lowtax posted:

So yeah, you missed plenty. I get that the internet's been unusually lovely to you the last couple of days, but there's a bunch of context and history that you aren't aware of.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

Anybody using the word niggers should be banned, no questions asked. Please show me any examples of it and I will personally ban them.

This is it, this is "getting it"

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shoulda called him Woke Tax!!!!!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Lowtax posted:

racism is more than one explicit slur hth

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Lowtax, what are you hoping the end result is going to be here?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

signalnoise posted:

The fact that the sentiment exists should be reason enough to address it in my opinion.

Okay, then nominate a black poster who has a good posting history and would make a reliable and fair mod, and I'll mod them. Like I said, I don't look into race when moderating people, but it's apparently a big deal for your all, so I have no problem with letting race determine who mods your sub forum.

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Hahaha :five:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Okay, then nominate a black poster who has a good posting history and would make a reliable and fair mod, and I'll mod them. Like I said, I don't look into race when moderating people, but it's apparently a big deal for your all, so I have no problem with letting race determine who mods your sub forum.

Koalas March.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Lowtax posted:

good posting history is a requisite for modship???

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Koalas March.

I second this.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How does everybody feel about the black characters in Westworld? Trying to avoid major spoilers in case people haven't yet seen it, I watched it last week while in Japan and that aspect kept popping into my head while doing so. I haven't read or engaged in any discussion on it, so I have no idea what's been said elsewhere. On the first watch through there doesn't seem to be a racial aspect to it though I know this is skewed via my privilege lens. That said, Maeve's plot line has racial undertones. Also, although POC seem to be decently represented in the cast, especially major characters, I don't recall there being any "park guests" that weren't white.

I really need to re-watch it as I feel like there are plenty of easter eggs in the first half based on revelations in the second half.

Edit: wow, left this reply open long enough that we moved on to important poo poo.

highme fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2017

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

poo poo, it almost sounded like a principle when you said that you weren't going to look into ethnicity, no surprise you walked it back I guess

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Koalas March.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I nominate Tiny Brontosaurus

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

WampaLord posted:

Koalas March.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
One of the things that tends to happen is that people say a bunch of bigoted poo poo for a while, someone gets angry and responds, and the person who responded gets probated or banned, but the bigot doesn't because they used coded poo poo instead of outright slurs.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Who What Now posted:

Lowtax, what are you hoping the end result is going to be here?

Listening to what you people have to say and, while personally disagreeing with the notion behind it, letting you have what you want. Tell me which black person would make a good mod and I will mod them.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Koalas March.

She's good and I also suggest her.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lowtax posted:

Listening to what you people have to say and, while personally disagreeing with the notion behind it, letting you have what you want. Tell me which black person would make a good mod and I will mod them.

Fair enough, then. I'll support Koala's March as well in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

the white hand posted:

Also I nominate Tiny Brontosaurus

changing my answer to this just to see exmarx tears

• Locked thread