Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was curious about what happens when two different systems of privilege collide; do racist brains get some kind of floating point error?

The police have enormous privilege; and white people will idolize them and feel like their actions are completely justified.

White victims of violence have enormous privilege as well - if a white kid dies, it's a national tragedy. Their actions leading up to their death are often taken at face value, lawsuits and legislation are quick to follow.

So what happens when you get a race - reversed Tamir Rice incident? A uniformed black police officer shoots and kills a white kid playing with a toy gun. Will the privilege of being an officer override the privilege of being a white victim? Will the officer's colleagues and union stand behind him with the same vigor as a white officer? Could we expect the same degree of victim blaming levied at the child, or will he be deified for being an innocent victim of police misconduct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'm pretty sure that police privilege is just an extension of white privilege. So in that example the black officer would be quickly charged and punished.

But wouldn't singling him out jeopardize all the white police officers when their own conduct gets called into question eventually? I thought the blue wall of silence would prevail in this situation?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The Simpsons live in Springfield, North Tacoma (NT)

And in other cartoon news more relevant to this thread, Skeeter from Doug was black.

Makes perfect sense. But was the 'honk honk!' gimmick some sort of coded dogwhistle? :tinfoil:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SwimmingSpider posted:

I'm not sure about eveyrone else, but Franchesca Ramsey has gotten a gig with MTV talking Social Justice issues called "Decoded".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDCADWyaiI

Her latest video about White Fragility has spawned dozens of angry "Debunking" videos that are, of course, perfect examples of White Fragility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCFy4mFWRM

Her video was really cool and gave me some tools to use on racists in Facebook. Getting somebody to answer honestly the question of "Are you angry at the problem, or the people pointing it out?" and I agree with her that talking about race is a taboo subject in a lot of white families. Much like how talking about wages is taboo, and not surprisingly its the white people who barely make a dollar above minimum wage who are the most strident opponents of raising minimum wage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There are prostests in Oakland happening already.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Let me tell you about log cabin republicans...

gay white men have been basically fine with most of white america for a long time and they straight up do not give a gently caress about the rest of the queer community except when the queer community can help them get something they want. they got marriage equality, so now it's straight back to voting republican so that they can get tax breaks on their "we're two white men" income.

What happens to them when Pence tries to roll back marriage equity not to mention other legal workplace protections?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

I think there are like 3 different things this white man said which get him a chair to the face each time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
KTVU channel 2 was showing protests in San Francisco this morning with GA students that walked out to protest the election. A whole procession of rightly angry young prior of color flipping off the camera and mouthing "gently caress this country /President" (audio was cut). It abruptly went back to the frantic news anchor who was making the 'cut! Cut!' gesture before realizing she was on air and she apologized for the explicit language and gestures.

Frankly I think they should've just aired it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really wish people would come in and stop poo poo posting in here. It's bad enough the mods created these forum ghettos to 'contain' certain voices but even these aren't even safe.

Negromancer, Koalas March, Tiny Brontosaurus and many others have given white posters in here far more slack than they deserve. You can say an unintentionally insensitive question, apologize when your get your rear end checked for it, and they will acknowledge your apology. You can ask direct questions and they will answer if they are relevant.

Personally I'm glad we have this thread. I've learned a lot from it, and definitely want to continue to learn.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

visceril posted:

That makes his Venture Brothers counterpart even funnier to me now: "No, I only hunt Blaculas!"

Also echoing the love for Designated Survivor. Now that they've arrested the Michigan governor, some other governors are now demanding he deport all Syrian refugees and institute an immigration ban or else they will block elections on a new congress

I kinda wondered if Jefferson Twilight was a problematic depiction because they basically gave him aquamans scope of powers in the grand scheme of things.

"No Blaculas here, though I wouldn't rule out Caucasian vampires"

He did help Dr. Orpheus in one episode by virtue of being half vampire granted.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If jurors got compensated better for their time I'm sure you'd see more diverse juries. I'm assuming most people that intend to sit on a jury are old white people because they have the privilege of time. If people didn't have to bow out because of financial reasons more people of color could afford to participate.

The downside is that the increased cost would just put even more pressure on the DA to get people to plead out, and possibly fewer people would get a fair trial.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

This mentality of "hi I think of myself as a human being" "Oh you're so entitled demanding everyone AGREE with you" everything is equal truth is in the middle bullshit is exactly what got us here. Sometimes both sides aren't equally bad. Sometimes two opinions aren't equally valid. Sometimes there's such a thing as right and wrong.

This is definitely something that I am realizing. Also, saying stuff like "Difference of opinion" is reserved for things like "I don't like coffee" not "I don't think black people deserve basic human privileges" . Huge blind spot for a whole lotta white people.

Something I am dealing with lately is that the last week or so reading this thread and the Misogynoir thread has made me realize the sheer depth and scope of racism in America. I knew it was bad, and I thought I understood it better than most other white people, but reading the experiences and bullshit poc have to go through makes me sometimes feel like that fat guy in Mallrats that didn't see the Sailboat in the Magic Eye picture until the end of the film, and spent his whole life :downs: trying to understand. I feel guilty about that; people can change but they should still own up to who they were up to that point (as the son of a born-again Christian dad who likes to pretend everything that happened the 42 years before he found Jesus wasn't relevant).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think something that Koalas March, Tiny Brontosaurus, Gfsincere and others did that takes a ton of class is to call out stuff they feel is unacceptable in their space, and yet be open to people willing to come around and accept sincere apologies.

To me, this disarms a lot of the morons on SA. If someone was genuinely being naive, they are given a ton of leeway to sort that poo poo out with themselves. If not, please take the next left out of Negrotown. It would have been totally reasonable for them to want to have a poc-only space, and shout down everybody that said something stupid. But they are all patient enough to know that some people are genuinely curious and open to change.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PantherWill posted:

Will that pickup be rolling coal the whole time for the full douche?

Followed by stalling his engine and having a poc tow his sorry rear end home.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While I know this thread is going in a lot of different directions, I'm interested in hearing about experiences about trans-racial adoption. How do you feel about children of color being adopted by white people? Is it another example of white supremacy? I know I've read horror stories about Native American adopted kids fostered by white families who only do it for the money (particularly in places like the Dakotas), and I can't imagine what black children go through in the foster care system. Somebody upthread (or in the Misogynoir thread) touched on having a family member raised by white parents that never touched on race.

Granted, I'm privileged by being white, and I can only imagine a nasty culture shock from someone raised to think of a Just World only to have it smacked down because of their appearance. Hence I'm interested in personal experiences with people that grew up with adoptive parents that were a different race, both positive and negative. Prospective parents of foster care/adoption need to be mindful of the very real possibility that their children could be very different from them both physically and culturally. While everybody wants to bring up their children after their own culture for foster care or adoptive parents I feel like they need to be mindful of the cultural background of the children themselves.

I've heard an anecdote that every parent of color has had to have the 'talk' with their kids; far from the birds and the bees I assume this talk is about how some people will refuse to treat them the same as they would treat white people. This is an experience obviously different than white people raising their white children under just world logic: "don't do anything that would look bad" "only bad people in the world get punished" "there is always a reasonable outlet for your feelings of anger/injustice". A white person raising up a child of color is going to need to be mindful of the fact that their own child won't necessarily have the privileges growing up they did, and because of that will need to make it a point to help their own child realize this.

While I definitely agree white people have a TON of privileges, some white people for various reasons don't have the privileges of having children biologically and I'd be interested in the experiences of people under adoption/foster care.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah, in Cali, especially the Bay Area, ESPECIALLY if you're fortunate enough to be white, I feel like we all live in a bubble. After the election, I thought people would be a lot more pissed off, but a lot of people were surprisingly like "well that's too bad, I guess we'll have to see what Trump does" as though what affected 80% of the rest of the country didn't matter. Even people of color I talked to didn't seem particularly worried or outraged, but again, we are in a way somewhat 'protected' from the worst potential effects.

I would say the biggest problem is that people in the Bay Area see how everybody seems to get along and all and just projects that illusion on the rest of the US. It is so much harder for them to accept that it isn't the case. Admittedly, I can't blame them-

[person of color has a crisis]

[white person in the Bay Area] Cant you just (oh wait, your county/state doesn't have that option)

Ok can't you just (oh, maybe someone in that situation isn't flush with cash to afford a lawyer)

Well you can always move (assuming the person is willing to uproot everything to live in a distant place away from any support system they might have up to that point)

I'll admit I was guilty of this for a long time. Working a government job in California gives you a really distorted view of just how lovely employers can treat you, because you are so insulated from the worst of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A lot of assumptions I had about people of color dating and various preferences have been shattered after reading people's personal experiences. I had previously been told matter of factly how black women were just less likely to date non black men, it never had occurred to be that people simply didn't want to date black women. So I had it completely backwards.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Zapf Dingbat posted:

It's been really weird in my house this past week.

I'm a white guy married to a black woman, both of us born, raised, and currently living in Alabama. We've been married for 10 years. I used to be a libertarian shitheel but eventually got woke through a continual dose of hypocrisy from that crowd and exposure to my in-laws.

I've had the privilege of being angry at the election, but of course my wife is scared and despondent. I'm scared for her too, and I've been trying my best not to look angry like it's a fun pastime, like some white liberals can be. Trying to keep her spirits up and letting her know I've got her back.

I've burned a few bridges this past week, going against rules of Southern politeness when talking about anything opposing the good old boys.

Just waiting to become competitive enough in my professional field to be able to move to ATL or somewhere, I don't know.

I think i made myself sad typing this.
Don't feel bad. The people that make me particularly furious are people who shut down dissent to the point that they make everybody around them feel guilty for daring to go against the grain. They get so :qq: about the concept of people telling them "Your racism is bad and you should feel bad" like it's the gravest insult you can throw at them.

This also makes me believe they know exactly what they are doing ; if they really didn't know how they were making others feel, they wouldn't get so defensive or double down on racist garbage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought it was the white kids that were grossly over diagnosed by their parents as a smokescreen to hide the shame that these white kids, for all their role models, support, and safety, might just be lazy and dumb. Then the parents get to insist on all these accommodations for their golden child that conveniently only the 'struggling white kid' seems to get.

Negromancer's description of how much mediocrity exists in white employees of certain fields seems to lend weight to this possibility.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In regards to representation, I've been paying much closer attention to people of color in not just TV shows but also TV commercials and how they are portrayed.

Also people on Facebook bitching about how the musical Hamilton was racist for allegedly not letting white people audition :suicide:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Death Bot posted:

Been reading this thread for the last week, good to help me rethink some poo poo. I live in Macomb county but have never actually worked in it, and Michigan has always been a racist hell hole and I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

Keep it up guys, and any suggestions for how I can help as a reclusive white guy who only knows white people would be nice if you've got them. I've done my fair share of reading and sharing, but I'm sure I can do better :v:

Aren't the Humans of New York people doing interviews for people in Malcomb county? The name sounded familiar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yes they are (I live right at the corner of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties). HONY's fetishization of the poor, poor white people in Macomb county is dumb as hell.

Don't read the comments on Facebook :negative:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with black people. Can everybody stop using the two black threads, aka the mod-decreed only place black posters are allowed to post in D&D, as catchall threads for whatever you want to talk about?

Sorry for starting the derail. The mention of that county pinged my memory and the comments in Facebook tried to suggest it was Pleasantville where racism didn't exist.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I heard Kanye was put under observation for his erratic behavior. Undiagnosed mental illness? It would explain the erratic behavior at his concert.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So is the premise psycho white couple is giving black folks the Stepford Wife type treatment?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm honestly a little jealous I didn't get one of these red texts. Guess I'm still not woke enough :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

negromancer posted:

I think my favorite liberal talking point is "well demographic changes are going to make Republicans obsolete in x years" and it's only white folks saying that, because black people know what Apartheid is and how white supremacy controlled a country where white people were a hella tiny minority.

How about generational ones? Wasn't there a very different potential outcome to the election if you looked at how younger people voted? Do you think it'll be just as bad when all the Boomers die off?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think given America has voluntary voting, its very dangerous to assume the demographics will hold 4/8/12 years down the line. There is much the polls don't catch, and if a candidate strikes the right chord a lot of people will show up for quite some time.

There are plenty of nasty people ready to take the place of Boomers, and they will vote if they feel their place in the world threatened. The reality distortion field that is being white is a hell of a drug.

Yeah but are they as big of a % as Boomers?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Calling Obama's blackness into question in regards to not being black enough feels like a No True Scotsman.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Not a Step posted:

Its already happening. Although I don't think Latins were ever in danger of being irrelevant.

I think they meant it the other way around. Whites are gradually becoming less significant of a majority, but counting Latinos as 'white' would reverse this. Young Latinos are going to be a major voting bloc in the next decade. Most of their parents who immigrated to the US did so when they themselves were young adults.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raerlynn posted:

No no no, custom av and title. "Negromancer, Arbiter of Blackness" has a nice flow to it.

poo poo, now I have to find an avatar that makes that work.

Maybe some kind of color swatches?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People flipped out that Idris Elba played Heimdall but I thought he was metal as gently caress in the role.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When did this thread start devouring itself :stonk:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Seems fine to me. The sort of villains I'm talking about tend to have a list of traits sort of like this:
  • Does not trust anyone and also double-crosses everyone
  • Resorts to physical violence extremely quickly
  • Values personal gain over all else, even their own family
  • Is really good at beating people up because, you know, all black people are really good fighters?
  • Nearly always an enforcer for some bigger badder white villain
  • Almost never female. Black female villains are their own whole other can of worms that could be dug into in the misogynoir thread if someone wanted to.

You just see this guy over and over in so many movies and shows and it gets annoying. Hell, in the case I'm talking about (Revolution) the same actor played a similar villain in Breaking Bad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giancarlo_Esposito) and while he had slightly more depth in that show, he still mostly checked all the boxes I list above.

There's lots of stereotyped roles for white people too, but what I think is worth noticing is that there's a greater diversity of what stereotypes white characters slot into, whereas there's only a couple archetypes that most black characters slot into. A lot of this is, probably, the total lack of exposure most Hollywood people have to any kind of black experience and TB is a brave soul for dedicating her career to fighting against this issue.
I think perhaps part of the problem with black typecast villains is that the writers are playing into the anxieties of white audiences about black men. So the character becomes this exaggerated vision of what an 18-35 year old white guy would find in intimidating. While white villains can be cunning, well connected, skilled etc black villains often seem to be much more physical.

I would respectfully disagree about Esposito's role as Gustavo in Breaking Bad though. He was one of my favorite characters in the series and I felt like he was very different character than most black actors would get typecast into.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gaunab posted:

I had to tell a friend yesterday that racism still exist. It's the second time I've had to tell someone that in two weeks. It was so dumbfounding. He also showed me this video. Middle class white people really want to hold onto the idea that they got where they are thanks to hard work.

They don't want to think about racism because if they do then it internally holds them accountable. And it simultaneously doesn't exist but does exist but only the guys in pointy white hoods believe it. Everything about the behavior is distancing themselves from the problem as much as possible.

They see the world through their own lens and because their world caters so heavily to them, it's a self reinforcing set of beliefs. Since they don't think anybody should get something they didn't earn, they'll never accept they have things they themselves didn't really earn.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

negromancer posted:

That and the Kung Fu Wolf Bitch I think the episode is called. The summary of the episode was "it don't matter how interesting you are if you listen to your single rear end homegirls you always gonna be single."

I remember watching that episode thinking "everyone in that house trippin". Let me find a woman that participates in a real life Mortal Kombat and I'm marrying her on sight.

I thought the problem with Luna was that she was really needy because all her exes were abusive to her?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone seen fences yet? I liked it and enjoyed how multifaceted Denzel's character was. Viola Davis was great too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Aren't there still high school proms that are still segregated in some places? Basically all the white kids in the school shell out for a 'private' prom so they don't have to dance in the same venue as the black kids. hosed up if true.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something I've noticed regarding Somethingawful board culture:

SA is among the more outspoken message boards when it comes to speaking out against pedophilia. People that promote, rationalize, or defend it are sharply ostracized and banned. Previous tolerance of it ("Mods knew" meme, Frontpage content ) are seen as shameful and bad. So there's this understanding that the board culture doesn't tolerate it and a poster that condones it will be run out. People also don't get away with talking about it ironically either.

This isn't necessarily because most goons have children: I'd argue the majority on SA don't. And not everybody themselves was molested or necessarily knew someone that was. So at this point, most goons are sharing these opinions about it out of empathy and justice. Supposedly.

Here's where it gets turned on its head. Replace 'pedophilia' with 'racism' and its a different story. You can be racist shitheel and goons will tolerate it, defend it, rationalize it, and turn on the person of color speaking out. It's the same story with sexism as well. Goons like to feel good about themselves by contrasting themselves with egregious imgur or reddit posts but that's really like bragging about being the world's tallest midget here. We don't have a down vote system, but that doesn't stop people from getting reported and red texted for wrongthink in board culture.

Goons can't seem to apply the same rancor they have against underage anime waifus for actual racism and sexism on the boards. Which makes me question the sincerity they have for the former. The cynic in me feels like taking an 'anti pedophile' stance on SA is popular not because its a decent attitude to have about the subject but because it's a safe opinion to have right now. Speaking out about racists and sexists, to the average white cis poster, risks being on the wrong side of the argument since the board culture isn't as strongly against racism and sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Eh, the minimum wage in San Francisco could be $5 an hour and housing prices would be just as bad. Theres a lot of scarcity due to foreign investment, air bnb letting building owners turn their properties into fauxtels and the trendiness of the area to single techbros cuts down on vacant rental units considerably. Popular cities with good weather are always going to be prohibitively expensive, especially cities built in the tip of a peninsula that limits growth.

I wouldn't want conservatives to latch onto the idea that raising the minimum wage is indirectly bad for minorities because it will give them yet another excuse to justify keeping it down by feigning sincerity "no see keeping minimum wage low is good for poor blacks see..."

• Locked thread