Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
SO I get the rules of this place but I don't get the why exactly. Is this the right place to ask why something awful has a negro town? Is there a story? I've had problems being black on this site but I'm not sure this is the place that cares about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Morby posted:

Black posters wanted to talk about the black experience in D&D's USPOL thread. Subtle racism ensued, black posters got upset, and were disproportionately probated or banned for it. The mod team made the decision that black issues were not germane to USPOL, so black posters made a Negrotown thread. Good discussions and offsite drama happened. Lowtax came into the thread last week and said "Hey, would you like a subforum dedicated to this?" and 5 mins later here we are. Go back about 30 pages or so to see the full origin story.

Does anyone want to care about us or is it purely a circle poc jerk? I'm cool either way but like you know.... tone is important.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

No, this is exactly the place that cares about that.

It exists precisely because black posters kept getting shouted down any time they tried to bring up issues affecting PoC in D&D, and a lot of white posters were unhappy and having their white feelings hurt from having a mod in D&D who was black and didn't put up with their poo poo, so this was created as a place where racial issues can be discussed without being tone policed, concern trolled, or drowned out by white noise.

Ohhhhh.

So is it just me who now understands that to advance black issues we have to first appease white people first? I tried to fight it when Bernie was around but I don't see a legit way of shoehorning in black issues anymore. I was literally just talking about that.

I also got in an argument 2 days ago about how when you're black you don't get to vote yourself or your family but instead you have to vote for a race and I think that's the defining gap.

Those are my black issues of the day.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Morby posted:

For the record, these are the exact types of contributions that this thread was created for. And, yeah, I also get really frustrated with 3rd party "I'm just voting my conscience!" rhetoric. We really don't have that kind of leeway as a community.

Edit: I don't think we need to appease white people, but we definitely have to convince enough of them to listen to us to tip the scales ever so slightly into our favor. We as a community, by ourselves, cannot fix things alone and we honestly shouldn't have to.

Appeasement in my mind is no different than having to let go of your minority values. The biggest gripe i had this election was the rhetoric of dollars over access. Someone would say we need to raise the minimum wage and I'd have to flail my arms talking about the double unemployment numbers. I guess what I'm saying is I have to take 15 an hour.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Black unemployment is 8.8%. how is an increase in the minimum wage going to help that?

Hospital bed access is dropping for black people so that creates problems regardless of your insurance. It means you have way less health benefits.

If you go to a bad high school to where you can't get into a great college, why does it matter it's free.

Black people are way behind so each policy requires an additional step. I've explained this until im blue in the face but you know... We need free healthcare right?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

gently caress Whitey posted:

this presumes that a minwage increase would necessarily cause inflation and isn't actually a response to inflation itself

Inflation? The gently caress? First off no and second off you're also making it sound like a bad thing.

Panfilo posted:

What groups would disproportionately benefit from increasing the minimum wage? Should we base it on the group that has the highest % of its members living on minimum wage, or the biggest group in the US that makes minimum wage?

BLS 2015 report says that black people have about 1% more of the total work force working minimum wage than white people do. That means there are about 100k more black people on minimum wage if you're comparing the disproportionate number between the two. IE, if white people had a 1% increase in minimum wage workers it would be about 600k people, to black people's 100k. Got it?

OK so the total labor force of black workers is about 18 Million, and unemployement as a whole is at 4.4, compared to black people's 8.8%. That's a 4.4% premium making unemployment specifically affecting black people at a difference of 792,000. So what's more important, increasing the minimum wage for 100k black people or creating 800k jobs specifically for black people?

Basically gently caress the minimum wage debate i'm tired of it it's not the problem.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 23, 2017

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I changed what I said to be nicer.

Your argument is that doesn't adding a bucket of water to the river add to the flood?

I mean like yeah...... technically

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

gently caress Whitey posted:

oh i see you're responding to me telling a guy that no minwage increase would not cause inflation and thinking i'm saying it would cause inflation, probably because you're a work crew brokebrain

Work crew broke brain. Is this a thing?

I'll have to make that gang tag.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What's a good way to make a lets eat food thread. I wana turn on someone to some hamhocks n greens.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Haha, the Tolkien Dwarves are even described by him as being based on Jews.

Which is just so white supremacist when you consider that those Dwarves were made by the Tolkien gods by shaping them from the clay of the earth... like golems.

Huh yeah that now makes a shitload of hilarious sense with how much they love gold and treasure and dislike the good white people.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah it's amazing how much not being able to get an award follows you. We just saw James White get snubbed because of this.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I will say one thing and that is since the election I really do feel like I can make fun of white people both in life and forums with impunity because motherfuckers at least owe me that much

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to go see Get Out tonight. I'll report back how good it was.

It sounds good on paper anyway.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Get out was solid as gently caress. Though I'm not really sure if the message is too overbearing but then again it just may have resonated so insanely brightly that it seems not subtle

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I'm curious as hell how folks in this thread feel about the way the Best Picture Oscar fiasco went down.

Ohhh internet told me.

Uhhh lol? I dunno it's a mixup what's the racial component?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I wanted to check out this film for many reasons, but now I'm scared and have a question:

If I see this movie, am I going to laugh at myself Key and Peele style, or will my wrists be cut when my white fragility shatters like a plate glass window?

Yes

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I'm gonna assume my 4 year old shouldn't see this one... yet.

Best case scenario she has no idea what's going on and doesn't care, but that is the BEST. For real though don't bring your 4 year old she won't get it on so many levels and could be legit terrified.

Bring your loud rear end family.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Outside of literally enslaving or murdering other races, I cannot think of something more racist than black-face.

Throwing out N--bombs in a modern day society is pretty heinous

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I was upset by the punishment those 2 got, but overall I'm fairly upset at the criminal justice system and especially how long black people go to jail.

What will they learn in 17 that they couldn't learn in 5

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just LOL if you think any part of the American Criminal Justice System has anything to do with rehabilitation as opposed to punishment and free labor for private corporations.

It's not what I think it is it's what i Hope it becomes and I don't think puting a dude in jail for 17 years for being a racist jackass is progress on any level. Also cheering it as much as I've seen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The application of idealistic sentencing should first go to the minorities that have been oppressed by the justice system, not the whites that continue to benefit from it so much in literally every single arena of criminal law.

From the justice system perspective or the personal perspective? Why can't it be both if it's personal? I'm not going to be happy about a jackass white doing going to jail for 17 years for being a racist and I won't be happy for a black dude going to jail for 3 years for having a dime bag on him.

xthetenth posted:

I'm torn on it. I'm kind of glad to see the fangs coming out in this case, and I hope it actually leads to people giving it a more critical look, but it's probably just another one of those cases where it goes over the line to where everyone's comfortable throwing the book at them and is going to get used to normalize all sorts of wildly inappropriate punishments in the future and is just the exception that proves the rule.

Exactly. Systematic issues beget systematic issues.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

there wolf posted:

For threatening people with a gun. That's not just being a jackass and we shouldn't downplay the seriousness of the crime just to make a case for more reasonable sentencing. This poo poo deserves to have the book thrown at it. The fact that the book needs drastic change is it's own issue.

Fine racist oval office, my point still stands

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

America's prison system isn't rehabilitation. At best it just delays their next crime. Under such ridiculous circumstances it makes sense to hope that someone who threatened a black child with a weapon for the crime of being black is prevented from continuing their horrible act for as long as possible.

Using this logic then under this system life is not than reasonable

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Squashing Machine posted:

Oh look, another GRS red text. Thanks, whoever. Another Great Nuanced Take

Edit:

Historically, it never works out that way. Sentencing has a tendency to creep upward and there are very few politicians who go to bat against the prison system. Saying "I'm fine with outsized sentences when they're applied in a way that I find personally satisfying" robs you of the moral high ground you need when facing off against a conservative who gets hard at the thought of 20 year sentencing minimums for drug possession.

Hahaha you had the mildest of all takes on this subject but you made out with the red text. Way to go!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Yall went and lost yo god drat minds over the past week.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

New girlfriend and I were out (she's white though technically half hispanic) couch shopping looking for a sectional. We went to the first place, and a black dude greeted us, then effectively kept his distance far far away and was little to no help, but at the end mumbled a couple things and gave us his card.

So after shopping at like 10 places we decide to go back to the first place we went to to get that couch cause it was awesome. I was telling her on the way I'm glad Tylon is going to get the assist on this one. She's like nfw we can't give it to Tylon he didn't do anything. I was like yeah but still Tylon is black he gets the assist.

We met in the middle and Tylon got half the commission for effectively doing nothing but she was getting heated over it. Luckily it's cool and nobody really cared but still I mean yall would give Tylon the commission in this situation even though he did jack poo poo to earn it right? Gotta help out the community and all.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

drat afurniture action.

:drat:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If he's black let him say his word it's a kitchen for fucks sake

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Endorph posted:

i have a distant cousin who goes to uva and her boyfriend is black and apparently during all the poo poo that went down during those like 24 hours she was just holed up in her room having a continuous panic attack that she was gonna get raped and/or lynched for being a race traitor, so now shes in a hospital, still having a panic attack

her boyfriend is back home in nigeria too 'cause his grandma died and she was originally gonna go with him but he and her mom told her that she should really focus on her studies. lol. life owns. i hope she doesnt turn into a broken shell of a human being, her family's pretty well off so she's been really sheltered. otoh at least she can afford therapy. still tho jesus

Can't handle E/N today

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hey n black people I need to do some work in the community, can y'all tell me how to teach whitey that I'm white to even though I'm white? Thanks for being like totally understanding I dunno how you got sick a bad rep you're all good people in my eyes, we'll only my eyes

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Beyonce is loving fire in that dress

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Asap ferg makes me want to gently caress with do rags when I got my 50s gotta say

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I just saw how much work Tiny has put into getting probated god daaamnnnn that's a lot for a year's worth of posting

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

What the hell is wrong with you? Did you just come in here to gloat about her getting probated?

I mean, it's almost like norms and rules aren't applied equally.

I was reading the thread, clicked on how she got probated, noticed she has a huge list within a year, then made a comment on it. 99.9% of the time commenting on someone's probation isn't an issue, did I break a something awful norm/unofficial rule that you aren't supposed to talk about someone's rap sheet in a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I think the point of contention is that she actually has to put in any work at all to get probated. Your initial post sounds very condescending.

Well when you make someone for getting probated/banned once a week over a year yeah that'll happen.

Comedy forum and all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread