Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/Russian_Starr/status/913579652488290304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm not sure how much influence the guy in this video actually has, but hot drat it's about time somebody said what he said in the last few minutes of the video.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/913595160214286336

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm not sure how much influence the guy in this video actually has, but hot drat it's about time somebody said what he said in the last few minutes of the video.

He's in charge of the air force academy. He's got a lot of influence.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Air Force Academy has had a lot of problems with gross right-wing Christian intolerance in the past, so it's cool to see the current superintendent (who just took over this August) lay the smack down on that poo poo here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sean10mm posted:

The Air Force Academy has had a lot of problems with gross right-wing Christian intolerance in the past, so it's cool to see the current superintendent (who just took over this August) lay the smack down on that poo poo here.

There are some serious systemic problems with religious discrimination and fundamentalist take over in the Air Force generally and the Air Force Academy specifically, a lot of the fundamentalist super churches set up shop around the academy to indocrinate the classes as they come. I can't even imagine being a POC or a sexual or religious minority at the Air Force Academy, the stories that come out of there are nothing short of nightmarish.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

There are some serious systemic problems with religious discrimination and fundamentalist take over in the Air Force generally and the Air Force Academy specifically, a lot of the fundamentalist super churches set up shop around the academy to indocrinate the classes as they come. I can't even imagine being a POC or a sexual or religious minority at the Air Force Academy, the stories that come out of there are nothing short of nightmarish.

Yeah, the air force is not as cool as Stargate made it look :(

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Colorado Springs is awful.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

highme posted:

Colorado Springs is awful.

Isn't that the home of purity balls and other fundamentalist bullshit?

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Colorado Springs is home to Focus on the Family, which is one of the more insane fundamentalist hate groups that wields some lobbying power.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Morby posted:

Isn't that the home of purity balls and other fundamentalist bullshit?

Yep. It was the place where that fundie pastor that got caught doing meth with a gay prostitute.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/29/lkl.ted.haggard/

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Lightning Knight posted:

Onward Christian Soldier, indeed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

biracial bear for uncut posted:

He's a fine leader and I'll say this: during my time in, I was fortunate to have certain commanding officers that proved a point with similar things, but to mention the other leaders I was with. During the last 4 years of my enlistment I was stationed at an intense accelerated school as an instructor. Our battalion commanders were excellent individuals with the same ideology as the Lieutenant General linked. The brothers and sisters I served with were exceptional people, our bond was there is no color, we are all either green or brown. All of us. I know that's not everyone's experience, but there are people that live it and try to insert it into the world. The younger generations are coming into play finally, myself and many others that were in moved back to our birthplace and the changes in the area are starting to take hold. It's slow, but it's even affecting the older folks that didn't have this bond or were sheltered in their culture here.

I know it's :words: but I felt that sharing would maybe give some perspective on what is happening here, and I hope elsewhere, spreading faster. I hope this doesn't sound like a brag or blowing smoke up my own rear end, it just seemed love a thing to be proud of and look forward to. Namaste.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

PathAsc posted:

He's a fine leader and I'll say this: during my time in, I was fortunate to have certain commanding officers that proved a point with similar things, but to mention the other leaders I was with. During the last 4 years of my enlistment I was stationed at an intense accelerated school as an instructor. Our battalion commanders were excellent individuals with the same ideology as the Lieutenant General linked. The brothers and sisters I served with were exceptional people, our bond was there is no color, we are all either green or brown. All of us. I know that's not everyone's experience, but there are people that live it and try to insert it into the world. The younger generations are coming into play finally, myself and many others that were in moved back to our birthplace and the changes in the area are starting to take hold. It's slow, but it's even affecting the older folks that didn't have this bond or were sheltered in their culture here.

I know it's :words: but I felt that sharing would maybe give some perspective on what is happening here, and I hope elsewhere, spreading faster. I hope this doesn't sound like a brag or blowing smoke up my own rear end, it just seemed love a thing to be proud of and look forward to. Namaste.

Hearing stories of hope here and there is one of the things that brightens my day and outlook even in this crazy, lovely point in time. Thank you for sharing.

e: poo poo, I thought this was the Trump thread - I've seen that awesome video posted around a lot of places. My compliment stands, but for disclosure, I'm white and have been lurking this thread a while now, listening and learning a lot my keeping my drat mouth shut. Which I will now return to til I have something substantial to say. :)

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 30, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

morcant posted:

Hearing stories of hope here and there is one of the things that brightens my day and outlook even in this crazy, lovely point in time. Thank you for sharing.

e: poo poo, I thought this was the Trump thread - I've seen that awesome video posted around a lot of places. My compliment stands, but for disclosure, I'm white and have been lurking this thread a while now, listening and learning a lot my keeping my drat mouth shut. Which I will now return to til I have something substantial to say. :)

Same, I feel like I've had a much different experience in the last 13 years, but that doesn't mean it's common, I fear it's quite the opposite. I want to learn and find ways to adapt the culture I'm in more. Thanks for the compliment, I do hope it is worth something to people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This article on colonialism mostly contains what thread residents already know, but it's still good and a handy, quick resource for sharing.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's a good read, a couple of things I wasn't aware of in there as well. Thank you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Today I asked a white man why he thought it was okay to call me "it" and he said:

Whiter than phosphorus and just as painful when it goes off in your face.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Today I asked a white man why he thought it was okay to call me "it" and he said:

Whiter than phosphorus and just as painful when it goes off in your face.

I agree with your frustration, but maybe you should black his name put so you don't get accused of doxxing him.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

I agree with your frustration, but maybe you should black his name put so you don't get accused of doxxing him.

It's not a real name.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's not a real name.

D'oh

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress that dude if that is his real name anyways

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Racist ol one ball.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Since the other thread was closed I guess I will go back to updating everyone in this thread.

I found a place to live at the end of the month! I've got the deposit in already but I am still short of the rent.

Today is my birthday! I never thought I'd be bringing in my year stuck in a hotel with my dog.

So I am still looking for whatever help I can at my paypal (link). About 800 short of my target, which hopefully I will be able to cover most of myself.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 8, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

Since the other thread was closed I guess I will go back to updating everyone in this thread.

I found a place to live at the end of the month! I've got the deposit in already but I am still short of the rent.

Today is my birthday! I never thought I'd be bringing in my year stuck in a hotel with my dog.

So I am still looking for whatever help I can at my paypal . About 800 short of my target, which hopefully I will be able to cover most of myself.

Happy birthday! :toot:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Hey TB, I wanted to PM you, but I know you don't have that anymore. Do you have a stockpile of cute brontosaurus pics for your avatar, or should I use my own discretion? You can post them here, or you can email me at redacted@redacted.com. Your current av is a little more clever (in a purely intellectual sense) than most of the dumb, evil, stupid bullshit that you and other TGRS folks get stuck with, but it still needs to go.

Get back to me fast; I'd prefer to edit my burner email address out ASAP.

Edit: beaten to the punch I see. Well, next time then.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 9, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So is it just me or is there a lot less Finn in the Star Wars trailer.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Agree, but what they did show was nice. There was so much going on in that trailer that I don't really fault them for it. There was only a tiny amount of Carrie Fisher, too.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Might be that the overall film just focuses on Rey/Rylo poo poo more, or that they're deliberately hiding Fins stuff so as not to give anything away... Or they jsut think Rey becoming a Jedi and Rylo getting more Sithy is what will draw people in.

They'd be half right.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

blackguy32 posted:

I'm honestly surprised the entire thing wasn't portrayed like it was going to be nothing but Mark Hamill being the Yoda to Daisy Ridley's Skywalker in basically another Empire Strikes Back retread (none of the other characters from the previous movie making an appearance).

Yes I'm completely ignoring the other movie because I got so bored watching it that I never finished it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Didn't Finn go into a coma at the end of TFA?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah. I thought Finn was going to be a Jedi and was disappointed that he became more of a comedic sidekick as the movie went on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Shortest Path posted:

Didn't Finn go into a coma at the end of TFA?

I'm pretty sure Finn became Not-Han-Solo Pilot Guy's sidekick and was seen on the base having a "Hey buddy it's great to see you!" reunion during the ending scenes before the credits rolled, but I'd have to watch the movie again to be sure.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

blackguy32 posted:

There was a lot less Finn but he had a sick nasty lightsaber and got to fight the Boba Fett replacement lady so gently caress yeah.

I have low expectations for this movie.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Maybe I need to re-watch the first one but I don't remember Finn being that involved in Rey's storyline and it seems like they want to focus on her. But if you wanna talk about characters who were marketed to be a major part and then get shafted, I'm more bitter about the Dark Tower but that's a rant not for this thread haha. I have notice people seem to be genuinely more for characters in fiction to be represented, i.e. more poc women and men, and less focused on there should be more poc writers and directors.

I think this is a big problem in media itself, people forget that the writers and directors are the ones who tell a story, and if it's a engaging story (which is just hard to do in the first place) people tend to write what they know.

Fake Edit: This isn't meant to put down the discussion, I guess I'm just kind of rambling ranting a bit.

Nude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 11, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's a visibility thing.

Actors are more visible than directors, who are a lot more visible than writers.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Nude posted:

Maybe I need to re-watch the first one but I don't remember Finn being that involved in Rey's storyline and it seems like they want to focus on her. But if you wanna talk about characters who were marketed to be a major part and then get shafted, I'm more bitter about the Dark Tower but that's a rant not for this thread haha. I have notice people seem to be genuinely more for characters in fiction to be represented, i.e. more poc women and men, and less focused on there should be more poc writers and directors.

I think this is a big problem in media itself, people forget that the writers and directors are the ones who tell a story, and if it's a engaging story (which is just hard to do in the first place) people tend to write what they know.

Fake Edit: This isn't meant to put down the discussion, I guess I'm just kind of rambling ranting a bit.

For what it's worth, I'm super interested in your take on the Dark Tower, either here, or (I guess) in the black people in horror thread.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

Yeah. I thought Finn was going to be a Jedi and was disappointed that he became more of a comedic sidekick as the movie went on.

It was very disappointing. It looks like his role will be improved in the sequel, hopefully by a lot - they even gave him a pretend lightsaber! :/

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Another update from me: 150 to go and I'll be moving on November 1st. Thanks all!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Fluffdaddy posted:

Another update from me: 150 to go and I'll be moving on November 1st. Thanks all!

Good on you, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I wanted it to be him and Rey to both connecting to the force and tag teaming Kylo at the end. It was a disappointment.

• Locked thread